Everybody kills this race on sight because they hate them SOOO much

>Everybody kills this race on sight because they hate them SOOO much.
Why is this shit so common? Do you remember when during the era of the Barbary pirates, Berbers got murked the second they walked into European cities? No? The fucking Norse, pretty much just a bunch of vile rapist pirates as far as anybody else was concerned, got cushy jobs as the Varangian Guard. It takes a pretty modernist view of race/ethnicity and dials it up to eleven in a way that doesn't make any historical or sociological sense.

In addition to being unrealistic and stupid, it also just cuts off character possibilities for little reason. "They will kill you the moment they see you" just means "well okay I guess we don't go into that town/we cast a spell to hide your race/I won't play one of those," i.e. basically circumventing it entirely. "If anything goes wrong, they will blame you" allows for something even vaguely interesting to happen as a consequence other than just a fight scene with the pitchfork wielding villagers who are obviously in the wrong.

Attached: shooh on sight.png (706x312, 91K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thelibrary.org/lochist/turnbo/V28/ST815.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Berber diplomats, etc yes. If a Berber pirate ship rocked up, it got blown to shit.

You're trying to compare ethnicities of humans with a species of dragon monsters.

Obviously people literally engaged in crime will get shot. But just somebody of the same ethnicity, for being the same ethnicity?

That last example is just an asshole trying to force a human only campaign.

There used to be a law by which you could shoot Welsh with a Longbow caught walking the streets after dark.

Which monster race got rejected by your GM?

These aren't humans, they're monsters with thing such as "chaotic" or "evil" in their racial templates.

My country's national anthem is 20% about killing all Turks.
The rewritten one, drafted after Communism fell

Norse mercenaries are considerably more acceptable when you need someone to fight Muslim Invaders.
Especially when said mercs convert to Christianity.

>viKANGZ wuz epic badasses of epic violence for the win!!
Low IQ retard spotted.

My issue is not that there shouldn't be racial discrimination or even lynching and murder or sundown towns for Tieflings or Satyxis or whatever other race, it's the idea that if group A has grievance with/is racist against group B they therefore decide to kill all members of group B on sight, which as far as I am aware has basically never happened.

>not having your country be created by genocidical divine intervention
SANTIAGO Y CIERRA

I can imagine the Welsh were fantastically protected under such a code. After all, how common is it to catch a longbow walking the streets, let alone after dark?

Non-humans aren't people and so violence against them is always justified.

I do it with anime/furry races

>Oh, you wanna play a wolf furry/catgirl/anime loli? Fine.
>So, the game starts on a town square where party oversees the burning of [player name]'s character...

8 times out of 10 spergs get enraged and storm out. 2 times out of 10 they wise up and create humans and one of such players is now cured of weebism and is a good player in my group.

>4/5 people are smart enough to see the writing on the wall an leave
>The other 1/5 think a bad game is better than no game

>can't just look at them and say "no, make something more appropriate to the campaign"
Try being more assertive, I had the weebfags redesigning characters in motherfucking Anima (weebshit game). It's better than being passive aggressive about it

No, wait, I remember one case I read about it happening. There was some settler dude trekking to California, and he said "I'm gonna shoot and kill the first Indian I see" and then he did so, killing a Pawnee woman. The Pawnee soon caught up with the group, demanded they hand over the guy, then proceeded to flay him alive. Which is probably what would happen if you actually did this shit in real life.

thelibrary.org/lochist/turnbo/V28/ST815.html

Dont you watch the news? Shooting someone engaged in comitting a crime is the same thing as genocide.

Is your country Serbia?

Attached: remove_heresy.jpg (1024x735, 173K)

Why would you run Anima at all if you didn't want weebshit and edgy mcedge characters?

>anime loli
>burning of [player name]'s character
Jesus Christ, why does your setting faciliate the lynching of little girls?

"Kobold" isn't an ethnicity.

D&D races are more similar to each other in terms of culture, values, and beliefs than RL races.

>How do I deal with someone playing something that doesn't click with my setting
>Do I talk to the person like a mature adult, and ask them to consider another options
>No, I'll waste their time and mine by having them make the character, and then kill them via GM fiat.
>I am a mature human being and a good GM.

>pretending that that story actually happened

It's about the pissing contest.

They want to roll up to your game with some weebshit.

Then you crush them with stronger weebshit.

>Pretending that the hobby isn't filled to the brim with people that autistic

Because anima is ancient Spanish trick of bait and stab.
You make them think they strong.
Then you stab them with kitchen knife and leave them to bleed out in the middle of nowhere because they wanted weebshit but only manga you read is berserk and only anime you watched is geist MD.

Also because nobody fucking gets medicine. Why?

Kobolds are literally monsters that will attack people on sight, so I don't think it's unreasonable to respond in kind.

Horrible if it's a playable race, excellent if it's an NPC/monster race.

They are not in that setting (GURPS Fantasy Folk).

Because STYLE exists, of course.

he thinks it's hip and popular because game of thrones did it

Kobolds in D&D just want to mine and build traps in their dens unless gnomes roll up. They're pretty isolationist otherwise until their tribe gets too big for their home then a group will wander off in search for a new home.

No new players get that either.
Most new players (that come from DnD at least) just get buttload of combat crap and some notice and random tidbits of intellectuals or acrobatics (but not enough not is relevant).

Have you thought about if group B is terrifying spiders?

Because that's a lot more accurate statement.

He's right though. For everyone else vikings were just that. When an Englishman or a Frenchman saw a viking, it wasn't one of the peaceful farmers, fishermen or traders. It was a chainmail armored axe wielding brute who was there to take his gold and daughters.

This. The vikings were feared because if you saw them, you knew they would win in a fight because otherwise they wouldn't have shown up.

It's all about picking your battles.

Because i got the books as a gift and wanted to run it, and everyone wanted a high lethality dark campaign, so we did that. Then the fatso joined and wanted to play a literal mind controlling vampire loli. Anima can be pretty lethal if doe right, and focus on the good parts

In North Dakota, there still is a law on the books stating you can shoot Indians legally from a covered wagon. This would probably get changed if it ever happened, but I find it hilarious it was never updated.

Attached: moreyouknowmf9.jpg (500x328, 134K)

Two of those examples are literal horned demon people, and at least one of them is connected to a kingdom of undead ruled by a dragon seemingly bent of conquest and genocide by the average mortal.

Seems natural to kill such demons as a matter of protocol.

No, it does not, since if you do that then the other Satyxis/Tieflings find out you murdered one of theirs for no reason other than the shape of their horns and you had better believe that they kill you back.

And that's why we kill all Satyxis/Tieflings on sight.

No, that's why you are dead, because you saw somebody who looked funny and immediately killed them, so now their friends are coming by to burn down your home and kill you in fully justified retaliation.

Berbers are still human, kobolds and orcs are not.

Dangerous animals were shot or driven away from human settlements.

All the reasons why we don't kill people on sight but do kill rabid dogs on sight apply to orcs and kobolds.

Sorry, I’m behind 100 Ironclads.

No they don’t. They’re not people.

If you're behind 100 ironclads then you shouldn't have anything against Satyxis as they will be unable to do any piracy to you or anyone near you. QED.

It's super fucking edgy, and edgy sells right now. It also lets you live out your oppression fantasies, whether it's being the oppressed or doing the oppressing. It also allows the clueless, sheltered nerds who make RPGs to say "Hey guise we woke, we deal with racesm n stuff" without putting in any effort or learning about prejudice IRL. How would it not be all the rage in current year?

Attached: neon blart.png (411x580, 331K)

I agree, Orcs and Kobolds aren't people.
Shooting dogs on sight is animal cruelty.

The reasons Europeans didn't kill every Berber on sight has nothing to do with their morality.

1. They are members of larger social groups which are capable of taking revenge for aggressive violence.

2. To the extent that they are capable of violence, it is severely limited when they are alone.

3. They are capable of not being violent, and the fact that they are not coming with obvious intent to kill (i.e. armed and in a group) implies that they are not interested in violence.

4. Escalation to violence with them means they will also escalate in violence. If you kill them on sight they will try to kill you back, and very possibly succeed.

At the same time however, I can see why DnD races or whatever have a little more harsh actual diplomatic penalties. In the real world, different cultures don’t have scales, aren’t 3 feet tall, or have red skin, or look like devils.

It makes sense that racism can be a little more extreme as the physical differences between them are also bigger. Likewise, a lot of the more “monstrous” races have pretty bad morality. And bad in the sense that they make the Vikings look like church nuns by comparison. I agree that completely shutting down roleplay options due to “hurr they try to kill you on sight” is dumb but I think it’s also appropriate and even a lot of fun to explore the deeply ingrained stereotypes that a lot of these races DO face across other cultures

Way to miss the point. The interactions between “normal” people and these completely alien, foreign weeb races is what good DMing is all about.

Instead of “the game starts. Hurr durr you die.”
You could easily just fucking start the game as they appear and are subsequently jailed for being a monster. They can now break out and interact with the world, with help from the others, or whatever

Too bad that's a really bad comparison since they're literally not human.

I don't understand why you think this trolling is interesting, the answer is so goddamn obvious do you need to provoke people to provide explanations for why actual monsters work differently than other ethnicities of humans?

Incorrect.
It was a bye-law of the city of Chester that permitted you to kill any Welshman found within the city walls at night, but you had to use a crossbow to do so.

Orcs and kobolds act like humans.

>In the real world, different cultures don’t have scales, aren’t 3 feet tall, or have red skin, or look like devils.
But if these species did exist, people would probably have encountered them before and not be as shocked to see them. Also the "look like devils" meme makes no sense. Tieflings don't look like D&D demons/devils. They look like pop cultural Judeo-Christian devils
If it happens in every town it's going to get old fast. If it only happens the one time, why was that one town the only one with racist dicks? It's not good GMing, it's just less bad GMing

Here are some simple reasons why:
1. The universe is ruled by the laws of cause-and-effect
2. Our bodies (and brains) are physical objects in the universe
3. Therefore all actions they undertake are a result of the same cause-and-effect rule
4. Therefore Free Will is not a thing, everything is predetermined by the set of events that occurred before that
5. Some races will always be evil and violent and they do not have the agency to change that
6. Therefore they get shot on sight by members of other races who also react based to the causes prior to the engagement

Its simple determinism - a theory about the lack of free will that has yet to be proven wrong. The only way to get around it is to say that in your setting there is free will since consciousness is part of some metaphysical interaction (Having a soul that is free of the realms of physicality or something like that). Otherwise its no surprise some creatures would be murdered on sight.

>Orcs and kobolds act like humans.
typical elvish propaganda.
don't believe their lies.

>they dindu nuffin
>unless gnomes roll up
>then its genocide time

Do you see the hypocrisy?

Well I agree with you there. Subtle racism is much better than overt racism. Typically my trend follows somewhat close to real life. Large dense gatherings of people tend to be more “tolerant”, while backwoods are more reactionary.

But even then it’s only a tiny handful of races that they’re cautious and apprehensive of... namethe ones that are extremely rare and intimidating looking. Drow, tieflings, and somewhat Dragonborn.

Racism isn’t inherently bad DMing, it’s only bad DMing when it removes roleplay options and different character arcs and paths

Namely*

>5. Some races will always be evil and violent and they do not have the agency to change that
Yes, outsiders and aberrations. Nothing with the humanoid tag is "always evil and violent and they do not have the agency to change that."

>Iceland abolishes law which orders Basques to be killed on sight

>Iceland has repealed a 400-year-old law which said Spaniards from the Basque Country should be killed as soon as they set foot in the Westfjords region
>The law, which applied only in Westfjords – a northern peninsula jutting out into the sea, and the most remote part of Iceland – dates back to 1615.
>In that year Basque whalers ran aground in Strandir, in the far north of the Westfjords. The Westfjords sheriff at the time, Ari Magnusson, declared that any Basque people found in the Westfjords could be legally killed on the spot.
>A total of 32 sailors were killed, with murders taking place over a wide swathe of the Westfjords.
>The law has stood ever since

This writeup ignored that the Basques were allegedly preying on isolated locals, but yeah. This isn't outside the realm of realism.

Co-opting for a less obvious and retarded topic than humans personifying near-sentient evil monsters that should be killed on sight.

Why do towns never band together and defend themselves? Why are goblin and kobold and other murderous monster's allowed to breed and stage raids?

Most town's, full of strong-bodied and able people, are so passive that if you set their town on fire it would burn down with no one doing a thing about it.

It'd be like if a modern town was infested with tiger's and everyone threw away their weapons and did nothing.

Attached: 1387341257948.gif (320x180, 1.63M)

It used to be that way in very early editions but the changes that real quick

This is the entire point of the post, user - nobody has the agency to change anything. You do not get to make choices in your lifetime - they will all be made for you by your past and your environment. There is no scientific proof that free will actually exists.

>why is this so common?
Typically because the offended party has been raided, pillaged, attacked or otherwise terrorized by the other race, most likely for a significant amount of time. Im sorry, do you not understand how people work?

Reality is inherently too unrealistic to be used in fiction. This gets brought up at least daily.

This is definitely not true. At least in my games. Cushy city slickers are cucks who can’t defend themselves but small villages?...Those commoner peasants can be very competent fighters

I actually have an adventure for 5e made by Goodman Games. It's about a village with 250 people. When the party gets there, their 15 (Holy shit a lot, but fantasy tropes) town guards, all went missing A WEEK AGO due to goblin raids.

And no one cares, no one is lifting a finger. They had fifteen, armed, trained men get murdered by goblins, and went "Well, better work on muh harvest"

Fair enough, but that's still only one province and seems like it was pretty much just a purge of a handful of people rather than the "if you see a Basque, open fire" being standard law across the known world.

That's because Basque are literally still human, user.

Catalans where also banned from a bunch of places in the balkans.

Can we answer the Spanish question?

So are orcs and tieflings, as they are capable of interbreeding with humans, making them the same race.

>the pitchfork wielding villagers who are obviously in the wrong
Alba gu braith, nigger.

I find it's the other way round myself. In the backwoods, people may argue but they'll accept you. In cities etc you'll be cast out for not adhering to certain idea; cities are largely fractured communities existing individually under a presumed left wing imposed multicultural 'respect' which actually means 'Don't step out of line, or else'.

user, why did you not mention to everyone else that you were using your own personal, non-standard definition of the term?

We all just assumed you were a moron instead of bad at discussion.

This. I've played with some truely fucking disgusting people. I had one guy come in cosplaying as fucking ultraman for some reason, and nobody seemed to think that there was anything wrong with it but me

What's wrong with that?

Ironically historically it was the other way round. Small rurual communities were likely too poor or hadn't enough time to afford weaponry or time to drill. Meanwhile practically all medieval cities had, as part of your legal requirement to be a citizen of that city, a responsibility to maintain arms and armour, to drill and to perform your duties as a militiaman to the extent that people were legally charged and punished for NOT owning swords, armour, polearms, crossbows, muskets, etc.

>spe·cies
>ˈspēsēz,ˈspēSHēz/Submit
>noun
>1.
>BIOLOGY
>a group of living organisms consisting of similar individuals capable of exchanging genes or interbreeding. The species is the principal natural taxonomic unit, ranking below a genus and denoted by a Latin binomial, e.g., Homo sapiens.

Human is a species. Tieflings and orcs are capable of having fecund children with them. Therefore tieflings and orcs are human.

Your country came into existence in the 1800s, after the invention of nationalism. No fucking shit your anthem is nationalist.

If you want "more realistic orc social dynamics" then you would copy the US frontier, where 8 years in 10 the orcs are either busy fucking around in the hills or the biggest problem comes when two orcs get hopped up on firewater and stab each other or burn down an isolated cabin.

But in year 9, the orcs have a new warchief and are burning down towns, and in year 10, the local lord has raised an army to smash and harry the orcs until they move their villages back three days march to the next set of hills.

But in practice this paradigm will be not be noticeably different from what the OP is complaining about, because in-game the PCs are going to show up in year 9 or 10 when you're at war with the orcs.

You know that races and species are different things right?

>there was no nationalism before 1800
Is that a nose or some soy I spy

Hey, anima is a good game despite it being anime incarnate, it's incredibly flexible crunch-wise if you bother reading the rules.

Shut up goy. History began when we started telling it to you. Remember to thank us for telling you your opinion.

>Implying nationalism is bad.

>Imma use scientific defs I don't actually understand
That's not the full definition of species. Interbreeding is one part of it, and not a dealbreaker by any means (although I'll grant you producing fertile offspring generally doesn't happen with complex animals). Also where is it canon that half-orcs are fertile? I've always assumed they aren't, since again that's not how it works. As for tieflings, trying to apply biology when magical otherworldly beings are in the mix is just silly. Half-dragons are a thing too, are you going to claim dragons are human?

Not a fan of history I take it? The concept of the nation-state wasn't really a big deal until the 1800s. That's why you had so many states like poland-lituania or the Hapsburg monarchy that ruled over multiple nations without much in the way of nationalist uprisings against them, as well as why Germany and Italy weren't unified until then.

99% of Kobolds and Satyxis are bloodthirsty raiders that serve an evil dragon god. They're not like Berbers or Norse, they're legit fucking monsters to most people.

In Eberron there are half-orc tribes, I'm pretty sure.

(((history)))

So what, are you telling me that all maps of europe prior to the 1800s were in fact made up by the jews or something and there weren't multinational imperial blobs all over the place?

In real life ya. But we’re talking fantasy world where supposedly(I don’t run this stupid horseshit but some people do) VERY dangerous encounters get rolled like every 2 hours. If the poor defenseless villages had no form of defense?.....there would *be* no village. The larger cities have walls. They’ve gone through the rough and dangerous phases already and have become comfortable...not to say they’re defenseless but unlike the farmers and peasants most people don’t give a shit about martial or magical defensive training unless it’s their profession.

>empires conquered and oppressed nations, using force to keep them in line
>therefore nationalism did not exist