What would Veeky Forums recommend as the best fantasy animes with dungeons, monsters and good worldbuilding?

What would Veeky Forums recommend as the best fantasy animes with dungeons, monsters and good worldbuilding?

I'm watching Made in Abyss and it's pretty good.

Attached: download (1).jpg (1024x576, 279K)

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/q9Xjv4p
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Overlord, Konosuba, and Record of Lodoss War come to mind.

Kuroinu

Cool, what are they about? Which one has the best animation?

Attached: mia.jpg (2559x1391, 608K)

Not so much dungeon and monster focused, but Guin Saga, Moribito, the Heroic Legend of Arslan OVA (maybe the new anime? Haven't seen it), and Rage of Bahamut are all pretty rad and have interesting worlds/stories worth looking at.
Legend of Crystania also has some interesting ideas though its a bit of a mess.
Berserk technically has all that shit, but is also not great on the anime front and probably the least feel good shit that would ever be in this thread.

>Overlord
Skeletal mage is trying to find out about the world, keep his children/followers in line, and try to figure out what he wants to do. Madhouse did the animation.
>Konosuba
A NEET becomes an adventurer and gets put in a party full of powergamers who suck at most things that don't involve killing boss monsters, hijinks ensue. Deen did the animation.
>Record of Lodoss War
Based on a D&D campaign. Not bad, but it's got that 90's animation going.

Thanks, user!

You guys are better than /a/ any day.

Attached: 1513227219427.png (540x637, 432K)

Kuroinu has a dark elf and a halfling girl getting inflated by orc/demon cum

There was never a good anime

Attached: map of hell layers anime2 made in abyss.jpg (2655x2131, 734K)

Konosuba doesn't have all that great worldbuilding, but is IS absolutely fucking hilarious once you get back the really stock standard first episode.

The Heroic Tale of Arslan is about a girly prince who has to rebuild his father's Kingdom after everything goes south. Unusual for anime, its actually really down to earth. No magic attacks, no ninja bullshit, just dudes hitting dudes with swords in a reasonable fashion. Which makes it all the more impressive when someone DOES do some anime bullshit like 'Holy fuck did that guy just jump OVER a horse and ride and stab the dude from above before landing on the other side? Fuck this plan I'm not fighting him.'

Rage of Bahamut is what if you took a painfully generic JRPG setting and cast as your main character some guy who instead should be in The Road to El Dorado? Everything the main character does is great to watch.

Chaika the Coffin Princess is one of those shoes that is just so goddamn WEIRD that its hard to get a read on it, and you sort of just keep watching because you are pretty sure this is bad but you really want to know what happens next. The plot takes place after the world ruling superwizard gets killed by a band of heroes, and years later a bunch of different retarded girls all claiming to be his daughter (we should be dead anyway) start coming out of the woodwork looking for the chopped up pieces of his corpse for reasons. Unicorns are fucking terrifying, and magic is gun based.

Vision of Escaflowne: Girl from earth gets involved with empire games in a magical fantasy land that has magic powered giant knight robots. She has a magic pendant that lets her read fortunes, but she mostly solves problems with track and field. Seriously, running and long jump has never been so consistently useful. Also: love triangles for days and the bad guy is treating the forces of fate and luck as if they obey newtonian physics and it WORKS.

Slayers or Orphen are both good for fantasy, both are 90's/ early 2000's though.

Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash doesn't have the most innovative plot, but it looks gorgeous and its a solid watch. Basically, a bunch of people wake up in fantasyland with no memory and wander into town. By everyone else's reactions, this happens sort of regularly so various guilds start poaching them immediately. All of the useful people go off and form a successful adventuring party. We follow the dumbasses left behind who still have to figure out a way to survive in this world. We are talking like 7 people, all working together, who struggle to kill even one basic goblin. That's how weak they are.

Is it Wrong to Pick up Girls in a Dungeon? is honestly really stupid by I enjoyed it anyway. Some weird giant dungeon complex big enough to hold entire cities inside shows up in the middle of nowhere. The gods take an immediate interest in it, because they don't know why its there. They didn't make it. In fact, they can't even go in and find out because the dungeon reacts REALLY BADLY to the presence of gods. So the gods start chilling on the mortal world outside the dungeon and empowering heroes to go explore it in their name, infatuated by the unknown novelty of it and making a game out of it among themselves. We follow Bell, literally the only servant of the unimportant goddess Hestia who is late to the party, as he becomes obsessed with a higher level lady adventurer who saves his life and wants to become her equal. The show is full of anime bullshit and waifus.

I wanted to watch Made in Abyss with my family because it has such a cool world and it looks like a Ghibli movie but first episode: loli bondage torture. Why the fuck do the japs do this?

Attached: made in abyss anime dungeon1.jpg (1276x717, 171K)

Because the artist's a massive fan of loli bondage torture?

Because the age of consent in Japan was 13 as recently as the late 90s, and culturally they still are not over the change. As the current generation of pedos dies off, it will slowly phase out of their media.

Because the entire series is actually a beautiful trap door into the author's magical realm of lolis, furshit, guro, and torture.

Attached: whoa mama.jpg (480x552, 63K)

I'm always conflicted about recommending log horizon. On the one hand the story is great and the political aspect and worldbuilding are really good, but it still is at it's core a story about mmos that tries and see how players could evolve as a society (in relation with sentient and humane npcs, how do they handle death & respawns, what about magic being real, how do they handle the status of adventurer's guilds, what about their politics with their neighbours etc, etc...)

H-he..he is?

Is the manga worth reading if you've seen the anime?

The manga is impressively drawn and really interesting, but the show tones down a lot of stuff that is more graphic in the manga. That goes for both the violence and the sexuality.

Made In Abyss manga pulls no punches. Most of it can be explained away by context, but not all of it. Its theoretically possible that the author doesn't have a fetish for this, but that's not the way to bet.

I'd say just wait for the already announced second season/movie we are getting if you want more and you have a weak constitution for these things.

I found this anime flowchart which may be useful for some people.

imgur.com/q9Xjv4p

Attached: download (11).jpg (1280x720, 125K)

>H-he..he is?

Wait, aren't you? I thought everyone was.

Attached: loli amazed.jpg (327x322, 32K)

>nobody could watch ALL of these series in their entirety
lol sure thing, kid

I don't mind but it would be awkward watching it with anyone else.

Attached: made in abyss anime dungeon2.jpg (1280x720, 206K)

>ctrl+f
>no Log Horizon

The manga is quite better than the anime.
It's pretty much the berserk situation when there is no way you can do the manga justice.
Said that the adaption was still good.

Casual filter.

Nigga, read Dungeon Meshi. You'll quickly ask yourself why you didn't sooner.

Dungeon meshi, Overlord, Konosuba.
For settings, inspiration I recommend Now and Then, Here and There,Kino no Tabi, Scrapped Princess, Last Exile.

>but it's got that 90's animation going.
>implying that's a negative

Some folks would rather treat their loli kindly.
Or even let her be in charge of things.

>not starting with a well-rounded dose of classics.
>judging by "genres and themes" instead of whatever looks good.
If it wasn't for your clever disclaimer, I was going to heavily criticize you and your chart.

But what if she specifically requested bondage torture?

That would be too good to be true

Seconding Dungeon Meshi. No anime (yet - hopefully only a matter of time), but the best dungeon-fantasy series I've ever given a shot.

Honestly can't think of any others that I've ever read or watched that I ended up liking.

Overlord's premise was interesting, but towards the end of the first season I started to hate it. Only finished watching the season in hopes it would turn back to what I enjoyed about it when I started. No interest in pursuing it further. It just doesn't mesh with me. (But it's worth giving a shot and seeing if what ended up being a deal-breaker for me makes you more excited, because I can see why it would for some people.)

I remember really enjoying Slayers back in the day, but I don't think I've touched it in over a dozen years and it was one of my very first anime, so I'm not sure what I'd think about it now.

If they didn't do a major battle by just slowly panning over a still image I wouldn't have complained.

What do you mean? It's a completely wholesome series.

Attached: file.png (786x4663, 3.86M)

Legend of Lemnear
Rune Soldier Louie
Dragon Pink(both OVA and manga)
Slayers
Dungeon Meshi

stay away from isekai

Attached: Legend of Lemnear.webm (640x480, 2.01M)

>Nigga, read Dungeon Meshi.
I have read Dungeon Meshi but I didn't think there was an anime of it. Where?

I think you misread my post? I meant to say "there isn't an anime, as requested in OP, but hopefully it will get one soon".

Ah, yes, my mistake. I do hope it gets an anime, it's one of the best light fantasy mangas out there.

what is made in the abyss? what is it about? looks like lolis in underwear: the anime

It also has shotas and suffering. Lots and lots of suffering.

What's up with that one cute shota in a dress and the big weird demon woman that people keep drawing?

I mean the fantasy elements of it

>There's a giant hole in an island, around which a city has grown
>Adventurers go down into the hole to find ancient artifacts
>The deeper you go, the worse the ill effects are when you try to go back up
>A little girl finds a robot boy
>They decide to go down into the hole to find the little girl's mother

It's got a pretty cool world.

>Forest of Inverted Trees

Attached: !abyss layer map demon underworld.jpg (2102x3000, 2.01M)

>made in abyss
>fantasy elements

don't listen to /a/

Attached: made in abyss anime dungeon3.jpg (1280x720, 137K)

Why did I have scroll so far down to find Dungeon Meshi??

So far it's only a manga.

Like other anons mentioned earlier, most of current fantasy anime is isekai (AKA normal guy dies, reincarnated into fantasy world with some gimmick). Most of these involve being reincarnated into an MMO-like game. SAO was the first big anime that started that trend. Of that genre, the best are probably KonoSuba for humor, and Log Horizon for politics & government. I'm a big fan of Overlord, but it's kinda ehh and the anime is extra ehh. Special shoutout for Ixion Saga DT for being pretty fucking funny.

Non-isekai fantasy anime that you might enjoy would be:
-The Heroic Legend of Arslan (historical fantasy)
-Escaflowne (slice of life fantasy),
-Junketsu no Maria (low historical fantasy set during the Hundred Years War)
-Katanagatari (historical fantasy set immediately after the Sengoku era)
-Shinsekai no Yori (post-post apocalyptic fantasy, hard to describe succinctly)
-Mushishi (shinto fantasy about a doctor who travels to backwoods villages)

To be honest though the best worldbuilding is found in manga.

Give Twelve Kingdoms a shout, too. Also the most recent remake of Mahoujin Guruguru for JRPG jokes. Twelve Kingdoms is Chinese influenced fantasy and intrigue, while MGG is deliberately generic for gags. There's also Magus Bride/Mahoutsukai no Yome, which is about a woman learning magic while betrothed to an ancient wizard (in multiple respects). A bit of a stretch, but the first Little Witch Academia does have magic and dungeon crawling.

If you want hardcover fantasy autism, read up on the Horizon series. But OP can't really go wrong with Slayers or Record of Lodoss War, but Konosuba is definitely up there.

Getting real tired of the Japanese AoC myth.

i still don't understand the appeal of having 95% of your setting to be videogame popculture refferences rather than actual fantasy.

What's at the bottom?

>
He is a self-admitted pedophile and really into guro involving children. Why do you think he draws this stuff?

12 Kingdoms was great but it just kinda stopped and left several plot threads dangling.

Attached: Rakushun.jpg (276x640, 51K)

I tried to watch Overlord but it was just so fucking boring and cringey.

The authors write what they know. Or in the case of SAO, write about games knowing nothing about games. Or fantasy. Or human interaction.
And still sell because it's a power fantasy for retarded 13-year olds.

You're too fucking boring and cringey.

Because "actual fantasy" is the same level of derivative unless you read magical realism exclusively.

Damn shame, that.

are you saying it's perfectly normal for characters to be talking about their stats, class and roles?

you can't be serious

Different user from the one who called it boring and cringey, but I don't entirely disagree.

It had an interesting premise and a good launch before immediately hitting a wall of Worldbuilding. The worldbuilding is kind of interesting, but slow.

I also got a bit of second-hand embarrassment over some of the main character's interactions with the rest of the cast. I'm not the demographic for any of the "love interests" presented to main character, and there wasn't much attention shown to the characters I was interested in.

It was difficult to determine if a character was someone I was supposed to get attached to, since almost every character that was introduced was given the same level of attention as someone who wouldn't be seen for several episodes or even ever again (at least in season 1). The only time "something bad" happened to a character and I cared, it killed my interest in the series entirely. The characters that I was "supposed" to find interesting evoked absolutely no response out of me when they were endangered, because I didn't care anything about them.

I really wanted to like Overlord, because I liked the premise and various aspects of its world and the mysteries it had really intrigued me. But I was no longer willing to trod through waist-high plodding story, a focus on parts of the cast I actively disliked, and feeling punished for liking certain characters.

It's totally cool to like Overlord - there were some things it did well. I just personally think they shot themselves in the foot multiple times and kept taking things away that I liked.

Each prefecture sets their own AoC, and all of them are 18+. 13 is just the lowest it can go.

The writer is a pedophile into scat, supposedly they neutered it big time for the anime but every time shit like that scene happens I can't get over it.

The anime was hugely popular, and the arc immediately following the anime is the best the series has to offer, IMO. So you should wait for the second season. The current arc started off strong but now it's a bit disjointed.

Regardless, it's a fairly short manga. If you "enjoyed" episode 10, then you're sure to enjoy the rest of the manga. There's a lot of horrible stuff happening to various people who may or may not deserve it, but the whole manga is carries a tone of positivity to it despite the shitty stuff that happens. Doesn't hurt that the art is amazing - if you are into fantastical landscapes, the anime art doesn't even remotely compare. The anime's landscapes are a bit more grounded than those seen in the manga - take this example, which is supposed to be on Layer 1. Even in black and white, there's a wispy, airy feel to the manga that the anime didn't quite capture right, IMO.

Attached: thumb-1920-860635.jpg (1920x1393, 572K)

Nausica of the Valley of the Wind.
Spirited Away.
Xam'd.
Seven Deadly Sins (I was surprised by the twist endings, even if the filler is annoying sometimes).

Season 1 did have some narrative issues, I'll admit. Most seemed to be because Madhouse tried to cut down so much for time that there were several missing plot points and characters that would have really helped things make more sense.

They did a much better job of all that in season 2, but some of the plot points there still don't have pay off until later.

I'll try to give season two a shot sometime, then.

>but it's got that 90's animation going.
90's animation did nothing wrong

Did it ever grew out of MCs being bunch of greedy monsters running around the world ruining it? What about boring “momonga accidentally subjugated everyone and awes everyone with nonexistent wisdom” routine?

seconding log horizon, solid watch

Huh... does nobody like Re:Zero? I would describe that as Isekai done well. Gets compared to Dark Souls a fair bit which is misleading. They’re nothing alike in tone, world building, art style or much of anything really. Re:Zero just has a thing where the main protag keeps getting his life reset to an earlier point in time when he dies. It’s mainly good for it’s mysterys slowly revealed and fun characters with the occasional good action scene.

>child torture adventure, the anime
>family entertainment

You want to sit down with your parents and watch a middle school kid cry blood as her friend desperately tries to amputate her arm? This is family entertainment to you?

Attached: 1474237512989.png (400x266, 136K)

>-Mushishi (shinto fantasy about a doctor who travels to backwoods villages)
Seconding Mushi Shi. I think it suffers just a little from being episodic instead of having a long-running narrative but the show has GOAT-tier atmosphere and mythology. Great thing to watch if you just want to chill for a bit.

Attached: c0096642d2c5e411e63b5abafa02f86d.png (1500x1060, 2.54M)

Most of my family watches Hannibal and Bates Motel together, so I'd imagine they might enjoy some good old child abuse

Re:Zero fucking sucks.

Why? I don’t love it don’t get me wrong. It’s overhyped.

>casualfags discover made in abyss
always amusing to observe.

Trigger warnings for plebs: shotacon, lolicon, sholicon, bondage, guro, suffering, body horror, loli nipples, piss, scat, death, suffering, friends being turned into soup, friends being turned into a mindless blob, have I mentioned suffering?, sadness, blood, dissection, netorare, tentacles and many more.

And yet, YES, it's good. It's unique and interesting, nice worldbuilding, interesting characters and immersing story. Just don't watch it with a family, it's NOT a ghibli-type movie. Watch the anime season 1, then read the manga (still ongoing). The anime so far adapted only like a third of the manga, with second season in the making.

Attached: bc5.png (1100x500, 765K)

Fullmetal Alchemist, both the 2003 adaptation and Brotherhood are quintessential fantasy anime in my mind.
Slayers, it's that old school D&D and 90's anime goodness.
Yu-Yu Hakusho if you're more of an urban fantasy kind of guy.
Soul Eater, much for the same reason as Hakusho, but with more of a punk-y bend to it.
Ancient Magus' Bride. Just watch it.

I mean hey, back in the day, people would come asking for a suitable anime to entertain younger sibling with. /a/ gave it a thought and suggested Higurashi. The unfortunate soul would watch the first episode with the little brother (or was is sister?), conclude that despite wonky animation it's legit child-friendly piece, set the rest of the episodes in queue, leaving to do his things.

I mean, there's more ways this place can ruin somebody's childhood than just showing them hardcore hentai of Teen Titans and Rescue Rangers.

Made in Abyss is what would happen if Kingdom Death made a children's cartoon and the art director said "FUCK NO, WE'RE NOT GIVING THE LOLIS DDDS."

Attached: c95475422f5d94b0b099097383935525_original (3).jpg (605x871, 89K)

She's a warden of a passage delvers' camp. She's basically a very high level delver with some modifications from the abyss' artifacts. The shota is simply under her supervision, like a student.

Attached: [jk17171] .jpg (1000x625, 170K)

Kingdom Death as drawn by Yuki Oshima.

This is from official transformers toy packaging.

Don't worry, she only looks like a loli. Takara took a firm stand on that. Because she couldn't have a driving license if she was underage.

Attached: AutrooperAtari2.jpg (567x696, 90K)

Don't sexualize Young Survivor!

Attached: loli hate anon.png (750x1000, 130K)

I can't wait for normies to discover best dad, loli spilling noises and loli struggling to poop quietly when the second season hits, it's gonna be glorious.

amen to that.

Attached: 1510872638077.png (595x842, 593K)

I don't know of a time when something like that happened.

If we're just suggesting general fantasy anime, rather than D&D/dungeon fantasy...

I highly recommend "Mononoke". (Not the Ghibli film - the anime series called "Mononoke". I'm sure Princess Mononoke is also great fantasy, though.) A bit twisted/messed up, but a really great, slightly anarchistic Japanese fantasy series about a medicine seller who travels around defeating mononoke. For the full experience, you'll also need the last few episodes of the series "Ayakashi", where the Medicine Seller's story began. Each story lasts between 2 and 4 episodes and reveals the mystery behind why the mononoke came to be and what it wants.

If you're open to mahou shoujo, not nearly enough people have seen "Princess Tutu". It's a story that at first glance seems to be a standard shoujo romance with ballet scenes and some business about the main heroine turning into a duck. Quickly turns into a twisted fairytale that takes heavy inspiration from famous ballets. Also: cat dance instructor.

Attached: 1196486200150.jpg (1008x403, 92K)

accept no substitutes

Attached: rance.png (554x700, 835K)

One of my first anime experiences was from a "friend" on the internet who sent me a couple of VHS tapes. She was in her 30s and I was (17?), and apparently she did fan dubs. Along with a few episodes of Slayers and Key the Metal Idol, she also sent along the movie Wicked City.

She did not warn me about Wicked City, so I honestly assumed that when a sex scene started happening, that it was just going to cut to the next scene. My parents had walked in and I nervously was like, "I'm sure it's not going to -" and then it got super raunchy and I was horrified and did a dive for the VCR to stop the tape. My parents just sort of looked at each other and left without a word.

I honestly think she was setting me up for exactly that situation since she was panting after my boyfriend at the time... Who was about 2 years *younger* than me and about a year later tried some shit with him when she visited the same city.

Fucking pedos, man.

>MFW this thread is 10x better than what /a/ came up with.
>tg
>Idontevenneedtheotherboardsanymore.jpg

Attached: just wow.jpg (468x462, 163K)

both of these are excellent recommendations
good taste, user

I really want to sympathize there but undue attention from considerably older members of the opposite gender is among the rare few childhood memories I actually remember fondly.
Together with undue attention from same-age members of the same gender.

That's because if you browse /a/, you probably know a bunch of sites that have features designed to give recommendations based on anime you watch. You can easily just search up fantasy anime, or look through the recommendations list on MAL to find anime you recommend.

If you want recommendations on /a/, you want to make it into a discussion, not "feed me recommendations". Ask something like "What's the pinnacle of fantasy anime?" or "Is Made in Abyss the best fantasy anime ever?" Those sorts of questions generate discussion. Asking for content while contributing nothing of your own is just being a leech and any normal recommendations you want are easily found through a quick google search.

On Veeky Forums, it's assumed that the posters have less exposure to anime, so you can get away with giving easy recommendations, like Overlord or KonoSuba. On /a/ it's assumed that you have a certain amount of prerequisite knowledge and have already heard of those anime, because they get threads all the time. Generally any anime/manga recommended on Veeky Forums has been discussed to the death on /a/.

It really isn't. It's just entry level recs for fantasy anime you'd probably already know if you were into anime anyway.
Which is totally fine for a board that isn't about anime.

I've never seen the anime or read the manga, but just by looking at the map it's pretty obviously the mouth of some eldritch abomination.

Right back at you! It's rare for me to talk to someone who's even heard of one of them, much less watched both.

Hey - to each their own. My ex didn't seem pleased about it when he told me the story several years later, but since she apparently went a bit yandere on him and was starting to ask for commitment within an hour of their meeting IRL and the bastard was allergic to that, it was probably related to that.

no one knows. Given how delvers are "allowed" to travel down at ease, but going up gets harder the deeper you go, people threat it as a vagina analogy. Like, delvers are spermatozoids and when someone reaches the bottom something is going to happen. probably something not very good. But it's just a theory. There are many, and no clear answer has been given so far.
it's obviously not. Among the least supported theories among the fans.

Attached: lyza and ozen.jpg (600x1142, 95K)

>That's because if you browse /a/, you probably know a bunch of sites that have features designed to give recommendations based on anime you watch. You can easily just search up fantasy anime, or look through the recommendations list on MAL to find anime you recommend.
This. It's like making a Veeky Forums thread saying "Recommend me a TTRPG that's like an anime". You'd probably get a lot of
>fuckin weebs
>GURPS
while doing the same thing on /a/ would net you some decent entry-level suggestions anyone from Veeky Forums would have already heard of/have opinions of, like dnd 4e, or Kamigakari

The "board about X is the worst place to discuss X" meme is really due to most people on those boards have spent so much time discussing X that they don't want to anymore.

Chaika is worth checking out. It's a fairly recent show that kind of has the feel of a 90s fantasy anime. It hits a really good comedy/drama balance. Safest bet I can think of.

Dungeon Meshi is great read. It's born out of a very genuine enthusiasm for western fantasy. Ryoko Kui's other stuff is worth checking out as well if you can find it.

>Not bad, but it's got that 90's animation going.
You're crazy. Lodoss is gorgeous.

Attached: 18.jpg (869x1231, 119K)

So what's the best place to:

>watch anime online?
>read manga online?

Attached: question.jpg (620x451, 58K)

>>read manga online?

Attached: Knowledge (Forbidden Lore).jpg (500x500, 81K)