Pay to playtest

>Pay to playtest
AHAHAHAHA PATHFINDERFAGS
AAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

In fairness they're releasing the PDFs online for free, you only have to pay for a physical copy, and they couldn't exactly hand those out for free.

I don't know why there's a physical copy of a playtest in the first place and I don't know what kind of people would pay for it, but whatever.

>I don't know what kind of people would pay for it
Paizofans. People who will buy ANYTHING to support their beloved company, especially if it’s something that gives them the illusion that they helped “contribute” to the creation of PF 2e.

Paizofags pretty notoriously hate any kind of change and vehemently oppose the idea of Pathfinder getting a new edition.

The only reason they’d buy it is to stage a fucking book burning because yes, they are that stupid.

4e did a similar thing, with two physical 'preview' books. Still weird, but before the new-media explosion and easy internet saturation.

Do people actually hate the system or is it just the player base? Like, what's up with the hating on Pathfinder?

Because it is a bad system. It's so bad you're either a troll or new.

The people who made D&D3E the "caster edition" and "an overcomplicated mess" and sold out to third parties to create "incompatible garbage" splats announced that they were going to save us from all that and made Pathfinder. Which primarily buffs casters, nerfs melee, is an even more overcomplicated mess, often for no reason but for flavor, and the incompatible garbage is both abundant and part of official Paizo materials. Then, in the midst of this rules-heavy system that they made even more rules-heavy, they dropped ambiguous rules, not only in splats but in the core rules. Paizo has declared this ambiguity part of their intention. There are over 1000 feats, it's impossible to play the game over level 10, and if you try you'll be spending an hour taking a single turn. Also did I mention there are dozens of monsters that attack by impregnating you? And no you don't have to be a girl to get impregnated by these things.

In addition to these problems with the game, there are problems with the publisher and the fans. If you take issue with any of this on their website, it will be a race between the mods to ban you and the fans to terrorize you.

I just hope they don't nerf casters.

>it's impossible to play the game over level 10
Having run a game of Pathfinder from levels 1 to 15, I can confirm this. 10-15 were a goddamn nightmare to GM for and the rules rapidly broke down while numbers spiraled wildly out of control, and the casters went from "stronger than the entire rest of the party combined" to "actively controlling the narrative"

as for Paizo themselves, the devs have a history of completely ignoring feedback and treating criticism like personal attacks, and when responding to criticisms, contradicting themselves not only in the same paragraph but even in the same sentence.

In addition, you need a computer to play the game. There's so many mechanics you can't expect to keep track of the math on your own. And the software to do so is proprietary and expensive. Paizo is so bad they aren't even aware that the game they made that they think is a TTRPG is actually a CRPG.

I sat down to play Kerbal Space Program about the same time I started playing Pathfinder. I learned rocket science and accomplished literally everything in KSP in 3 months. I still don't pretend to have a mastery of Pathfinder. It gives "rules lawyers" a new meaning because as in real law there are a vast number of rules and many of them are so open to interpretation you NEED to get in an argument just to build your character. As such, the same character with the same mechanics will be completely different from one DM's table to another.

Pathfinder is the ultimate in American game design: An overcomplicated mess, made by mathematically illiterate people, that has a random agglomeration of ideas rather than design elegance, with thousands of rules and no strategic depth, run by sociopathic corporate robots who promised to save us from the mess that they themselves had made, with a fanbase that acts like the membership of a snake-handling rural church.

>In addition, you need a computer to play the game. There's so many mechanics you can't expect to keep track of the math on your own.

As someone who thinks Pathfinder is absolute garbage and as someone who is not particularly good at math, this is a wild exaggeration. The rest is about right, though.

Well played, underrated post.

>10-15 were a goddamn nightmare to GM
Yep, and on at least some level, Paizo knows it. The Pathfinder Society explicitly does not allow players to level of 9. If you try to get into organized play with PF, you will start at level 1 and as soon as you hit 10 you're retired and get to reroll a new character at level 1. The last time I talked shit about Pathfinder IRL I had a PF DM ask "y tho" and when I gave him the example of not being playable above 10 he was like "yeah I don't let my game get over 7 and even then you need a strong DM to keep things coherent."

Hell, PF being less and less playable for every level past 10 is why I stopped my game at 15. I originally planned on running it from 1 to 20 just to say that I had done that, but it was just too fucking much. It was a mess and it for real almost burned me out on tabletop RPGs, completely. 5e got me back into it because it's so smooth and easy to run.

Dude, it's not my opinion, it's that of the PF DM I was playing with. He thought it was so important, he made it mandatory to use HeroLabs to play the game, and lugged around multiple laptops to lend out during play. And still it took an hour per turn. And it was literally impossible to do character creation for level 15 characters other than by using HeroLabs and even then some concepts were just not workable using the software. Not the $30 base version of HeroLabs either, you needed $200 of updates. And this is for players, not the DM, who in addition to half a dozen laptops and the software also had all the books. So just imagine a party of 5, each paying $200 for software to play on their $400+ laptops, and the DM sitting there with at least $3000 of software, computers, and books. That is possibly the most American thing about Pathfinder: You have to spend as much as you would on an Xbox to play, and as much I have on my car to be the DM.

Yeah man I've both played and refereed 5e and its pretty smooth. It's basically the opposite of PF. Makes you wonder if Paizo intends PF2e to compete with 5e. I don't think they're mathematically or organizationally capable of creating a competitor to 5E, but I'd love to see them flail and fail and then blame everyone for their mistakes like the schizoids they are.

yes yes trolled gently 5/5

FFG did the same thing with their Snowflake Dice Star Wars games.

But they weren't playtest books, they were Dev diaries.

>Do people actually hate the system or is it just the player base
Both.

>Because it is a bad system.
I played 3.0/3.5 up to 40th, then a gestalt up to 16th, PF1-10, PF12-16, many one-shot in many level intervals.
You just suck.