i like this one

thanks, user

Kähnstratn
Speranto
Montenegro

kadmanholme:german

paizona:italy

freshenze:spain

Albondigas (spain), Pontecorvo (italy), Zübern (germn)

Villarica for spain

Suizburg (Germany), Suizidona (Spain), Suizizia (Italy)

Not only freshenze doesn't sound spanish at all but I can assure you half the spaniards would have serious trouble at trying to grasp how you read that.

Spanish cities tend to have a direct relationship to the environment they live in.

If the city is in a red desert->Arenas rojas
If the city is in a place where waters meet(like rivers)->Alcantarilla
If the city is in a place with lots of fish(and fishing)->Japutas(assuming that it's japutas what they catch)

Also I would say that there is a tendency to make contractions(Finis-terre), and use propositions(Cabo de Palos) or coloquially avoid them at all(Cabo Palos).

I would say these are mere tendencies, things like these happen in any language and most of the names that are in Spain today were either roman, fenician visigoth or arab with very few actually being original from Spanish(Ciudad Real is the only that comes to my mind right now)

The freshenze of fantasy spain?

Most cities and towns have a direct relationship to the environment they live in. "Place by a river" is probably the most common name for a town in the world, followed by "place by the ocean" and "place near a forest". Then you get into "[name]place" and [ethnic or tribal group]place".

I've never visited Spain, but in Mexico a lot of cities have catholic saint names

Kadmanholme sounds a lot more Nordic than German.

>Need a name for a fantasy styled german, italy and spain capitals
One of the many reasons I stopped including humans in the worlds I build.

>German
Kriegstadt
>Italy
Capitoli
>Spain
Madridas

Don't kill yourself, user.

(Sp)
Amorales
Alcaro
Brassa
Bonaventura
Cervecidad
Medelion
Tobario
(Gran) Pelejo
Sicaregio
Régina

(It)
Appuli
Alicium
Barenze
Danta
Farnese
Nicalermo
Sfumato
Vernalio
Vicenze
Itucca

(Gr)
Allenting
Brechten
Erenricht
Felixburg
Oberhorst
Herenstall
Hevelen
Kenningen
Koningen
Nevelsberg

Hitler, Mussolini and Franco

winner

sound more like portuguese than spanish to me

Germany - Reiknerhorst
Italy - Veracrucci
Spain - Santísima Castellana

Reiknerhorst seems odd to me. It's perfectly pronounceable in German, mind you, but it just feels off.

op here, damn! you just gave me names for the whole region that was uncomplete, thanks

how would you fix it?

Some random names :

"German" :
Wohnnstadt
Eberheim
Luhden
Wulfsberg
Riedern
Vitznau
Holdorf

"Spanish" :
Langonha
Forlosa
Alberique
Montièl
Santarum
Corunna

"Italian" :
Fordia
Pelosa
Avelone
Cortona
Reggia

The three cities once united to crush all opposition, with most of the fighting happening in Franco. To celebrate their victory a song was written to commentate their alliance.

youtube.com/watch?v=0dfMee3IUtQ

some other German here. The “Reik” part is what's odd. Generally when (english speaking) foreigners try to pronounce the German “ch” it often is pronounced as “k”. I would suggest the following variations: Reichenhorst, Reiterhorst, Falkenhorst

Reikenhorst or Reignerhorst (though the especially the latter feels like a small village not a city name imo) if you would want to stay as close as possible. The best sounding alternative I could come up with is Reichenhorst.

do it faggot

OK, I am Italian.

Here's what you can use - these MAY be real towns in Italy, due to the way place names tend to work in Italian, but to my knowledge they are not.

Bellaggio

Cala del Lupo

Trelo

Venticampi

Stradella

Campolungo

Any Spanishfag/Germanfag wanting to do same?

I mean no disrespect but to me (Italyfag, see above) this is what most of the Italian-ish place names look like...

Kek can you translate what the worst ones would "mean" in Engrish?

Not much, that's the thing.

"Feranzo" sounds like Firenze pronounced with cotton balls in your mouth (Yeah, we loved IL PADRINO, just... the VA tried to do the same thing and it sounded super goofy)

"Speranto" could be a corruption of "sperando" which means "we can hope", but in a sort of forlorn way. Would you name a city Wecanonlyhopemaybeville?

"Paizona" has nothing to do with big boobs... except in a sense it does, it could mean "female large landhold", from "paesone", itself from "paese", which normally takes the masculine. HUGE TRACTS OF LAND!

"Pontecorvo" is an actual place.

"Suizizia" literally means "His great aunt" in my dialect ("Sua pro zia" in proper Italian).

Fordia > We already have Fiat, thanks.

Pelosa > Literally "Hairy female".

Avelone > That's the Fallout guy. Avellino is a real place, though.

Cortona > Crotone is a real place. Cortona can be translated as "Female large short thing", from corta.

Reggia > Reggio is a real place (Reggio Calabria, Reggio Emilia)... and roughly means "county seat".

>I live in my great aunt

Nice, Pontecorvo was mine btw. Lots of Italians in my country (Netherlands) have that as their sirname it sounds like the most Italian thing in the world to me. 'Ponte' has something to do with rivers and bridges I believe.

Pontecorvo means raven's bridge (ponte=bridge, corvo=raven).

However in the case of the real place, which is near Rome, it is a corruption of "ponte curvo", curved bridge, because the village grew around an old Roman bridge which is still standing. Basically someone set up a toll booth and over time it turned into a town.

here. The German ones are actually not that bad, with one exception.

>Wohnnstadt
It's bad for two reasons:
1. It has one too many “n”. Proper German would be “Wohnstadt”
2. “Wohn” stems from the verb “wohnen” meaning “to reside” and “stadt“ is German for “city”. Wohnstadt literally means “city where you can live“ (which is already clear, given that it's a city).

I can say stuff about the other names in a bit.

That said, place names that derive from a conquering people misunderstanding a word, are very common: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torpenhow_Hill also see "kangaroo".

Italy
>Vitellia
Spain
>Eiberos
Germany
>Hochland

Good point
>Colonia
>Köln

>Hochland
Or as it's called in English: “highland“. Maybe a good name for a region, less for a city.
Fun fact: It's also the name of a German cheese company.

Criminally underrated

If you're using concepts like "fantasy [insert European country here]", why not just use a real world pseudo-historical setting with fantasy elements?

Dat originality.

OP, NEVER use latin names for italian cities. Italian fantasy names are, I think, tricky even for us italians, 'cause they are mostly prelatin and (sometimes) latin names that went trough sound changes, and pretty arbitrary ones at that, but the etym isn't really understable at first sight. Napoli is pretty logical from Nea Polis, but you don't really get it without knowing it beforehand.
One execption might be Venice. Odd as it sounds, being not even 2000 years old, the city is pretty young for our standards, and the city of the Veneti becoming Venezia makes sense.

In general the examples I see in this thread aren't really that bad, with some execptions, but as we don't really have much rules I dunno. Towns and village are in many cases easier, being pretty literal (I dunno: Cittadella/Citadel, a whole lot of saints, some ending being common like -ier in Veneto).

For a capital... well, it fucking depends. Let's use our real capitals as a starting point.
1) Torino: from Augusta Taurini, it was a legionnaire campi in the land of the Taurini tribe, Augusta for Augustus of course. Kinda like all the Alexandrias that Alexander made in Asia and Egypt. So pretty much from latin, but the common first part isn't there anymore.
2) Firenze: from Florentia, more or less city of the flowers. Still from latin. A kinda newer city for our standards (latin age, but it was very small then), the latin is pretty much there. Note that Etruria/Tuscany was densely populated, in contrast to Torino in Piedmont.
3) Rome. Ooooooh boy, the etymology of Roma is some thorny matter. I think nowdays they mostly think it's connect to Reuma in greek (current, for the river, pretty big as center-southern ones go for us). Which is interesting, as you can see that older cities tend to have in the south greek roots for its geographical qualities (another example, Palermo=Panormos, "wholly a port").

I hope it helps. A tiny bit of history for your not!Italian capital?

I will include the city of Paizona in some campaign, at some point, thanks to you.

I would give out more probable German city names, but most here already seem fine. Just use some syllabically correct letters and put -berg, -burg, -heim, -stadt, -hausen or (for places where Swabians live) -ingen at the end.
Notable exeption: „Oberhorst” means 'the greatest of buffoons' (colloq.).
You might also take a look at some other German cities and how their names work. More place words make Frankfurt (Furt = ford), where Karl's grave is is Karlsruhe (Ruhe = rest) and so on and so forth.

Verracruci seems a bad pronunciation of Vera Cruz, the mexico one. We do have a fucking lot of saints' one but -I don't have any idea why- we mostly stick to that for towns or even churches. Interestingly, we do use things like Passo di Santa Croce (Pass of (the) Holy Cross), tough.

Yeah, it's pretty complicated. I think germans and to an extent english get it easier. Such is the burden of a fucking old nation (not bragging, just stating).

Hell, even japanese names for villages (being more literal) are often easier, I think.

>funfact: when we and my friends need a fast and hard "fantasy name" for a campaign, we just translate local places into english with some quirks. Not really good for serious campaigns but works.

Thanx for the feedback. "Horst" is buffoon? It means highground in my swampgermtongue.

DO
IT
FAGGOT

Because it also is a male first name that has been associated - at least, where I live - with a stereotypical idiot. It wouldn't be absolute, but the „Ober-” makes it into a comparatively common compound that means exactly that (Oberhorst).
If it's not a name, I would think of a bird's nesting place first… probably means any kind of highground, yeah.

How embarrassing, I just looked it up. Apparently, there is a mountain named Oberhorst right next to a forest named Hinterwald… which makes perfect sense. (Hinterwald ≈ the forest behind/behind the forest).
Hinterwäldler would mean someone from there. But it just means hillbilly. It's embarrassing for anybody in that area.

Didn't read the OP fully, I was coming up with regional names.

Fotzegesicht, Puttana, and Pendeho

I've been naming my towns like that for two decades now.