I need inspiration for a game involving a bunch of northern/eastern european folk/fairy tales I'm thinking of running...

I need inspiration for a game involving a bunch of northern/eastern european folk/fairy tales I'm thinking of running. Give me your best faeries, witches and other weird folksy shit

Attached: DYdqvdOVwAIRz5-.jpg (707x900, 130K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neck_(water_spirit)
amazon.com/Russian-Fairy-Illustrated-Alexander-Afanasyev/dp/1908478683
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogatyr
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Attached: DYdqxQ9VQAYrtKg.jpg (500x505, 72K)

Attached: DYdq79rU8AAJWrT.jpg (700x550, 60K)

Attached: DYdq0EiU0AA7vJ5.jpg (800x661, 81K)

Attached: chudo yudo.png (2134x1200, 2.33M)

Attached: silin and alconost.png (2134x1200, 2.74M)

Attached: magura.png (2134x1200, 2.8M)

Attached: 1479311805914.jpg (1280x720, 254K)

Attached: vazila.png (1956x1100, 2.12M)

Attached: queen_card_by_excrem-davwqjf.jpg (978x817, 125K)

Attached: triglava.png (2134x1200, 2.25M)

Attached: badzula.png (2134x1200, 1.35M)

Attached: hovala.png (2134x1200, 2.32M)

Attached: zibolchnik.png (1956x1100, 1.37M)

Attached: ichetik.png (1600x900, 1.51M)

Attached: pharaonkas.png (1700x956, 1.7M)

Attached: firebird.png (1600x900, 1.88M)

Attached: boginki.png (1956x1100, 1.65M)

>Dude, what the fuck you doing with my catch?

Attached: drevobog.png (1778x1000, 1.9M)

>where are the fish?
>uhhhh, sexy merman stole them?

A lot of fairytales and superstitions seem focused around spinning for some reason

Attached: kikimora.png (1100x1606, 1.95M)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neck_(water_spirit)

This should start you off just fine OP

Attached: semargl.png (2133x1200, 2.51M)

water spirits that lure people to their deaths are my favourite 'keep away from the fucking river you retard' stories

Attached: hamayuin.png (1800x1013, 1.78M)

Attached: baba yaga.png (1400x1921, 2.19M)

Well he'l also teach you to play music!
Sure you won't be able to stop yourself from playing the music, nor would anyone who hears it stop themselves from dancing until they die off exhaustion (Tho if you somehow manage to cut the strings of the instrument with a blade of iron it'l break the enchantment)

before you ask yes those are his eyelids

Attached: viy.png (1200x1686, 2.48M)

Attached: bolotniza.png (1800x1125, 2.16M)

Attached: huhlik.png (1000x1084, 1011K)

I can give you another one called the Skogsrå or Skogsfru (Forest-gibberish or Forest-wife).
Now these are kind of a dryad/succubus thing living in the woods.

While they might at first seem like your average beautiful (occasionally naked) woman out and about in the woods, their backs are hollow and barky... They also sometimes have a tail like a fox or cat.

Now they are lonely ladies and are very happy for some (preferably male) company, and will be very happy if you are polite, call them beautiful and generally refer to mention the fact they they don't have backs and do have tails.

If you do they might decide to help you out, if you go hunting there will always be an abundance of animals, fish in the sea and good harvests... If you are not polite, you and yours will probably starve to death.

There is, however, another complication... They are very lonely ladies, and since the two of you seem to be getting along so well she will probably want to keep meeting up and perhaps down the line fuck. Now as said, upsetting them is a bad idea, going along with it is a worse one as any man who lays with a Rå will grow as obsessed with her as she is with him, and each time they screw there will be a little less of the man returning home until one day he won't and the corpse will be found slumped by some tree while a beautiful woman can be heard crying in anguish nearby...

Afanasyev's book is a must: amazon.com/Russian-Fairy-Illustrated-Alexander-Afanasyev/dp/1908478683
There are 600 fairy tales with plenty of characters to drag inspiration of. Also note the beautiful immersive illustrations by Alexander Bilibin.

I also recommend to check out Bogatyrs section of faity tales. Bogatyrs basically are super-powered warriors: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogatyr The central figure here is Ilya Muromets, so start lurking from him.

Attached: Vasilisa-663x837.jpg (663x837, 187K)

well hot damn that's going straight into the campaign

I'm going to be using Call of Cthulu with the players being a group of investigators solving crimes within a fictional baltic country that still keeps the old pagan ways. Gonna homebrew up a bunch folk-creatures

Glad you like it, here's another one. The titular Nightmare, the "Nattmara".

In some stories the spirit of a young woman who died before marriage, in others a curse bestowed upon the daughter if the mother dabbled in witchcraft (boys became werewolves.
In this case they are just like werewolves in that they transform during night and have no idea themselves) Nattmaran is a shapeshifter which enters the houses and bedrooms of people through the keyhole of the doors and then sat upon her victims chest, tormenting them with nightmares, chest pains, difficulties to breath and other such things, occasionally even killing the victim in their sleep.

It should also be noted that if they could not get to any people, or was discovered doing so, she might go after cattle instead in which case they preferred tormenting horses more then anything else.

Attached: Nattmara.jpg (640x517, 47K)

It's a good trick.

Attached: angery in bed.jpg (240x240, 10K)

its traditionally a womans job and most supernatural things do tend to be, prefer or take the form of females for one reason or another so it makes sense that a womans job becomes connected with the supernatural.

For some reason the majority of goblins/fey in Spain tend to be related to women, or more precisley, Jailbait aged girls.
Like the treanty. Think a leashy of the slav myths, a fucker than mess with sheperd and can help him recover a sheep one day and throw pebbles to him the next, protects animals from humans or other fey like the Ojancano and works. But he is more know because he will be a little pervert to girls than go to the forest, from flipping they skirts to any little act to embarass them.
The tentirujo is another one. He is know to have a little bright red xapela and gets the power of turning itself invisible using a baby mandragora. For what uses his power you will think. To Masturbate jailbait girls its the answer. He will turn itself invisible and stalks girls (preferable a quiet, timid girl) than goes to the forest, fondle them while invisible and then disapear. When a reclused, proper girls turned itself into a boisterous and lewd one the villagers said she had met a tentirujo.

Attached: Trenti_.jpg (500x580, 218K)

Puberty is caused by goblins? I knew Labyrinth was onto something.

Pale Man is totally going to be an encounter, no way that fucker doesn't cause sanity damage

I meant Labyrinth, the Jim Henson movie, not the Labyrinth of Pan, the Guillermo del Toro movie. Which is nice on a weird fairytale viewpoint too, but doesn't cause as much puberty.

what you're saying this piece of ass doesn't get you going?

Attached: pale-man.jpg (400x300, 29K)

Nucklavee, sea spirit that kills livestock and crops. Can't cross fresh water.

Attached: nuckelavee_by_vulpes_ibculta-dbpgvs3.jpg (756x1055, 149K)

In a different way.

Vodyanoy, a slavic water spirit that rules over a given lake or river. He's not necessarily evil, but can be very dangerous if you don't appease him, causing floods and drownings. He can also pull people down to his underwater palace to serve him as slaves (getting them back could be a fun idea for a quest).

Attached: Vodyanoy.jpg (1200x1560, 322K)

Don't know much about eastern folklore, but might as well say what I know about Breton tales.
Now, Bretons are celts so a lot of it interlaps with folklore from Great Britain.

>The Ankou. Servant to Death, looks a lot like the classical grim reaper (with a cart to transport the souls, much more practical, and a nifty big hat) but is explicity not Death itself.

>Korrigans are the name for generic lutins. They do stuff like lose travellers in the woods/bogs with their lights, make you dance til you die, and grant wishes.

>Margot the fairy is not *A* fairy. It's a type of fairy called Margot the fairy. Powerful earth fairies, will help farmers and people of the land if you leave them food/offerings and don't offend them. They live in megalithic places and love to dance. Honestly they have a bunch of powers and can do almost anything so leave them food, you're better off not angering them, especially since they're usually nice.
Note that Breton fairies aren't miniature girls with insect wings. They look like normal sized human women with a lot of power (though they can shapeshift).

>Sea cave fairies. They live, well, in sea caves, usually in groups. Despite this, they are vulnerable to salt (why are they living in sea caves then? No idea.). Their way of living is fancy and higher class than the Margot the fairy. They really decorate the heck out of those sea caves. Otherwise they're more or less a coastal version of them.

Attached: ankou.jpg (286x354, 27K)

>Night washerwomen. Grim ghosts that go wash the bloody sheets of murdered people, at night. If you see them, never agree to help them wring their laundry. If you do, and you by mistake do it the wrong way, it's your body that's going to end up wrung.

That's cause women tend to talk more about shit and a lot of it is made up bull. Not saying men don't just that a dude talking about the weird shit he's put his dick in is easier to laugh down than the woman saying fairies fixed their shoes.

Yan-gant-y-tan or 'Wanderer in the Night' wanders the nights in Finistère, France. He holds five candles on the five fingers of his right hand (like the Hand of Glory) and spins them about like a flaming wheel, as a result of which he is unable to turn quickly for fear of extinguishing their light. A sure way to ward off him is to leave a small bag of gold or of gold chain around a travellers post which he will take and leave for another day.

Attached: Yan-gant-y-tan.png (300x349, 114K)

why do you need to ward him off?

the black death killed literally over 60% of norways population

Attached: 3acfv8wbciky[1].jpg (985x1193, 381K)

Theodor Kittelsen has some nice atmospheric works.
His personification of the black death seems a bit silly in some of them though.

The Shadowmoor block from Magic: the Gathering draws upon a lot of various folk-lore, you can probably use it to find different things to look further into.

Attached: standard_svartedauden__e2_80_93_1_1.jpg (1000x574, 207K)

>please stop reading my diary
>you are the worst passenger I've ever had

Not quite as traditional as the others but these have the right feel

Attached: walt mcdougall forest dragon.jpg (800x592, 207K)

Attached: walkt mcdougall cave thing.jpg (800x566, 150K)

Attached: walt mcdougall paulines camera.jpg (800x503, 131K)

Attached: walt mcdougall hierophant.jpg (800x627, 218K)

aaa!
horror and dread

That mouth seems to be designed for a very specific purpose, but I'm not sure what.

Looks like he took it from an old nutcracker.
At first I thought it had something to do with electricity.

it sort of looks like a bottle opener

Or a pair of coal tongs.

Whoa, that handsome old man looks nothing like the Baba Yaga