EDH/Commander general

"Wait, what?" edition

Previously: RESOURCES
>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread question
Have you ever caught someone completely off-guard with a wincon and had to explain it in detail?

Attached: 20.jpg (312x445, 52K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kess-duel-commander-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/04-07-17-enchantment-tribal/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/taking-sadism-to-a-whole-new-level/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/my-little-pony-deck/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Shouldn't you explain in detail any wincon that needs it?

Back before the colored mana rule change, when any off color mana you produced turned to colorless, I played against a deck that would use text altering cards to make it impossible for anyone to use colored mana besides him.

>Have you ever caught someone completely off-guard with a wincon and had to explain it in detail?

>Opponent playing an infinite life combo deck
>Playing my new Volrath deck
>My opponent's combo goes off
>My turn
>Swing with Volrath
>He lets it through because he thinks he will win on his next upkeep
>1B: discard Draco
>Hit for lethal
>mfw

Attached: 1422485718356.jpg (338x395, 38K)

Is there a tier list for 1v1 commanders somewhere? My lgs started hosting 1v1 commander and everyone is playing that now, so I want a competitive tier 1 deck that can win.
Edgar Markov seems like a solid choice, but I don't have much experience in 1v1 commander.

Attached: 1520603959764.jpg (878x1160, 268K)

My UW Enchantment Tribal is basically this. I get to explain to the youngin's how Opalescence + Parallax Wave works, pop out Solemnity and either Force Bubble or Decree of Silence, clone Greater Auramancy, or toss down Eidolon of Rhetoric if someone is foolish enough to let me get off Unraveler Jace's Ult.

I'm pretty sure edgar is banned in 1v1

There isn't any fast mana or fun allowed in 1v1, play Talrand Permission, or play the biting gale permission.

What banlist are they using? Hopefully the MTGO one. MTGO is very different from real EDH but at least it isn't like the French 1v1 format where half of the burn spells are banned. (Fireblast is banned, French EDH is the biggest cuck format in the game's history)

>Solemnity
I like you. You try it with Phyrexian Unlife or Delaying Shield yet?

>God Tier
Partners
Breya
>Top Tier
Titania
Zurgo
Baral

Or Dark Depths?

Related question –does Dark Depths have a color identity?

I play this deck too and I love it but it seems to make opponents feel really bad when I permanently exile all their creatures. Not everyone is smart enough to understand the rules.

I use them and it's a nice combo but not as good as I expected.

>Dark
Black color identity of course

Iirc it mentions black so black.

Lists vary, but here's my personal Tier 1 top 5, with reasons for each. Edric would be at the top of the list but you've already mentioned him so I'm not putting him in here

>Vendilion Clique
cheap, flying, unpredictable, abusable ability. best control commander hands down in my opinion

>Edric, Spymaster of Trest
two words: card advantage.

>Narset
self-explanatory

>Sidsi
reanimator.dec

>Azusa, Lost but Seeking
ramp.dec

Living Weapon Equipment don't have a colour identity because the Germ is black in the reminder text right?

Is there any differance on the foiling/card quality of the different Sun Titans?
Does the prerelease or Duel deck versions curl a lot?

Attached: Sun Titan.jpg (251x356, 47K)

Ooh, so it DOES work in Marchesa.

Guess I better slot it in then. Any budget Mardu cards that let me tutor for DD?

Right, but if they didn't keyword it then they would be black.

Can you explain why? I've never been able to pull it off but it seems like a comfy christmasland to declare myself invincible. Does one or the other get nuked quick, or what?

We don't really talk about 1v1 commander here user, the banlist causes a lot of bad feels.

Personally? I run an Uril MLD/Stax list that is really fucking mean 1v1, and outside of sol ring, fits into the MTGO banlist. The deck is simple and strong: ramp hard, cast uril, slap a bunch of cantrip auras on him, and smash face. The stax pieces I run are static orb, winter orb and hall of the gemstones. There's a hatebears subtheme with non-basic land hate. If you get really slick, drop heroic intervention into a "destroy all lands" style effect, and make sure you close out the game. Bend or Break and Nature's Will are very strong.

False, even though it mentions a black token, it's colorless in color identity.
Like Springjack Menace

Attached: c13-326-springjack-pasture.jpg (672x936, 286K)

so in commander, I can only use it in a colorless deck?

Spring jack pasture is white color identity.

It doesn't have a color identity because it doesn't have a colored mana symbol anywhere on it. Mentioning a color doesn't change color identity.

Cleanse is color identity white, not white and black, for example. Sarpadian Empires Vol VII is colorless, it makes tokens of each color but it is not 5 color.

Attached: image.jpg (240x340, 66K)

The issue with Phyrexian Unlife is it doesn't make you immortal, it makes you immortal only in the event you have zero life and only so long as it remains on the field. It's a Lich Trap, basically, and there are easier things to combo Solemnity with to become untouchable until they're removed without the drawback of instant death once they're gone.

I have one and the prerelease printing is fine. I think it curls as much as the pack foils. It's not as bad as FTV, Commander, or new crap. Mine has a slight curl but most of my foils from 8-10 years ago do.

If you're going to namefag, don't be a tard.

It has colourless identity because it neither produces nor requires coloured mana. Dark depths is colourless for the same reason. The colour of the token doesn't matter; only coloured pips outside of rules text are important.

Fantastic bait

Uh no user. You can't include black lands in a white deck, just like you can't include scalding tarn in a red only deck. Shit like this is why I name fag, so my advice gets past the molass of the anonymous shitposting.

I made a Grixis Control deck with Kess as the commander.

It was so strong it killed what little interest my local area had for duel commander.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kess-duel-commander-1/

Get lost with your low tier bait, go shit up some other general with your namefagging.

Thanks for the tip. If you don't mind me asking, who's your commander? I'd love to build a deck around solemnity which doesn't use Zur, since that guy tends to draw hate in my playgroup..

>903.4. The Commander variant uses color identity to determine what cards can be in a deck with a certain commander. The color identity of a card is the color or colors of any mana symbols in that card’s mana cost or rules text, plus any colors defined by its characteristic-defining abilities (see rule 604.3) or color indicator (see rule 204).

Guess what Dark Depths and Springjack Pasture lack? Any of those qualifiers.

Both dark depths and spring jack pasture have a characteristic defining ability that defines a color.

I run Ephara for my Enchantment Tribal. Only ten non-lands that aren't Enchantments. It's mostly a bunch of Exile Enchantments, Nykthos and Serra's Sanctum for massive mana, and a bunch of Pillow Fort effects to make me hard as hell to hit. It's fun times.

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/04-07-17-enchantment-tribal/

And, as the resident sperglord, I'm going to make you look like a jackass, which in turn will make you stop namefaging.

Basic lands read T: add coloured mana. So, a swamp actually reads T: Add B to your mana pool in the oracle text. This means that it produces a specific coloured mana, and is thus limited by colour identity. An island would then read T: Add U, which means it cannot be included in a deck with without blue in it's colour identity. The rules text doesn't determine colour identity, only the produced colour of mana, costs for activating abilities, or converted mana cost count towards colour identity. This is why Crypt Ghast has only black colour idenity: rules text for extort means you can pay white for it, but since it's a keyworded ability, it's not an activated ability.

You can use off colour fetches in any deck, as long as they fetch one colour of your commanders identity. It's weird, but factually correct. Recently, they changed it so you can add rocks that make any colour of mana that can also make off coloured mana, as long as there aren't pips in the ability, but it used to make your commander's colour idenity or colourless for the reasons above.

Now fuck off. I ignored you because you were banal, but don't talk shit if you can't back it up, you attention whore.

Attached: 1494502319824.jpg (600x600, 42K)

The color identity of basic lands is actually specified by rule. This is why youbcant use off color fetches, because they impart their color identity to the fetches.

Jesus, I knew namefaggots were retarded, but seeing it in action is pure cancer.

Nice one sentence that's factually incorrect.

You can run fetches because they don't produce mana, so their identity is colourless. You can't run ABUR duals, because they produce both colours of mana and have a basic land type, which fetches do not. In theory, you could run all the fetches, but you wouldn't be able to grab anything if neither plains nor swamps, for example, exist in your deck.

And for the sake of being pedantic, dual faced cards count both sides as colour identity. Why? Fuck if I know, it's just how it works, the same reason you can't use hybrid costs in a monocolour deck.

Thanks for sharing your list, user. Lots of spicy goodness in here. I appreciate the help!

>Fuck if I know, it's just how it works
READ THE FUCKING RULES

You can run mono colored decks without any basic land types retard. Stop deluding people. I've ran a black decks without any type of swamp in it before.

Do you have the Grave Titan promo too?

This.

Reposting from last, last thread

Orzhov user#9301

I can't seem to friend req you so send me one when you can.

I'd love to meet up at faraos at some point

Attached: Avacyn pretty.jpg (1280x993, 156K)

Namefaggot is not only retarded, but he can't read either, what a surprise, it's not like I expected someone who has "user" on its name to even know what "anonymous" means.

Are you actively trying to be retarded?I never said you couldn't.

Either way, I'll screen cap this and post it whenever you're in a thread, so I suggest you stop namefagging, or accept that you're retarded and no one likes you.

Post 'em senpai, it's a weird exception to the normal rule that I don't know off the top of my head.

Attached: 1491402015825.jpg (604x603, 70K)

What's the best Lily EDH deck?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/taking-sadism-to-a-whole-new-level/

It's this one, isn't it? Damn that flavour is gay as fuck, just like Lily.

Attached: 1518167406135.png (773x715, 1.08M)

Just trolling then? Cool.

Your pedantic little opinion is nothing to me. I'm pretty recognized for the general quality of my advice on teegee, so why don't you fuck off into the refuge granted by being without a name. At least I have the balls to stand behind my advice with an identity.

903.4c, you could google it like normal human being, and please stop feeding the troll.

Nope. That might not be as nice as the prerelease Sun Titan; it came from buying the Xbox game. I've seen it before and remember it being really dark but they might not all be dark.

Where do you think you are?

Post your lists senpai, I want to see what you're running.

Attached: 1516775603154.jpg (375x378, 98K)

No more than fetches do.

>started organizing cards last night
>realizing just how much bullshit I have
I have made a mistake

Attached: IMG_20180314_212738.jpg (4048x1901, 2.14M)

I started with this list as a base (ignore the title). Haven't bothered to make my own updated list on tapped out so changes aren't tracked.

According to the Veeky Forums archive, your first post with that name was March 8th 2018 at 10:04:09.

Attached: 1493213124796.jpg (640x480, 46K)

Post 'em.

Attached: EDH.png (1412x1156, 966K)

Even though you're in a general, using a name has just derailed the thread, because you're making yourself a target rather than being a random idiot, I'd recommend you drop the name unless you really need to be recognised for the conversation.

which is almost NEVER here. The only person I think would need a trip would be if the judge came to visit and tell us we're stupid

What's your least used colour and your favourite commander from that colour?

Forgot the link. tappedout.net/mtg-decks/my-little-pony-deck/

Fucking stop feeding it

Attached: Stalin Suffering.jpg (409x377, 29K)

Clearly he's transcended above us peasants even though he doesn't know how color identity, one of the basic rules of the format, works.
Either way, a shitposter with a name is easy to filter.

Holy shit you guys took this bait hard

Oh, I get it. This guy thinks that CDAs that make tokens apply to the card that makes the tokens (Living Weapons are all Black Color Identity, Day of the Dragons is UR, etc.). Except that's wrong, it's merely pointing out that a token can be created with a CDA defining its color; this does not affect the card creating the token.

The relevant rules:
>604.3. Some static abilities are characteristic-defining abilities. A characteristic-defining ability conveys information about an object’s characteristics that would normally be found elsewhere on that object (such as in its mana cost, type line, or power/toughness box) or overrides information found elsewhere on that object. Characteristic-defining abilities function in all zones. They also function outside the game.
>604.3a A static ability is a characteristic-defining ability if it meets the following criteria: (1) It defines an object’s colors, subtypes, power, or toughness; (2) it is printed on the card it affects, it was granted to the token it affects by the effect that created the token, or it was acquired by the object it affects as the result of a copy effect or text-changing effect; (3) it does not directly affect the characteristics of any other objects; (4) it is not an ability that an object grants to itself; and (5) it does not set the values of such characteristics only if certain conditions are met.

Now are you going to admit you're wrong, or insist literally every judge that's ever weighed in on the subject is wrong and you're the only person who's right?

The rule you quoted actually supports my case, retard-kun

Jokes on you, by digging into the rules to figure out whether you were bullshitting or not I came away from this encounter better off than I was before. You have improved me, sir Troll, and as such I thank you.

Attached: Troll.jpg (223x310, 29K)

Except you're falling for people who are making shit up about the rules to stir things up. Don't listen to anyone anonymously quoting rules to you.

that deck list, my sides, ty tripfag

Garbage and cancer, you're a real asset to MTG and your community.

So Deathmark is Abzan?

Fuck you this format is not vintage singleton.

>Thread Q

I recently played my Yasova theft deck with my friend, Slivers, and his board state was much better than mine. Last turn, he used his Amoeboid Changeling and took my commander with his Overlord. I drew into a Hypnotic Siren and enchanted his Sliver Overlord and used Ral Zarek's ultimate to get myself 1 extra turn with like 2 loyalty left. Then I just bashed him with own commander then bolted him with Ral.

Has anyone here ever drafted a card that they wouldn't otherwise use in said draft because they wanted it for commander?

This. You don't just throw the cards on the table and say "I win". Not only you have to show that you know how the combo works, but also you need to play the loop once to give the other players the chance to respond.

Not really. If it's a commander card they are usually dirt cheap anyway

Of course
Several ascend cards for example

And your deck doesn't even follow the rules of this format.

I guess you never have heard of rare-drafting.

Sure thing.

Attached: decks.png (1616x1260, 2.12M)

Incorrect. There is currently a discussion on the commander website to actually ban the usage of fetches outside of their assumed color combinations.

I do here and there, but a few weeks ago I was in a draft with a couple guys who were only in it for money and ended up seated between them.

It was such a miserable experience, I just quit caring, and ended up getting nothing I wanted from any of it.

Kinda killed my urge to draft at all anymore.

On the one hand, it's kind of dumb, because you can easily end up with a fetch that calls up a color you don't need at the moment.

On the other hand, it would open up a couple slots in my Gitrog deck for other stuff, so whatever.

I once assembled an infinite-turns combo and my opponents had no means to respond, but those casuals still asked me to play it all out instead of conceding right away. I spent the next 10 minutes taking turns, destroying stuff with Lux Cannon, and assembling an army before killing them in combat. Real players would've given up earlier. It was a huge pain in the ass but also kinda fun

This is why I only draft with friends. And usually one person buys the box, and since all the cards are his or hers, we have absolutely no reason to draft a foil Jace if not to play it or prevent someone from playing it. Also, the person who buys the packs gets to choose what we draft.

When I play with brainlets that don't redraft, yes of course.

What decks would want the golden guardian and it's landside?
Golgari tokens?

Attached: rix-179-golden-guardian.jpg (672x936, 236K)

I 100% guarantee that there is not. Post a link.

ive never drafted as it just seems boring as fuck but if i did i absolutely would take a card i need for a commander deck or if it would pay for the packs

unironically goes good in brion so when you steal peoples shit with threaten effects you can either kill them with your golem if brion is dead and cant swing or their card will will the golem giving you things to fling

I'm lookin to build something fun and not oppressive but I haven't been playing much EDH.

Attached: cummander.png (1454x584, 1.37M)

>see namefag
>filter namefag

>another case of people on Veeky Forums being retarded
Posting this again:

>604.3. Some static abilities are characteristic-defining abilities. A characteristic-defining ability conveys information about an object’s characteristics that would normally be found elsewhere on that object (such as in its mana cost, type line, or power/toughness box) or overrides information found elsewhere on that object. Characteristic-defining abilities function in all zones. They also function outside the game.

The key point is that it refers to STATIC ABILITIES, not activated or triggered abilities. Since dark depths, pasture, fetches etc. do not have STATIC ABILITIES mentioning that the cards are a certain color. This means they do not influence color identity.

an example of a characteristic defining ability is that of Transguild Courier in its non-oracle version, or the legendary characteristic of the Temmet token

It's a discussion where one side is retarded though. By the logic of a brainlet that wants to keep mono white from playing Arid Mesa, Boil would only be playable in decks that could play red and blue.

So /edhg/ i heard you were looking at doomsday piles last thread...

Attached: file.png (223x310, 136K)

ignore the terrible grammar.

STOP FUCKING REPLYING TO THE NAMEFAG HOLY SHIT

YOU IMMENSE RETARDS

He is replying himself at this point.