How do you create a villain that your players absolutely despise

How do you create a villain that your players absolutely despise

Attached: Qu.jpg (620x877, 345K)

I cant remember those aliens names but I wonder how well they would do in 40k

Make them feel the villain's influence in something small — their ability to rest, purchase things, communicate, reside peacefully.

Unironically have them steal the players' loot. Nothing I've ever scene works so consistently as taking what they regard as their's. Players can get scarily spiteful about it.

The Qu. It's in the fucking filename. They probably wouldn't do that well, to be honest.

Weren’t the evolved humans they fought at that point pretty strong? Then again I think they wound up beating the Qu at some point millions of years later so I guess you’re right

From your own pic, I think it would be simple: make the entire human race job to them.

>beating them
According to the book they extracted a revenge on the qu bad enough that the author didn't want to go into it.

Humanity's first encounter with the Qu was pretty much a curbstomp on various disjointed human colonies, with some putting up marginally more resistance than others. The coalition that eventually genocided the Qu were I think the evolved human lineages that came together millions of years afterwards, but I can't remember if that's pre or post Gravital war. "Humanity" after the Gravitals were some seriously silly shit, and eventually made contact with an extragalactic species (the weird snake things).

After the Gravital war was when post-humanity conquered the Qu. And the coalition that defeated thee Qu included at least one race evolved from the Machine People, who were themselves evolved/bred from Gravitals after they were defeated by the Asteromorphs.
And I don't know if post-humanity took revenge on the Qu, or if the ultimate fate of the Qu was simply not relevant to the narrator.

Did OP answer his own question?

I think he did.

REMOVE QU

Attached: All Tomorrows.pdf (PDF, 3.74M)

Going back to the text, it was apparently after contact with the extragalactic snake dudes when the unified groups "reencountered and subdued the Qu." Sort of ambiguous, but I assume they gave them a good thrashing.

Reading that was pure catharsis. God damn I love a happy ending.

make them encounter it early on and do something nasty to them. Defeat them (a not-imortant/plot-device fight, they were destinied to lose no matter what), steal their shit, break something important, etc.

That's even more of a throwaway than the single paragraph we got describing the race that destroyed the original Star People empire in the first place.

It's a throwaway yes. But just knowing humanity got it's revenge on the qu was payoff enough after all that suffering

I don't stat the villain and don't let them beat him but then teleport them away to avoid TPK.
They've been trying to beat this guy for 10 years now, it's pretty great because the only reason they haven't ditched the campaign is because they're all a bunch of betas that want to get laid.

> the only reason they haven't ditched the campaign is because they're all a bunch of betas that want to get laid.

I'm sorry what? You need to elaborate

A villain that is a sort of corrupt white collar politician like.
No body likes politicians right?

Honestly it being a small part of the conclusion was alright with me. Better than some sort of further escalation after the Gravital war, it shows that the Qu had become irrelevant and were subject to powers that had rendered them an insignifiant threat.

Attached: 1515040673140.jpg (2600x2000, 2.86M)

Have him NTR a PC with his love interest, then make him sympathetic. Ever play Bahamut Lagoon? That game filled my heart with hate.

Came here to post this. Absolutely nothing will make players hate a character more.

Make them incredibly handsome and extremely inoffensive

Depends on the group I'm playing with. The best way to make a villain they despise is to have him, in some way, challenge their beliefs; e.g., I once ran a campaign basically emulating the ideas of the Republic. I ran it with two hard-core "Democracy is always right" types. They enjoyed it, but spent the entire time pissed off.

Come on now son

Attached: Steven_Armstrong.jpg (865x760, 48K)

With my players, the answer has turned out to be to give them what at first glance is a reasonable, justified motivation for their actions in universe. Like revenge for a previous invasion or an act of necessity due to a shortage of resources. And then, after the players have had a chance to get comfortable with that explanation and come to think of the bad guys as a reasonable sort of evil, reveal an action on behalf of the enemy leadership that was totally unnecessary and clearly done for no other reason than the sake of cruelty.

If you START your bad guys off at baby-eating doomsday cult, there is no place to escalate. The players write them off as evil that must be stopped and never have to consider them again. But if you make them believe that the enemy might be reasoned with and then showcase them burning a villages children alive in the town square to punish a people that were never any imaginable threat to them? That flips a switch in my plays that takes them from "These guys are people we fight now and then" to "These people need to be stopped. We have to stop them."

Take their stuff.

Have the villain take some form of mildly useful loot from them. Watch as they burn down civilization and chase him to the ends of the Earth to get it back

Make the villain force the players into something they do not want to do. Make it impossible for them to escape this situation, unless they play along. After the villain got what he wanted, just let them go and ignore them. He should not try to punish them more or get rid of them. Just throw them away, because their usefulness is exhausted. They are not important or dangerous enough to be worth the hassle.

After that, just continue your campaign with something completely different and do not mention the villain again.

You will see, the players will hate him and will try to fuck him up. Nothing pisses players of more than being used like a tool and then being ignored as if they are some nobody.

When they go after him, make it hard. Make them fail a few times. When they finally get to him, they will enjoy that victory more than all these "stop the world destroyer plots", because personal revenge is the sweetest reward.

Make him be a traitor. The more you trusted him, the more you will hate him.

He's just a business man, he doesn't see them as any real threat but does little things to undermine their progress until they can't stand it anymore. Also, have them constantly stopped from finally reaching him multiple times. Nothing makes players hate a villain more than getting blue-balled of their chance to take him out.

more of like in the grand scheme of things even the Qu aren't that important, just Nemo trying to be edgier (not that All Tomorrows wasn't great)

1: Fuck the Qu
2: Shane the Shy.jpg

Take their stuff and always get away. Alternatively, have eveeything revolve around cockblocking an elf, when you peel all the layers down.

You can't say that and then not elaborate.

Half-Life 2, right at the start.

“Pick up the can.”

Yeah, it seems to me the Qu went from outside context problem to a minor nuisance that needed straightening out to be productive members of society.

Every villain should aspire to be more like Armstrong.

Make them competent and willing to seek and stomp out even the smallest threats to their intentions.

> Shane the Shy.

How do you pronounce Qu anyway?
>Koo
>Kwoo
>Kwuh
>BLARGNEHISJ
>?

I played without subtitles the first time, so I had no idea what the metrocop was asking. My introduction to the oppression of the combine was being chased around a train station like Benny Hill for about 10 minutes.

This

campaign I played a while back every bad thing that ever happened to the party and every bad thing that ever happened in the world was carried out by a PC in the past, he manipulated kings, demons, gods and even taught vecna how to read arcana and demonic scripts.
( The campaign was a sorta homebrew )

His reason for bringing so much pain?

1. Party betrayed him by trapping him in an object ( an indestructible sword )
2. Letting him get stolen by a mindflayer ( mindflayer warps his mind a little bit making him a little crueler )
3. Mindflayer uses him to kill a bunch of NPCs he loves ( family members and a few adventurers guild members )
4. The party is actually horrible to the character, so the satisfaction of just knowing he's the cause of their suffering is pay back enough.

The big reveal was glorious. The world was brought to it's knees by a tree and a possessed sword.

Ghoo or Choo, obviously

The Qu believed it was their God given right to remake the universe as they saw fit and that the Qu form was the perfect form.

This is how I like to believe shit went down.

Astromorph Gods take many of the Qu alive, their leaders in particular. The leaders and those who were in a position of authority they imprison in bodies like the Machine Humans but with no ability to actually effect the world, uploading into pure electronic form as needed to prevent mortality. They get to watch and suffer.

The young and those few that survived and surrendered are then remade. They are made docile, friendly, declawed and slightly stupider. They make great pets for astromoph children and servants for the lesser races. They are taught nothing of Qu culture or how they were once anything great. They are redesigned over the eons to serve and be happiest whilst serving, humble and meek.

And for thousands even millions of years the old Qu get to watch as all that they have made is torn down and paved over, every last trace that they ever were expunged even going so far as to dig up and replace bedrock (with counterfeit fossils because why not). Astromorphs were the one breed of humanity that they didn't make and they unmake all that they ever were. By the time that they are complete nobody bar deep historians even remembers the name Qu.

Bu the old Qu get to watch forever, unable to die potentially for millions more years.

The Astromorph Gods were super human in mind if not body. And although they had super human patience and capacity for kindness once that patience was exhausted and kindness spent they could be super humanly cruel.

Make them cowards and make them do something awful in both effect and how patheticly cruel it is.

Instantly effective combo.

The villain my players despite the most is a guy that's untouchable because of his authority, and they have yet to succeed on getting any evidence of his wrongdoings.
He's very high ranking in a military/religious order, and a superior of one of the PCs. When the players tried to accuse him but all evidence they brought was easily disputed, he bitchslapped a PC for disrespecting him and walked away.

And because he knows they know but can't do a thing, he often smiles with an air of superiority when they see him. The fact that he never sends anyone to try to silence the PCs also bothers them a lot, but that's because he's just so confident in his invulnerability that he doesn't think of them as a threat.

>was easily disputed
disproved* ffs

Raped and murdered a beautiful Priestess of Light, then threw her body into the ocean.

To be fair, he was possessed by sentient demonic swords, but still.

One of my GMs did something similar. The villain was the CEO of a multinational company, and the police were more than willing to arrest us if we tried to move against him without evidence of his wrongdoings.

It also helped that he was an arrogant sniveling manchild with a really obnoxious voice and laugh.

1. Have him fuck with them at every turn.
2. Make him very difficult to strike back at.
3. Make it clear that he doesnt give half a shit about them.

Just have them be dicks who show up at the worst possible moment, call the player characters a bunch of faggots while fighting them, and then withdraw before the players get to finish them off. Pull that shit two or three times in a row and I guarantee your players will put the dickass villain higher on their kill-list than the BBEG wizard who's about to summon a demon that will eat the world.

Clearly user is a hot grill

Attached: 1518540576586.png (1185x2294, 477K)

Have him steal the parties loot.

Make them white

Have him humiliate them in some way.

Player punch.

Figure out what your players care about. Have the villain affect that. Creep them out, kill people they like (USE THIS SPARINGLY; if you kill everyone they like, they won't get attached to anyone), threaten towns, steal loot, maim them, cost them money, etc.

Make a self-insert GMPC who stays with the party for like 2 sessions and then fucks off with really good loot.

Came here to post this

REMOVE QU