How would the world being an infinite 2d plain effect an otherwise generic fantasy setting?

How would the world being an infinite 2d plain effect an otherwise generic fantasy setting?

Attached: u45vX.png (1600x900, 413K)

waterworld

Competition over land would probably be less of a problem when you could just fuck off to somewhere else on the infinite plane

>plain
>effect

You understood the op so why bitch?

Water world isn't infinite

I've thought about that myself. I find the idea rather appealing, especially the implications of exploring to the furthest reaches involving land travel rather than space exploration.

If the whole plane is inhabitable to some degree then you basically can have almost anything you want in the setting, just put it farther away if it doesn't mesh with your current setting.

How would the world be lit? are there an infinite amount of suns travelling across the plane?

I love that idea, actually. But, as usual, it depends. For example, how does the sun work? Does it raise and set? Does it shine everywhere or is only core brightened by it? Or maybe there are other suns, with wastelands between them?
Also, do we agree that on infinite world anything that has any possibility of existing should exist? So, for example, an almost infinitely tall mountain, somewhere in almost infinite distance on the horizon? All kinds of alien forms of life - I actually like the idea, that the starting place is "normal" and the further you go from it, the weirder it gets.

Not necessarily. If you can't project your power to that new land, then it's useless for you. And who said that there aren't also infinite civilizations and every piece of land is more or less inhabitated?

Maybe there isn't any lighting in the first place? of course you would have to explain why everyone hasn't frozen to death but I think it would be more interesting that way. Also if there's infinite land people might voluntarily spread out to avoid conflict, the place wouldn't be densely packed with civilizations because people don't generally settle countries close together if they can help it

Super Paper Mario?

Good question. That's the one thing that I couldn't make a satisfactory explanation for. In my conception, I imagined that the sun passed over the world and disappeared beneath the plane at night. I pictured that the area nearest the sun's arc was literally scorched and impassable. The hot equivalent of Antarctica, and that beyond it to the "South" were parts unknown and unreachable.

Funnily enough that was a common conception in medieval times, that the equator was a burning impassable wasteland and that there was no way to reach the southern hemisphere.

To the "North" I imagined uncountable miles of pitch black frozen wastes. You could put a bunch of these habitable zones on an infinite grid if you desired, each separated by zones of fire and ice.

Night comes when the great god N'grathur goes to sleep and his all-seeing luminous eye closes for about 12 hours out of every 24.

This actually really good minus the name

This is

Suns drift across the vastness like Phoenix albatross. Many but distant from each other.

Moons are their eggs which float closer to the earth.

I was just throwing something random together, the name can be whatever you want, though there should be some name because I doubt something that important would remain nameless.

Dwarven settlements would all be under lonely mountains because as they dig down they place the rubble above ground. the older the dwarven civilization the larger the mountain.

Attached: 1200px-LonelyMountain.jpg (1200x750, 98K)

Maybe dwarves execute criminals by throwing them out the bottom of the world ?

the sun is an another 2d infinite plain. it doesnt move, but its intensity changes, creating night cycles and seasons.

Or maybe light is just an innate quality of the world, there is no sun. Just half of the time the sky is bright and that's how it is. Just like gravity pulls you down.

What I like about this whole concept is that it's, in a way, a very modern kind of a myth, that gives us a promise of complete insignificance, something unheard of in the old stories, where the world was shaped by heroes and, in a way, created to give us the place we are in.

But you can take from the plain and add to the plain at another point?

I just find infinity really cozy, travel and exploration really appeal to me and walking into the infinite sunset fits that to a t

> Dwarves ...underground...
You've missed the point of a 2d setting, which is THAT IT HAS NO DEPTH! Try reading "Flatland"!

There would be no concept of sneaking

Isn't this Kingdom Death's setting? Infinite barren wasteland with no light, only lanterns

I'm pretty sure from what op has said is that the world is 3 dimensional it's just that the earth itself is a infinite 2d plane on which things exist

Wouldn't that be space opera with ships?

Attached: 6-modern-war-ship.jpg (830x622, 77K)

Pretty much, what's the ocean to land ratio though?

Then that is an infinite, topographically featureless, plain in a 3d setting, not a 2d plain which by definition has no height/depth axis.

>Competition over land would probably be less of a problem when you could just fuck off to somewhere else on the infinite plane

There always stupid people that want to stay wirth those they hate, so your logic is flaweed

War would still be a thing, I just think it would be less common

Many hell and etc.. worlds at fantasy settings are like this.

Some have 2d toroidal terrain instead of infinite ones

The world is flat - and shallow. The soil isn't deep enough for ore or proper stone. There's no plants taller than a bush. For this lack of building material there are few landmarks that can be seen beyond a certain distance. Every civilization scattered across the plane has a terminal point - a distance that they instinctive do not go beyond, because once they go that far there's no guarantee they'll be able to find their way back.

Yet, there are those who walk between civilizations. Pulled by duty or curiosity. Many aspire to be such legends, and many fall short. Only those with the knacks for measurement and time can travel the featureless plane without becoming lost or going mad.

They're known as Compasses. They don't point north - they point 'home'. Ask a Compass how far they have traveled and they will tell you, down to the number of steps they've taken. Pick a blade of grass on the horizon and they will tell you what people live in that direction, and how many torches it will take to get there.

That game isn't generic in any way shape or form

>There always stupid people that want to stay wirth those they hate, so your logic is flaweed

fantasy settings dont follow logic so his point is still valid

bait

Most fantasy settings take place on planes, and never concede the existence if planets or outer place as concepts, and take place on only the explored part of the plane. So not really at all?