ITT: Cliches you LOVE

ITT: Cliches you LOVE

>Character grows increasingly more prideful as they level up
>Character becomes irrationally self obsessed
>Character is quick to anger if slighted
>Character gives a long spiel and rant about how they are true power and will not bow to anyone but themselves

Cell?

>The hero's journey played straight
>The heros are actually good people doing it because they believe it is the right thing to do
>The man everyone thinks is a monster due to looks has a heart of gold
>The big bad is evil and knows it, no tragic backstory or anything to make them sympathetic they just do it because they enjoy it

snarky lady mage protected by a beefy and loyal warrior

Two styles of the same kind of weapon/magic clashing.

>joke character no one took to seriously is secretly a bad mother fucker.

Same, man. I don't want to always play Morally Grey: The Game, sometimes I just want to be a paladin and smite the overtly evil villain.

>character is named "Bad Motherfucker"

>The party has to be shipped with each other if they're viable romantic partner
I'm scum, I know. But god damn it if I don't want to fuck a cute cleric.

Hombre ?

>The party is a ragtag group of oddballs and misfits that grow into a sort of family
>Bonus points if they're also sharing a cramped ship held together with spit and rust, a la Firefly

Oy

Read the time each OP was made, smartass.

Oh, guess then I'll just copy my stuff.

>The arrogant noble, who talks about his subjects like they are barley above vermin actually deeply cares about them, he does so to keep his face and fears to loose his power that allows his subjects to live better lives if he doesn't.
>The second in command, who suprasses his leader in brawn, intelligence and wealth is second in command because he realized that he can never embody the cause as his leader does.
>The Hero stands victorious after and bloody, guts dragging mess of a battle, only to die where he stands.
>The hero is corrupted and knows his, he uses his last moments to be a shining example, inspire those left behind and tell them to olive happy lives.
>The actor who always talks about finding non-violent solutions and finding happiness in co-exsistence is absolutely able to shove the other sides shit in if push comes to shove.

Yes to all of this, my brother. Give me heroes that are actually heroes through and through in a world of gray.

Alternatively,
>Joke character is really a total coward, but still manages to save the party at the 11th hour

>protagonist fights dirty

>The strongest character is also the most gentle

>The villain is Skeletor-tier hammy

NYEH

>The dwarf is loud, drinky, proud, has a love/hate friendship with the party elf.

>The construct character who has an existential struggle
>The evil or imperialistic empire has a great sense of fashion/uses lots of reds and blacks
>Character who has an unhealthy obsession with justice and vengeance because of a Batman-esque backstory
>A fight between pure technology and magic that is somehow not one-sided

>Minor, bookish character ends up in a position of power, is quite good at it but they become a worse person as a result

>Main character is an immature, kinda selfish asshole, but over the course of the plot learns many hard lessons and becomes a good person who willingly makes hard decisions and sacrifices to help others because he truly believes its the right thing to do
>"Minor" villain who is fanatically loyal to the main villain (such as a second-in-command) but is otherwise a decent person, who serve the villain because they are either lifelong friends or personally indebted to them in a way they can never repay (i.e. "The Mexican Dilemma").
>In a major showdown, the villains former mentor shows up and intervenes on the protagonists behalf, attempting to talk the villain down before the two fight each other. The mentor is killed in the struggle, but not before he either kills the villain or puts said villain on the path to his own destruction (Obi-Wan Kenobi for example).
>The protagonist learns that the bad guys aren't completely evil, and the good guys aren't completely good.
>Ultimate Good fights Ultimate Evil in a massive, setting-wide battle where virtually every actor contributes in some way.
>Villains who do terrible things to save somebody they love. Not because I inherently think this is "okay," but because it enables a villain to justify their actions to themselves and engender at least some sympathy and understanding from others.
>An antagonist who was once a famous former protagonist, but fell because of either outside circumstances or because they went too deep down the rabbit hole and can't see the light anymore.

Thank you.
It's exhausting how everything tries to be a cutting-edge deconstruction these days.

>Noble warriors charge on horseback and get cut down by a firing line of conscript musketeers

Ya'll need to plan this shit better.

Attractive females will fall in love with me if I show small acts of skill or kindness in front of them.
Still waiting on this one to happen.

>Rival antagonists that have your powers but better and you have to begrudgingly team up with them at some point

Correct, the other thread shouldn't have been made 2 hours after this one.

>The party never gives up hope, no matter how dire things get
>One of the PCs reminds an antagonist of someone they once loved, so they allow the party to pass
>After many fights, the fallen hero regains hope
>The gods are very personal, and treat their worshipers more as a beloved family than a following, even the evils
>Evil Overlords genuinely want the best for their subjects
>Effort and willpower always trump circumstance and birthright
>The BBEG is a huge fan of the heroes, and has been cheering them along the whole way
>The boss is fighting to protect the ones he loves, and understands and appreciates that you're doing the same
>The BBEG is defeated and the party lives happily ever after

>The party is an absolute sprawl of races and backrounds that don't mesh at all
>They all become best friends and are like family

>>Old enemies must work together in-spite of their differences in order to defeat a new, mutual enemy

>The final battle isn't an epic war for the fate of the world
>It's not a clash of pure good vs pure evil
>No fancy weapons, no crazy magic
>Just two people beating the crap out of each other

Yeah...it's fuckin' good when it comes down to a good old fashioned duel.

>Character that starts out as a joke eventually becomes a legitimate badass by putting in the work

>the extremely paranoid conspiracy theorist turns out to be right about one specific thing
>the over the top villain has minions that are sarcastic
>PC's can be dickheads, but have good hearts and truly want to help people
>the villain is a genuinely nice person, they're just evil and genuinely enjoy being evil
>healer is exasperated by how often the party injures themselves in horrifying fashions
>one-liners of all shapes and sizes are all over the place

>little guy who acts like a crazy nutter is actually a genius or master

>team up with them

>All the friends and allies you made over the campaign join in the final fight
>Even some of your old enemies
>Heroic PC dying in a final stand to save the party, party carries on in his/her honor and uphold their ideals.
>The sneaky, dislikable rogue type comes around and gains some honor.

All of this.
And this, I'm currently playing snarky lady mage
My GF does this with our PCs. Thus far though my mage hasn't found anyone compatible yet.

>Hero's sacrifice, no BS, dies so the party can beat the big bad
>Paladin who's just a man trying to the right thing, not some over zealous meme
>Evil minions follow evil leader because they genuinely believe in his cause

>>"Minor" villain who is fanatically loyal to the main villain (such as a second-in-command) but is otherwise a decent person, who serve the villain because they are either lifelong friends or personally indebted to them in a way they can never repay (i.e. "The Mexican Dilemma").
My Nigga

>Hero is a big buff swordsman
>every barbarian is Conan

>The once heated rival becomes the hero's closest ally

>A very noble and knightly character takes off their helmet to reveal they're from a race of fierce untamed savages.

>muderhobo only acted like a murderhobo in the heat of the moment and later regrets it for moral reasons

>the villain is probably right but their means are so abhorrent that even the good guys cant bring themselves to join them, and fight them even though they're probably doing more harm than good

>virtuous good guys remain good guys despite struggle and do not fall into a gray area
>religion is prevalent but isn't evil

Too many worlds have interesting culture they just suicide to destroy their religion. Recently I replayed FFX and that was the biggest takeaway.

>Character betrays the party
>Yeah, nah, he was bullshitting to get within backstabbing distance of the boss

>character betrays the party
>he was hiding inside an anus the entire time to get within backstabbing distance of the boss
best trope

>"I haven't had a fight this good in years."
>"I don't even care about the plan anymore. I just want you dead."

>One android of several in an adventure goes rogue.
>Starts killing its makers, aiming for domination
>Another robot, this one loyal to humans, gives a set by set monotone take-down of the rogue's logic as they fight, before striking the final blow

>Group of adventurers/characters are hostile and confrontational to one another on the surface, but deep down they care for one another like a dysfunctional family, hiding their compassion with banter and insults

And probably best
>Hero is a hero because he's a good person. He wants to be a hero because he wants to help people, no other reason.

>Rival doesn't fight for any reason other than fighting
>A character realizes that he's the same

>The final showdown between the two is nothing more than a test of skill, nothing less. No big metaphors, no speeches about higher causes. Just two dudes in an empty lot.

>Android/s sincerely, honestly loves human beings.
>Characters assume it's simulated, but there are a few intriguing moments of behaviour which hint at something more.
>Android treats it like the most natural thing in the world, happily offering services for nothing in return.
>Steps in front of harm no matter what, because it loves its creators.
>Continues operating even as humans leave it far behind.
>Continues loving them, to the end of time.
>May be convinced that they'll come back some day if it does a good enough job.
>Gets more and more beat up, starts malfunctioning
>Even with its last moment, it never gives up on its love

this game fucking broke me

>A good old fashioned, plant the colours, death songs are sung, last stand

Always use this to demonstrate diversity done right

Fuck you i didn't need these feels again

>>the untrustworthy spy suspect was just a Red Herring
>>so s/he was a spy afterall !!
>>after multiple choices that led to this point, the PCs must choose between an outcome that benefits the Prince or benefits him more
>>betrayed by the only NPC who seemed to be kind and cared
>>the villain is the victim and the victim was the villan
>>"Thank you for doing that thing for me. But you know too much... Kill them"

Nynaeve/Lan sprung to mind.

That's highly specific but I dig it.
>MEMORIES BROKEN

THE TRUTH GOES UNSPOKEN
I'VE EVEN FORGOTTEN MY NAAAAME

>plucky comic relief character is actually the most competent and reliable person
>the crazy motherfucker is the friendliest
>yamcha types
>villian is a man of his word down to his core
>villian isn't unnecessarily evil
>villian isn't unreasonable
>no nonsense highly competent female character stammers and blushes in the face of lewd or romanticism
>local punching bag refuses to stay down more at 11 because we'll be here for awhile
>LOUD SPEECHES FULL OF NONSENSE THAT SETS YOUR HEART ABLAZE AND INSPIRES COURAGE!!!
>having a spouse at home and/or children who need you automatically reduces likelihood of death 3 fold and/or imparts excess wells of strength, stamina, and willpower
>the hardest most badass motherfucker that others flinch from just by his passing known across the continent as a monster you don't want to meet on the battlefield is genuinely THE nicest most heartfelt person in the entire setting and does more charity work than he does actual work

>betrayed by the only NPC who seemed to be kind and cared
Fat Larry, noooooooooo

>Fearless
>rapier
Isn't that a backsword?

Pretty sure you meant broadsword, as that sword isn't single-edged like a backsword by definition is.

You're right that it's not a rapier, though.

Fearless is the movie name.
Is it a sabre?

Or you get my party, where the players don't want to be friendly so only two of the characters become friends and everyone else is standoffish or an asshole.

Did some googlefu and the best I can find is it is indeed a rapier with an old hilt design.

Personally I loathe evulz for the sake of evulz.

Hitler wasn't in any way justifiable but is understandable. You don't have to go for Der Untergang route, but in general "villains" need an explanation of two to be believable, at least if they're humans.

>two people who hate each other are forced to work together and become closer to each other as the story goes on
>character idolizes the person they actively dislike
>character who does what needs to be done no matter the consequences
>character who finds a way to keep moving forward after losing everything
>character who comes from a warlike race just wants to help people and is nice
>character who becomes a monster to protect the ones they love
>character with a light-hearted personality despite having gone through hell nearly all their life
>the huge pervert is actually kind and noble

Yeah I'm the worst...

>Characters assume it's simulated, but there are a few intriguing moments of behaviour which hint at something more.
Even a simulated love can be pure.

>AI tells you that while it may seem like it has feelings of affection and love
>those feelings are simulated, simply because it engenders trust between the pilot and his craft
>and that's why you, the pilot shouldn't be crying. Now be strong. The AI needs to fly the ship away far enough that the exploding reactor can't damage your escape pod.

To be fair, that is a sort of family. Sounds like mine, at any rate.

>Chickenshit villain or cowardly side character redeeming themselves in the climax via heroic sacrifice

I DON'T KNOW THE SEASON
OR WHAT IS THE REASON

I'M STANDING HERE HOLDING MY
BLAAAAYYYDE

We did literally all of these in one campaign I played. The final fight was very climactic.

Shadman character art

I guess that could be true. But it seems like they refuse to have their characters develop relationships with other PCs so I've given up and just hang out with the one other PC worth being around. We've discussed this OOC and they genuinely see nothing wrong with it. The DM doesn't care either.

My nigga

you could've just asked for >shadman pics user

Genocide is completely justifiable in almost every pre industrial moral framework senpai

>attractive female character that doesn't use sex as a tool
>old fashioned knight mentality
>Gods actually exist and meddle in the world
>the silly foreign person
>bad guys who might actually be good
>straight laced person who says embarrassing things while drunk

This issue is kind of complicated... the sword shown is a replica of the US Model 1913 Cavalry "Saber" aka the "Patton Saber" after it's creator, then Second Lieutenant (later General) George S. Patton of the US Army. It is straight, a thrusting weapon, with two beveled edges and a fuller in between creating a double rib down the center. The solid dish guard with its distinctive upturned lip is hard to mistake if you are familiar with the model.

So, it was a "saber" in that it was made to be used on horseback, but it is clearly a straight, thrust-centric sword and not a curved saber at all. Patton recommended the switch to straight cavalry swords due to his extensive training with the French, who had long since taken the curved vs straight debate as a matter of national pride, as did the English until the change of the role of swords warfare saw the tide shift decidedly to the straight sword in the western world.

It's not a rapier, though it's fairly close in intent. It's traditionally called a saber because of its intended use on horseback, but it really isn't.

You could say that in some ways it is to the rapier what a cutlass is to a saber - shorter, with a solid dish hilt for more complete hand protection. Smaller even than the cutlass or this straight sword would be the hangar and the smallsword.

Ridiculous bluffing gambits that manage to work.

The French used straight sabers, really saber refers to a single-edged sword and the curve is common but incidental.

Even if I agreed with you (and I don't really) the Patton sword wouldn't qualify as a saber as it is double-edged.

The English term for a straight single-edged sword is a backsword, which may have been getting at (despite being wrong, as close inspection clearly shows two edges).

Clever evasions of stereotypes by using other stereotypes, or covering it over with a mismatched 'template'

>2 on the right
Pure waifu territory.

I wanna FUCK___________the paladin desu

Bad historiography on the part of the producers, then; this part of the movie takes place in 1911.
Then again, the previous contender, a Belgian cavalry officer, is shown wearing a pickelhaube.

The paladin is the only remotely attractive one.

>Both hero and villain are nihilists, who have chosen their paths in order to write their own meaning
>creator deity is proud of both, turns both into deities

Enemies with exotic resistances that normally would never come up, except at the worst possible time.

I was thinking that they were going for the 1908 Pattern Cavalry Trooper's Sword, which has a very similar hilt, and that the Patton sword was simply easier for swordsman /actor /stuntman /choreographer Anthony De Longis (who played the spanish swordsman wielding the Patton sword) to get his hands on. I think it's pretty forgivable, though a definite anachronism.

The 1908 Pattern is a backsword, single-edged as all backswords are, with a single wide fuller nearer the spine and a wide primary bevel on edged side. It always seemed to me to have a more pronounced pistol grip in the hand than the Patton sword, but otherwise the guard is extremely similar down to the upturned lip on the back of the dish.

>Fantasy world is actually a lost colony from a sci-fi civ
>Big bad is a robot from space
>Endgame party mulches fucking everything with crazy ancient weapon needed to kill the Big Bad Robot

Well-meaning blessings gone awry, but still serviceable and cool in their own way.

And here's the 1908 Pattern backsword for comparison with the 1913 Patton sword.

who cares if it's simulated? Some of the best people I know are OBVIOUS soulless replicants without a single spark of life in them.
That doesn't make them less solid friends. It just means they don't have a soul.

that's stupid, just cut off the reactor.
Why doesn't anybody have the METTLE the hiigaarans did?

That's pretty clearly a double fuller, man.

this is cute. is the rest of the artist's work cute too?

I can see how you might think that because of how it's reflecting, but the 1908 Pattern sword has one wide fuller. Check my image for an up-close shot by the hilt, it even has the maker's mark clearly shown.