/btg/ BattleTech General

---------------------------------
If this one isn't crazy you MIGHT get me to fight Lyran for a while, edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: ==================================

BattleTech video-game Beta gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=rt6FatHHnzI

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2018-03-10 - Still getting worked on & now has 32336 pics! Any help with tagging appreciated!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord servers, etc.) Last updated 2018-02-28!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Attached: 20dddfdbc53497465a2cdafdc9c0e2e8728e5cee.png (1900x1080, 2.29M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JJiPxCS1yvs
store.steampowered.com/bundle/3096/Crusader_Kings_II_Collection/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why are LAMs so good?

What's your favorite Clan?

Attached: 1459096885223.jpg (200x279, 33K)

Because high enough movement modifiers make you almost impossible to hit, and you still get to have guns and armour like a real mech instead of a 20 ton speed demon that is the only thing that's as fast as a LAM.

lol it's not that I can't wrap my head around a big school, it's that canon also states these places have very small classes for empires of hundreds of worlds and trillions of people.

Warden Wolf

I have awful taste but I just hate the Falcons so damn much.

Ice Hellion, baby. Too fast in life and death.

Attached: green bird on palm 1.jpg (642x642, 82K)

Wunderwulf?

TMMs - including jumping modifiers - should be capped at a +4.

Any more than that simply breaks the 2d6 curve.

Eww

Attached: Classicbattletechcomapanion13.png (298x289, 47K)

Jags.
Falcons second.

Attached: 6973195af610c1298bee803346410255.jpg (530x530, 33K)

Some examples:
Aitutaki Academy graduates sixty mechwarriors a year
Dieron District Gymnasium graduates fifteen to twenty
Allison MechWarrior Institute turns out 375 a year. In addition it's stated to be a top producer, so presumably it's a good example of a large school.
Sun Zhang MechWarrior Academy graduates over four hundred, and is specifically noted for graduating the most MechWarriors per year of any training facility in the Inner Sphere.

So yeah, packs of dispossessed are fucking stupid. Just like everything else in this fucking universe.

But how many die per year?

Apparently, fuckloads, since they're all running around with popguns.

This is the only acceptable clan.

Attached: mad cat.jpg (800x1570, 1022K)

does anyone have a copy of the art piece with a hunchback bursting out of a building and headshotting a madcat?

I know that I have it somewhere, but my Veeky Forums folder is gargantuan and I can't find it.

Star Adder.

JAGUARS FOREVER!

Attached: Smoke Jaguar Khan.jpg (480x480, 35K)

Smoke Jaguar! Smoke Jaguar! Sitting tight,
Poised to pounce in dim moonlight!

Attached: kitty meow meow.jpg (316x430, 66K)

Diamond Sharks, lets make a deal.

Come at me, faggot.

Don't bother, I'm too fast.

>There is a small number of emotional disturbed regulars on this general that are a real problem- it's not the IP, that's chugging along. If it's you, BE SANER.

No. You can't make me.

I have a solution for that.

Attached: possum-in-cage.jpg (1000x750, 555K)

Is the Sunder Samual the best cannon anti infantry machine? I mean look at all of those inferno, the only thing that could make this better would be swapping the PPC for a plasma cannon.

Attached: battletech___draconis_combine_sunder_by_shimmering_sword-d6okbfz.jpg (1191x670, 200K)

Give praise to Blake!

Attached: 37th WoBM Division.png (400x400, 46K)

Best canon antiinfantry is definitely a vee

Allow me to modify my question then, best Canon anti infantry mech

Naga Prime with Inferno IV rounds.

It is proper to praise him

Attached: BTForumSig6.png (640x110, 75K)

WHY ARE FANS WHO LIKE THIS NOT BEING KILLED IN THE STREETS? WHY ARE ALL OF YOU SHIRKING YOUR DUTY?

Attached: derpy__s_mech_by_foxi_5-d54ruo3.jpg (1600x1093, 1.33M)

Scarecrow is pretty gross. Anything that boats MMLs too. And I'd swap the PPC for a Plasma Rifle myself, but I love multi-taskers.

Attached: Abraxas ABX-2N.png (634x889, 56K)

Arrows can take infernos?

Attached: clan spice and wolf.png (1116x598, 271K)

What mech is that?

I can confirm that; had them used against me in a MegaMek game about a year ago.

How did that go?

Something with lots of MGs and/or Flamers.
But realistically against infantry you will need something that demolishes buildings easily.

Arrow size ones, yes.

Like Detroit on Devi's Night in The Crow.

Sorry I'm not too familiar with the third world

Attached: Hunchbacks are awesome.jpg (900x669, 109K)

I figured enough people had seen that movie to get the reference.

Attached: Burning-city.png (1600x637, 2.44M)

Attached: mfw dracs.png (150x154, 49K)

What's wrong with the combine user-kun?

Attached: draconis combine.png (537x626, 423K)

>Lyran edition
Fug yeah

Attached: dance it off.webm (1280x720, 1.57M)

Inker around?

>people unironically liking clan space nazi

even worse than a drac

which clan is that? falcon?

Close, but no cigar. It's Jaguar.

Not to nitpick but the Jags are more like the USSR in their application of general violence against those deemed subversives rather than the racial policies of the Nazis.

If the Jags are supposed to be the objectively evil warmongering Clan faction, then shouldn't they be more rightly compared to the US instead?

Tired bait. Old. Chewy. 1/10 for getting me to respond.

this

Truth knows no age limit.

What Battletech books don't suck? I hear Stackpole wrote a couple and I like the X-Wing novels, are they any good?

Are there any comics?

>What Battletech books don't suck?

The 3 Gray Death Legion books (Decision at Thunder Rift, Mercenary's Star, Price of Glory)
Everything written by Bob Charrette
Ideal War by Kubasik
Some would argue for Thurston's Jade Falcon trilogy
Victor Milans books are fun if you can get past the ridiculous Sue of a protagonist (Close Quarters, Black Dragon, and Hearts of Chaos)

That's about it. Star Lord sucks, but is fun all the same.

>Are there any comics?

Dark Horse wrote some, but they're terrible.

Decision at Thunder Rift, Wolves on the border, and Heir to the dragon are all pretty good intro tech books.

The Battletech novels are from earlier than the SW ones, so every bad or annoying habit of his from the X-wing books is there but more so, and others that didn't transfer over are *also* there
Now that said, if you want only the cheesiest of neofeudal space psudomilitary pulp, you've come to the right fucking place

>What Battletech books don't suck?
Most of them, except the Early DA ones. The novels rely a lot on each other in the later ones though so don't just pick them out of a hat. If you like Xwing, you'll like most of the Battletech novels. They're the same kind of fun genre pulp. Stackpole actually got famous writing Battletech before he wrote for Star Wars. Stackpole's early BT stuff is the best though, mostly because he spends way too much time faffing around with middling late-3050's politics in later books.

>Are there any comics?
Yes, like Battletech Fallout, but those suck. Mostly from the people not knowing anything about Battletech.

>Flying Naga Star.jpg

How do you guys feel about youtube.com/watch?v=JJiPxCS1yvs ?

Sorry if it's been shilled a lot here recently.

Right, so which should I start with?

Attached: btech.png (970x904, 78K)

The beginning, Decision at Thunder Rift. Good intro, good book, and will let you know if you like the flavor.

It's gonna make the thread more popular. Just like what happened with Shadowrun. The good news is that Battletech isn't the mess the current edition SR is in, they're even on track to winning the bullshit legal battle that's been going on for decades.

>.rtf

Aw, you're gonna miss out on all the illustrations and stuff.

my e-reader doesn't handle images well anyways so eh. I'm probably gonna spend half the time googling every mech that gets mentioned anyhow.

I want to buy this game

I hope you're ready for that Paradox business model, user.
store.steampowered.com/bundle/3096/Crusader_Kings_II_Collection/

That's what theft is for

Besides, paradox has actual content. That's more than you can say about EA.

It's the MechCommander sequel we've been waiting for like fifteen years. Should be pretty good. I'm also counting on Randal fucking up writing the antagonists as awesome good guys as usual which means we get to be on the bad guy end of a full merc campaign. That should be fun.

HBS only released like one actual DLC for their Shadowrun games. For a company run by a couple of kikes that's incredibly impressive.

wolves are a close second

Attached: 1516818310292.png (501x487, 73K)

I'm hoping they follow their Shadowrun model and we get a series of games with a new story each game.

Sounds like it.

I mean it appears suggested the Taurians are the bad guys and outside of the jihad era (and even then it's arguable) that's never really been the case.

Been gone from this board for about year or more, now in a position where I have a moderate amount of free time. I'm completely out of the loop, anything happen while I was gone? Did catalyst do anything relevant In all honesty, I know the most likely answer to this question by now? Did any notable anons leave/disappear?

Attached: 1490420273728.png (305x305, 62K)

>Like Detroit on Devil's Night in The Crow.

Jesus Christ? Stop me if you've heard this one. Jesus Christ walks into an inn. He hands the innkeeper three nails, and he says ... Can you put me up for the night?

Attached: crow2.jpg (650x400, 19K)

>Clans

Attached: nicky k can't yiff.jpg (386x481, 114K)

You died, Muninn.

>They actually made it the Star League dollar

It's the little things.

One of my favorite parts of the movie. I liked how they managed to make it dark without making it too edgy. It's a very fun flic.

But yeah, the dude I was playing against basically parked his AIV unit and just burned down the city we were fighting over (in).

Not Muninn, but please don't tell me Muninn is actually dead or gone. Is sprite user at least still here? How much did I miss?

Attached: 1484868995699.jpg (1508x1809, 578K)

That's the meme, that he got "truck of peace"d. The reality is he dropped off the face of the earth after moving to France and nobody else working on the TRO has access to the Paypal funds or his files, so they are soft-resetting the project with way more input from us. They basically admitted he was turning it into "TRO: Muninn and friends" and so they are going to get us in on the process to a much greater degree. And be transparent about what they are doing and how they are doing it.

Pixelbro's been MIA for a bit but I do think he stopped in a few months back. Inker, Pencilbro, and Bradicus(?) are all still here though. And Shimmy visits from time to time too.

Whats the best method to acquire star league mechs in mekhq from 3000 to 3049?

>so they are soft-resetting the project with way more input from us
>And be transparent about what they are doing and how they are doing it.
Shame about Muninn, but I suppose this is in a way bitter sweet boon. Hopefully I can find a thread in a archive that will help explain more.
>Pixelbro's been MIA for a bit but I do think he stopped in a few months back. Inker, Pencilbro, and Bradicus(?) are all still here though. And Shimmy visits from time to time too.
Thank god, I was worried for a second everyone would disappear before I came back. Last I was here we were talking about Burrock Oberon's and Blood Spirit Taurian's and nuclear hell-in-the-cell's.

Attached: 1454292796215.png (661x716, 75K)

Decision at Thunder Rift, duh.

But after the first couple Gray Death books skip right to Wolves on the Border

Get lucky and get Cache missions. Win them. Claim the 'Mech and the breach of contract that goes along with it.

It's not a BT mech, it's just a generic mecha thing with global rule 15 violations near it.

Ooh, someone still has the early art of the broadside. This is what the final version turned into, but I've got a soft spot for the old school derp look of the first draft.

Attached: BROADSIDEfin200cleanI.png (1647x1572, 608K)

They talked about doing 4th Succession War and Clan Invasion in success so I'm ready to throw as much money as they need.

Wow, they really went "tank on legs" on the design with it. I'm ashamed to say I first thought of Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor when I looked at it at a glance

...so I've been out of the loop so long that I didn't get to see yet how the released Goshawk 2 mini looked like. I was always interested in getting an actual 1:285 sized one to replace the larger dark ages fig. I just want to know how this...

Attached: Goshawk_II_2.jpg (527x636, 257K)

...became this. Maybe its my eyes or the angle, but this isn't exactly what I had in mind. I can't believe I'm saying this, but the dark age figure looked better.

Attached: 20-5144-bw.jpg (500x500, 315K)

They look pretty similar to me.

Head looks flat, arm look like knobby rectangle with ridges, and the detail is flat or non-existent. Understand I'm comparing it to this.

Attached: 58.jpg (285x316, 36K)

I think the pose might be shit. Also there aren't any ammo feeds or wires going to the left arm.

>finish up a planetary assault contract against B-veteran clannies, happy to have some rest to repair my mechs and try to work with the clan mechs I salvaged to see if I can get a timber wolf or nova in working order
>hit complete contract, then "Due to the Clan Invasion crisis your employer has invoked the emergency clause and extended the contract 2 months"
>now I have to do a base defense with a grand total of 6 functional mechs out of 12.

Attached: 1418763070288.jpg (201x241, 39K)

rip in pepperoni

Oh yeah, guess I might as well ask too, how has MekHQ/AtB changed? I got an update in my email a while back saying that the bug I submitted regarding fuel cells producing heat in battlemechs got fixed.

LAMs get PLASTERED with penalties that most players forget. Or, more simply, a lot of people cheat - deliberately or not. The rules have been a bit of a clusterfuck since day 1.

• On the turn it transforms a LAM eats a +3 to-hit modifier >in addition< to its Attacker Movement Mod.
• When it transforms, the LAM may ONLY use the previous move mode, at half the normal MP. That means going 'Mech->AirMech you use half your 'Mech-mode Jump/walk/Run MP (rounding down) and then suffer ruinous to-hit penalties.
At the end of the conversion, you're still on the ground; you have to burn 5 WiGE MP next turn just to take off, and at least another 5 to hover/maintain altitude.

This is the big one that everyone forgets.

• Climbing more than one Level above the terrain costs an additional MP, and you spend an additional MP per hex moved above NoE in AM Mode. That means 3 for the initial climb and then 2 for every hex afterwards

Second-biggest "oopsie". Because:

• LAMs are only 1 Level high. They can't claim partial cover, and they must immediately crash or end movement if they enter woods in WiGE mode.
• They're subject to the TacOps Turn Modes rules AND sideslipping/skidding. Light AirMechs get no bonus on the Turn Modes tables either.
• Flak. Sweet, Sweet Flak.
• Nasty penalties on Random Skill rolls, and they pay more for skills in RPG generation. In standard play, you pay the BV penalties for Aero skills >and< 'Mech skills.
• In Air-Mech mode, your ground movement (if you use it to, say, get cover) is cut to a third of your 'Mech-mode walking MP. And you can't spend WiGE and ground MP in the same turn.

Attached: 1374357035370.gif (320x240, 2.96M)

>that gif

Jesus christ, I need to watch some robotech