How strong would a bomb have to be to destroy a planet?

How strong would a bomb have to be to destroy a planet?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_binding_energy
qntm.org/destroy
qntm.org/data
orionsarm.com/eg-article/49fe3e605d052
orionsarm.com/eg-article/486309536aee1
orionsarm.com/eg-article/4a2e9640c1915
orionsarm.com/eg-article/4bd95f45a5d76
orionsarm.com/eg-article/5062fd4d7f5cb
youtube.com/watch?v=53OjnId6Bho
projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/usefultables.php#id--The_Boom_Table
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorine_trifluoride
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Define "destroyed" for a Planet

Why do you want to destroy a planet? They are extreme inefficient use of space with their population concentrated on the surface of the crust. You dont need to blow it up to kill everyone in it.

Earth could survive within the Sun's first layer for a couple hundred years. It's Iron Core may survive longer.

Three boxes of baking soda.

Depends.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_binding_energy

very strong

How powerful would a single conventional bomb need to be in order to sterilize the earth?

It doesn't have to be in the initial explosion.

define "conventional".

Its not about how big it is, its about how you use it.

not all that powerful if it's stacked with radioactive cobalt and detonated in the upper atmosphere

The Chicxulub impact (the asteroid that caused the dinosaurs to go extinct) was estimated to have generated an explosive force equal to 100 teratonnes of TNT. The resulting nuclear winter wiped out 75% of all existing species at that time. Scale that up accordingly, but keep in mind the words of Jeff Goldblum "Life...uh...finds a way."

There are radiotrophic fungi living inside the Chernobyl reactor.

about 50,000 megatons would be enough to kill of most humans with dust clouds and shifting of the planets orbit.

closer to 5,000,000 to break the planet into space rocks

I'd say like the impact that created the moon if it hit dead centre.

You'd have to boil the entire ocean if you want to get everything.

>Sterilize

You're not gonna do it. A meteor impact might wipe out a lot of life, maybe all intelligent life and most complex life. An even bigger one might wipe out anything but fairly simple life forms. But there are things living miles down in the ocean on boiling acid. There are microbes that live in rock cysts within the deep parts of the earth, surviving on radiation with life spans thousands of years long. You might be able to get rid of a lot of life, but unless you powder the planet or throw it into the sun, life will still be there in some form. There's an entire book on this called "Impossible Extinction" .

qntm.org/destroy

>The Earth is built to last. It is a 4,550,000,000-year-old, 5,973,600,000,000,000,000,000-tonne ball of iron. It has taken more devastating asteroid hits in its lifetime than you've had hot dinners, and lo, it still orbits merrily. So my first piece of advice to you, dear would-be Earth-destroyer, is: do NOT think this will be easy.

qntm.org/data

>The minimum amount of energy required to directly destroy the Earth in situ is equal to the Earth's gravitational binding energy:

>Gravitational binding energy of the Earth: 2.2405 * 1032 kg m2 s-2

>In the case of the antimatter method all that energy will be generated from the lossless conversion of equal parts of matter and antimatter to energy.

>Mass of matter and antimatter required to blast the Earth apart: 2.4928 * 1015 kg
>Mass of antimatter: 1.2464 * 1015 kg

well about the potential energy stored in a human body strong.

your notations are fucked use ^ not *

With conventional bomb, ie a large ammount of explosives, it is pretty much impossible. In terms of game worlds you have to rely on some sort of superweapon that has nothing to do with real modern science.

Do you mean like the picture shown? Several hundred million gigatons of force. The simultaneous detonation of every single nuclear weapon made by man would still not make the grade.

or have access to ftl drives on a big enough cargo ship.

>ftl drives
As said "has nothing to do with real modern science".

Non-nuclear.

You'd need to make it hot enough to boil the oceans away, so I think sustained bombardment with diverted meteorties would be the easiest option, though it would take a fucking long time.

Because sometimes the only answer is a global fuck you.

His copypaste clearly fucked the ^ out of existence, user.
2.2405^1032 isn't 2.2405*10^32 at all.

Just technobabble up a black hole generator

Depends on how fast it's moving.

Some ideas for your bomb.
orionsarm.com/eg-article/49fe3e605d052
orionsarm.com/eg-article/486309536aee1
orionsarm.com/eg-article/4a2e9640c1915
orionsarm.com/eg-article/4bd95f45a5d76
My favorite:
orionsarm.com/eg-article/5062fd4d7f5cb

Wow, someone actually managed to suggest massive overkill.

I've wondered if we could get the Earth into the Sun through a "billiard ball" approach: knock an asteroid to knock a bigger asteroid to knock Mars so that it his Earth the right way not to blow it up per se but make its orbit so elliptical it either falls into the sun or gets thoroughly melted.

2 packs of mentos and a liter of Diet Coke should do it.

Orionsarm is pretty wizard.

Well, 6 chaos emeralds were only enough to blow up half the moon, but you should be able to if you had all 7

youtube.com/watch?v=53OjnId6Bho

A Tsar Bomb detonated at the bottom on the Mariana Trench could theoretically do it to earth. It's not likely though, it'd most probably cause massive tsunami's, cataclysmic earthquakes and then a potentially extinction event amount of Volcanic Eruptions.

Hell, that super-volcano in Yellowstone probably doesn't need much prodding to go off.

projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/usefultables.php#id--The_Boom_Table
here ya go

Where the hell did you read that?

you'll need a lot of fertilizer
like a whole lot

Didn't someone calculate this for GURPS?

strong

>it'd most probably cause massive tsunami's, cataclysmic earthquakes and then a potentially extinction event amount of Volcanic Eruptions.
Eh, something as small as the Tsar Bomba isn't world shaking. It's energy output is "merely" comparable to that of an ~8.4-8.5 earthquake which only happen in geologically unstable areas by default. So likely a tsunami and some aftershock quakes.

So en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorine_trifluoride is fine then?

>Impossible Extinction

thanks, I had some credit floating around that I needed to use.

He literally saw it in a fucking YouTube video and never questioned it. I’m not joking. I saw it at some point, too. He is THIS mentally fucking retarded.

Wew. What a retard indeed.

Gravitational force is a hell of a drug, user. There's a reason all the asteroid impacts on Earth haven't sent the planet careening into outer space.

Don't forget the fuck-tonnes of inertia from being a giant ball of "oxygen 46%, silicon 28%, aluminum 8.2%, iron 5.6%, calcium 4.2%, sodium 2.5%, magnesium 2.4%, potassium 2.0%, and titanium 0.61%. Other elements occur at less than 0.15%."

Oh sorry that's just the crust, I meant "iron (32.1%), oxygen (30.1%), silicon (15.1%), magnesium (13.9%), sulfur (2.9%), nickel (1.8%), calcium (1.5%), and aluminium (1.4%); with the remaining 1.2% consisting of trace amounts of other elements."

Some napkin math suggests that you would need 10x the earth's mass in tnt equivalent to do it.

About the Thunderbolt:

The Destoyer has been found.

What have you done? The inhuman grief reverberates through my soul for a piercing instant before my connection clamps off my technological telepathy with Cara.

I no longer know who I am.

Am I the being that was incarnated in Terragens flesh, known most recently as the Sarge?

Or the scared child witnessing the cindering of his world and death of his family, friends, and civilization?

Or the calculating presence that inhabits the vast gravitational octopus body with its single unblinking eye, a construct my lesser forms would quail from as a poetically named Angel of Death, if mere thought-symmetry could be said to apply to such an artifact of destruction?

I am all these things and more, but presently I am here.

Here is the camp of the Enemy.

As we suspected, one cannot seed the galaxy with technological death spores, without a fruiting body.

This body is the rich gaseous core of a dozen proto-stars, fed by the slowly collapsing gas cloud a few hundred light years across, in the star-making edges of Orion's arm.

It is all there; the vast filaments to harvest the thin hydrogen wind and thinner galactic magnetic field.

The monopole-fueled catalysis of matter into energy, and hydrogen into heavier elements.

And the antennae, light-years long, made of finely spun conducting carbonforms, transmitting the Accursed Signal through slow-space to infect the hearing of its listeners.

All shall be stilled.

And Lo!, I drew forth from my sheathes of folded space my most terrible sword, the rosette of stabilized mini-blackholes and wormholes interspersed in careful patterning.

A Thunderbolt to unmake the Heavens.

I took my measure of the camp of the enemy, of the stretch and reach of his resources, the hideous business of his activity.

His infection.

I carefully adjusted my rosette, sacrificing half of my essence to do so.

I quietly infiltrated one of his busy workers, overwriting its consciousness with a shard of mine, then sent it back into the camp of the enemy.

I waited for its report and a myriad others.

Half of my remaining essence into final adjustments.

The rest into this fragment of my consciousness, now safely away by Void-ship, bearing witness of our vendetta against these usurpers, the termination of their worldlines.

Goodbye.

Where the enemy megastructures were, threading light years through overlapping proto-Oort clouds, the universe itself is unravelled into ultimate chaos. I feel the faint echoes of the pop-pop-pop close-separated deaths of wormholes and mini-black hole inspirals wash over me at last, and I deduce the detonation parameters.

From this distance there is little to see, so I expand myself a billion-fold, until I can resolve that which I seek.

And where the Enemy was, the Universe is no more.

Forever.

Bump

Technically OP says *a* planet, not necessarily Earth. How about we knock Mercury into the Sun, just for fun? You'd think that would be a lot easier.

Bump

The bomb needs to be strongish to destroy a planet.

A merely "strongish" bomb would only destory a planet on a nat 20.