Paizo Games General /pgg/

Paizo Games General /pgg/

Let's talk worldbuilding. What are some techniques you use, and what's your world like?

/pfg/ Link Repository (Pathfinder): pastebin.com/YLikTing
/sfg/ Link Repository (Starfinder): pastebin.com/RqkUXjWZ
Current Playtests: pastebin.com/vK9njh31

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=52&v=UlBP0lEQ1Qo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>What are some techniques you use,
First I think to myself "Wouldn't this be cool", write it down and then go through the process of making it work without feeling like it is only there because I thought that it would be cool.

>and what's your world like?
Empty, save for two kids and an old troll who is their guardian and parental figure.

I use premade campaign settings, and roll almost everything else. Sometimes, I take stuff from video games.

For the next three months in game, the PCs will be defending a hidden dwarf mining colony between Nethra and Teth. There's also going to be an extradimensional dungeon that should resemble ancient India.

Sometimes, the rolls are a little strange. I used the table from the 3.5 DMG.

>Adp 5, Adp 2 (2), Adp 1, Ari 1 (2), Brb 2, Brb 1 (2), Brd 1, Clr 5, Clr 3, Clr 1 (2), Com 15, Com 7 (2), Com 3(4), Com1 (78), Exp 7, Exp 3 (2), Exp 1 (2), Myrmidion (Ftr) 6, Ftr 3(2), Ftr 1 (4), Stalker 2, Stalker 1 (2), Tortured Crusader (Pal) 4, Warpriest 2 (2), Warpriest 1 (4), Rgr 4, Rgr 2 (2), Rgr1 (4), Contemplative (Wilder) 3, Contemplative (Wilder) 1 (2), War 4, War 2 (2), War 1 (4).

>The highest level fighter is the sheriff, Dorgal Blackbanner. The religious authority is a faenor (priestess of Berronar Truesilver) with the healing and protection domains, since the previous priest of Dumathoin was eaten by a merrow.

>50 high level locals
>78 1st level commoners
>4 1st level warriors
>2 1st level experts

I don't know how a Dwarf Commoner made it to level 15 in Faerun, but I'm going to go with it.

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=52&v=UlBP0lEQ1Qo

Ok...will this be terrible or is a fair amount of hype warranted? I really don't want it to be 5e: Pathfinder edition

We just don't know.

Wait and hope.

Anyone remember offhand what the time gap between the first DnD Beyond playtest and 5e's final release?

>Atheists
>In a setting where gods are definitively, provably real and can actually do shit
As an atheist this is just silly to me.

And reminds me of Discworld. Where the gods go around and break the windows of atheists. And a fully Sapient Golem, who was lightning-proof, was basically the only smite-proof atheist.

>coming into the thread to spout out dumbshit when you don't know basic info about the setting
Atheist on Golarion refers to people who acknowledge the gods exist but refuse to worship any of them for various reasons. Rhadoumi was nearly destroyed in a series of wars between religious sects and decided it would be better if the just threw out all the clerics from then on it.

Nevermind, I found it myself. 5e released in 2014, while the first DnD Next playtest document came out sometime in 2012.

Well not really because:
1. Gods barely ever directly interact with the universe at large and those who do usually get their shit slapped by the other ones.
2. Atheism is more being irreligious.
3. They are trying to weed out gods by stopping their worship which is enough to make them obscure and/or powerless, which happened to the gods of Egypt on Earth before they moved to Golarion.

>1. Gods barely ever directly interact with the universe at large and those who do usually get their shit slapped by the other ones.
The lore is really inconsistent about this. This only seems to apply unless it's convenient for the plot to do so.

okay so you start with a fetish...

That map looks like a geode, but I can't find a green one with blue streaks.

They shat out the Shifter and with the announcement of 2e they won't bother working on the class anymore. They didn't even bother giving us a Dragon Shifter archetype.

Just play a Chained Synthesist Summoner and make yourself the dragon. Also the Legendary Shifter (I assume)

Puella Librum Daemonica is an unironically excellent campaign and I think Vult should run it again.

I look for random islands with interesting shapes and upscale tehm to be continents
Then i look at their shapes, find a convenient location, and start drawing mountains, rain lines, rivers and forests
My latest find is pic related, the two big islands in the middle make for a nice pseudo-america and pseudo-eurasia

Yeah but 2e will probably be awful then they will backpedal.

No way they backpedal. If anything they will double down and blame everything on the players.

Thanks user

Should there be more yaoi next time?

>Should there be more yaoi next time?
How much boy-love has even happened in PLD? If anything, you should have more female monsters.

Is a Blacksmith with the Hedge Magician trait (5% off of raw material cost for magical items) and the Econcomic Crafting Insight (10% off raw material cost for magical items) able to craft items at 15% off raw material cost? Is 15% the highest discount you can get on raw materials?

Okay, real talk here, we all know Paizo has learned no lessons whatsoever from the almost-decade Pathfinder has been out. They have a long and rich history of plugging their ears and yelling la la la or listening entirely to the wrong people when it comes to designing anything for their game (looking at gunslinger), and they also have a history of using errata to take away anything nice they accidentally give to martials. I've seen a dev say caster supremacy wasn't real, was real but was working as intended, and wasn't a problem at their table, all in the same post. These people have no idea what the fuck they're doing.

With that said, what new and exciting ways do you think Paizo will find to fuck up Pathfinder 2e? Post some of your predictions.
>Caster Supremacy remains because the devs are still stuck on the idea of the "mundane martial"
>the devs fail to understand how their own action economy works and there will be no less than three spells in the Core Rulebook 2e that utterly and completely break the action economy
>the spells remain for the game's entire lifetime because they're spells, so it's okay if they're overpowered
>fighter is just a bunch of bonus feats and no real class features once again
>monks will either not be in the Core Rulebook or will be absolute garbage once again either because Jason Bulmahn hates them or because the rest of the team doesn't know what to do with them

I think 2e is going to be a delightful breath of fresh air for the system, and while I'm not going to say I'm hyped for the updates, I'm definitely hopeful!

God I wish I could have even half as much hope as you do.

you start with the basics: census data. always helps to have an idea of how expansive civilization is in your setting.

next up is geography- determine how close or far are major settlements from fresh water sources. then you develop trade routes on how the settlements are connected.

next you determine the natural resources around each settlement in regards to both edible and trade goods. some will be renewable and some won't, so making a balance of this helps determine the mentality of the settlement.

afterwards, you develop into the architecture and cuisine of major settlements, say the top 10, to help determine the local culture. cuisine will help determine the do's and don't's that are acceptable during mealtime, while architecture will help you determine the value of various materials for a civilization. the premade trade routes will help determine the scale of impact those major settlements have on smaller settlements in the surrounding areas, giving you countries. places where trade routes intersect make for good capitals or independent city-states.

finally, a system of government for each of the now interconnected areas.

There's a cute boy getting his ass plowed by a drow right now, does that count?

And maybe one day Eiro will get to sleep with one of the girls

And it's hard to make use of female monsters when 4 of the 5 heroes are female and the 5th is only half male

>There's a cute boy getting his ass plowed by a drow right now

But user, women don't have dicks.

Strap-ons are a thing and I wouldn't put it past the drow to use them.

+1 Holy Lance summoned by magic :^)

>matriarchal society
>women are almost all huge sadists
Sounds about right.

>And it's hard to make use of female monsters when 4 of the 5 heroes are female and the 5th is only half male

Your mind is like box, tiny and enclosed. You must be of seeing the bigger picture.

Like a female monster that forcibly removes the eggs from a woman's uterus so the monster can use them, or one that induces lactation in a female character so their young have extra teats to draw from.

You realize I ask them what kind of monsters they want to get lewd with and go from there, right?

Was that a post by SKR? That sounds like him. Wasn't he shit canned for those kinds of thoughts? (And for generally treating the Paizo forums like it was tg with the way he replied to people or explained how he was right?)

Okay anons I need some clarifications:

A blacksmith with Economic Crafting and Spark of Creation/Hedge Magician gets a combination of a 10% discount on raw materials and a 5% discount on raw materials.

Raw materials are 50% off the market price. So with these two traits, it turns into 42.5% of market price.

The trouble I'm having here is how this turns into an EFFECTIVE multiplier of a blacksmith's wealth by level, since crafting feats are basically "you get free money for certain groups of items."

Wasn't there a chart or page that explained this?

after you determine the government, then you can start looking into the countries economic strength, based on the volume of trade it conducts and the size of the government involvement. after that you can start making the history of the region, and develop its military or lack there of.

finally, you determine the goals of various governments and their attitudes towards their neighbors, and any develop organizations they approve of or condemn based on their attitudes, goals and methodology. these can be entirely within a single nations borders or a multi-national organization based on the success of their methods and their level of openness.

and whammo! a setting with dramatic elements embedded in its very fabric!

Wait... So all of the encounters we read, were ones the players wanted?

It sounds like it.

Vult admitted before that he only gives the players what they want.

That's gross.

>You're lewding this monster
>but Vult, that's not my kink
>I DONT CARE ITS RAPING YOU NOW
>okay, I'll keep playing with you for over a year

Lets see...

> Shields and two weapon fighting is now even more shit, thanks to increased demand for actions.

> Class feats are basically required for any non-caster class to even wipe their ass and must come out of the character's normal feats, of which you still need Proficiency: Use Toilet.

> Spells will cost a number of actions equal to their components (minimum 1). Feats like Silent spell and Still spell will become de-facto ways to quicken spells allowing most spells to be cast for one action.

> The new proficiency system via skills and their steps in mastery will be completely borked, causing minimal investment in a skill to be worthless and you'll have a scant few opportunities to increase that mastery.

> Skills as initiative will cause perception to become even more of a must have skill, as it will be rolled in 95% of all cases along with its usual uses.

Sounds like something Vult would do, desu senpai.

That's not how percentages work

>no one questions why Vult is posting Ultron while discussing yaoi
Am I missing something?

I want a game. Give me a game.

>Vult announces PLD2
>It takes place long before PLD1
>no monster rape, cause monsters don't exist yet
>just regular human on human smut, 100% consenual
Would /pfg/ still apply?

Alright, fa/tg/uys. According to whoever this is, there will be more stuff for the shifter. Even if it is shit.

You better believe I would apply.

See Does it come out to 42.5% of market price?

>Shields are now even more shit, thanks to increased demand for actions.
Using a shield gives you an extra reaction, so it doesn't actually reduce the amount of actions you can take

How'd your game go?

Really, really well! We handled a mentally-disturbed hermit by sending him off to the proper authorities in the nearby city, and then proceeded to head out into a big ole murky bog to fight some scary tentacle-trees.

BORN TO SMASH
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 4718/
I am trash Shoanti
410,757,864,530 DEAD DROW

trait bonuses don't stack
if they specify they do, it comes out at a 57.25% discount

If you really want to make shit for cheap, look into the downtime rules and capital generation, there's some neat bullshit hidden in there

I think an important distinction to make in world-building is whether you're actually building a setting or you're just building a world to contain the campaign you want to run. Know what I mean? Do you think one of those is the correct approach? Personally, I think it's probably situational but I'd never go to the trouble of making a setting I didn't want to make for a campaign.

What do you think Golarion would be like if the gods all too very active roles in the setting? I'm talking like the core gods are rulers of nations, assorted demigods live around the world and actively, personally push their own agendas, and whatnot.

I think we got confirmation already that 2e's core classes will be all of 1e's core classes plus the alchemist, so monks will definitely exist at least.

Anyway if I were going to be as pessimistic as possible I would predict that the bestiary and monsters in general will be very poorly designed, shooting encounter design in the foot before it even gets out the door. I barely trust Paizo to design monsters and encounters in the first place, and now they say they want to change up their whole formula?

IIRC SKR had a mysteriously sudden change in opinion about Monks after he left Paizo. The common thought around here at the time was that SKR had actually just been toeing the company line when he was hating on Monks. Like he went straight into some Twitter post about Monks in WoW doing cool stuff and how PF Monks should be able to do cool stuff too.

They do give you an extra reaction (that can only be used to turn on some kind of DR for one attack) but I think what they were talking about was that you have to spend an action readying your shield to get any benefit from it. That probably will make shields largely ignored since using one comes at the cost of being able to spend three actions to make three attacks.

Economic Crafting isn't a trait bonus, it's an untyped bonus.

I should have specified the Blacksmith SoM class

Not with Vult involved, no. If it came out as an AP and a better DM was running it, sure.

My players are wrapping up stuff from the holidays, teaming up with Santa and some reindeer satyrs to save XXXmas from a demon lord and his succubi lackeys.

The human on human smut would have to be pretty goddamn lewd.

Pre-cataclysm was a time of angels, fae, dragons, and more. Just less abject insanity

What's a neat build I can do with a tengu, strix, aerieborn, or other birdperson race?

Vult-san! Vult-san! How is human-on-dragon supposed to work with the size differences?

99% of dragons are actually horse sized drakes with animal level intelligence. The 1% blessed by Zyke get magical powers and will continue growing for as long as they live.

Whether it "works" for the 1% is a question of flexibility

The biggest fuckup is they'll make something you and people like you continue to bitch about but still play/talk about, keeping this general alive as a cesspit of butthurt and drama.

That is the most depressing prediction I can make, because is the most accurate one anybody can make.

And if he did, then hisp layers woulda clearly fucked off already, ya dunce.

>99% of dragons are actually horse sized drakes with animal level intelligence.

That's still an issue.

Why do you think everyone makes such a big deal out of killing a dragon to prove you're a man?

Flying Charger with Death From Above/Branch Leap?

>That probably will make shields largely ignored since using one comes at the cost of being able to spend three actions to make three attacks.
Each subsequent attack gets a pretty heavy penalty, so the second and especially third attacks aren't that important.

Okay, but maybe something that doesn't suck? Well, those feats don't really suck I guess but they don't seem like something to make a build out of.

Do we actually know how large the penalty is yet? Until I'm given a reason to believe otherwise, I'm gonna assume it's -5 on the second and -10 on the third, like iteratives in 1e.

Also, on a side note, am I the only one who is having a hard time adjusting to the need to actually qualify whether I'm talking about 1e or 2e in Pathfinder now? After so long of Pathfinder just being Pathfinder, I now find myself constantly saying things like, "The thing about Pathfinder, I mean 1e Pathfinder, is..." when talking with my Pathfinder buddies IRL.

It's one thing to slay the dragon, but it takes more balls to lay the dragon.

>it takes more hips to lay the dragon
ftfy

>>Also, on a side note, am I the only one who is having a hard time adjusting to the need to actually qualify whether I'm talking about 1e or 2e in Pathfinder now?
You only need to qualify which version of a game you're talking about when it's the older version.

Like this, onii-chan.

The point is to prove you're a man though. Anyone can take it from the dragon like a bitch, but it takes a real man to make the dragon take it.

I dunno, when I'm talking with my friends about our thoughts on 2e Pathfinder and how it could differ from 1e Pathfinder it seems important to be very clear about which edition is being referred to, especially when you might refer to both editions in different parts of the same sentence.

>Do we actually know how large the penalty is yet? Until I'm given a reason to believe otherwise, I'm gonna assume it's -5 on the second and -10 on the third, like iteratives in 1e.

I'm curious if AC will actually scale worth a damn in 2e. As you very quickly ended up with 'Most first attacks autohit unless you roll a 1' at higher levels. If it does, those iteratives get less good.

With the way crit successes and fails will work (you don't need to roll a nat 20, you just need to exceed the target number by at least 10), I think AC may have a new reason to remain relevant. Even if you can't keep the enemy from autohitting, you can keep them from autocritting. Every point of AC isn't just an additional 5% chance of not being hit, but also an additional 5% chance that if you do get hit it won't be a crit.

you bastard

Ask a simple quesrion, get a simple answer. You want a full build, say what you want to do with the bird thing.

Is there any way to threaten a critical hit on an object?

That's an entirely fair answer. I don't really have anything in particular in mind, I just suddenly thought about playing a birdperson and wondered if there are any decent racial archetypes/feats out there.

I'm talking about standard gaming vernacular, Satan.

Called shots might get you that

While they didn't complain about it, I don't think Gloriana's player asked for dog

Swordmaster (Tengu Racial Rogue) has some funky stances/abilities, including a CMB check pounce and reactive free 5-foot step. The others aren't very well supported with archetypes and stuff. Aerieborn would make good Zen Archers/Cleric Archers/flying Gunslingers...but they can't fly.

There's a joke in Garuda-blooded(?) Aasimar basically doing whatever since Aasimar can do whatever.

Strix got some feats in the Inner Sea Monster Codex that anyone with natural wings can use.

Powerful Wings is two extra attacks, at the least, and counts you as larger for wing-based effects. Good for a natural attacker, or if you really want to get use out of Hover without being enlarged. Snatch-and-Drop and Fling exist. The rest don't really seem like something to build off of; like pretending your wings are a cloak or using Gust of Wind as an Ex Ability.

No idea how twf works, probably reduced penalties to additional attacks or a feat chain to make extra attacks per action.

Using A shield seems awesome right now, spend one of three actions to gain bonus AC and DR 9 vs one attack at level 1? Worth it. No feat investment either for martial classes so use it until something better comes along.

We have no idea if silent or still spell will be in the game or how they'll work. But yes, if you can use silent and still to make casting a spell a non action than the game will be pretty broken.

Classes now have their own feat peridocity along with class restricted feat lists. We can probably assume classes get more than just feats though. It might be a term issues, calling them feats when it's a generic system for choices like spell hacks, rogue talents, knacks, whatever, things that can generally be more powerful than a basic feat.

Skills are auto scaling now with a much greater bounding on limits. It sounds like level + ability mod + 1-2 is the normal max. So be a class that gets a skill it can use for initiative and remember to use it. If you are a tracking class than tell the GM that you look for tracks when the party is moving. it's not like you have to worry about investing skill points into it.

What do you think the chances are that we'll see a major overhaul of how spellcasting works in 2e compared to 1e, as opposed to spellcasting being changed to work with the new action economy but otherwise the same? We already know spells are meant to drop off in effectiveness as you gain levels past the level you got them. I'm if Paizo would be bold enough to do something like throw out prepared casting in favor of something... else.

She did. She also ERPed extensively with Rory. Gloriana likes the dog cock.

This is the kind of shit that prevents me from taking IKiD seriously

Is Rory the most alpha /pfg/ personality?

Why would you take a stranger with no name seriously?

Just cuz you got kicked out of the secret club don't mean you get to tell lies Rory

Vult, please don't samefag.

If it keeps you off suicide watch, Rory, I guess we can let you think so.

Shitposters gonna shitpost, user

But seriously I'm only here to ask build questions nowadays. I think there's other places I'd rather be

Any good builds you've got rattling around the old thinkpan?

>trusting a commie
>ever
Better dead than red fampire

I don't know what else they'd have in mind. I think if you're looking for something other than vancian style magic you'll be SOL. It seems like they're going to have unified lists of spells and that classes are going to have access to those spells at varying levels. My guess is that they'll have Arcane, Divine, Nature, and Alchemy as lists and then each class can cast up to level X of those choices.