ITT: Shit That GMs do

ITT: Shit That GMs do

>complains because we didn't read the book and he has to school us at first
>complains about us reading the book more than him

>complains about player that has a super short backstory and characterization because "he's just THERE"
>complains about player that has a longer and more involved story and characterization because "he's hogging the attention like he thinks he's the protagonist of the game or something"

>complains when we get "too" involved in investigation and roleplaying
>complains when we ignore his sidequest cues in order to continue with the path ahead

>complains about us reaching an insane power level that trivializes his combat
>he's the one who gave us the exp, items, money and homebrew/unofficial content that got us to this power level in the first place

>complains because we take too much time looking for traps or exploring details of the dungeon he made too thoroughly because he really wants to use his boss
>complains when we bolt through the obvious path because we missed an encounter or two

Attached: disgust.png (395x429, 188K)

Are you possible part of the same group as me?

Because i'm gonna quit when the arc is over.

I do not think you have a GM problem, you have a cunt problem...

t. GM

>complains because we didn't read the book and he has to school us at first
Maybe you should read the fucking book you stupid cunt.

>>complains about us reading the book more than him

>I don't understand moderation

You sound like a shit player

>Encourages us to invest in our characters with extra XP for backstories and RP.
>Gets pissy when I ask him to convert our game to be Adventure League.

He got me into this character, why does he suddenly have a problem when I want to play him in additional games?

Attached: A196740A-2B30-40C7-B96A-46D9F252BCA8.jpg (736x952, 86K)

is this seriously a question or am I getting baited?

>>complains about player that has a super short backstory and characterization because "he's just THERE"
>>complains about player that has a longer and more involved story and characterization because "he's hogging the attention like he thinks he's the protagonist of the game or something"
This can actually be a legitimate problem. I ran a group with one player who gave me a half-page of bullet points for his character description and another player who gave me a 10-page short story.

Half a page of bullet points can be more than enough, depending on how he writes a bullet point.

>Born on farm
>Father died from bandits at age 10
>Became man of family and had to learn to fight.
>Mother feel ill at age 23, she died.
>Went out to avenge father/protect good familys.

Noble farm fighter PC with decent short backstory that can fit most settings and plots.

You''ve obviously never GMed. While a few of things you listed are indeed retarded(especially if we're talking about one person doing all of them), most of them are either completely fine or just understandable from the GM perspective, even if in their case he should probably keep his woes to himself.

Serious? I like the character and want to play him at other tables.

Shit that BAD GMs do*

Can't you just put the character into an Adventure League page yourself? It's not like anyone's gonna know.

Is it just me who really likes playing Adventure League? Maybe it's just my autism speaking, but it feels like I'm playing an MMO.

>"it's a political/intrigue game"
>never explains anything about the political climate or who anyone is
>acts like we're retarded for unsuccessfully bumbling our way through using the scarce information he provided

I would, but I’d also like to get credit or progress for what I do in this campaign since it’s my main one.

Update from the last few hours: Apparently the GM got pissy because we’ve never run adventures out of books, it’s always been stuff he created, and he took me asking for conversion to AL to be me saying I’d rather be playing pregen content.

>>complains because we didn't read the book and he has to school us at first
>>complains about us reading the book more than him
>>complains about player that has a super short backstory and characterization because "he's just THERE"
>>complains about player that has a longer and more involved story and characterization because "he's hogging the attention like he thinks he's the protagonist of the game or something"

To be fair, there is a proper middle ground on both these points.

A player should try to be somewhat familiar with the setting and system, but there are also people out there who look up Monster Manual entries to know hit points and weaknesses. GM's not knowing the setting is their own issue though.

As for backstory, you should have one to inform the character, so you read it and get an idea of who the character is. Most GM's want room to work within it though to fit it into the course of the game. A good example is I have a character with many lower-class half-siblings often in need of handouts, while I could name and place each in the world, my GM likes that I didn't so he can have one happen to be where we are to harass me or show up as part of a larger plot.

>t. Cunt
ftfy

>Makes puzzles, investigations, social interactions, mysteries, etc. really fucking hard
>Complains that we're stupid when we can't figure it out.

Fuck you Dave, if anyone else was willing to DM, you'd be out in a heartbeat.

ITT: ungrateful bitch player OP that doesn't know how much work GMing is

>how much work GMing is
boo hoo bitch

>boo hoo bitch, just slave away at your game and shut up so I can play

said no one, ever.

>Listens to the hyper-optimised combat player
>Runs a high risk/borderline no reward module
>Powerhouse player exploits vague wording to take zero damage and deal 130 a turn
>DM wonders why our group trivialised the module
Maybe don't let the ranger/rogue/fighter with an oathbow, sneak attack, hunter's mark and colossus slayer who can make 4 attacks a turn because they dipped into fighter for action surge play? We all know he's a faggot "lel my character is mark whalberg" should of given that away

Attached: 1520226149122.png (220x270, 121K)

>there are NO other GMs in existence, you should be grateful even if he's an absolute cunt

you do know that anyone can take your spot, right
all of the players in my group have GMd in the past and everyone is willing to take the mantle at any given time, and so it has been with most of my groups
everyone knows that a shit GM is not worth it

Second. Even I know how to dm kinda. sure I only did it because it's easier to run games during my slow hours and reap the overloaded AL rewards. But fuck, until you get into hard homebrew it's 90% reading what somebody else wrote, putting On voices and having the most common saves/mechanics on hand

plus the fact that most people who think they're all-powerful masters of the table because they're running a game fail to realize that most of the shit they're doing isn't that special to begin with
we're playing a game, not collaboratively writing a novel of the highest quality, and the moment anyone realizes that it becomes much easier to run a game and to tell a bad GM to fuck off

Attached: 1 HP left.png (702x397, 145K)

Didn't say that. Sure there are bad GMs, but OP sounds like he's impossible to please. GMing isn't hard but it's work nonetheless.

no dude, this is entitlement. i know its not a big leap for him to do it but if you DM doesn't like or do adventure league its their call, as the person running the game.

Make me use the toilet instead of the soda bottle I specifically brought so I wouldn't have to get up. Wtf it's less time spent not gaming

Yo.
Don't do that, you fucking animal.

My GM did when I read a book about done superficial setting information.
He asked me why I would spoiler myself.

It's just piss. Fucking normies are so obsessed with hygiene.

Just saying, if I were a GM running a game in my home, you'd be asked to leave if you were pissing in a bottle.
At least asked to go use the bathroom. Now if you spilled the piss bottle, you'd be asked to leave.

I've only ever spilled it once and it was an accident. What does it matter? It's just piss. Have you seriously never gotten piss on your carpet before?

Not the guy you're responding to, but funnily enough, I haven't. My aim somehow unerringly seeks out the toilet.

Well good for you that you waste precious game time pissing into the toilet.

Okay so I may have just really screwed things up. Important question: If you play a campaign at a friend’s house and it’s all content the DM has created, are you able to do Adventure League? Or is AL ONLY pregen scenarios and adventures?

>Ask GM if you can go out and get a neat new weapon or other piece of wargear for your character that you should at least have a chance of acquiring in the location you're in.
>Says "no" without even looking at what the weapon or wargear in question actually is because he assumes whatever item anyone specifically asks for is some broken meta OP thing

It's just a fucking autogun FFS let my medic have his PDW. Your combat is already much harder than it has to be because you don't know how to implement the cover mechanic into maps and nobody but me actually read the stupid rulebook.

>Admits he knows less about the system about my
>Specifically came to me for advice on allowing things
>Ignored my reasoning behind opinions what should be allowed/banned/changed for max fun/ease
>Backed up with sources, most of the time

>Decides to just go fuck it and allow everything instead
>It immediately backfires
This is why you have a flying demonic gunslinger with advantage on every turn past level 2 in what should have been a fun, starter fantasy adventure, fool.

Attached: 1463870154966.jpg (600x450, 175K)

It's AL only. That's like making a homebrew character, walking into AL and saying "It's cool guys, I played him at a friends house." and then steam rolls everything.

AL is all within parameters that WOTC has made and provides for loot, GMs are basically just show runners with a script already made for them, they just present it. If you go into a table saying you played before and they ask you what you did and you don't know what the AL campaigns are and having gear that isn't in the books or the AL provided loot, they are going to give you a real shitty look.

Oh. And if you were a DM who generated full yellow pads of dungeons, backstory, characters and content for a campaign and one of your players asked you to switch over to AL, how pissed would you be on a scale of one to ten?

I may have just fucked up bad.

Uh, maybe pissed? It depends on the person, and how well I know you in general. That being said, it's just easier to draw up another character for AL if his entire thing is homebrew.

You wouldn't be able to go to Adventurer's League. All AL characters have to start at level 1 with PHB starting gear/money*

*If you DM Adventurer's League games, you can get reserve experience that can be applied to your characters to make them start at higher levels, depending on how much DM XP you have. If you DM a lot, you can even start with flying races and magic items.

...The sad part is that this causes lots of powergamers to take up DMing.

My DMs do it because they get paid in store credit. My LGS decided that AL brought in so many people that it pissed off the owner that they can't make money that isn't off of impulse purchases, so they charge 5$ to participate in AL now because "We don't provide gaming space for free!" but the backlash was huge from the veteran TT players because they said "AL is free and we pay out of pocket for the adventures to run at your store. The fuck are you even doing, at this point we can just do it in our houses. You are just a sanctioned place for WOTC shit." so they tried to mitigate it to say "w-well the money will go to the DMs of the tables so they can get things for their hard work!" and now most DMs do it to get free shit.

>make a a campaign that has key points he funnels us into no matter what happened prior
>could have been on friendly terms and helping out the kingdom and suddenly the king comes out of the closet as the BBEG and has named us his enemies for literally no reason despite us having done more for his ultimate goals endgame than he has because that's how the story is supposed to go

>puts us in some shit scenario with a hyper specific solution just so he can flex his amazing keikaku and dungeon building skills
>refuses to accept the completely valid escape plans like drilling through the walls that are thin enough to hear through with a legit drill or an explosion the mage is perfectly capable of creating
>his excuse is the equivalent of Gaia forum freeform rocksfall no the walls magically too thick or everything is suddenly explosion proof our only chance is to put the slave collars on

>they insist on having a dmpc
>they insist on making the dmpc a central figure
>they insist on making the dmpc the only option for moving the plot forward
>they insist on not only all of the above but also forcing the entire party to suck on their dmpc's ego

>Runs a D&D game
>Changes standard D&D cosmology and what is meant by several races.
>Does not bother to explain this to new players
>Jumps down their throats when they can't read his mind and misunderstand what is meant by something like a "fallen angel".

>Complains when you roll low then don't reroll

My dm wears swastika armbands

"That doesn't sound realistic in the slightest, why would I let you do that?"
>"It's a base class ability at seventh level."
"I still don't think it sounds realistic."
>"Magic exists, people can fly. Who gives a shit?"
"But it's not magic being used!"
>gfd.jpg

Attached: rfed.jpg (600x400, 34K)

Be honest, how often are the enemies (((elves)))?

>DM watches Bright
>suddenly the campaign takes a more politically inclined turn where (((elves))) have been caught manipulating the market in a slow 1000 year cycle while simultaneously encouraging the production and breeding of half-X's to undermine every races cultural identity and natural strengths
>started by us having to stop the planned formation of human ghettos and half-orc slums that would eventually grow into each other and then combine before nucleating into a dredd-style megacity with the walled off elf sector as it's government center and policing force over the next 2000 years
>have to assassinate some elf who will be the face of this new world and is the mastermind behind it all
>this used to be basic low fantasy 3 sessions prior

Just because GMing can be a tough job doesn't mean that GMs can't be cunts and/or shit at being GMs

Don't let your snowflake feelings get hurt so bad fellow GM

Bright is a good movie though.

Never claimed otherwise though it does have moments where it falls flat.

>this whole thread
thanks for reminding me that GMing is a thankless job and players are petulant shits.

Attached: 1520682745132.gif (303x357, 544K)

>it feels like I'm playing an MMO

Exactly. That's why I don't like AL.