Wanna run something fun and unique like darksun or flying island steam punk world

>wanna run something fun and unique like darksun or flying island steam punk world
>players want me to run !noteurope generic fantasy land fantasy

Other urls found in this thread:

emlia.org/pmwiki/pub/web/Waylight.Waylight.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

In this day and age the most typical tropes played straight would be the freshest

Start off with the generic fantasy land and then have the players travel to another realm where things are actually fun; fish out of water player characters make for more realistic roleplaying, especially since the players won't be expected to know the ins and outs of the new setting.

Im lucky in the sense my players typically love weirder stuff.

>Muh everyone subverting heroic fantasy

Then why is the default D&D setting friggin Forgotten Realms? Whenever I see people complain about how classic fantasy is dead, I'm left feeling they don't actually play RPGs or consume fantasy literature in general.

Fuck off, frogposter.

>wanna play something fun and weird like flying continents or post-nuclear-turned-He-Man
>DM just wants to run not!GoT

Tell them the truth, that you're unoriginal and can't make an interesting game without resorting to outlandish superficial setting ideas, so if they want a good game that doesn't rely on that kind of crutch, they're going to need to get a better GM than you to run it.

>Only barebones medieval fantasy is truly creative and interesting

Let me guess, your favorite PC archetype is the Male Human Fighter?

Stop giving them replies

What's your damage?

Anybody whose favorite character archetype is not a male human fighter is literally a faggot.

Take whatever fantastic adventure plot you had in mind and port,it to medieval Europe. Or, make some kind of alt. History like Rome never falling or the Russian Tsars pushing in from the east against a united eastern front.

Human or dwarf male fighter, anything else is for women and fags who want cock up their arse

One of my players made a male human wizard.

Another made an eleven rogue.

Wasn’t at all surprised when I came back from the bathroom and they were literally sucking each others cocks.

>Then why is the default D&D setting friggin Forgotten Realms?

Forgotten Realms is nothing like heroic fantasy.

Key thing to understand for this gripe in general is that Continuity is a strangling cancer on fantasy. This is why, e.g. cape comics are no longer in remotely the same genre as the classic pulp or Weird Tale fantasy despite having originated as pulp with pictures.

It's a symbol of hatred :^)

>Steam punk
Well, there's your problem.

When "retro 00s" arrives it's gonna be fucking flying islands all day. I wonder what the equivalent '10s trope will be?

Fuck off, frogposter.

Try playing in Actual Europe for a while.

Ars Magica

>Only barebones medieval fantasy is truly creative and interesting
That's not what I said at all. I said that if you're creative and interesting, then you can make barebones medieval fantasy fun. But if you aren't, then you need to fallback on flashy misdirection to cover up for your lack of creativity.

Let me guess, your favorite games are ones where you have a lot of character options, because you can't create an interesting character on your own?

I'd really like a very very traditional D&D campaign again. Ancient evil, every single typical fantasy element that can be fit into one campaign. Fighter, wizard, rogue, cleric party.

I miss it

Make it historical !noteurope, look up some weird history to replicate or alter

Fuck off. You've come full circle into thinking anyone who doesn't' want the set "generic" standard which has never actually existed anyway is subverting something. Kill yourself.

If you're truly creative you can make any concept interesting. What you're saying is nonsense.

>I said that if you're creative and interesting, then you can make barebones medieval fantasy fun.
But I don't WANT to make barebones medieval fantasy fun.

I want to run floating islands and airships campaign.

Floating islands and airships are AIDS and someone else should DM.

Who gives a fuck about what the players think they want. What they really want is to be entertained, if you can't provide that then you shouldn't be DMing.

It's your story, your god, what's a fucking god doing listening to mortals?

why are those not fun, just curious here.

Because he only just wants to eat tendies, and he's skeptical and confused by people who would rather eat something else.

Floating island worlds are to wizardry as the dog selfie filter is to computers.

Then make it fun and unique european fantasy. Pull in weird mythology and fun inspirations. Build the world to what you want to make it fun. If you want Dark Sun, throw in an adventure traveling into the deserts of the east to fight wizard kings. If you want flying island steam punk shit, have a quest where you have to travel to a fabled castle of giants in the sky. Fantasy is fantastic for a reason, and you can make the adventure filled with all kinds of cool shit without even leaving fantasy europe.

I wish i could just scoop you into my game of flying continent steam/diesel punk darksun joy. Replace some of my memeing idiotic friends. Stay strong.

>Start at a bar in not!yurp.
>Get drinks with a gnome.
>Drink more in his workshop
>Smoke not!weed in his rocketship
>Fight giants on the moon with flaming chainsaw-chaku.

Start at the generic shit, send them to plane of air, bullshit homebrew it as a flying island steam punk

If you want weird stuff, you probably want a normal area to ground things from the weirdness

Fuck off, frogposter.

See drakengard

>flying island steam punk world
Skies of Arcadia was nice.

Pull a bait-and-switch. Have the first handful of areas be a pretty generic fantasy world, then weave in some more off beat themes and concpets along the way. Around the 6th session, drop the bomb that they've been on a flying island all this time.

>games with mechanics for making lots of different characters
>not for people who like making their own characters

Storm Hawks was also nice (I loved the 1930s aesthetics), so I made this.

emlia.org/pmwiki/pub/web/Waylight.Waylight.html

>Floating islands and airships are AIDS and someone else should DM.
>Floating island worlds are to wizardry as the dog selfie filter is to computers.
Funny how no-one else steps up to DM.