What are some of scariest monsters in fiction and folklore Veeky Forums?

What are some of scariest monsters in fiction and folklore Veeky Forums?

Bonus points for ones that can appear in games.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penanggalan
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marțolea
goblinpunch.blogspot.com/2014/09/false-hydra.html?m=1
goblinpunch.blogspot.com/2014/09/false-hydra.html
m.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/sword-interval/ep-19-shedding-skin/viewer?title_no=486&episode_no=19
youtube.com/watch?v=1JQpE7n6eUk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You want a scary folklore creature? Let me tell you about the motherfucking NUCKELAVEE.

The Nuckelavee is a creature from Orcadian mythology described as a massive creature, a skinless fusion of horse and man, a legless rider growing from the back of a gigantic mount as it gallops out from the ocean. It's humanoid head is hydrocephalic to the extreme, nearing three feet across, lolling from side to side while its arms are lank and oversized, dragging along the ground. It's veins are visible and grotesque, pulsing with thick black blood and yellow lymph while it's mouth is like that of a whale, massive and yawning. Meanwhile the equine body is described as having fleshy, skinless flippers for hooves and one or sometimes both heads were described as having only a single burning eye. Its breath stank of death and rot and sickness, and its very presence exuded plague, famine, rot, and other such maladies. Its most notable curse however would only occur if it flew into a rage at the harvesting and burning of seaweed, to which it would curse the horses of Orkney with a deadly disease known as the "mortasheen".

Only two things could stop such a dreadful creature: The first was a deadly aversion to touching or crossing fresh water, as it is a creature of the briny depths first and foremost. The second is a more beneficent spirit, known as the Sea Mother or Mither O'the Sea, who could lift the Nuckelavee's curse and drive it back into the ocean.

Technically, it's considered a faerie. Think about that for a second.

like 90% of slavic monsters, most japenease shit, and a lot of african shit.

Really if you dig deep enough you will find something in any place.
Like here Laumė - woman with chicken legs that live in swamps.
They might reward working mother by feeding there child and then leaving some expensive clothes behind, or take lazy woman's child and snap there neck.
Also they drown men in swamps by luring them in much like nimphs

Care to give some African and Jap monsters examples?

Different user.
But I recall things like ghost shoes and swords from Japan, as well as drowning fey, angry feat, the ninetail if done well and so on. Really a lot of them are weird.

Different user, but I've always really liked the Gashadokuro. It's a spirit that takes the form of a skeleton fifteen times the size of a human, and are said to be created from the amassed bones of people who died from starvation or battle without proper funerary rights. They stalk the open roads at night, hunting down travelers to bite off their heads and drink the spraying blood from their necks, and are forewarned by their target hearing a ringing noise in their ear before it attacks. It is said to possess the powers of invisibility and indestructibility, but can be repelled with shinto wards.

I thought up an idea for using it in a campaign a while back, where the party would be traveling as part of a larger group at night and it would start picking off NPC's one by one. The party has to run to a nearby abandoned manor and try and find warded rooms to fend it off, but one of the members of their caravan is a traitor trying to kill them, and is trying to destroy the talismans first while holding onto a personal one themselves. The whole thing would be either finding a warded room to hole up in, getting the wards to keep themselves safe and booking it, or managing to run and outlast it until dawn, where the spirit will leave. I thought it would be pretty fun.

dude, the japs have fucking turtle spirits that steal your soul through your asshole. As far as the africans, depends on what tribe and place but there is a lot, the Adze which is a bug vapire

Consider some of the First Nations monsters, like the Raven Mocker, Genoskwa and Wendigo and Skinwalker. Given the huge number of tribes across the continent, you've got a wealth of monsters to choose from.

Out of fiction and loosely based in a mythical relict:
Leshens from the witcher series.

The Colo Colo hatches from an egg laid by a snake, and incubated by a rooster. After hatching, the Colo Colo will hide in a house, where it will feed on the saliva of the residents.

That way of birth is similar to basilisk and few other mythicsl beasts.

Skinwalkers. So scary /x/, /k/ and /out/ make threads about them

What slavic monsters are even there that arent really close to the western European tradition?

Seems like it could be a fun encounter. Would it be reoccurring or just a one time deal?

I like any creature that works through something like fridge logic. Ones where you just see the tip of the iceberg and it's fine, but then you later find out there was much more to it and you were literally seconds away from dying.

There's this classic urban myth of a woman who owned a big python. She used to let it sleep next to her on her bed, because it made her feel better. One day, the snake suddenly stops eating the rats it normally gets, and it doesn't sleep curled up any more but keeps laying out straight next to her, so she takes it to the vet. The vet listens to all of this and the more the woman tells him, the more worried he looks. She ends up asking him if her pet's going to die, and he just shakes his head.

Turns out that the snake was intentionally refusing to eat, so that it could empty its stomach, and it was intentionally stretching out next to her, so that he could see how big he was in comparison. The snake was planning to eat the woman, and she had no fucking idea.

Well, /k/ has methods of dealing with them.

in Lithuania we have Laumės too, but I didn't hear about them having chicken legs. Also, it's technically slavic stuff.

Fucking Orkney.

Maybe not immediately scary but, if you know much about orcas, the Akhlut from Inuit mythology is a pretty chilling concept. Basically a land-dwelling wolf-orca hybrid that hunts men.

The Taily-po always drove me up the wall cause of its small size. The idea of something the size of a house cat actively hunting you, and deadly enough to easily kill you is strangely unnerving to me

Anyone here willing to tell me more about Skinwalkers? The wikipedia article doesn't have much of a description.

Look up Yee Naaldlooshii instead.

A strzyga (Polish pronunciation: [ˈstʂɨɡa]) is a female demon somewhat similar to vampire in Slavic (and especially Polish) folklore. People who were born with two hearts and two souls and two sets of teeth (the second one barely visible) were believed to be strzygas. Furthermore, a newborn child with already developed teeth was also believed to be one. When a person was identified as a strzyga he was chased away from human dwelling places. Such strzygas usually died at a young age, but, according to belief, only one of their two souls would pass to the afterlife; the other soul was believed to cause the deceased strzyga to come back to life and prey upon other living beings. These undead strzyga were believed to fly at night in a form of an owl and attack night-time travelers and people who had wandered off into the woods at night, sucking out their blood and eating their insides. Strzyga were also believed to be satisfied with animal blood, for a short period of time.

We also have a lot of different water spirits

Not scary as in “big, with crazy sharp tusks, burning eyes and a stink of death” but more “oh look at that hot chick. I gotta dance with her!”

Enter: elverpiger. Basically a danish folklore about young men getting lured out by these elvish female hotties who want to dance.
But as you dance with them, you forget everything. Family, friends, everything.
You just dance. Forever and ever until the chicks gets bored of you and throw you out of their elvish castle.

Then you return only to realize that you have spendt decades of your life dancing and everyone have moved on with their lives.

Not “scary-scary” but pretty darn “oh damn-scary”

Fucking them?

A classic.

So far i'm using "fae" as any supernatural being that's from the same plane of existance the players/Humans are from.

Demons are just divine creatures from other peoples gods.

Angles are your gods servants.

Here's a Ashanti one: the Asanbosam, a tree-dwelling 'vampire' or ripper with iron claws and feet. Sneaks up to you, grabs you, kills you. That sort of thing. Makes for a good monster at least.

Another pic I saved

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penanggalan

I used Gashadokuro in a campaign at one point. In my world the various other dimensions were places it was possible to reach by physical travel, so Gashadokuro that were hugely big, much bigger than they are usually, walked the borders between the hell realm and the more usual material realm, these beings were so large they created mountains by walking and their attack was 'giant finger'. And by 'giant' I mean theres a 40 foot crater where it's finger just slammed into the whole party at once. They did not speak or think, they were impossible to charm, distract, or illusion in any way, and their bones were harder than admantine. This hell guardian type was made from the bones of a giant monster who sent copies of itself against the gods in the dawn of time, so these Gashadokuro were a distinct sub type, not the main type.

Surprisingly one party did actually defeat one, they used an earthquake spell unison cast on it right in the middle of it taking a step, it fell and its own weight broke it.

user that sounds fucking awesome.

They were the least of hell's terrors, one being who frequently was seen moving about in hell was Dukkhadsa.

Dukkhadsah - A gigantic, terrifying hell being that strikes fear even into the hearts of tigers just by showing up. Dukkhadsah is Mara’s right hand man. Dukkhadsah relentlessly searches or anyone who is going to enter the monastery (as in become a member) but has not yet, killing them without mercy in the most hellish, torturing ways possible. Tremendous in size, Dukkhadsah causes avalaches and earthquakes just by walking. Dukkhadsah has 70,600 arms, 66,600 faces, and 42,200 legs. 1/4th of his arms hold jugs of fluid from the well of black smoke, 1/4th of his arms hold scalding salt encrusted weapons, 1/4th of his arms hold scalding enslavement devices, and 1/4th of his arms hold captives in scalding red hot iron nets who writhe in pain. 1/3rd of his faces use spells of agony, pain, and confusion. 1/3rd of his faces breath torrential blasts of burning hail, and 1/3rd of his faces detect those who plan on entering the temple.

Bumping with a South American elder god (1/2)

Have you ever heard the tragedy of King Sebastian the Desired? I thought not. It's not a story the jedi would tell you.

Sebastian was the last king of the portuguese golden age. When he was crowned in 1557, Portugal was at the top of the world, rich and powerful with asian trade and american colonies. Being hotheaded and pious, Sebastian wanted to do something with all this money and troops. And this being 16th century iberia, that something was obviously killing some infidels.
He issued a call to arms. The nobility gathered, and they drew a plan for one last Crusade. A military expedition into Morocco, to defeat the Moors and finish the Reconquista once and for all, bringing eternal glory to Portugal. In 1578, the best of portuguese nobility left the nation in their finest armour, ready to crusade.

It went terribly. A fucking disaster. The portuguese chased moorish warbands though the drylands and mountains for weeks. The moors harassed them day and night, slowly encircling, until the portuguese were exausted and surrounded. The king, along with the greatest of portuguese nobility, was massacred at a plain named Alcacer Quibir.

This would be the end of Portugal as a great power. The nation fell under spanish control, and would never recover its former glory.

Now what this has to do with creepy legends?
King Sebastian seems to have a knack for driving people mad. Especially in the colonies.

cont.

and heres one you won't see coming unless you're very lucky.

Aganbaghar - An absolutely monstrous hell being. He loves nothing more than to assassinate random travelers via his arrows. His body is more like a huge shadow than a physical presence. His arrows, which he fires from a sniper’s bow, cause death (outright, immediate) if they inflict even a slight injury. He is known in the material realm as an utterly evil hell being who gets great pleasure from killing people in front of their loved ones without warning or mercy, or even any real cause other than his own amusement. He has 32,200 arms, 28,800 faces, and 35,500 legs. 1/4th of this arms hold snipers bows & arrows, 1/4th of his arms hold scalding hot iron nets, 1/4th of his arms hold torn out spines, and 1/4th of his arms hold garroting nooses. 1/3rd of his faces see the deeds of every assassin, 1/3rd of his faces see the weak-points in a targets body, and 1/3rd of his faces look inside every shadow they encounter by magic. The ground oozes black smoke and makes a ‘grinding teeth’ sound where he treads.

Did you get those absurdly high numbers from real-world mythology (indian maybe)?

The setting (one I homebrewed, not one on the market), was set in a hindu multiple-planes universe, only I went even more mythic and made it so that all of them are possible to reach by physical travel.

Short answer; yes basically.

I'm just curious about how you decided that those creatures have this precise numers of limbs.
Is there a symbolic significance I'm not getting?

The (((Fun))) never ends!

Krasinghatar - A savage, hideous hell being. He is a giant who enjoys nothing more than violently crushing people to death and violently twisting people to death. His flesh is harder than iron and his body is covered with lumps, square-edges, and points, not to mention where hair would normally be is razorwire like blades. He is Mara and Naginandi’s first son. Krasinghatar can make his body illusory to pass through barriers, and can move about invisible. He has 52,300 arms, 49,800 legs, and 42,200 faces. 1/4th of his arms carry torture devices, 1/4th of his arms carry bludgeoning weapons, 1/4th of his arms carry red hot stones that ooze blood, and 1/4th of his arms wear spike covered gauntlets. 1/3rd of his faces watch the deeds of every hell being, 1/3rd of his faces use spells of intimidation, fear, and hysteria, and 1/3rd of his faces spew white-hot bile from their mouths. The material realm’s ground cracks and oozes bile and puss where he treads.

The number of limbs and faces relates in some way to the power level of the being, and the number of times it needs to be killed by gods before the universe ends. I can't remember how exactly I set it up, unfortunately.

Pretty cool stuff tho, I love indian myths.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marțolea

>The entity's gender is unclear, as it can shapeshift at will. It lives up in the mountains and descends on Tuesday nights to lure with its singing and punish the women caught working. Marțolea's punishments for these things are harsh like: killing by ripping, hanging the guts on nails to the wall and around the dishes, in the unmarried women cases. For the married women the punishments are killing or possessing their baby or their husband who is far from home. Usually his form is of a goat with human like head, horns & hooves. He can shape shift into a big old woman dressed all in black, ugly, soldier/warrior or as a handsome man. To married women it shows as an old woman, to married men as a virgin and to unmarried women as a young charming man.

False Hydra goblinpunch.blogspot.com/2014/09/false-hydra.html?m=1

To be clear these beings are not indian mythology, I created them myself, but they are meant to be similar to indian mythology.

Ancharaj - A hell being who’s greatest joy comes from roasting people alive. His body is constantly melting, then reversing its flow and solidifying back in its pre-melt shape and state. He sweats fluid lead, fluid bronze, and fluid iron, emitting huge waves of heat at all times. Violent, selfish, and sadistic, he is known in the material world as a savage torturer who it is better to die than be caught by. He has 38,700 arms, 70,000 faces, and 61,100 legs. 1/4th of his arms hold burning torches, 1/4th of his arms hold vases of melted metal, 1/4th of his arms hold scalding hot swords, and 1/4th of his arms hold charred skulls that moan and sob. 1/3rd of his faces use fire, psychosis, and torture spells, 1/3rd of his faces see the actions of every pillager, and 1/3rd of his faces detect hiding victims. The ground has burnt footprints that never again heal or grow anything where he treads.

Yes, I got that. I love the flavour of it, so to speak.

(2/3)
Sebastian's body was never found. People began saying that Sebastian would come back. He became a folk hero, that would return from the sea and restore Portugal to a new golden age. What exactly was this "return from the sea" and "golden age" became more and more mystical, until, decades later, people were talking about ships full of gold emerging just outside lisbon and eternal life and healing to the "true believers" that never lost faith in the "hidden king".

The legend would go full Hastur on the colonies. Colonists brought it from Portugal, slowly changing the story from emerging from the portuguese sea to emerging from an underwater palace right outside the brazilian northeastern coast. Sebastian became some kind of martyr and saviour for the people of the drylands.

Some of the legends linked to his name:

The Black Bull. bull that emerges from the sea in moonless nights, in the beach of Lençois. The Bull's fur is pitch black, and you can only see him because of his bright, eerie eyes and a single silver star in his forehead. The bull eats human flesh, and whoever isn't eaten is dragged back into the sea to serve the Hidden King.

The Snake Princess. In Jericoacoara Beach there's a very large standing stone that dominates the landscape. Legends say that underneath it there's a cave, and a cursed kingdom made of crystal. Inside it, a single princess was turned into a monster with scales and serpentine tongue. Painting a cross in fresh human blood on her back will break her curse, and raise the kigdom back into the surface.

>dude let me in I'm a fairy, the monster
neat

In the 19th century, a series of cults sprung up in Brazil - almost all of them referencing the imminent return of the King.
One of them, the Kingdom's Stone cult, attracted dozens of people that lived around a large standing stone in the coutryside. The leader, used to meditate and pray in a cave under the stone and "speak with the king". The cult ended before government intervention, when the leaders received a vision saying that the King would be brought back by "pious blood". This meant that the men had to take their farming tools and slaughter the women and children, using their blood to cover the standing stone.

This actually happened. It's not a legend.

Another cult sprung up in Canudos, this time attracting hundreds of people that created a religious commune to await the return of the King, who would "turn the drylands into sea" and "make run a river of milk". They were slaughtered by government troops in an extremely bloody fight that left a total of 3 cult survivors. There are tales of rebels charging government troops with sickles and machetes.

A third cult sprung up on the opposite side of the country, in a region named Contestado, around 1915. This time they were led by a "reincarnation" of the king, a wandering preacher named José Maria. Again, there was a large standing stone in the region. When José Maria was shot by government troops, he was buried under planks instead of earth "so that his ressurection would be easier". There was a rumor he would be back with "Sebastian's Men", an army of spectral knights that would emerge from his grave. The leadership of the revolt passed down to a 15 year old girl named Maria Rosa, that said to hear the king's voice in her thoughts.

The hell realm these beings go to and from regularly, (and the one that the gashadokuro circle endlessly as they patrol to keep outsiders out and insiders in), is called Ashralak.

Ashralak's ground is made of melting scalding boiling bodies which scream in pain continuously at all times, it rains billions of cursed weapons pretty much all the time, scalding salt hailstones pummel the inmates there, there is so much heat that just existing melts your skin off there, fires so hot you explode like a bomb (from the heat) spring up in big random fire geysers, salt dust and fluid glass fall from the sky at all times, the west wall is 10 thousand foot high salt dunes, the east wall is 10 thousand foot high piles of scalding slag metal, the north wall is fluid-glass seeping blades, and the south wall is salt water seeping blades. But wait, don't build your vacation home just yet, it gets even worse! The high heat environment is so intense that inmates are completely fluid and dead after only 4 breaths of existence. Sentence periods are the amount of time it takes 1 particle to become 1 galaxy and 1 galaxy to become 1 particle, though only 1/60thousandth of a second passes in real-time material world time. So even though your sentence is incalculable aeons of time long, your next reincarnation in the material world is only 1/60thousandth of a second after you died.

Hell beings in ashralak scream in psycho-rage PTSD as they use their numerous limbs to wield scalding, salt-covered, poison seeping, fluid glass seeping, spike-covered, razor-covered, sawtooth weapons, torture tools, shields, and armor, their equipment so hot that the beings burn alive very slowly in their armor and weapons (which they can't take off, ever, it magically returns or re-appears). All of their equipment has all of the listed traits and is a torture to be forced to wear and use as it is a torture to have it used on you.

that's some freaky shit guy.

Well shit, now I know what I'm running for my next CoC game. Visually mix that with Kingdom Death's The King and you've got an elder god of fantastic and nightmarish design.

Seriously though, that's some freaky shit.

now friendo, you got Canudos a bit wrong there.
It wasn't really about the return of that king, but rather the return of the Brazilian Empire.

You see, when the brazilian empire ended , the now-republican government started taxing everyone, even the poor as shit dirt farmers.
So if you had one cow and some land, they'd take the cow and then half of your land, arguing that you hadn't paid taxes your whole life.
This made people pretty fucking upset, since the empire had never cared for taxing people that poor.
So, this bloke named Antonio Conselheiro, who was a prominent religious figure back then, decided it was time to take action. He rallied people under the banner of equality, justice, the right/ duty to work the land and their faith in God. And with those ideals, the community of Canudos came to be.

First it was barely a few hundred people, but soon enough their numbers started growing until they reached almost 5000 people or so. Canudos refused to pay taxes or answer to the republican government, so people unhappy with that seeked shelter there too. Eventually, Canudos was almost as full of people who truly believed the old emperor to be chosen by god as it was full of people who just wanted to work and have their own stuff without anyone taking it.

While their numbers increased, the government slowly realized what was going on. They started smear campaigns on Conselheiro, saying that he was a mystic, a heretic, a coward and a murderer. It didn't work at all and Conselheiro's supporters only increased in numbers. Around that time, Conselheiro supposedly had a vision: he said that there'd be 4 great fires and that Canudos would have the first 3, but that the enemy would have the last one. He also said that, as you quoted, the drylands would turn into sea. Of course, no one had any idea what any of that meant. So life went on for some time.
Unfortunately for Canudos, the government had other plans.(cont.)
pic related is Conselheiro btw

O sertão vai virar mar, dá no coração
O medo que algum dia o mar também vire sertão

So, with Canudos being the talk of the nation and more and more people thinking of either joining their now prosperous little community, the government got real angry. Couple that with the fact that the country was being ravaged by all sorts of riots, rebellions and even separatist movements and there's a reason to be worried. See, this wasn't the first time of civil unrest in Brazil. The first one, however, was solved by the emperor. But now the emperor was in exile and there was no one left to keep society functioning. The government started repressing these movements, usually taking no prisoners and sending the army to kill dirt farmers. But Canudos wouldn't yield. When the government troops came for these guys, they were expecting a bunch of cowardly peasants, but Canudos was well defended, the surroundings hid traps. The government forces were massacred and their weapons were stolen. This is where the story of the rebels charging government forces with farming equipment came from. That's exactly what they did, and, to everyone but Conselheiro's surprise, it fucking worked. He then revealed that this was the first of the four fires.

With the new weapons and their constantly growing numbers, Canudos was stronger than ever, and when the government came for the second time, they were even better prepared than they were the first time.
The government troops were tired from the heat of the Brazilian northeast and had to go across the country to get there. Their uniforms were made with the milder, less dry climate of Rio de Janeiro, and the soldiers basically cooked alive inside the things. The denizens of Canudos, however, knew the land like no one else. The government's second expedition was defeated. The government had sent 100 soldiers on the first fire and failed and now the 400 soldiers couldn't destroy Canudos either. At this point, they were something beyond livid, but the second fire came and went and Canudos stood.
(cont.)

The repeated defeats at the hands of poor, stupid, lowborn peasants got the army pretty riled up. And when you consider that during the Empire, officials were chosen for their nobility and influence, rather than for their skill, you understand a bit more of why they were so mad they were losing all the time. The local government couldn't keep up, so the federal, central government stepped up. They sent a Colonel named Antonio Moreira César, who was known as the "head taker", for his other "works" quelling social insurrections. But Conselheiro, once again, was right, and through guerilla warfare, traps and just knowing the terrain better, the 1300 strong government force was slowly grinded away into oblivion. By the time they actually got to Canudos, they had spent much of their ammo, were tired and hungry and cooking in the heat.
The "head taker" was killed that day and so was the guy that assumed control after him. This time, along with the weapons, Canudos captured a heavy cannon the soldiers had brought.

The federal government could not believe their ears when they heard of this. They sent one of their baddest dudes after some shit-flinging mob of peasants and he got fucking butchered. They sent a cannon that could take down the walls of the forts that line the coast and they lost to people who lived in mud huts.
Canudos survived the third fire and had new weapons and more ammo than before they came. Everyone was happy. It was over and they had won. Everyone but Conselheiro.
He knew what came next. The fourth fire.

The government decided it was time to end it once and for all and assembled a 4000 strong force (a book was later written claiming that there were 20000 soldiers at the final battle, but thats mostly speculation)
If they had sent one cannon last time, they sent scores now. Remember when I said that Canudos had a population of 5000 people at its height? That's counting the elderly, the sick, children and women. (cont
pic. rel. is Canudos

goblinpunch.blogspot.com/2014/09/false-hydra.html
I included a False Hydra in my DnD Campaign and had a pretty good time with it. I'm not the best DM, but my players had fun with slowly figuring out what was going on and figuring out how to track it.

The government came and this time they were holding nothing back. The guerrilla warfare slowed down the troops and got them tired, but it also got them angry. By the time they reached Canudos, the soldiers were almost as mad at the peasants as the nobility that made up the officers. They march upon Canudos and eventually, after months of conflict, a siege is formed. The frail mudhuts the denizens of Canudos lived in did nothing to stop the cannons. The traps could not halt their advance either and neither could the rebels. The fourth fire was upon Canudos. Conselheiro was dead. It was over.
The government troops showed no mercy. Canudos burn to the ground. They fought to the last man and, in the end, four men, one elderly, one barely a child and two adults, were all that stood against the army outside. They, too, died. Of the 5000 thousand denizens, barely 300 hundred survived. Most women were raped, there's even talks of soldiers beheading the prisoners they had taken just out of spite.
Once again, Conselheiro was right. The enemy had won them over in the fourth fire.

In my personal opinion Canudos is one of the greatest examples of bravery in recent history. It's a story about people who just wanted to be left alone and live their lives how they thought right, but were punished terribly for it.
So yeah, there wasn't really a cult for Sebastian, but rather a strong desire to see the republican government toppled. They didn't delude themselves into thinking they'd be the ones doing it either, they just wanted to live as they had before it all went to shit.
pic related is Conselheiro's body
it's also the only known picture of him.

I've always had a fondness for undead, particularly wraiths. The idea of a monster that can only be permanently killed by fulfilling a very particular set of criteria makes for a solid tabletop monster.

The fact that they're often pretty tragic and undoubtedly frightening is a nice plus.

Leshens as well. The Witcher has some really good monsters (unsurprisingly), and I appreciate that most of them are based on real folklore.

La Lanora. Mexican screaming woman that drowned her kids.

That was good exposition, m8. Talk about Sobradinho as well to wrap it up.

In a manner of speaking.

La Llorona is a bit more nightmarish than that, at least in the New Mexican folkloric version that I grew up with.

As that particular story goes, La Llorona was a woman named Maria whos children were out playing in an arroyo (basically a dry riverbed ditch, we had one out behind my house), and whos husband had recently left her for a younger woman. Furious and unthinking, she doesn't go out to check on her children and when a flash flood comes thundering down the arroyo, it drowns them. When she goes to the arroyo to find them and realizes that her fury at her husband killed them, she drowns herself. Then, at the gates of heaven she is barred from entry, unable to enter the afterlife until she has found the children she has so negelected. She wanders the arroyos after sunset, crying out for her children to live up to her name (La Llorona literally translates to "The Weeping Woman")

The acutal horror aspect of this comes from the fact that it has been so long that she no longer searches for her children, just any children. She stalks the arroyos after dark, kidnapping children who she finds and drowing them so that they can take the place of her own children. Some folktales even attribute people escaping her narrowly, their flesh marked red and cold as ice where she grabbed them in her desperation to find her missing children.

So yeah, the idea of a weeping phantom haunting the dry rivers and murdering any children she finds is pretty freaky. She's usually described wearing all white as well, to add to the contrast of her walking through the riverbed at night.

That's the /d/ method of dealing with them

Wasn't there a part about how hell also kept her out? And isn't there some version of the story where she doesnt care if you're not a child anymore, if she sees you, she'll go 'good enough'?

I agree with most you said. Great writeup btw.
(1/2)

I didn't mean to say that Canudos was based only around religious hysteria. It was a consequence of everyday poverty and despair of the drylands, and the dry spell of 1877 driving them beyond a breaking point. Same thing about Contestado years later - the revolt started when the government sold a lot of peasant land to a lumber company and told everyone in the area to shove it.

The only reason I didn't write about the causes of the insurrection is because this is a spoopy idea thread so I focused on the spoopy stuff. If it sounded like they were some kind of Outlast II scenario I apologize. I mentioned the rebels charging with machetes to enphasyze the desperation and violence of the final assault on the town and people fighting down to the last, not to say they were berserk fanatics. In truth I think Canudos is more deserving of being a "symbol of national freedom" than the Inconfidência Mineira ever was.

That said, it had a religious base with strong sebastianist elements. We gotta remember that the people in Canudos were illiterate peasants with very little political knowledge. I'm not saying this to demean them. But when they said they wanted the monarchy back it wasn't out of political ideology or opposition to the republic in itself. As far as they knew the problem was that the rain didn't come, they were hungry and this new bullshit government didn't give a fuck. The one that came before didn't give a fuck either, but at least there was rain. The Emperor had all this effort to say that his rule was benevolent and blessed by God, while the republic suddenly changed to all this "order and progress" propaganda that sounded very smart for the people in the capital but had no effect on the poor and opressed.

Threw modified version (basically a remote controlled necromantic siege weapon prototype) of one at my players once. The thief ran around/away and hid the whole fight.
But the others used the power of teamwork to break one of its legs, and when it fell they focused fire on the head, breaking it loose from the rest of the skeleton and putting it down for good.
They then used the skull for shelter when they set up camp that night

for Africa, there's that elephant-faced dragon (that's supposedly the ancestor of all snakes and elephants) that lives in a cave full of jewels and fucks you up if you go see him.

(2/2)

The Republic, with all this rationalistic stuff, failed them. The logical step was to return to the time when God blessed them. No revolution, no marching to the capital - that was part of the smear campaign - but a holy kingdom coming down from Heaven, that would not only restore peace and order, but bring back the rains.

Conselheiro did mention the return of Sebastião during his sermons. Even if he hadn't, the idea of a "holy kingdom" coming back from the past to magically end their pain with God's blessing is a direct influence of Sebastianism.

Euclides da Cunha wrote down what allegedly was one of Conselheiro's sermons:

“E no meio desse extravagante adoidado, rompendo dentre o messianismo religioso, o messianismo da raça levando-o `insurreição contra a forma republicana:

“ Em verdade vos digo, quando as nações brigam com as nações, o Brazil com o Brazil, a Inglaterra com a Inglaterra, a Prússia com a Prússia, das ondas do mar D. Sebastião sahirá com todo o seu exército e o restituio em guerra.

“Desde o princípio do mundo que encantou com todo seu exército e o restituio em guerra.

“ E quando encantou-se afincou a espada na pedra, ella foo até aos copos e elle disse: Adeus mundo!

“Até mil e tantos e dois mil não chegarás!

“Neste dia quando sahir o seu exército tira a todos no fio da espada deste papel da República. O fim desta guerra se acabará na Santa Casa de Roma e o sangue hade ir até á junta grossa…”

I didn't mean to say that Canudos was some kind of ritual to raise Sebastião from the grave. It's just that the ideal that the king will, one day, return is very prevalent on legends of the time and region. Like a haunting. Spooky.

.... But yeah, Canudos was a town of heroes.

Ah, the Grootslang

That, and mag dumping .308, 7.62x39, blessed silver, ash shells, etc.

I dunno if it counts since she's technically a goddess and probably not a monster, but I always really liked Ammit and the whole ritual she's involved in regarding Anubis/Anup's weighing of the heart in Egyptian mythology.

>basically a chimera with bits and pieces from lions, crocodiles and hippos
>if you fail the test and prove yourself to be a shitty person as represented by your heart/sins being heavier than the feather of Ma'at, she eats your soul instead of letting you go to the afterlife
>wasn't seen as evil by ancient Egyptians, but most definitely feared and served as motivation to be a good person lest you get your soul eaten when you die

I see you're a man of culture as well, the gashadokuro is a really hella cool monster

>Then, at the gates of heaven she is barred from entry, unable to enter the afterlife until she has found the children she has so negelected.

Suicides aren't allowed into heaven anyway.

>this thread and deep sea thread in the same day
I missed good /tg

You ever heard of a Popobawa son? Imagine if you would a one eyed bat-ogre that flies into your house in the middle of the night to overpower and anally rape you, your wife, or your kid if anyone of you is home alone. Now imagine this entity, after booty burgling you, tells you that you HAVE to tell everyone in your village/neighborhood/what have you what happened or else he will come back and do it again until you do. Great monster to use against players with a severe aversion to rape and/or homosexuality. Then you've got shit like the (leu)crocccotta which is basically the hybridization of a mule, lion, and hyena which also rocks solid slabs of jagged bone for teeth. In some iterations the croccotta is a hermaphroditic bi-sexual shapeshifter that can mimic human voices and is incapable of being slain by steel weaponry. Africa's got some weird shit going on with its mythos.

Not the scariest shit around, but I remember reading about a Balkan(I think) called the Sibara (the wizard)

Regular murderous asshole hedge wizard when he was alive, ended up getting chased by an angry mob, but was struck by lightning (his staff has an iron sickle on top, acted as a lightning rod) before they could get to him. Stayed atop a hill as a mummified corpse for several generations until a farmer stumbled upon him and decides to use him as a scarecrow.

Eventually another bolt of lightning struck him and resurrected him, and he's still around, cursing people and raping young girls. And somehow, despite being a burnt corpse, he had a whole bunch of kids just as fucked-up as him.

Technically he and his spawn are imps because they're rather short, and supernatural

Balkan monster*

As a snake owner I fucking despise this story more than anything else in this world. You've no clue how many people "have a friend/cousin" that had this happen or knew someone that had this happen to them when the subject of pets manages to come up and I mention mine.

You mean a mosquito?

>not the one true prime caliber, the trinity, .357

>snake owner
Weirdo

To each their own user. I haven't got the time for a dog or bird and don't care for cats or fish. If you're looking to bait me into an argument you'll have to give me a bit more to nibble on.

I don't think that thing would be able to swallow even someone's hand, so I guess you're fine anyway.

m.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/sword-interval/ep-19-shedding-skin/viewer?title_no=486&episode_no=19

I'm not sure how much of what Euclides wrote was true. I mean, how could Conselheiro even know about what was happening in England or Prussia?
There's also the stuff he wrote about the government sending 20000 soldiers to burn down Canudos, but I'm not sure Brazil even had the infrastructure to deploy so many soldiers to take down some backwood town in the middle of nowhere.

I didn't think you were implying that Canudos was trying to raise Sebastiao from the grave, I thought you were just misinformed. Sometimes these stories get mixed up with legends and propaganda, I just didn't want people getting the wrong idea.
Great quotes by the way.
I guess the idea of a legendary king returning and fixing everything is simply because of how messed up things were. When shit hits the fan, its either escapism or faith that things will get better that holds people together.

and not to ruin OP's thread any further, an actual brazilian scary monster:
The mula sem cabeça (headless mule)
The legend says that women who have relations with a priest turn into a wild headless mule. Pretty mild, huh? Except its way bigger than any mule has the right to be, and it also has fire instead of a head. It announces its presence loudly with a piercing "screech" and it's horseshoes are said to be made of either gold or silver. It can (and will) kill a man with a single blow, but it can also weaponize it's fiery head, using it as a flamethrower. The only way to stop its rampage is either hiding from it until it moves on or removing its bridle, which must be pretty fucking hard to do, considering it has a flamethrower for a head.
oh and it also enjoys eating eyes, thumbs, fingers, teeth, etc
Pretty fucking creepy if you ask me.
Unfortunately, it's pretty popular with kids for some fucking reason, so most drawings of it are really childish or made for children.
I liked this one though

would it surprise you or anyone if i said that a lot of the witcher creatures are similar to guarani mythology as well.
Godling = Jasy Jatere
Leshy = Ka'aguy pora
Chort = Ao Ao

barghest = Plata Yvyguy

Hounds of Tindalos.

They're a creature that will pursue you forever once they get your scent. They can move between angles, so long as that angle is less than 120 degrees.

There's something about that condition that is inherently terrifying to me. It's too specific, but at the same time far, far too prolific. I look around the room I am in, I look around the house in which I live. The street beyond my windows, the world beyond that street. Nowhere is safe. We live in a world of sharp edges, find safety in shelters of walls and corners, and the Hounds turn those safe places into a source of profound terror. It sets me on edge just to imagine how it must feel to see the angles of a staircase and fear for your life.

God, I hate the Hounds of Tindalos.

Nope

Back the fuck up

what a cutie

No u.

youtube.com/watch?v=1JQpE7n6eUk

Ball python 2cute

S is for snake!

Reptile owners usually aren't that bad. Its the vorefags who give them a bad name.

Reminds me of this guy.

>noticesbulge.jpg