EDH/Commander general

No Fun Allowed edition

Previously: RESOURCES
>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread question
What's the meanest deck you've ever built?

Attached: 237.jpg (312x445, 61K)

>What's the meanest deck you've ever built?
mono green selvala turn 4 at the lastest every game, very boring, many tutors lots of ramp
did i mention very boring
cause it was
it was a little more fun in cEDH pods but seriously fuck that format i want to play planar dragons

Attached: Dragons sans archetypes.png (1538x872, 2.51M)

How was it boring? Isn't it just fatty beatdown? Legit question btw

Any special techs for this guy or can I just spam with cheap counters and removals and hope that my opponents will eventually kill themselves?

Attached: grand-arbiter-augustin-iv-34221-medium.jpg (277x401, 63K)

I don't think you understand how straight hair work.
Come back when you finish middle school.
Here we go again with the not so subtle attempt at making me post my dick hair.

>Thread question
My friends and I play a really, really odd variant on Planechase that we found out about through the guy who runs our LGS, and I built an Ugin deck that nuked my opponents' shit while my boardstate kept growing stronger.

The variant in question requires planeswalkers as commanders, before you all ask. It's a fun format, way different than what you'd expect.

Reposting in the new thread.

Mmh, apparently my LGS only plays 1v1 Commander with the MTGO banlist so theoretically I could play with Leovold as a Commander right? That'd be dope.

Attached: leo.jpg (750x450, 258K)

you generate a shitton of mana then draw your whole deck i even tried putting in wacky wincons like concordant crossroads + hydra omnivore but its just too cheap theres no game there when you are winning that fast

I think I've found a way to make bassandra, battle seraphim viable.

go on
her art is fucking fantastic id love an excuse to sleeve her up

>Put helm into Godo deck
>Win everything forever

Attached: helmofthehost.jpg (265x370, 37K)

its a dumb card
thanks wizards
is it going to ruin the format? probably not
is it going to feel like an un-card when it does get played? probably

Non-combo Girtog has a very "Kick 'em while they're down" dynamic with its massive value and stax pieces. It's certainly the deck that my group least likes to see; even if I don't stick the damn frog, it's a starvation simulator that, when it works, tends to allow the table just enough wiggle room to think they could get an out before missing a beat and falling into the permanent-sacrifice death spiral.

Sometimes they're right, and sometimes it doesn't really establish, because I've been pretty good at building to the level of the table, but when it goes it's downright cruel.

How do I protect my enchantments from blowing up or getting exiled? Mommy gets cross with me when it happens.

Attached: 1511612694660.jpg (1024x768, 68K)

Karmic Justice
Greater Auramancy

Sneak attack effects allow you to sneak a lethal combo into play during combat, when she prevents interaction.

Sounds fun to me.
Would you mind listing some staples before i head to edhrec?

Turns out having a 1 drop multicolor commander is great for stuff like Mox Amber and Bloomtender. Anybody have any sweet tech that isn't just normal elf/token cards?

Attached: 237.jpg (312x445, 64K)

Just run only the best ones like Luminarch Ascension and hold up cards like Boros Charm.

Is Negate a decent Counterspell to use until I can either save up for or trade for a Force of Will? I've already got some staple counters like the Mana Drain I pulled at Draft and a Pact of Negation I got in a trade recently. I don't want to use spell pierce cause it seems like it'd be shit in EDH.

yeah any undercosted creature is going to be your friend
Great Oak Guardian
Lupine Prototype
Phyrexian Dreadnought
Phyrexian Soulgorger
Ravaging Riftwurm
and my personal favorite Woodland Bellower

>Is Negate a decent Counterspell
yes its probably one of the top 5 strongest even in edh
i wouldnt cut it for force of will im sure theres another card you need less

Real talk, Negate is better than Force of Will. FOW is explicitly for formats where you need it to not die. If your meta isn't some crazy "kill the table ded in 3 turns", you don't need FoW.
If you're wondering, the best counterspell is Flusterstorm

Greater Auramancy, Karmic Justice, and to a lesser extent Martyr's Bond help, but the best defense is a good offense. Are you running a discard package? How about some stax pieces? Bitter Ordeal or Praetor's Grasp to pull that damn Tranquility/Aura Shards out of the deck? Most people don't run a lot of dedicated enchantment hate; at an average table you'll probably see a Merciless Eviction somewhere, an austere command, and a couple of spot answers that can hit multiple permanent types. Maybe a Nevinyrral's Disk or two if your table is oldschool. Some decks, most notably anything in the grixis spectrum, could have a real hard time dealing with your enchants, so play smart and know where the threat is, then take steps to neutralize it ahead of time.

>thread question
scorpion god
>game is slow and durdly, slowly giving everyone the stinger so everyone is afraid to attack everyone because I get to draw
>end the game with 376 bugs

>If you're wondering, the best counterspell is Flusterstorm
Explain. I thought it was only good against Storm decks.

Negate is honestly very good. I'd personally prefer Counterspell itself to put Derphoof in its place, but usually you want to counter two things
1) Combo pieces, when most combos have something that can be sniped by Negate (DEN-based endgames less so)
2) Anything that's going to fuck you up when you're on top, which would mostly be negate-counterable shit like board wipes.

see
On Iona with doubling.

It's at least a "Counter unless pay 2" for a single blue mana, which will usually land until the ultra-late game since most people are concerned with their curve, The more degenerate your opponent tries to be, the more Flusterstorm hoses them. It scales perfectly with the table.

Which Elspeth Is best for a token deck?

Rudy just uploaded a MM25 box opening. Just saying.

nope, force of will is probably the best counterspell in the game. even when you break the card down to its value, it holds up. if we assume a card is worth 2 mana (it's usually worth that much), FOW only costs 2 mana to cast, so it's about as efficient as a counterspell, except even better since you don't need to leave mana untapped to use it.

>MM25
It's not modern masters.

they got the little background graphic
>prices will skyrocket just for the little graphic in edh

You mean Misstep.

They're all pretty good in tokens, but I think I'm most partial to Sun's Champion. Spams the board the best and pays off almost as big as Knight Errant. Tirel isn't going to hang around as a PW, she's there for a quick bump-and-ult provided you can chump block for the turn it takes to fire her off.

Who cares? He's a grifter

I just want to play it in etali

Excuse me mr faggot.

Fuck off reddit

Thanks a lot dude, hope you have a good day

Currently brewing etali. How fun/consistant is she?

>implying people here actually like Rudy

Ah yes if I don't idolize your YouTube celebrity I must be from /pol/. Kill yourself faggot.

>Disliking investors makes you /pol/

Wow, butthurt much? You come on here to shill the most public asshole making a lot of fun cards harder to get for the rest of us and you think you're going to get a positive reaction? This is /edhg/, Magic Finance is down the road.

i like his channel
i also unironicly browse /pol/ though

My go-to budget counterspell package is Counterspell, Arcane Denial, Swan Song and Negate. Ignoring budget, I'd add Force of Will and Pact of Negation in a combo-heavy meta, or Cryptic Command and Mystic Confluence in a battlecruiser meta where card advantage is more important.

You're in a very small minority. "Investors" and "speculators" are scum.

You also can't spell for shit. Says a lot.

No one falls for your evil investors meme bullshit, /pol/.
Go make another Villa Zhang thread, 3 are not enough.

But that's a good thing. We need more crazy shit.

Fuck off with your persecution complex and kill yourself.

>he thinks the secondary market is good

Attached: 1457560554147.png (1000x666, 373K)

>We need more crazy shit.
no we dont magic is wacky enough without people intentionally trying to be as wacky as possible

if you are looking for cheap good edh counters I prefer the ones that draw you a card after like bone to ash or arcane denial, especially if you are playing multiplayer games or creature cards with the sac or tap effect to counter a spell like the spellkite drake or judges familiar, just always threatening to counter something.

>You're in a very small minority
thats kinda funny considering where we are posting
more people watch his videos on a daily basic than post on Veeky Forums all week

No, it's not. I require more. And even then, the Helm isn't that whacky. It just makes a clone of your commander or a legend that gets to stick around for the turn. It's no worse than clones with Mirror Gallery or Stangg.

>missing the point
Rudyfags are numbskulls too, thanks for proving me right

Either move into a first world country or finish high school, whichever is keeping you from forming a coherent sentence in English.

You're actually incorrect.

I think if the price of cards is high it's only Wizards fault, not the secondary market's.
Would you prefer not to be able to buy singles?
Fuck off with your retarded "political" shit, you have a whole containment board for that.

Well more people talk about Rudy on Veeky Forums than that one faggot who got banned and is on a crusade against Wizards now and doesn't know what the law of averages is.

>it's only Wizards fault
... for appeasing dick weasels like Rudy with the continued existence of the Reserved List.

There's nothing political about telling some faggot posting about his Patreon e-celeb to fuck off.

Secondary market =/= investors.

The secondary market makes playing this game actually possible.
Investors are just parasites.

theres nothing wrong with my english aside from capitalization and punctuation
get fucked scrub
>you are in a small minority says the guy who is in an even smaller minority
did you even have one? cause you have failed to make one so far.

You will immediately cease and not continue to access the site if you are under the age of 18.

See, you're agreeing Rudy has no faults.
Except there is.
It's the first M25 unboxing, retard, if you don't want to see the cards you can fuck off.
You know, just fuck off anyway.

>gets wrecked and immediately turns to the big dick of the law
>plow me daddy
wew

>making cards harder to get
>talks about decision making, economics and commerce
God forbid you might actually get a job

You do realise that your boss pays you less than your labor's worth, effectively making him a parasite?

I used to as well

i dont like card unboxing videos and the sample size is too small to see what cards are being printed at what average for limited or buying bulk.
>wizards prints same rarity cards in different ratios because of the nature of print sheets and using maximum space

My comp edh deck. Derevi stax. Winter orb/hokkori/ water effects and use derevi to tap their lands each turn. Stack with grand arbiter/thalia effects so they cant cast anything and just poke em to death. Birthing pod my derevi each turn for arbiter/sisay/hokkori/linvala to shut off w.e i need.

>and hope that my opponents will eventually kill themselves?
>grand arbiter autistin IV

they will kill you 100% every time, every game

I'm saying you're a fucking idiot. That's my point, I'm not surprised you missed it.

thats not much of a point
thats just name calling
you dumb gay

We are precon-tier meta pal - people are running taplands here. I want to run a UW deck but I only played tokens and lifeplay for now so that's the whole new thing for me - I'm quite confused and I have trouble to even pick a proper UW commander at this point

Attached: 1517184762718.png (900x1346, 877K)

Yeah, you're the only one interest in mtg on this board, no one should promote videos you might not like.

>actual children on Veeky Forums

So Dominaria confirmed for being THE commander set?

Ages ago, back when Tempest was new, I built a deck centered around Eldimiri's Vinyard (sp?)and lots of discard effects to mana burn my opponent to death. Obviously non-viable anymore.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you can run Privileged Position (5 cost green OR white) to prevent the table from doing anything to the rest of your enchantments, right? Or does that not count as being in your commander's color identity

yes

Privileged Position has a GW color identity, sadly.

Before you even start, shut the fuck up about Extort

Retard

>We are precon-tier meta pal - people are running taplands here.

then they will definitely target you, timmy HAET counterspell

>precon meta
You will get fucking destroyed the second anything of substance lands.

>actual children on Veeky Forums

>I'm quite confused and I have trouble to even pick a proper UW commander at this point
Be an asshole user. Do it.

Attached: Image.jpg (223x310, 30K)

i legitimately think Veeky Forums might be making me dumber
either that or I'm slowly having a stroke
ive been posting at work for the last 3 weeks and now i can hardly do my job, what are the symptoms of a stroke aside from a numb face?

Smelling toast, i think

Marchesa player here, I've found that the sunforger package comes in super handy here, as you can use it to fish out Boros Charm and other things for spot protection.

Also don't underestimate the power of politics, if you have things like Duelist's Heritage and Coercive Portal you can either rig combat phases during opponents' turns (in the case of the former) or dangle a board wipe over people's heads (the latter). People will realize sooner or later that you've got a lot of ways to punish them, but only if they bother you first.

ok well i havent had that yet but my nose is going numb

In the last thread I noticed that few anons were asking about Noyan Dar. He seems to be a quite newbie friendly commander - I could run a Terra Eternal, try to act friendly and focus on countering only enchantment removals and mass creature killers. Also second sun approach as a side wincon - seems like a lot of people are running this card just for giggles
What's the trick here? ETB spam?

I've been trying to play sultai control (tasigur) but I'm realizing i only like control in 60 card and that I'm really a timmy at heart.
I want to RAMP HARD AND FAST so that I can cast BIG SHIT QUICKLY (creatures or spells), black is my favorite color. Who should I play?

Attached: 1520575980540.png (1920x1080, 1.69M)

>What's the trick here? ETB spam?
Yes. Shit like Oblivion Ring and what not.

5Cbombs.dek
you get to play godsire AND consuming aberration

Rudy literally pulled the exact same rares from 2 different boxes.

Wizards is so retarded that they forgot to randomize the packs. Jesus christ they're gonna get so much hate if these boxes are mappable.

How the fuck is it possible for Wizards to fuck up so bad time and time again?

they care more about dicks in butts than butts in seats

All of the commanders are boring as fuck though.