What are the weirdest monsters in fantasy rpgs...

What are the weirdest monsters in fantasy rpgs? I don't mean ones that everyone knows about at this point like Beholders and Rust Monsters, but obscure shit like Froghemoths, Nilbogs and Adherers.

show me your favorites Veeky Forums. or least favorites if it's Pathfinder

This lovely lady

MPREG. MPREG everywhere.

I think this guy knows this lady....Also this is why I play constructs when ever possible...

I'm sure there's something equally horrifying for constructs

Oh yeah for sure, heck if we go with my own construct which is warforged, her aura would probably make there wooden part alive and use that.

The wooden parts of Warforged are already alive. It's called "livewood". Warforged are themselves "living constructs" as they can age and grow and have souls as compared to other constructs that aren't "alive". Rather than being built they form in pod things that all the ingredients are dumped into and arcane energies infuse them amd bring them to lif though a not so wholly understood process.

The idea that they're just golems with free will is a common misconception they deal with in and outside the setting.

And of course when they get put in other settings, most of the original fluff goes out of the window too.

Yeah but I mentioned it for purposes of being effected by Drakainia. Which kind of needs living host.

Remember when this was in powerlevel threads everywhere?

Shame characters with meta powers are the new meta

The witcher monsters are pretty weird, like zeugls and it's idea of vampires

>show me your favorites Veeky Forums. or least favorites
I'm not sure which one this is but it's definitely one of the two

I really do love aboleths. Gigantic psychic lampreys with an ancestral memory so they remember when they ruled the world, not the gods. And they aren't happy about that, not at all, no sir.

I recently used this along with Sahuagins who could control them with their shark telepathy. Everyone had a great time.

>Yeah but I mentioned it for purposes of being effected by Drakainia. Which kind of needs living host.

And I was just saying that Warforged actually are living things.

Had a creature that was basically the witch from left 4 dead except pregnant and when she died a smaller zombie baby would come out to attack and after it died a smaller baby would rip its way out and this would continue to like four iterations until they finally stopped. I liked my "nesting dolls" monster.

>Eventually becomes a microscopic parasite
>Then becomes a virus
>Then becomes an idea in your head.
>Then becomes the absence of an idea in your head.
I would fucking kill myself.

>Then becomes an idea in your head.
>Then becomes the absence of an idea in your head.
That's how it wins.

For all their infamy, drakainias don't get much fanart.

I like them. I'm not really sure why. I think there's just something intrinsically comical about "I'm going to give birth at you!" as a combat strategy.

Is that some giant space hamster there user? I once sent my group on a harrowing quest to retrieve a lost miniature giant space hamster, to the great delight of all.

Yes it is. They seem to be the symbol of everything wrong with Spelljammer, but I happen to love them (and totally see why most people think they're stupid)
For the uninitiated, they also come in saber-toothed varieties

Orcwort. An evil, mobile, living tree that has fruit that turns into orc-like beings called wortlings, who go out & kill things to bring back to the tree for food.

no other monster has ever surpassed their origin setting to the point where no one knows anything about world of synnabarr except for the flying bears with laser eyes.

what the everloving fuck

Orcworts are fucking awesome. I blocked off a part of my world map with a forest of them. At low levels it was meant to block the players from going there, but later on it enticed them because fifty thousand wortlings devastated every bordering city.

Why would you ever need to know about anything else when there's fucking winged laser bears?

Modrons, when played right by a good dm, can be terrifying.

They can also be silly comedic relief.

Cute little robots that act as highly efficient killing machines in combat are a neat concept.

>Pentadrone

Modrons are some of the most cool and inventive creatures ever to come out of D&D. Apparently some people don’t like them; I really can’t fathom why.

I should think a SHARKTOPUS would be a good D&D monster.

Actually, a lot of the monsters from SyFy original movies would be good D&D monsters (despite being in terrible movies).

Personal favorite: GHOST SHARK

I like them,when they aren't powering gnome ships.

>Take a shark
>Remove the fact that you're safe from it out of water
>Give it resistance or outright immunity to non-silvered or magical weapons.
>Phase through fucking walls
>Undead
>Higher HP
>Same screamingly fast swim speed through the air as it does in water.
>And it's a ghost so it probably hates people for some reason.
Guess I'm statting out ghost sharks now. Give a nice couple minions for the high-level undead whale I wanna do.

Ghost sea life in general would be terrifying since they wouldn't need to stay in the water.

>powering gnome ships.
I like to think I'm good at Spelljammer lore. How'd I miss this?

>lich whale
>hides it's phylactery inside it's massive body

If you call the undead whale anything but the White Whale you're a fucking fool.

Surely you mean the Wight Whale

What they had psychic powers, weighed over 3 tons, and and lived forever?

>The White Wight Whale

I had my party fight a dung beetle rolling around a giant demonic head filled with skulls. They also fought ordinary dung beetles at the same time, which were weak but annoying because they'd kick their dung balls at them.

Is that an aboleth? I always thought they looked more smooth and slimy.

Yes. Tried to find one that relatively shark-like. Pic related will always be the "true" aboleth to me

Now I want to see the sheet for umbrals and this Tamas guy

The Ghost Shark WAS pretty damn badass. Its only limitation, as far as I could tell, was that it needed its victim to be somewhat near some water -- it manifested from the water and then could ghost-swim through the air or ground or anything.

And it didn't need to be a lot of water -- at one point it leapt out of a regular ol' bucket of water!

(The slip-n'-slide moment was fun too.)

Oh my god that's AWESOME

>Hides his phylactery inside a human sized walking puppet, inside his body
FTFY

Squid shark (or squark) is a monster in Dark Sun.

I made pc race similar to them (minus combat birth strategy) just monster mothers that live in dangerous areas with there minions.
One of the players is actually using it and it turned out to be a rather decent race (also great masterminds ironicly with there minions looking like humanoids)

That's the murderous meme monster from Numenera.

It's a variant third party aboleth with more powers.

what's funny is that in the early 90s, the winged laser bears were the reason people had for saying it was a shitty setting. Such was the shitty edgelordy seriousness of the period in D&D.

(that's basically why FATAL happened)

>kidnaps sailors and implants it's phylactery inside them before wiping their memory of what happened to them
>the sailors often wash up on shore again, with strange scars and the occasional missing limb they can't explain
>the sailors then feel compelled to find the wight whale again but don't know why, most mistake it for a need for revenge and try to kill the wight whale
>not realising that if the wight whale is ever killed, it'll reform and burst out of their body, killing them too and beginning the cycle a new as the wight whale finds another sailor to implant its phylactery inside of

>Actually, a lot of the monsters from SyFy original movies would be good D&D monsters (despite being in terrible movies).

A lot of monsters in D&D ARE from old sci-fi/horror movies. The Hammer films in particular were influential on D&D's monsters.

>wight whale
You cheeky fucker.

Pathfinder has the Lusca, which is a 3-headed Sharktopus with poisonous tentacle attacks, electricity immunity, and the ability to generate storms via a variant Control Weather SLA. Does that count?

My DM dislikes constructs in general. Will only let me play warforged after bombarding him with more ridiculous character concepts.

Is that an abolich?

you posted it already.

I gotta run Barrier Peaks one of these days.

I kinda like this hagfish-like one.

I'd like it more if he didn't look like Bam-bam clutching that bone

Well this came up in games I played in the past as a horrible mutant

nani the fuck?

Hagfish-abokeths will always be how I see them. Pretty sure they are based on hagfish, in fact, given the general appearance, the slime, and the fact that they are very old and alien creatures.

That sounds very much like a race I wrote stats for a while back. It ended up pretty well, I think, although the ability to spawn minions ended up almost incidental compared to the much more intresting ability to customise the character by picking from a list of different adaptions.

Yeah, I think it's just a method to show their sentience, that it's a tool user. Not great, but eh.

The artist's done some other neat designs for "natural" D&D monsters, including the Carrion Crawler (based on a velvet worm), an Achaierai (as a land based pterosaur), and the otyugh (as a relative of the frogemoth, and both aliens)

Everyone posts this all the time but a lot of people ignore some of the other cool weird shit from the immortals handbook because its numbers arent as high.

Also here are the stats for the DM
Technically

Brain monsters always bugged me because it's just human brain with stuff added

Here. The best creature.

this thread needed more cum, thank you.

That reminds me of the time the elf ranger used one of the she named slimy to impregnate a royal with a demon baby she later ate. I wanna die, send new friends