What are examples of punks besides steampunk and cyberpunk?

What are examples of punks besides steampunk and cyberpunk?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lxn-6DAuqyk
youtube.com/watch?v=cLnkQAeMbIM
youtube.com/watch?v=FUxGpv1O-Zk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Atompunk, Dieselpunk, Cyberpunk to name a few.

But honestly, I hope the guy in the picture gets cucked by a football player or any guy with a little bit of testosterone.

Hardcore Punk
Crust Punk
Anarcho Punk
Metalcore
Deathcore
Grindcore

Dieselpunk, aka bestpunk. Atompunk is okay but only if you really love Fallout. I'm not that huge into 50s crap so it doesn't appeal to me too much.

I refuse to recognise anything but Cyberpunk and Steampunk. Anything else is made-up ill-defined bullshit.

Flintstones is a good example of stone punk

The irony here is that he actually has good t-levels (just like many lumbersexual nu-males) because one can't grow a beard like that without testosterone. They're living proof that testosterone alone doesn't make one alpha.

Why not have both?

>Crust Punk

(googles)...huh, so like Hobo Punk.

Best punk = DECOpunk

I find that people who randomly start talking about cucks and alphas on Veeky Forums have a very hard time attracting women.

How would you find that? What is your observational method? How are you defeating the anonymity of the site, then following the posters through their social lives?

>ctrl+f fruitpunk
>no results
plebs, the lot of you

That's usually just dieselpunk or atompunk with a cooler name though. Also, art deco is just aesthetic that could go well with almost any kind of punk.

Oh man, that was a while ago

As an example of one that isn't explicitly a "-punk", the synthwave/outrun/we-haven't-decided-what-to-call-it retro-80's aesthetic.

There's also "rocketpunk", which is the future by way of the 60's NASA white-paint Apollo mission aesthetic.

Retropunk. It does have a name.

Also synthwave is a beautiful gift and we should cherish it.

STOPPING PUTTING -PUNK AFTER EVERYTHING

absolutely the most hideous one

>Retropunk
That sounds pretty misleading, I mean isn't every "-punk" "retro"?

I don't disagree with you but we have to call things something.

Modempunk handles exactly that time period and aesthetic, but it focuses on hackers. Perhaps more Miami Vice style 80s exploitation could be called cocainepunk.

There's no name for the aesthetic though because there was no art/architecture movement behind it like art deco.

The only "-punk" that's actually punk is cyberpunk, because it includes punk aesthetics and values.

Anyway, I don't think clockpunk has been mentioned yet.

desert-punk was being thrown around here some while ago
although you could argue that featuring a desert doesn't make it a separate genre

>Dune
>Homeworld deserts of kharak
>Desert Punk (duh)
>pretty much all classic post-apocalyptic settings

Fair point, but at least its better than putting gate after anything. That's one that has been done to death. Punk hasn't outstayed its welcome that bad yet

ding dong your opinion is wrong

Seapunk.

youtube.com/watch?v=lxn-6DAuqyk

I have never heard of that term. Besides it doesn't make sense because retro could be anything from past. To millenials it would be 80s, gen z would likely think of 90s and boomers are stuck in 50s. I know that's a gross generalization, but it's just there to illustrate my point.

I'd add Tank Girl, because she's literally a desert punk

I'd say this is a thing, but it could be also seen as subgenre of ecopunk especially if it's post-apoc and has focus on environmental destruction.

Also, don't forget Dark Sun.

How can one man be so wrong?

Spunk

Judging by this thread it's definitely starting to. Half of these terms aren't really agreed upon by anyone, nor are they clear enough to be self-explanatory. And they have zero connection to the original cyberpunk. There's really no point to all these gimmicky "punk" titles.

Punkpunk.

In a world of moahawks, studded leather vests, and total anarchy, one man fights back against the system by just going to work and paying his taxes.

>Tank Girl
Does this count too, then?
youtube.com/watch?v=cLnkQAeMbIM

he's just read some of your posts, verg-o-matic

Unironically punk as fuck

I want to see this made into movie or something.

(reads)...huh, so like reddit fag

I doubt that is unique to Veeky Forums

Superpunk
Starpunk/Spacepunk

Admit it, now you're just making shit up.

Biopunk

Splatterpunk - mostly for books, but stuff like Kult kinda counts

There's solarpunk. I don't think it's really a -punk type of thing, especially because it's super optimistic, but if we're just going by aesthetics then it's a thing.

Selesnya.jpg

I'd watch it. I'd even pay for it in the spirit of things.

How is that literally not just "science fiction"? Are you one of those idiots who thinks "spacepunk" is a thing too?

Honestly I still adore the idea of Steampunk, but at the same time it always leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Actual good outfits are impressive and interesting to see, but at the same time it oozes the same amount of cringe that fat kids wearing fedoras caused. It's a frustrating duality.

Punk was a late 70's fashion movement (there was music too but it was mainly for fashion) The Sex Pistols were fashion models.

Everything after that just used the name "punk" but doesn't really mean anything.

Anarcho-primitivism.

Agree
Hate to sound like a hipster fag but good lord
So much wasted potential

Because it's science fiction portrayed as through an outdated retro view of the future? Cyberpunk is "just science fiction" too, but it's also a specific aesthetic.

>Everything after that just used the name "punk" but doesn't really mean anything.
Everything after was doing it in reference to cyberpunk (which really was "punk".) It's become shorthand for an aesthetic theme, it's okay for words to take on new meanings.

Just make it regular punk wtf is wrong with you

They did have bosses and that considering that Flint would go to work everyday to what looked like a strip mine.

How are NASA capsules outdated? That is literally what we use right now and in all likelihood will use for a long time.

I can't stand people who have to delineate every single aesthetic into its own unique genre.

Why does steampunk attract such cringey retards, anyway?

Biopunk
Atompunk
Dieselpunk

I would think it is the same force and power that compels a man to think a fucking hat will give him sophistication—and sufficient "otherness"—so that he has his own identity.

Victorian period attire can look good but the need to set itself apart by gluing on gearwork for no known utility is kind of gross.
I mean, I like gears. But you'll see that better manifested in Steamboy than in the cosplay shit.

The rarely used Dunkpunk

My favorite genres of punk, loosely categorized into relatively similar styles, since it all kinda blurs to me
Atom/Retro/Rocket-punk
Diesel/WWII-punk
Pulp/Grindhouse/xploitation/funk-punk

FunkPunk

A world of Afros and dance clubs with disco balls everywhere.

Raypunk.

Think Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon.
Also the Adeptus Mechanicus from 40k.

*slams internally*

Wastelandpunk

I almost forgot I was on Veeky Forums for a sec

Clownpunk
Icepunk
Moustachepunk
Aquapunk

>Icepunk
We had a thread on this not too long ago. It's in the archive. So, 1/4 ain't bad.

Is arabpunk a thing? Like cyberpunk except in Baghdad instead of Tokyo.

Probably the best representation of steampunk I can think of in media. Just simple victorian era, no obnoxious gears or chrome aesthetic, just old timey folks with big crazy tech designed around steam power

artpunk, post punk, pop punk

Tom Landry wore a fedora, good enough for me

Hands down my favorite aesthetic. It just does everything I like, although I prefer it to be slightly more modern instead of the sci-fi flavor.

>I don't think it's really a -punk type of thing, especially because it's super optimistic
SolarPunk's form of punk/rebelliousness is in that it rejects the mainstream -punk's dystopian future standard.
It instead claims the future is bright and asethic once you rebel against dead-material-consumer-unsustainable culture, and embrace clean, green, living, colourful etc...

Gatepunk explores the alt 90's in a civil war of anarchist punk/grunge communities against the remaining government after being stripped of most of their power due to the declassification of documents surrounding the Punkgate scandal.

>Gatepunk
I unironically like this if it's instead about grimy sci-fi news reporters fighting to out-do each other's scandals and clickbait in a world of violence and corruption.

Has there been a gategate yet?

Desertpunk.

youtube.com/watch?v=FUxGpv1O-Zk

Stoppingputtingpunkaftereverythingpunk

Punkpunk

Reporters are called "Gaters". They hire gatecrashers to steal stories to report or evidence to imprison. Courts now only exist in newspapers.

Visit Dubai and find out.

I mean it, I was there for work once in 1998 and then again in 2012 and... damn.

Not Punk is probably my favourite.

I think at that point it's called Raygun Gothic

This is just regular punk when they turn 30. Most punk isn't very anti-capital, they just want a different pallet set of beer and girls.

Post gatepunk aesthetic.

Its even shittier than that. All the various Xpunk genres miss the point of cyberpunk, in that technology and a e s t h e t i c aren't evenly distributed or uniform, but for some reason various Xpunk things assume mono culture.

Stop being an insufferable autist. Steampunk and cyberpunk are recognizable to people; swap "steam/cyber" with something else and it becomes shorthand for "like steampunk, but X instead". If that's not an adequate starting point, then -punk suffix is not useful. It's not hard. Get over yourself.

On that note, Solarpunk stands out to me as an interesting example. Now that I'm familiar with what it is as a genre, I'm inclined to use the term. However, it doesn't work as a very good "like Y but X instead" -punk, since so much of solarpunk lies beneath the surface of "things are solar powered, yay" facade. It's charming, but incredibly naive as a societal premise. Also, it's a weird backdrop for conflict, feeling much more like contemporary fiction than something sci-fi or heroic. The science-fiction seems mostly to revolve around renewable energy -which we already have- not being really pushed past the realistic limits like steampunk or dieselpunk are. It's weak as science-fiction and its societal premise doesn't hold much water or conflict, so I don't think it works well as a -punk.

For me it's the "we have enough to survive and even to thrive, but not enough to not make compromises" thing.

The woods outside of town are once again home to wild beasts that can kick your ass, and your gauss pistol only gets ten charges a day, past that you better relearn the sword and bow.

Perfect.

>All the various Xpunk genres miss the point of cyberpunk, in that technology and a e s t h e t i c aren't evenly distributed or uniform
How is "aesthetic" not evenly distributed in cyberpunk?

love me some dieselpunk

Leviathan series is textbook steampunk/biopunk

Holyshit read some books.

In neuromancer, the main character spends chapters trying to find somewhere to even buy a handgun because that shits rare and difficult to find. Later he's superdrug hacking in low earth orbit. Shit's different.

Xpunk forms tend to make a derivative uniform because its mostly images/spectacle. Which leads to retards like you thinking aesthetic is somehow a thing in and of itself.

*dieselpunk/biopunk