Because everyone wants to play as some off-kilter half-thing with magic in my friend's upcoming campaign...

Because everyone wants to play as some off-kilter half-thing with magic in my friend's upcoming campaign, I'm choosing a boring-ass human. He is a squire with aspirations of knighthood, and a cavalier fighter seems like it fits that mold best.

All I need is a name. Give me some help, Veeky Forums.

Attached: guard_by_wlop-d9kmnxu.jpg (1600x894, 275K)

Sir Ronald of Blocker aka Dick Blocker

>because I think my friends are having fun wrong, I am going to be That Guy and make a character that doesn't fit the group

if you don't like the campaign idea, don't play in it

Sir snowflake

You two are some easily offended nonces, aren't you?

You're being a cunt.

Obiwan Marcus Pheonix von Hindenburg III.

A day in the life of Veeky Forums

>great helm plate armor and shield

sorry sweetie, this isn't your safe space

Says the easily offended nonce.

What? He didn't say the campaign requires it, only he wants to play a grounded and more normal character to balance out the group.

Maybe something plain like Henry of villagename would be a good choice

Haha, gotem

John Smith

Looks ceremonial. Royal guards wore some silly things from time to time.

It’s a really bland and colorless ceremonial wear than. It’s more likely that the artist just doesn’t really know what he’s drawing and just relied on pop culture references

Sir Bearington

Thank you for being the only sensible person to have posted so far.

>polished steel
>gold trim
>red cape
>large enough shield to draw the kingdom's history on
Seems pretty reasonable, all told.

Post your art

>You can’t have an opinion if you can’t do it yourself!
Where does this meme come from?

Post your shitty art, autist

I don’t have any because I don’t draw, did you bother reading my last post?

Post your shitty art

What's wrong with that?

>Has no concept of clean and austere presentation for nobility
>is so retarded that he would try and guard someone from arrow fire with his body instead of a large surface area shield.

He's not guarding her from arrows. He's guarding her from fruit and other unsavory things thrown by peasants.

That’s what plate armor was for, I know this is Veeky Forums which means that more than likely you’ve never gone hiking but you want to carry as little as possible, especially when you’re moving in groups with other people which slows you down even more. A shield on top of plate armor is not only redundant but will also force you to carry extra weight

Squire's tended to be from the nobility, so if op is going for generic while still possibly interesting he could be from a minor noble house.

Lord Arthas of Crownsfell. [Spoiler]because sometimes I'm a sucker for references.[/spoiler]

As much as I want it, I'm sure my character will never compare to the OG.

Attached: Lich_King!.jpg (640x487, 68K)

A bodyguard would logically need to protect their charge. A large shield would obviously be more useful than trying to interpose one's own body.
Read the fucking context. Just because these missiles are nonlethal doesn't mean the bodyguard should not be prepared for lethal missiles.

A rising squire into knighthood eh? You might be the butt-end of alot of encounters and scenes if any at all due to everyone elses more flamboyent vharacter choices.

You are going to have to step up your characters ambitions and mannerisms to keep up with them. I wouldn't say to go as far as a Zealot or Sunbro. But just a little bit of hard-tack and good one liners can do wonders.

As for a name, I am going to assume you are playing a youngladmcvirginpants whom as a squire barely knows how to use the probably loaned weapon and armor he is wearing.

I am thinking a good strong name like Percival, Haggard, Hobbard, Peter, Michael, Matthias, Noah, Isaac, Isaea, Luke, Johnathan, Johnus, Derick, Durst, David, Darrel, Clark, Richard, Rickard, Rupert, Ferdinand, Frederick, Izekiel, Templeton, Yorick, Mordekai, etc

These names are several among "Proud" names. Names that enemies will never forget, peasants look up to, and they roll off the tongue.

>if I say nonce enough it'll stick

I understand where you're coming from, OP. I just got it mini painting and many fantasy figures are these elaborate looking try-hards with exaggerated poses. I found myself drawn to vintage Ral Partha minis since they're so simple and less of an eyesore (once you get past the mold quality).

Being "normal" or "classic," like a wizard with a starry robe and pointed hat, really seems to stand out to me.

If the sun was beating down that hard, wouldn't her hand burn where it's touching the armor?

Thank you. And he's definitely not the face, more like the "reliable" one. He's headstrong but kind and virtuous. He was born into nobility but relates more to a hard day's work than he does pompous social affairs. He's will be so cloyingly Lawful Good that he will likely feel off-putting to the more outgoing and freewheeling PCs. In fact the only reason why I didn't make him a paladin was because I wanted him to be the "brought up by his bootstraps" kind of guy. He has no innate talent - magical or otherwise - and gained every bit of skill he has through hard work and dedication. He aspires to be a knight because he knows that knights aren't just respected, but also often corrupt and cruel. He wants to restore people's faith.

And thank you for the name suggestions. I'm drawn to Hobbard and Durst, if only because they sound non-traditionally goofy.

You do know that shields have more use than just blocking, right? See the Roman's tactics if you need a good example of how that works.

First Names
Rickard, Daven, Edrick, Duncan, Karst, Deckard, Janus, Xander, Van, Alveron
Last Names
Of Village/Town: Bantam, Whitewater, Ironwood, Summerset, Dragon's Roost

Cooper, Slate, Smyth, Fletcher, Boros
NAMEson/dotter

Ser Hobbard

Ser Durst

Both of these names were of lower noble birth, but still noble and strong willed. A loadbearing name for carrying the burdens of your people. A driving force of ambition to return the glimmer of hope pressence a knight once brought. You may be no Lancelot, Mordred or Arthur, But you are a Knight of purpose and vigilence.

What I want to know is. Why would he be using this particular insult ( one given to european prisoners whom were convicted for childfondling )

toward someone who is just expressing their biased opinions and being combative with you.

That's what that meant?

I thought he was just making a typo.

hes shielding her from thrown fruit and veg, look in the background

... Can you write my backstory, you eloquent bastard, you?

Ask about your DM's world. I played a homebrew with some friends where I played the daughter of a nobleman so naturally I had the house name and something equally fancy sounding as a first name.
Your DM might already have some noble names and houses in mind, or you could help him come up with some in the process of making and fleshing out your character.
Really it depends on what language your last name is derived from (or intended to mimic) what kind of first name you want. If you have some fancy French sounding last name you might want a first name like Antoine or Clement.
When in doubt, Biblical names are solid choices..

In this discussion it was already pointed out the the armor is most likely ceremonial. The shield was part of the ceremonial ensemble, and if you already have the shield, why would you not use it if it is effective?

Plate armor owner here. If you keep it shaded like he's doing it's usually fine.

uh, sweetie, it's called being transage cloversexual, my pronouns are clim/clir, shitlord

>this artist is shitty because he doesn't know X, Y, and Z art theory, which i know all about (look at the size of my dick Veeky Forums, tell me how big it is)

>so are you an artist then?

>well, no, i've never tried to draw anything, i just studied art so i could complain about how everyone else is doing it wrong (my dick is bigger than that artist guy's dick, though, for reals)

>maybe you could find something better to post about

>how dare you! i have a huge dick, Veeky Forums always says so!

You seem to have everything already written down just from your posts! But I digress. A name is more than just a name, each one has a history or pupose behind it. I simply gave you a bit of incite on the percieved fate behind them.

But to answer your question. No I will not write your backstory for you. Because it is your story, the character is already there, you even have his general mannerisms. A name is all you require, and your inclination toward Hobbard and Durst are both excelent for a hard working "actions speak more than words" sort of fellow.

I believe you have everything you need to make a wonderful memorable character, be sure you share with us his adventures and complaints of your shitty party members!

A critic is like an eunuch in that both know how it should be done, but neither can actually do it.

Here’s a historically sound painting proving it can be done, now kill yourself

Attached: 29694A38-6F2E-4CED-A49D-7C693E1F0C21.png (220x160, 85K)

You inspire the hell out of me. "Ser" Durst of Dragon's Rest (Ser is in quotations because he is not yet a knight but has a slightly arrogant penchant for assuming that it is inevitable) will surely inspire many memorable adventures with a group consisting mostly of unsavory brigands who have equal parts love and disdain for the armored killjoy of their group.

That's a painting for ants, kill yourself in a tiny way you tiny thing

>moving the goalpost

>Wear full armor
>Job is to protect the noble lady/princess
>B-But my armor will protect me, why do I need a shield?
To protect HER you dumb fuck.

>not posting your shitty art

He said squire, not Rogue Trader

>repeating yourself over and over again in hopes that you’ll drown out the opposition

>Not posting your shitty art in hopes that anyone takes you seriously

>LALALA I CANT HEAR YOU
You tried I guess

Wouldn't that be Sir Richard Blocker?

Well yes, that's far too short a name for a Rogue Trader. He'd need at least 12 personal titles plus 50 ancestral ones to not be considered some first generation upstart.

Edmund Steinregel

10/10 would adventure with and purposefully fan the flames of your egotistical path to glory with my insidius plot to remove the corrupt seats of power and place my own.

>Durst of Dragon's Rest

So what's his actual surname?

Shoemaker.

You never try at anything, that's why you fail.

Sir Cumstance

At least he's not a Jew.

Only his dearest fellows know of his secret shame, but to all who face him he is Ser Durst of Dragons Rest! Knight savant and diligant protector of the good fight and honest integrity!

There's a tiefling in the party named Lech. Ser Durst doesn't have it too bad.

Lech!? What manner of idiot is he? Lecherous jokes abound and many a scowl from both man and woman! A tiefling is bad enough, but a stupidly named one is just asking for a proper bully!

If the royal family is so hated within their own kingdom that they need a paladin to shield the princess from abuse and rotten fruit, is it a Good action to protect the princess? Shouldn't he just throw her to the mob and gutter crown that shit?

Attached: 1515575574375.png (406x484, 22K)

I think it's more that she's an elf, notice her ears, and the mob is implied to be human. Could be she's being married as part of a peace agreement and tensions are still high.

>Race traitors

Attached: 1495509592829.jpg (500x500, 68K)

>within their own kingdom
Says who?

Yeah because mob mentality is a good way to tell what's good for anyone.

Anyone else sick of seeing great helms on everything? Its made me despise the aesthetic of the 13th century.

We'll see you next week when you'll argue the game isn't well balanced.

>Muh Human bland fighter can't keep up with the other party members, NERF EVEYTHING !

If the mob is mad enough to throw shit at the princess despite all the risks that come with it, something's very wrong.

>Anyone else sick of seeing great helms on everything?
No.

>generic plate wearing human
Do you also enjoy watching paint dry?

No because I don't care enough to know the difference.

Attached: 1513534302192.jpg (1280x1737, 400K)

What color is the paint?

But user, that's not how mob mentality works

How about that off-white paint that goes on purple and then changes.

Julius Winterberry.

>she's an elf
Nah. More like half-elf probably.

he's not being an art critic, he's being a pissant grognard because OP image isn't historically accurate. I should know, I consider myself a pissant grognard, and yes he's correct, the image does not portray a set of armor that anyone would have worn into battle, historically speaking.

but being a pissant grognard isn't called for in this context because OP image clearly isn't trying to be historically accurate, it's obviously fantasy. for all we know the Knight's helm is the Great Helm of Strength, his shield is the Tower Shield of Hex Resistance (gotta have that for all the wizards around), and his armor is the Enchanted Plate of Not Sucking Dick, and therefore it's perfectly logical that he's outfitted exactly thus. it's not a vignette from real life its a fucking fantasy concept art so who cares if his armor ensemble would be practical in real life??

Attached: 1520458400429.png (633x524, 14K)

>Royal guards wore some silly things from time to time
>Wore (past tense)
Ever heard of a place called Europe? The guards of heads of state still wear the silliest shit there.

Attached: 1520941683446[1].jpg (2000x1333, 551K)

Dacron

I for one am sick of wankers who want full armor and no helmet for some autistic reason or another. It'd be less intolerable if people weren't constantly flooding the drawthreads with that because good lord are their OCs a pile of wet dog shite. It'd also be less intolerable if they weren't so fucking autistic.

Oooh that sounds fun, I'll bring the chips