ITT user graciously categorizes your settings in a way that leaves no room for argument

ITT user graciously categorizes your settings in a way that leaves no room for argument

What the fuck is electropunk? Nikola Tesla?

>TES
>low fantasy
>ASOIAF
>dark fantasy

I don't make the rules, I just post them for the benefit of your players

>skyrim
>low fantasy
>not song of ice and fire
what the fuck this guy is smoking

Best setting last setting

Literally the only thing keeping OP from being an irredeemable faggot

>magical realm

But it's so wrong on so many levels to have high/heroic fantasy setting where one kills fucking dragons (and is a fucking dragon) to be an example of LOW fantasy.

Arena, Daggerfall and Redguard can be considered low fantasy, but Morrowind onward are undoubtedly high fantasy

might jack off to that girl

I'm making a somewhat simple setting where the environment is similar to ours but magic mutates or animates flora and fauna, and the strongest densities of it give form to ideas both whimsical and malevolent. Would that be "magical land"?

I dislike how a lot of these "Xpunk" setting have nothing punk in it

>the one that started it all

I'm like 86.4% sure that cyberpunk was coined before steampunk.

It was. Steampunk came alongside the advent of alternate history, once it moved past WW2 and the cold war

Also the dresden files

Yep. It's clearly someone who just glanced at the aesthetic and didn't go beyond that.

Have to agree with this user here about ASOIAF being in the wrong place, although I'd place Skyrim in a middle ground between high and dark fantasy.

Yeah, it's pretty sad when only steampunk story with actual punk in it is high (that is turning low due to technology) fantasy CRPG called Arcanum.

I wouldn't say that other xpunks (except maybe clockpunk and electropunk, but honestly they're just subgenres of steampunk) suffer from the same though. Dieselpunk often has quite lots of punk in it as does sandalpunk.

Skyrim is high fantasy as fuck; you travel to other planes of existence in the service of other Gods on a world where gaping holes to other realms hang in the sky overhead while doing a quest to defeat the personification of the very concept of the end of time.

dark fantasy doesn't really seem like a genre so much as a tone of high fantasy desu senpai.

Nah

I think the author is one of those disgusting revisionists who classify Jules Verne as steampunk.

LOW FANTASY

LOOOOOOOOW FANTASY

Did he say Low Fantasy? He said between High and Dark, which I think both of those pictures would fall in.

This is true, although it's typically low fantasy (like Berserk) that gets called dark fantasy. Something that could be called dark fantasy is some of more fantastical stuff by Lovecraft or Stephen King, but that's not what the author was thinking about. I'd also argue it's too rare to be called genre and has more common with horror than fantasy genre.

Yes he did, he said it right here
"The fact of the matter is, TES is low fantasy"

>retards still think conan went shirtless all the time and never wore armour
this idiot has obviously never read Conan before

Literally the only Veeky Forums work in this type of setting I can think of is Unhallowed Metropolis.

Which is an A+ setting if you don't read the actual backstory.

>Ghost in the shell
>Snow Crash
>Mirror's edge

>Post cyberpunk

What is this?
Why is this person allowed to say things?

Well shit. Ignoring /pol/ images is usually a good idea, my bad.

SUPAAAA LOOOOOOOOW FANTAAASYYYYY

IMO Berserk is about equal to Warhammer in fantasy amount (magic and monsters are rare but uber powerful, everybody still mainly relies on steel and gunpowder) but I wouldn't say the latter is low fantasy

its just a setting where magic is omnipresent enough to have guilds of wizards and a lost race built massive ruins filled with technological wonders including a golem who could unspeak reality that was so powerful it caused time itself to break for a period

Thing that makes Warhammer high fantasy is the fact that elves and dwarves are common.

GRITTY LOW FANTASY

Or how about that time three people used a body part of the God responsible for creating the world to steal divinity from Gods and got into a war with the resurrected transcendent similar deity who is technically sleeping in the afterlife and dreaming in reality.

>Ghost in the shell
Stand Alone Complex is a pretty good example of what Post-Cyberpunk is about
It contains all the visual elements of cyberpunk, but instead of being based on and reacting to the 1980's its based on the early to mid 90's.
That and its more or less tossed the whole "cybernetics eat your soul" angle a lot of cyberpunk has in favour of "chrome is cool, but go too far and people start thinking your just a weapon"

>I dislike how a lot of these "Xpunk" setting have nothing punk in it
Conversely, I enjoy seeing people whine that -punk is used as a shorthand for "element featured prominently in this setting" as though if they keep complaining, maybe everybody else in the world will stop doing it.

I mean what's wrong with telling people their wrong? If there is nothing punk about a setting, find another descriptor.

>brb just going to my steampunk job on the railroad

When did criticising people's idiocy become "whining"?

What other descriptor? Or would you seriously prefer people saying "world where steam became the dominant technology" every single time they want to talk about Steampunk?
-punk has become widespread and well known short hand for giving the gist of a fictional setting, getting upset about the evolution of language is a dead end road

steam fantasy or steam fiction

How are guy richies Sherlock Holmes films steampunk they're literally set in historical Europe. That's like saying the illusionist is steampunk because it's in 1900s Austria.

>I can say things wrong because language evolves

You sound like a black person. We wuz steampunk and shiet, nigga! To be honest you don't really need a shorthand because something like atompunk doesn't really mean anything anyways. It makes settings become generic and without organic qualities. Idk about you but I don't really give a shit about goggles and gear world #357, it's the drama, power struggles, and exploration of philosophy that makes a setting worth exploring.

>I mean what's wrong with telling people their wrong?
Their wrong what? If you meant to say "They are wrong", you made a mistake.

But really, we live in this thing called reality, where the meaning of words change, and new meanings are added on as time goes by. A lot of the words you're happy to use are considered "wrong" by people who were born prior to your birth. This doesn't make those words meaningless, or indicate that you're retarded for using them. It just means that the meaning of words change, and new meanings are added on as time goes by.

>maybe everybody else in the world will stop doing it.

the majority of people wouldn't recognise anything -punk except cyberpunk and steampunk, and steampunk is pretty niche. most of these terms are pushed by TVtropes rejects who find autistically catagorizing fiction more fun than actually consuming it, hence their obsession with genres that don't even exist.

Its set in historical Europe but there's a few anachronisms like the radio detonator in the first movie. More like a case of "a little too advanced for its time though"
A better steampunk movie would have been City of Lost Children

It's a bit frustrating to understand how dialects work and why AAVE/ "ebonics" is perfectly serviceable because it follows its own structure and rules with regularity and predictability, even when new words are introduced into it, but be unable to make people aware of this because they're stuck in a mindset that nigger English is just English for dumb people.

Keep fighting the good fight, user! I'm sure if you throw out enough insults on Veeky Forums you'll be able to stem the tide of linguistic change.

Language has become standardized through academia and technology. There are examples of language evolution but most of that falls under slang and casual conversation. While categorization of fictional settings really isn't that big a deal in reality, using punk where there are no punk themes is a misnomer. If you want to continue and spread it, fine. That's language. But you've caused punk to lose it's meaning because it refers to a specific power dymanic.

Atomic robo covers multiple time periods, though. It can't really be called teslapunk since that's only a small part of it.

There are a few problems with AAVE, and from dealing/tutoring with gradeschool children I can tell you why:

One, it's not as standardized as you claim. The rules change from area to area. They are similar, but different enough to be considered inconsistent.

Two, it is actually a hindrance when these children begin to read and write. Writing standard english is much harder for them to learn than their white peers. (White country bumpkins have similiar struggles but not as much).

Three, it makes them sound uneducated whether they are or not. We live in a world of appearences. For the sake of their children, niggers should stop talking like niggers.

I agree with all your points. Still frustrating to try explaining it to people who think it's literally just "bix nood"-style nonsense words.

I'm really shocked that Veeky Forums doesn't talk about those books more often.

Lord of the Rings is low fantasy. Despite the stakes the fantasy level is minimal, most powers are grounded and sensible and the magic is mysterious, rare, and ill-defined.

These are retarded, will someone who can read this tell me if he at least covered whale oil punk?

It was.
The Difference Engine is the first example of "Steampunk".

it's almost like how much magic is defined has nothing to do with whether it's high fantasy

Because Veeky Forums doesn't like being positive about things.

I know these are supposed to be funny, but they don't do any of the genres justice.

Heroic Fantasy, for example, was about showing how civilization made individuals weak, but made mankind as a whole stronger. Gibson wasn't oblivious to the fact that he was making social commentary on the modern world, and had other points to make on transhumanism as well.

Steam, Diesel, Atom, Electro, and Clockpunk are indeed dumb memes, but even Steampunk started the revolution of anachronistic tech in speculative fiction.

You forget stonepunk as a dumb meme.

The author couldn't have chosen more mainstream examples.

But it's not. That makes it low fantasy. Your post is simply wrong.

That's the point, ya dip. Examples are used to help people place an new idea within what they already know.

>the bible
>fantasy

Haven't read the Old Testament, have you?

You've got a point, but it would have been more informative if alongside the mainstream it pointed out lesser known gems in a genre (for example Fafhrd & Grey Mouser for heroic fantasy).

Proposal of alternate names for -punk genres:
Steampunk -> Cogfoppery (especially if there are no counterculture elements)
Dieselpunk -> Roaring Twenties
Stonepunk -> Paleofiction
Clockpunk -> Unsteamed cogfoppery
Electropunk -> Turn of the century
Biopunk -> Frankensteinian fiction
Atompunk -> Raygun Gothic

I like these. But Raygun Gothic is its own thing. Atompunk is its cynical grandson, looking back on Raygun Gothic and making fun of it, unaware that they themselves are a bad joke.

Roaring twenties and turn of the century don't imply the fantastical elements that are usually present in those settings.

I like another user's suggestion, where anything -punk can just be renamed to

>(insert era here) with airships

(insert era here) with mad science

the point wasn't to inform people about other works in the genre they should go read, it was about helping them recognize and differentiate between the different genres.
It's about fixing terminology misconceptions, not inducting them into readership of all these genres.

Nah the point is needlessly delineating every single aesthetic into it's own steel donut genre, which actually obfuscates everything in the long run.

There's no need to clarify terminology when barely anyone uses that terminology to begin with.

>Steampunk -> Cogfoppery (especially if there are no counterculture elements)
Top tier suggestion, will use
>Stonepunk -> Paleofiction
is in fact the correct term, yes.

>Atompunk -> Raygun Gothic
Already in use elsewhere

>Dieselpunk -> Roaring Twenties
>Electropunk -> Turn of the century
Absolutely not. Just cause it was the 1920s in our setting doesn't mean it will be in every setting.

>Clockpunk -> Unsteamed cogfoppery
That's stupid, just call it Renaissance.

>Biopunk -> Frankensteinian fiction
I would no more do this than call all low fantasy settings Tolkienian or all magic academies Rowlingesque.
Actually worse, since Frankenstein is all about the marvels of electricity and man's folly of blind pride. Biopunk is about gene manipulation and synthetic biological implants.
Every genre is named after whatever it's applied phlebotinum is. Raising the dead with lightning, getting bitten with a radioactive spider, genetically engineered supersoldiers and rampant genetic mutation, cybernetic implants.

All stem from the idea that "this wonderful new concept has so much possibility, one day we will surely completely solve it completely and in turn solve all problems utilizing it" it envisions a society that overembraces this miracle invention.

Really, the -Punk suffix should be used when there is a deconstructive element that emphasizes negative reprocussions that might occur in this hypothetical future, things like "but at what cost?" and the oppressive control these powerful tools afford to our rulers, who often have their own interests at heart.

So while Flintstones is definitely paleo (all problems will be solved with carved stone, rope, and domestication) it wouldn't be paleopunk unless it also started asking things like "Unemployment rises as workers are replaced by trained animals," "How ethical is our treatment of these t
animals?" "He who controls the quarry controls society, and might makes right when he's riding a mammoth, but should it?"

Why does nobody ever focus on the child labor, lack of worker protections and oppressive class systems of steampunk?

>Really, the -Punk suffix should be used when there is a deconstructive element that emphasizes negative reprocussions that might occur in this hypothetical future, things like "but at what cost?" and the oppressive control these powerful tools afford to our rulers, who often have their own interests at heart.

Why is there so little Fantasy(or would it just be called "[level] Magic")-punk?
Shadowrun is a kind of, but it's also cyber and bio, and like 4 others.
And Eberron is a dieselpunk meets high fantasy. So in a way.

But it's very rare for anyone to deconstruct the societal effects of magic and magical creatures.

Because Steam locomotives were 1804 while the National Child Labor Committee was formed in 1904.

If anything Child Labor and unchecked monopolies would be a Dieselpunk issue, then.

>issues only exist as soon as an official committee is formed to address them
user, I...

No, but committees appear just as soon as some concerned soccer mom decides it's a bad idea, for good or ill. and as such, are rarely if ever more than a decade after the initial phenomenon.

>TFW no Biblical wargame.

I want to run a Hebrew Pre-Monarchy warband led by Samson armed with an ox jaw.

That's be fantastic; think about it; you'd have characters with great powers, magic section could revolve around ritual and prayer and such, you could have to do objectives, like walk around the objective several times etc or blow trumpets at a specific moment. Could be pretty cool.

I thought it was an ass, not an ox. Or is the ox jaw an optional upgrade?

But my campaign is a Western.

This thread is a collection of autisms the likes of what I've rarely seen. The only people who would unironically call something "teslapunk" are people with mental issues who need little boxes to put everything in or they have a fit.

Linguist here. AAVE is fine. Pushing genre labels that don't exist is retarded, it's 2018 ffs.