Would healing magic/healing potions negate stuff like chronic pains or period pains?

Would healing magic/healing potions negate stuff like chronic pains or period pains?
One of my players, who is really into her RP, asked this last session and frankly i was stumped. Luckily it was at the end of the session so i told her i'd look it up for next session.

Attached: GreaterHealthPotion.jpg (1280x720, 58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hereditär_sensorisk_och_autonom_neuropati_typ_V
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'd rule it would for a period of time, but unless you healed the source, the pain would return.

Depends on setting.

There's nothing saying that healing potions aren't painful to begin with. I could imagine your wounds closing rapidly could feel all sorts of painful.

For pain relief, you are probably better (and cheaper) off if you just used something dedicated to that purpose, instead of an ill-defined potion that is primarily a mechanical conceit so you can keep the adventure going without needing weeks to rest between every fight where the fighter gets stabbed even once.

Not sure healing potions would do the trick. Mostly because healing potions usually aren't depicted as erasing old scars crippling injuries. And period pains aren't really from anything most would classify as an injury. That said you probably could cook up some sort of low level magic for that sort of thing. I mean most systems have spell specifically for inflicting just pain so it's easy to imagine a spell for blocking pain. Also some variant of Restoration could probably eliminate the cause of some forms of chronic pain.

Idk how it actually is but I would make it metal as fuck where potions and magic can cure and seal up your wounds but the pain is still there

You know how your wounds still hurt while they are healing? Not as hard as we got it, but just smarts a bit.

Now imagine all that hurt packed into the few seconds the healing magic fuses your wounds closed and your bones set back in place.

DnD 5e: The Phantom Pain
....I like it

>Would healing magic/healing potions negate stuff like chronic pains or period pains?

A healing potion can't fix what isn't broken.
If your body is hurting because it's poorly designed, breaking down, or doing something that comes naturally to it and you're just suffering the consequences of nature's lowest-bidder construction a healing potion can't do anything to help you.
If you rule in favor of such details then healing potions could start having unexpected or dangerous results that would eliminate any convenience they had: certain people would have terrible allergic reactions, others would have complete autoimmune attacks, god forbid a pregnant woman quaff one as her body would most likely reject and destroy it in a disturbing and fantastical fashion.

A healing potion fixes 'wounds'.
That isn't to say you can't fluff in some more 'aggressive' healing potions- life isn't without it's daring or unethical chemists after all.....
THOUGH, for what it's worth: healing potions would dramatically accelerate your ability to grow muscle since it's just a matter of tearing and growing it back stronger- you could theoretically work out like a mad man, quaff a potion, and your arms would feel like new again- only better. Think how Goku nearly killed himself training then ate a sensu bean for massive immediate gains.

What exactly increases a person's pain threshold? Learning to block out a certain feeling? Just getting used to the pain to the point where you'd only notice it if it was gone?

Because from what I can see constant use of healing magic that doesn't negate pain would likely result in people with some fucked up senses. Like, I can't feel my fingers break when I punch steel walls, fucked.

Being a ginger does.

Go by what the spell and potion actually say.

period pains are cramps healing potions ain't fixing cramps you gotta sleep spell that uterus calm it the fuck down tell it to chill cone of cold that cunt.

Different user. Just general experience with pain and doing things that increase mental toughness and focus raise your pain threshold. As for getting used to something it almost always is just you getting used to that particular ache not every ache of a similar level though that can benefit the previously mentioned categories.
As for the "I can't feel my hands break". Just because you can't feel pain or most sensation in your hand doesn't mean you can't tell when something breaks it just doesn't hurt. It stops moving properly and there's a distinct grinding sensation.

That settles it. This is definitely how I’m running magical healing. Metal as fuck, but not edgy? Sign me up

Apparently there's a rare disease that can only be found in one small village a bit north of where i live that makes people completely unable to feel physical pain.
It's called "Norrbottnian congenital insensitivity to pain" or "Vittangi-disease". Currently there are 47 people that's at risk and 20 of people suffering from it, with a 100% reduction of pain.

Swedish wikipedia page about it.
sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hereditär_sensorisk_och_autonom_neuropati_typ_V

I dont know, healing potions are derrived from alchemy or divine magic, are they not? I imagine they either numb the area they heal or maybe give a pleasant warm feeling, not necesarrily hurt. But thats just my five cents

this is pretty much how our group handles healing from transmutative sources (like potions)
I'd imagine divine healing has a certain prickling sensation to it, while necromantic healing has a very addictive empowering feeling to it

why shouldn't a magical healing potion heal the source of the problem? what gives?

My magical elixir cure all ills. With death.

No, but there are numerous lesser spells, poultices, droughts and other minor things that will.

Attached: pei_zin_herbalist_by_alradeck-d7lv44f.jpg (800x801, 387K)

If we're talking D&D, potions of healing cure wounds but not diseases or poisons. So it'll act as a painkiller, but it won't actually get rid of your ulcer or period.

I swore there was an episode of House that involved this disease or some similar condition. Basically the episode revolved around a teenage girl who could feel nothing; no pain, touch, or other physical stimuli. She was able to mask the condition with a lot of careful self-checks and her mom making sure the kid didn't die while still in diapers.

I think it ended up being some other disease was causing her problems, and the episode ended with her being cured of the main thing killing but still unable to feel anything physically.

Ulcers are considered chronic wounds though.