/bgg/ Boad Game General - norm couldn't save us edition

Last thread
Map
>zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#
Pastebin
>pastebin.com/3ZbrVRMu

Thread died, people must be doing more important things, like actually playing games for once. What's on your table right now /bgg/? And projects /DIY/ stuff you're doing on the side before your next game night?

Attached: 1520829414318.jpg (480x360, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/58018933/#q58062766
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

For once that photo made me laugh.

>What's on your table right now /bgg/?
Nothing at the moment. I got some good game time with my gf last weekend with Odin's Ravens, Jaipur, and Fairy Tale. I'm researching Spirit Island and TMNT Shadows of the Past to see if they'd be games I'd like if anyone has opinions on these I'd love to hear them

>And projects /DIY/ stuff you're doing on the side before your next game night?
I'd like to make some foam core inserts for some of my games but I haven't gotten around to it yet

Anybody able to recommend some physically very small games that are nonetheless interesting games of ~45-60 minutes?

Is such a thing even possible?

It plays in about half that time but Hive could be an option

I enjoy Tiny Epic Kingdoms, other Tiny Epic games likely fit the bill as well.

Pax renaissance

Attached: pic3264552.jpg (500x283, 31K)

On my table right now is a desktop computer, a ham sandwich, a banana peel and a large glass of cold coffee with cream. I have Star Realms around somewhere.

I found some hexagonal stone bathroom tiles in a store and I plan to turn them into an ultra deluxe Hive set.

Play For Sale twice, or with slow people maybe? If you want really small, get Coin Age and play it a 4-6 times

Modge Podge comes in matte finish and glossy

It's exactly what you need.

I coated the corners of my super-cheap cardboard coins in Nefarious and they came out great. I was sloppy and got modge podge on some of the faces and you can feel it and see the difference in finish in the right light. I should have/should just paint all the faces and backs so it's universal.

That aside the edges got darker and solid and the coins wound up feeling like three grades better of cardboard. Personally I wouldn't do coins from other games just to protect them, but the Nef. coins were already feathering just from popping them out and just felt like super low grade cardboard shit.

For facing wood you can use it as an adhesive and protective coat almost like you're doing paper-mache. I've done the tissue on glass thing recently too, it works well.

The only codicil is it's not 100% waterproof, but it's probably enough to save you from a coke spill for half a minute while you scream and fish out the pieces.

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/58018933/#q58062766

Attached: glue.jpg (3778x2644, 3.08M)

>On my table
Xwing and Carcassonne
>Projects
Still working on that construction company game I'm designing. Coming along nicely but I need play testers.

Meant to answer this too; haven't used the mod podge but have done a bunch of counters to test Krylon matte finish. It works, they seem sealed, no real difference in texture/feel, but spraying them was kind of a bitch. You had to do a few counters, then move them to a fresh surface (I use USPS flat rate boxes for spraying) otherwise they'd stick on the edge, no peeling when it did happen, but still annoying.

maybe there is a FLGS you could find players at. Is there anything around? I mean you could tell them about your place while you're there LOL

Attached: ramona flowers.png (432x1152, 232K)

>Is there anything around?
>not checking the namefag
Really?

Attached: symbol of immortal evil.png (319x478, 140K)

put them on something

sticky tack (temporary poster tack) is best so they don't fly away when you spray (motherfukcing hate that) or if they are heavy just a thin bit of cardboard smaller than the piece. You can set them all up and you don't have to move to save the edges.

A roll of dimes or thin washers works, I've also used inverted straight pins when I wanted to be lazy and get all the sides at once. If it's a bigger surface use 3x.

thats the joke
didja miss the spoiler bit

Attached: irony09.jpg (680x510, 66K)

It was small counters for SDE; anons were asking about whether anyone had done it and I had the game out painting it anyhow. I've never really had a game that NEEDED sprayed/sealed counters, but I've debated doing it for something like Carc which gets handled a bunch and played a lot since I loan my copy out.

>didja miss?
Yes, I'm not operating at peak today, as evidenced by the aborted previous thread where I forgot the entire OP, and the fucked up title in this one

Been playing Dinosaur Island a lot. I finally won once, a few days ago.
>And projects /DIY/ stuff you're doing on the side before your next game night?
Setting up an underground area for my RPG night. That stuff is what is literally on the table at moment.

>Odin's Ravens, Jaipur
We have both of these. Fun games!

filename gave me a hearty kek

What is a good boardgame to play with a 9year old boy?

Took me a while to find the stock image the bard used

Flash Point if he wants to be a fireman, Colt Express if he likes to pick fights, Can't Stop or KoT to chuck dice

Attached: adorable bunny.png (319x478, 141K)

That's carrying the whole 'realism' thing just a bit to far!

You damn kids! Git of my LAN!

>I'm not operating at peak today

I know dem feels - been getting my ass kicked by the flu for last week. So ready for this shit to be gone...

Post more anime and/or gay starting images next thread please, I'm starting to suffer from withdrawal.

It was going to be the muppets one, but I realized the thread died overnight because no Norm or Minifig. This helping you out?

Attached: triggering general.jpg (824x1200, 669K)

Flick em Up
King of Tokyo

who us

Attached: bbg like that.jpg (5800x4077, 1.65M)

Attached: holodeck.jpg (1436x1080, 305K)

So we played Millennium Blades last Friday, it was really awesome. All 3 of us are huge CCG fans, I personally have played Warlord, L5R, DBZ, Yugioh, MTG, Pokemon, etc.
There are two main phases, the first one being the deckbuilding phase, you have plenty of time to buy packs and get your collection, deck and binder going.
There are tons of options and the effects are real simple creating synergy with a lot of cards.
After the deckbuilding phase you have the tournament phase where you basically activate each card in order from left to right and apply whatever effects they have, such effects can be individual duels, scoring, flipping (to negate), ongoing, and so on.
The art has its charm, not great but not dog shit like Sentinels of the Multiverse.
10/10 would recommend it if you grew up with CCG's and want to try something different.

A buncha plants I move each boardgame night to make room for the game. Sadly I will not be playing boardgames tonight because it's bad movie night, my monthly party that overrides game tuesday games. Planning to play some Xia this weekend, and will probably sneak in some 7 Wonders Duel with my roommate some time this week.

Odin's Ravens and Jaipur are fucking amazing, I love them both.

How's dinosaur island?

Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures Game

Definitely a good option; HotAC goes over really well with kids especially.

I was more thinking about the Mario Kart variant but HotAC is an excellent choice too

>not checking his image before posting this nonsense
his pic related

>Hoth/Vanilla lake map still isn't finished
Thanks for the daily reminder it's been sitting on my pool table since October user

You got it, buddy. If I can't enjoy those maps, maybe you can if you ever finish them ;^)

It along with the torpedo tube holder are on my list of jobs that MUST be finished before I head down to WYC in 2 weeks (not that I'm getting either played while I'm down there, fuckwits put the convention on Easter weekend). Then it's on to the 3x6 maps for long track format. Or more Dawn Patrol maps for the brother, been thinking about a modular system with those doing 1.5' x 3' so you can put 4 together for a full encounter.
/bgg/ chart updates have fallen behind again, fucking taxes

> Boad Game General

Attached: 8fc58c4a44c403ebf1bc44cee9e10451.jpg (300x171, 14K)

Like I said, not at peak today; surprised it took someone so long to catch it.

Do you not play Boad or something?

I saw it from the get go, I just chose not to point it out.

Maybe OP has a cold

Crosseyed from working on taxes, and I don't delete old thread subjects from the field. Supposed to keep me from repeat editions, but I used the old fuckup from months ago as a template

What are some games that give me the choice of being a pirate while the rest of my group members presumably try to win through trading?

Have a question about Love Letter

Do I need to discard any cards for the 3 player game compared to 4 player one?

Attached: 1520465529774.jpg (3000x2000, 1.88M)

Nope, only thing that changes is the affection token victory number

Thanks

Merchants and Marauders
Xia: Legends of a Drift System

I was hoping there might be more as I couldn't decide between those two. Thank you though. Xia seems more interesting to me, but the larger cost and seemingly needing the currently out of stock expansion to be good is a bit off-putting.

Yeah, I was facing the same issue. Caved and went in on the reprint Kickstarter last month.
The Firefly game counts, but I can't in good faith recommend it as much as I'd like to, it's just too slow.

What makes the Firefly game slow?

So my incredibly slow group played it's first game of Twilight Imperium and it only took 14 hours (with a break for lunch) for a 4 person group.

>Only 14 hours

On the plus side things were really speeding up towards the end and miraculously everyone was super pumped through the whole game and are actually looking forward to playing again, so that's great.

Anyone have any tips for keeping things moving? I felt like pointing at people and telling them it was their turn was decent at keeping things going, but I don't want to come off like I'm bossing everyone around

Have a chart with the turn order so everyone can see it?

Turns can run long despite being relatively short on decisions to make, you mostly just spend a lot of time resolving a series of random events, and it leads to serious downtime with higher player counts. Honestly if the game were more interesting I'd probably forgive it, but the whole affair is just a little too random - and very uninteractive unless you're running one of the few PvP scenarios. And then it's just quite uninteractive.

Keeping the hammer down on whose turn it is - and whose turn it will be next, really is the biggest gas pedal for the game. Setting up some kind of physical initiative spinner type thing you can slap down one of everyone's ground forces on after the strategy phase can help make that a little easier.

I was thinking of getting base Xia and trying to fit in some of the expansion's rules before putting down money on the kickstarter.

Question of the day. Who here is thinking about backing the Batman kickstarter?
I'm super conflicted with it. I love Batman but this game looks dull and boring. I haven't played Conan so I have no idea how "good" the game is. I have money to spend at the moment but I would rather sit on it in case something bad happens.

Attached: 61Yobtd1YUL._SL1000_.jpg (1000x640, 70K)

Very dissapointed with Love Letter after an hour of so of plays. Seems that it has far too numerous "lol you're out" mechanics and a ridiculously low number of viable strategies compared to, say, Coup or Citadels or whatever.

These Pax games look really interesting, are they varied enough?

As a fan of love letter, there is a time and a group that can play it. Very random based on the card draws and very little that you can control. With the right group, the tension is kept where people enjoy the game because the round structure ensures you won't have a runaway leader unless the cards are very unkind and the winner comes down to a anybody can win.

Wrong group will get frustrated with the lack of control and the random guesses with guards.

I've had both experiences with the game and I feel like I've learned when and where the game is and isn't appropriate. I do find that it goes over better with people new to games and more frustrating with people who actually do know games fairly well. For example my dad loves poker, but hates love letter. Even though they both have deduction and bluffing (to a certain extent), the level of the two types of games are not a good match.

That reminds me that I should bring coup and try it out with my father, I think he would enjoy.

I have a general question though - what kinds of games (besides poker) can we bet real money with? Something small with pocket change, but not necessarily with a standard pack of cards.

>pointing at people and telling them it was their turn was decent at keeping things going

Played splendor with a guy who'd played it several times before. The other three of us figured out what we wanted to do and snapped out our turns, only rarely taking a minute to double check the board if someone reserved a card.

The guy was to my left and almost every turn he missed that I had gone. Problem was he also took his turns staring at the market, so it was impossible to tell if he was taking his turn or not. I must have said "user, it's your turn" more than two dozen times.

So he would go, ever so slowly counting his gems out or taking just as long to reserve a card and then P1, then P2, then me and it was back to...
>user, it's your turn.

I took to watching the clock, and I swear I watched at least a half hour disappear over several of his turns.

Also AT Love Letter shipped from upside down land that's going to be a long wait.

Attached: adventure time.gif (500x666, 650K)

>what kinds of games (besides poker) can we bet real money with?

I'm going to say everything ever except co-op, although I'm sure it's possible to put a spread on co-ops.

Why is this a thing? There are like 30 varieties of poker, you can bet on anything, penny-ante on boardgames is unfathomable to me.

But the tension often gets deflated straight away when someone guesses your card, which is pretty easy, or make you discard or whatever.

True, but because of the multiple round nature of the game, I find that you give as much as you get in terms of getting knocked out.

Something more than just "win this game and I'll take the pot of money". But I wasn't very clear or exactly understood what I'm looking for in the first place. The very short rounds of poker and the gradual increase of the pot are tied to the game mechanics.

I was thinking of something like five tribes, where we all have a certain amount of money to start and we slowly loose the coins, but gain the points in other ways. Then the game ends and each player gets money equal to the points they have.

Skulls n' Roses and Liar's Dice are great for betting

>betting games
Anything with short rounds/matches that has mid point "breaks". Especially if there is bluffing involved.

Fairy Tale
Wings of war
Citadels
Dixit (just change the points to coins)
Red dragon Inn

So today is DnD night at the store right. And there is a little fella here running his first DnD game for a few other kids. Like, they're all 9 or younger. He's describing his adventure and long story short they have gone underground in this major city and found another city. It's super advanced though, having magic screens that do typing, and scheduling, and such. Basically, he's made a mini shadowrun like world underneath the city and the kids are just so impressed with his imagination.

It's fucking precious.

>Then the game ends and each player gets money equal to the points they have.

>we'll just divide this pool of money instead of someone taking the pot

I mean the money has to come from somewhere, and you can't fold in Fairy Tale when someone puts down their 4th settler. If you tie it to victory points (or any points) you have to pay in somehow, and again you can't just get out when someone is running away with the point salad.

even trick taking games like diamonds or press your luck like that stupid indiana jones thing I can never remember the name of, you'd all have to put equal amounts in in place of the dosh, and then divide what is left over. it's almost the same thing as everyone putting in a dollar, the winner gettting 3 and 2nd place getting their dollar back, just more incremental.

honestly I think the whole thing is fucking stupid, I don't care how you put in and get out the money. if you want poker, play fucking poker like four forty-four, spit in the ocean and night baseball. If you want a board game play a board game. If it's not intense enough with cash on the line you're either playing a shit game or you have a problem.

It's like saying, "lets play monopoly with real money" it's stupid and worse not like poker at all. I think your only option is to reskin poker- aka literally make a game with this mechanic (short rounds, bet ins, pay to stay) if that's what you really want in a game, as opposed to just fleecing niggers for their burgers over Ticket-to-Ride.

It's a ccg about.... Playing a ccg? No thank you. MTG is shitty enough.

No it's a board game about playing a CCG

That's fucking awesome, man. Glad you've got people coming in.

it's a board game about CCG with something like expansion packs that purposefully resemble CCG booster packs

don't feel bad, some people just cannot into meta

Single cards within the game purposefully look like booster packs user

thanks a lot buddy I guess I'll test it and report back

normally I wouldn't bother protecting tokens either but my stuff for catacombs gets slide around so much it's taking a beating, and same with my HoN stuff, everything gets flipped so often the sides fray a lil

Yeah I think unless you're storeanon you don't really need to bother with it; he however needs to invest in a LOT of spray varnish for boards and every game with tiles he's got. Probably also a painters mask too

It's true.
People are fucking pigs man. Like, some of these people don't even get any food but their hands are permanently slick with human oils.

>be playing a card-drafting game
>get cards so warm and moist from my right that I can tell when a hand comes all the way around the table from the left from the same person

seriously it was a little creepy

Is Calandale the most comfy reviewer? I actually get annoyed at how slow he talks but if I want something on for background noise his videos are great and he seems mad chill irl.

how could you know there aren't more than 2 people with that problem in a drafting game of 5+?

Because I knew the other 3 players from multiple sessions AND I rather enjoyed the subtle look of horror and disgust on their faces as the hands went around the other way. That kind of "uh, eww are you feeling thi... ah nothing nevermind" look.

I'm actually kinda bummed she hasn't been back.

To elaborate on what's mentioned in A big part of the Firefly game is flying to different solar systems to do jobs. Haul cargo from A to B, bring passengers from C to D, etc.

The issue is the board is something like 13 sectors across by 8 tall, your ship can only move up to 5 sectors at a time*, and you can only move once per turn.

* - moving any faster than 1 square a turn means for every square moved you have to draw from a deck that includes random encounters/engine failures/etc. So it's actually fairly uncommon to get your full 5 movement without something forcing you to stop.

Further, of the 4 actions you can take on your turn, most of them are region specific: you can only shop at most locations while at that location. You can only work for chump change at planets.

Therefore, a series of bad pulls from the movement deck can force you to spend 3-4 turns struggling just to fly across the map, gaining absolutely nothing as you do so.

It "works" in that it causes a constant tension about flying around, fearing being caught or ambushed, but it also results in a lot of wasted time.

Some simple house-rules could fix the problem. (Off the top of my head, performing the "make-work" action in space gives you say, 1 cargo from mineral salvage, and something like "you do not draw from the deck on your first square of movement." (this at least guarantees you 2 movement out of spending the full to "full burn", even if something goes wrong, vs 1 square for meandering.)

I can tell you a bit about Conan, if you want.

It's in many ways a sort of packaged RPG experience, and my friends and I quite enjoy it.

In comparison to each other, or do you mean if they play differently each time?

I shouldn't say I wouldn't get a game that expensive. Too Many Bones won me over to the point of backing it at an absurd level, but my level of interest in what seems like really fun gameplay does not come close to reaching the $300+ price tag. I also highly question the value of all those characters in how much use they'll see across the scenarios, and I don't feel like homebrewing my own and hoping to have any level of balance.

So yeah, tempted by good gameplay, but not good enough and not really too invested in Bamham.

Attached: Friendly Local Game Store.webm (533x300, 2.77M)

I would love to hear about Conan, I feel like most of the reviews online sound like they only played a game or two then forgot about it.

Uh oh. I maybe should have been more precise in my wording.
"My friends and I quite ENJOYED it".

In that I don't actually own the game, but have played it a couple times while visiting my friend. He does quite enjoy it, though. I think we've played...3 scenarios? And I know for a fact he bought at least one of the expansions.

As you may have learned from the online reviews, there's a pretty broad...action economy, I suppose is the best phrase.

Everyone has these energy crystals that they spend to do things like move/attack/defend. The more dice you put into an action, the better you perform it, but character ability decides the quality of die you use, and the maximum you can invest in any action in a turn.

Further, you only regain so much energy every turn, meaning that a few turns of going all-out can leave you trapped doing nothing for a turn or two as you regain your strength.

The "overlord" (basically the DM) has a simlar pool, and his NPCs work much the same, though the "river" alters their costs. (basically a sort of initiative: once a creature acts, it goes to the end of the river...making it cost more to make it act again.)

>that last angle of the entire neatly laid out shop suddenly vanishing because one idiot couldn't drive

>play TI4
>you can buy ships with real money
>1$ for a dreadbought 5$ for a war sun etc
>winner takes it all
>watch everyone blowing their money on ships
>
>profit

Hahaha, I did not mean to put you on the spot Annon.
Hearing you played 3 scenarios and had fun is enough. I have been studying both games to see how the flow and weaknesses are, and I think I get it. But I'm worried that each scenario is only fun maybe 2 times before it gets old.

That may be a legit fear, especially depending on your group size.

Like, at a minimum, you can swap around what characters you bring on certain scenarios for some replay value, and the random chance of the dice means you're not guaranteed the same results, but I definitely see you concern.

I love how at the 10 second mark the vehicle has crashed through the store and by the 17 second mark there's a customer walking back to see what happened to the vehicle. Meanwhile the guy at the cash register has watched the whole event and is still sitting there and having not even apparently called 911. Derp!

>Anybody able to recommend some physically very small games that are nonetheless interesting games of ~45-60 minutes?
Define "very small".

That said, what you want is probably chess.

I played MTG since the dark. Glad I gave that shit show up desu

Haven't watched him but I like Starlit Citadel

Too Many Bones looked good to me, but then I remembered all post KS discussion on Hoplo, and reviews that came out 6-9 months later. Chip Theory does amazing production I want to like, but they remind me of the Sodapop guys; rulesets aren't quite there.

I have a question regarding Arboretum, since I printed it.

Do the cards need to be hidden, that is - do they need to have uniform backsides? How important is it not to know what the other person is holding?

Attached: 1520082456504.jpg (443x332, 72K)

>discworld : ankh morpork
>OOP:39€
>in stock! 339€
What the hell?

No vat i guess?

He said interesting user

What are good games under $20?

Sons of Anarchy

Citadels

Sushi go

Help with Arboretum scoring please

If I have the most (let's say) purple tree tally in my hand at the end of the game, do I score EVERY person's purple arboretum or only my own?