I like the world of Shadowrun, but the rules are too complicated for my tiny brain

>I like the world of Shadowrun, but the rules are too complicated for my tiny brain.
When will this meme die?
I never found SR hard to play at all, just that the books' editing are shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

fiascoplaysets.com/home/pink-mohawks
twitter.com/AnonBabble

When more people understand the intricacies of Matrix, personas, hosts, access levels, permissions, and the tactical use of Spoofing and jamming.

The big frustration--and thus the meme--comes from the fact that the editing is so shit that while the core system is very simple, people get confused at what rules are where and games get stagnant because everyone's thinking "is there a rule for this? Where would it be? How long would it take us to find it?"

Stick to the core rules that are super easy to find and play it with a GM who knows what he's actually doing and who is comfortable making choices on the fly to maintain game flow. Then you'll be fine.

Or just play Anarchy. It's well-enough edited and the rules are streamlined enough that it's impossible to fuck up.

spbp

As someone who spent some time studying 5e while trying to write a campaign for it, you mostly need a decent GM.

Maybe the "too complicated" thing can also be translated as "I wanna be persuaded to play a pink mohawk since I don't want to invest my time into learning this stack of books".

It's the same shit as GURPS. The meme has become the reality for the uninitiated.

How can you play Shadowrun when the rules don't even work? If you didn't find (a recent version of) Shadowrun hard to play, then you were just winging it like most people that "Play Shadowrun."

Tell me how to chargen a Focused Awakened as RAW in Forbidden Arcana.

When you blanket ban/ignore D&Drones

If the editing is bad, has someone made a better rewrite of the rules?

It isn't that the rules are too complicated. It's that they're shit. Complicated rules that add something can be good.

First game my group played, I gm'ed shadowrun for them.
At sesson zero, I literally had to walk each of them through making a character on chummer one by one and explain all the basic rules right down to "add up attribute + skill rating, roll that many dice, etc" because no one had even downloaded the rule book.

After a brief campaign, I tried WoD. It's a bit simpler.

Come session zero, I have to explain the rules to everyone because no one even downloaded the rule book and again, held everyones hand through character creation "you can put this many dots in this and that etc etc"

After a few games, I decide I want something simpler for myself.

We tried DnD5e.
Told everyone to read through the rules prior to playing.

Again, had to explain to everyone that it's a d20 system. "You roll a D20 for everything except to determine the damage your weapon does, we pick a class and a race, etc etc"

At this point, when we do board and card games, I'm still the one that reads the rules and explains them to everyone (even when someone else bought and brought the game) but I have a rule. I explain each game mechanic once. If they didnt hear it, or were distracted, they have to read the rulebook. No one at the table is allowed to inform them of the rule.

As an additional note ( thanks for reading my blog post, I needed to vent so badly )

We played Fireteam Zero for the first time yesterday.
One player had to completely skip his first turn because he wasnt listening when I explained the actions. We got to him, he said "I dont know what I can do, I wasnt listening, sorry"

So I said "okay, you do nothing on your turn"

Is there a Shadowrun PbtA game?

This is my experience when i tried to get some of the people i know into 40k rpgs.

I mean i love you guys, but you spent like 5 hours making the fucking regiment and getting hype and you couldnt, over the next week, spend an hour looking at basic actions you can do in combat or how the degrees system works you lazy ass sons of bitches.

your players are fucking garbage

ditch em

Karma in the Dark and (iiirc) Sixth World. There's also The Sprawl, but that one doesn't have magic and fairies.

>Shadowrun
>Intricate, precise, moment-by-moment action, where characters are not defined by silly things such as "class" abilities, but the bundles of skills that they bring to the table

>PbtA
>Partially-Freeform, narrativist, go-on-one-roll action where everyone has "abilities" with little variance between others of the same "class".

The atmospheres of both systems are very, VERY different. Do not mix.

But if you want real help, try out Karma in the Dark.

Character creation for Shadowrun takes hours longer than games that are more complex than it. If you think people not wanting to play is their small brain you're a moron.
>inb4 chummer gen

Your players are morons who are exploiting you. I had 1 player like that and it made me want to drop the whole group, stop playing ttrpgs, and join a football team.

I swear to god if people keep posting Android Netrunner images in unrelated threads I'm gonna go full Scorched Earth on them.

We get it, your game is dying, but stop stealing from other games, just confuses people into thinking Shadow-run is an actual game that have an community / is under active development.

This, but also for every other system more complicated that "roll a d20"

I like Shadowrun, bit if you can't see that it's an excessively crunchy system there's something wrong with you. It would benefit from a bit of streamlining and less stupid design choices.

I will continue to despise the very concept of pricing things karma costs by in universe rarity. I just cannot get over how utterly stupid that is.

I like the concept of SR combat, spending initiative throughout the combat turn, rather then just everyone going once then reseting. Because it makes sense that some people are just faster and able to act more often, expecially if jacked up on drugs/cyber/magic, but the execution is done poorly and takes way too long.

Use Chummer and it becomes dead simple.

>stealing from other games
how the fuck is it stealing to use related images?

I played a fuckton of 3rd as a kid, SR is still my favorite fluff and I've recounted the fluff all over the place cause it was just that wonderful. I don't have hardly enough time to play board games let alone proper pen and papers. So there is Fiasco.

fiascoplaysets.com/home/pink-mohawks

nobody is saying the rules are complicated in the sense that they are too difficult to grasp
They are saying the rules are too complicated for the fun payoff they provide
you have 3 different systems to keep track of (meatspace, cyberspace, astral) and if you neglect any of them it makes it look like there's fuckhuge holes in the security of any building. There's rules to limit access to high power equipment and theoretically stop you from open carrying but number balance makes it far too easy to go full pink mohawk and level city blocks to achieve your objective. Everything is astoundingly lethal, making combat rocket tag. the priority system for chargen is simply broken, period. certain races get shafted hard for no reason. Players always try to sell the system as a "classless" game but they still talk about and design characters like there are defined classes, because there effectively are. There are too many stats and having derived stats and skills rely on multiple stats make bookkeeping a mess.
It's truly a monster of a game, it feel appropriately immersive because the rulebook actually feels like the kind of overdesigned and barely functional tech a cyberpunk dystopia would produce