I've never played Warhammer 40k (or any Warhammer tabletop game for that matter). Convince me why I should play it

I've never played Warhammer 40k (or any Warhammer tabletop game for that matter). Convince me why I should play it

Attached: 1519971232931.jpg (640x640, 47K)

Don't. We don't want you to.

You shouldnt, it's shit and you can play with paper tokens.

You should only buy a 40k product if you want it as a toy or collectable.

"convince me why i should play it" fuck off cunt

Don't play it just read it's campy lore so you understand it's shitty memes

Attached: 1512908968844.jpg (800x1000, 62K)

Play Dawn of War and call it a day. Tabletop is shit.

Go ask for an army or rent it out at a local store for a game if you really want to play, or just watch good YouTube battle reports

its up to you whether or not you want to play it, but it's got a few solid advantages

1) It's everywhere.

2 )It's a multidimensional hobby (lore, strategy, assembly, painting)

3)It has a competitive scene

>Watch battle reports to pretend you're getting the experience of a game
Lets be real user. This is a few steps removed from even watching somebody play a videogane abd feeling like you'd done it yourself.

>40k
>Strategy

Literally just shove units against eachother to kill eachother out the game.

It's a little more complex than that lol

I've never honestly seen any tactic other than pit X unit against Y, advance and whipe the others out until you win.

All tactics can be oversimplified into that, even in real life. Half the battle is trying to build a competent list at home, most of the time you'll have no idea what armies you're going to be going up against.

Come on, user, some games require much more planning and strategy than 40k. In 40k you build a list and other than objectives you try to kill X unit with Y unit that you know is good against X, then roll dice and hope for the best.

invest in xwing or legion, hell for the price of one 40k army you can probably get a xwing and legion army

Reasons to play 40k
>Some of the models are lots of fun to paint
>You can normally find a game if you look for it
>Lots of factions to choose from, even if 1/3 of them are Marines
>Lore ranges from ultra gritty grimdark derp to campy parody with everything in between somewhere; like most big, long running franchises theres some shit in there but also some good stuff
>current edition isn't perfect but better balanced than its been in a long time

For real though the answer is, if there is a faction you like a lot then go for it, if you gotta force yourself don't bother

Don't. Play a cheaper and better game.

Like Star Wars? Legion is coming out soon and will run you a fraction of what a 40k army would.

Like spaceships? There's the prepainted Star Wars X-Wing (decent) and Armada (good) games. (And I think Firestorm Armada is getting a reboot soon, isn't it?)

Like tactical operators operating operationally? Infinity is that in every way except innacity instead of innawoods.

Like running a band of soldiers and the stories they accumulate as they gain weapons, abilities, or wounds? There's Frostgrave, and not to mention a dozen other games.

Like... uh... I'll be honest, I've never understood the appeal of Warmachine, but it also exists.

Attached: hqdefault (1).jpg (480x360, 10K)

it's not really mutually exclusive. play them all if you want.

If your good at painting miniatures go ahead. If not fuck off back to video games.

not the other user but seriously doesnt placement matter when it comes to playing? I mean you use a very basic idea of tactics by how you position your dudes

>tactics
>strategy
You roll the dice aaaand it's gone.

Ok, then other than placement (deployment) and capturing objectives (minimal movement since the board is so small), games of 40k basically consist of shooting each other out rolling dice until one or the other randomly loses.

There is very little in the way of overcoming random dice rolls regardless of faction or unit.

Check out Richie Rich over here.

40k is probably in the middle of the pack in terms of tactical engagement

Building your army, knowing its durability and killing power as well as that of your opponent (is it worth throwing your Ork boys at those berserkers, etc) is the biggest parts, but movement options (transports, deep striking, foot slogging) leveraging buffs and debuffs, consolidating and falling back, as well as whatever victory conditions the mission you're playing has.

Most of these individual elements are pretty simple though (the classic buff being rerolling 1s to hit, or the average mission being "hold X locations on the map").

I think his point was "once you've checked out these cheaper and better games you can reconsider getting into Warhammer"
it makes sense.

If you do want to start buy a small set and see if you enjoy the modeling/painting aspect of the hobby

If you don't then don't bother, since actually building your army is like 60% of the hobby.

>Convince me why I should play it
Nah, it's loads more fun when you discover it for yourself through whatever means (TTS series, lore forums, Dawn of War series, tabletop with friends etc)

Attached: t6oCXhE.jpg (600x900, 105K)

My advice is to buy some cheap units off ebay and proxies and use other rulesets.

You have too much money.

Play the video games if you have no friends who play IRL or have little to no cash.

You shouldn't, it's shit.

40k is shit.
The fans of 40k are shit.
The rules are shit.
The concept behind it is shit. You're a grown man playing with action figures wtf.
They have no quality writers, artists, or game devs.
Everything about Warhmmer 40k is awful and anybody who likes it unironically is a retard.
There is a high chance of crossover between MLP and Warhmmaer 40k.

Attached: 40K IS BAD.png (1548x913, 14K)

>a grown man playing with action figures wtf.

Pic related, the guy who started the hobby of wargaming in a civilian sense.

Attached: 2017-02-19-little-wars-1.jpg (500x351, 211K)

Attached: 1482850689758.png (345x223, 99K)

While what you are saying is right. His initial point of tabletop being shit is right. What makes it fun is painting and talking to the opponent. If you are not the kind of guy who likes that and just want a vidya, just play vidya.

Except the same people tend to win tournaments over and over. Regardless of army or edition the people who are good at the game remain. The game has an element of chance to it but many other competitive games do as well.

Space Hulk, Necromunda, and Battlefleet Gothic are all better than the main WH40k game, and they also have PC games that represent them fairly well.

>Don't. Play a cheaper and better game.
...Brikwars...

Attached: 1890356_632146083525551_448764548_o.jpg (1600x681, 134K)

Do people play Brikwars?

I limited my suggestions to games I could walk into my FLGS and find a group for.