How do you run a sci-fi game so it doesn't just feel like D&D in space but still manages to be exciting?

How do you run a sci-fi game so it doesn't just feel like D&D in space but still manages to be exciting?

Attached: 250px-Battlefield_earth_screencap.jpg (250x185, 19K)

Intersperse objectives that can only be solved by logic, science, or sci-fi skills (such as computer hacking, piloting a vessel, etc), along with missions more directly combat related. Have an ongoing backdrop plot of politics and society alongside the more specific and immediate plot of the characters being played, also put in a few missions that net a really high exp reward if they are resolved only through dialog, making sure that this is possible for that objective. Here are a few fun thoughts I had while I was answering you.

HAL-9000 overlords it over a primitive race that is roughly Neolithic, in an ancient world of castles, mazes, & obstacles that was once used as the set for a game show similar to American Gladiator.

A ship that is on a collision course with a planet is carrying D-7, a world destroyer class defoliant weapon, if it hits, a preserve-zoo world will be utterly destroyed.

A highly exotic race that lives only in polar seabed regions, known previously only from fossils, is invading the galaxy. They are unstoppable without the players involvement.

A race of huge, very complex robots is invading the galaxy from the past, they were sent by a time traveling human from the extremely distant future, & are that person's servants, obeying his or her every command.

Someone thought long dead is found alive on a world inhabited by very powerful energy beings, this person is crucial to the overarching storyline in some way.

A recursive world, in which the same day happens repeatedly, & from which leaving is impossible for the moment, is the major setting of the storyline, time resetting at a certain hour of early-night. The players are menaced by an insane human astronaut named George, a ruthless android crewman named Singh, & the dark side of one of the player's minds, which takes the shape of a large insatiably savage humanoid monster. A damaged time machine is the cause of the issue, it simply needs to be found & shut down.

Maybe its a system thing. I've never played one that felt like D&D in space. Closest was maybe Paranoia

...don't play D&D?

3:16 Carnage, Coriolis, Eclipse Phase, Blue Planet, SLA, Heavy Gear/Jovian Chronicles, Battletech RPG, that Barbarians of Lemuria in space game I forget what its called, Uncharted Worlds, 40krpgs. I'm sure there's more.

Play a game that's not based on the absolute dumpster-fire that is D20. Beleive it or not, games DO exist that aren't derivatives of Dungeons and Dissapointments.

How is D&D exciting?

This.

Also Halo Mythic and Star Wars FFG are both pretty serviceable if you strip away the setting fluff and just use the raw mechanics.

But I like D&D, I’ve had a lot of fun playing it.

Cool, next time maybe don't start your topic off with "How do I not play DnD?" when all you want is DnD.

Attached: and then I actually thought about it.gif (448x352, 2.2M)

I ain’t OP ya mank.

Stars Without Number, Dragonstar, Starfinder if you really have to then.

What are the qualities you associate with D&D that you don't want to re-appear? Be a little more specific.

>Starfinder
OP said he wanted something that DIDN'T feel like DnD.

This. "Not Like DnD" is a little vague. I think I know what you mean, but I'd hate to give eight paragraphs of the wrong advice.

Not OP, but you're doing god's work.

Well, the sci-fi game I'm prepping is being ran in Battle Century G. Humans control the Earth, the Moon and have 10 space colonies in Earth's Lagrange Points while the aliens, the Zaen'Ira, have 30 colonies and tend to stick to themselves by staying out past the asteroid belt. At the start of the game Humanity has fallen into a fuck-huge civil war between the newly formed Union State of Earth and a number of the colonies who got a jump on tech indirectly from the Zaen'Ira and made mecha but the USE is fast on their tail at the end of the colonials.

I'm cribbing a fuck ton from Gundam and a few other sci-fi series for it.

Attached: 6445_59139a91a16c9b09a388091bdfe639de.jpg (733x600, 77K)

Attached: large.ONealCylinder.jpg.1b2ca5be68e685574f790bf373a6158e.jpg (546x404, 49K)

>the bulges

Attached: mf_15429te.jpg (800x523, 174K)

No tech magic. Supertech is indistinguishable from magic.

Wasn't responding to OP.

Phoenix Command
Alien Rpg

You only play DnD if it isn't a better game around.

Not like OP’s pic.

Ever.