Why would you use city-states and not kingdoms and empires?

Why would you use city-states and not kingdoms and empires?

Attached: fantasy_city_by_jbrown67-dby6t2e.jpg (1024x475, 85K)

......because their self contained......
/thread

City-states make sense in areas with plenty of potentiam (sea) trade. They need an steady source of income.

i always use the three together, why limit oneself ?

Countries and kingdoms haven't been invented yet.
We're in ancient mesopotamia, the cradle of mankind.
The closest you get is one city state imposing tribute on another, or an alliance.

Feudal and imperial systems of heirarchal national and societal governance and organisation are my magical realm

Because variety is fun?

>Their
>A lot of dots
>/Threads his own post

You might have a point but you're so new it makes me sick.

Attached: 1509000771226.jpg (453x439, 85K)

Because my game is set in late-medieval central Italy.

Reasons...

1. City states are easier to write if you either do not know how feudalism works or do not care to say how feudalism works in your campaign.
2. City states have a lower bar problems they can't fix themselves. Thus a lower bar for PC's to save the local area.
3. City states are normally weaker then kingdoms thus can be threatened by them.

I feel they are good to highlight the feel of different eras- classical swords and sandals, and enlightement era political playing pieces.

Because now the PCs can forge them into an empire.

U mad

Attached: 1289685591795.jpg (256x353, 17K)

Got any hierarchy trees that I can fap to?

Attached: Family tree of Aubry the Pious.png (4901x9113, 359K)

Attached: blackprince-sm.png (800x324, 172K)

Gotta keep that blood pure...

Attached: pp98Z2I[1].png (3168x3168, 566K)

i just think they're neat

Look up Charles II of Spain

They're the most likely result in an area where monsters and the like are common. A centralized government of any sort above the size of a major city would be next to impossible when orcs and the like are a common thing.

To make the politics of the setting more complex, and give the PCs the ability to ditch one city for another if something goes wrong.

Attached: city7.jpg (1075x2048, 438K)

>Why would you use city-states and not kingdoms and empires?

Because the world suffers periodic cataclysms that throw the civilized people to the brink of extinction, and we're at one of those points where a scattered array of city-states is the only thing that stands between us and extinction, but the ruins of the great age before are full of lost treasures just waiting to be found.

PDF related.

Attached: The Original D&D Setting.pdf (PDF, 2M)

Some god is being an asshole and funding every two bit rebellion with powerful ghost rebels and demons of freedom

The Romans handled it pretty well all things considered