How would you build a character who practices kendo?

How would you build a character who practices kendo?

Attached: tropes_tamaki_394.jpg (350x416, 126K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordhau_(weaponry)
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

as a regular fighter with a two handed sword.

Having a katana doesnt make him special

>tfw the first post is the best post

I'm not talking about weapons, a shinai could represent any average sword. I'm talking about abilities, etc.

Kendo isn't all applicable for actual combat, user; too formularize and with no real emphasis on defense.

Maybe get a helmsplitter feat if your system got one.

then he has this really dumb combat style that doesnt actually do offense and yells a whole lot for no reason.

take it from me user, Kendo is overrated as shit kinda like katanas

correction
>doesnt actually do defense

So a glazs cannon with all offense and no defense, got it

Not even that; the precursors of kendo started cropping up in the Edo period, basically as a means for samurai to feel like they were still manly warriors and all that. Same reason there's stuff like Iaijutsu.
Incidentally, this is also the period when the whole fetishization of the katana started, for pretty much the same reason.

So literally Japanese jousting.

yeah, only dumber, cause you could use jousting as military practice for cavalry charges.

Make a character that doesn't do shit, there you now know Kendo

Pretty much, only more ritualized, to the point of it being more about showing of your form than actually being a capable fighter.

The only samurai of that period who actually practiced for actual combat were bodyguards and ronin.

Skill: kendo.

I though ronin were hobos?

Kendo is a martial sport, not a hard martial art. Nothing with "-do" at the end of its name is a hard martial art. If you want to build a samurai master swordsman, build a samurai master swordsman, but realize that he won't be practicing kendo, he'll be practicing the lethal ancestor of kendo actually intended for mortal combat, (called "kenjutsu" if you want to be even more of a weeb than you already are.)

Attached: rage-quit.png (398x584, 445K)

Jousting is literally nothing like a cavalry charge. Dueling and fighting in a group are very different in terms of technique, and you're never going to duel on charging horses except in the context of jousting.

Yes and no.
They often served as hired muscle for the various zaibbatsu to protect their caravans from bandits, since the authorities didn't give a fuck about protecting filthy merchants.

The other kind went from village to village starting shit until someone paid them to fuck off.

kinda, compare them with the Hedge Knights you see in ASOIAF

Human Commoner
Classless
INT 10
WIS 10
CHA 10
STR 10
DEX 12
CON 5
HP 3
Proficiency: Bokuto (1d3/1d4 bludgeoning, 1x critical)

Wonder how that would be to play

Most martial arts are like that.

But yeah, kendo doesn't have a lot to distinguish it from any other way of wielding a sword. Even in Japanese works where there's a number of famous techniques like "draw your sword really fast", "cut through steel", "parry bullets with your sword", etc. they're usually treated as a matter of skill rather than the Japanese ways being inherently superior (which is weird, because "the Japanese ways are inherently superior" is otherwise pretty popular, and gets applied to the actual swords all the time).

The most distinctive feature of Japanese swordfighting is iaijutsu, but everyone trained in that; they just didn't romanticise it as much as Japan does.

Sounds like an ancient mafia/gang.

Actually, despite being a probably shit character to play, this has given me a great idea for an NPC character.

>I'm talking about abilities, etc.
Kendo literally means way of the sword, so a kendo artist would be your average (sword)fighter.

>because "the Japanese ways are inherently superior" is otherwise pretty popular
It's odd how often this is applied to cooking (in manga at least). Japanese cooking is always inherently better, to the point where foreigners/other worlders are even surprised by how great their plain, white rice tastes. It's like only the French are spared in this culinary onslaught, and mostly because they do things differently (it's often brought up how the Japanese seek to preserve the taste of veggies whereas the French seek to transform the taste through addition of other ingredients... which calls into question why Japanese cooking is considered so great in isekai when it's entirely dependent on the availability of high quality fresh produce and technically speak the French transformative methods work better with low quality products but w/e).

Attached: 542986c1bcdfd51fd7c672e2ab2f40a0[1].jpg (1007x1433, 342K)

I would give him a point or two in Combat Sport (Kendo).

probably just copy Unohana from bleach and be done with it.

Attached: 1.jpg (1280x720, 128K)

idk user, besides all the fish, Japanese food usually looks pretty God damn delicious in anime and in reality.

It does seem like they value cooking more then the rest does.

To be honest Japanese cooking just IS better. I've been to Japan, everything there was delicious, EVERYTHING.

From the shitty convenience store food, to the mom and pop shops to the high end restaurants. France was similar.

England however was garbage no matter where I ate.

>England however was garbage no matter where I ate.
This isn't wrong
t. Brit

In Heaven, the chefs are French, the mechanics German, the lovers Italian, the policeman English, and it's all organized by the Swiss. In Hell, the chefs are English, the mechanics French, the lovers Swiss, the policeman German, and it's all organized by the Italian.

Kendo is functionally just sport fencing for Nips. As a combat style it would suck cock because it's focused entirely on landing the first scoring hit even if it means you get hit afterwards. You could maybe make a berserker style character who took their kendo experience and went "Yeah fuck it, this works" and just attacks with no real worry about defense and wears full heavy armor to compensate.

>To be honest Japanese cooking just IS better
Yeah, you're not wrong given that the two cities with the most Michelin stars are both Japanese, but still.

Tamaki, Kendo Practicioner
Lvl 1 commoner
STR 16 (+3)
CON 11 (+0)
INT 12 (+1)
WIS 9 (-1)
DEX 14 (+2)
CHA 11 (+0)

HP 3
ATK +0 (+3 melee)(+2 ranged)
AC 12 (+2 leather armor)

CMB +3
CMD 15

FORT +0
WILL +0
REF +0

SKILLS:
Perception(WIS)
Profession(Baker)(WIS)
Climb(STR)

FEATS:
Martial Weapon Proficiency(Bokken)

POSSESSIONS:
Bokken (1d6 B, x2)
Leather armor

Courtesy of the Shitfinder game system

Kendo is pretty close to most western sword fighting schools, just without most of the moves associated with using the cross-guard as a weapon and half-swording.

Attached: Longsword vs katana.jpg (870x4454, 764K)

Now that's just unfair, nothing can beat a faceless knight with a fuckhuge sword.

>Mordhau was a technique so deadly, it was forbidden even on the field of battle
Oi I'm laffin'.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordhau_(weaponry)
eheh heh

Don't forget to end him rightly.

Attached: End Him Rightly.gif (480x270, 1.68M)

yeah, they look pretty they also break after every serious usage

Are you talking about kitchen knives? Because I have heard that (compared to French/German brands like Diamant-Sabatier), top of the line Japanese kitchen knives are sharper but also more fragile.

This. I don't understand the weeb mentality when it comes to katanas. It's essentially either a long sword or bastard sword, depending on how it's stated.

>I don't understand the weeb mentality when it comes to katanas
An unfortunate combination of factors. On the one hand westerners hyped it up because by the time Japan opened up to the outside world (19th century), the West (especially France) was fully enthralled by orientalism. Given that industrialized folks entered some magical feudal kingdom seemingly untouched by time, it created great enthusiasm for samurai and their weapons. On the other hand, by WW2 the Japanese were fed copious amounts of propaganda about samurai, the bushido code et cetera, which would even after WW2 translate to their media.

So you get Japanese overhyping their sharp, metal sticks to a Western audience already sensitive to the overhyping of Japanese sharp, metal sticks. What surprises me is that Chinese and Korean weapons never had the same hype. Maybe it's because Japan was more effective in cultural projection due to actually being able to compete with Western colonial entities while China was still a backwater and Korea effectively a Japanese colony.

Typical duelist, but using two-handed swords instead of rapiers/fencing stuff. Probably abilities related to one-on-one combat and called shots.

Probably because Korean swords were destroyed en-mass during the occupation user
Hard to popularise something that got atomised

Is that so? Why was that? Were the Japanese facing an iron shortage and then decide to melt all the Korean swords they could get their hands on?

Attached: MY SIDES.jpg (225x225, 12K)

Why the hell would CON be so low?

>no real emphasis on defense
You don't score a point if you get hit, and a valid strike has to be followed with a defensive maneuver - either moving out of engagement reach or closing so they can't hit you or locking swords.

The goal or philosophy of kendo is to kill your opponent safely in a single strike, but to achieve that you give up on the idea of defense. That's partly because it's a sport, but you can't deny that it's hard for someone to hit you if they're dead.

>everything there was delicious, EVERYTHING
Did you eat a sandwich? Never eat a sandwich in Japan

Some sort of performance skill more than combat. People have lost tournaments for fighting like they mean it as opposed to having perfect poise and doing each move exactly as intended.

Give the character a couple of points in sword skill. A little less than if they'd spent the equivalent time practising kenjutsu or hema, more than if they'd spent the equivalent time practising western fencing. Also give them a tough skull and an immunity to intimidation via shouting, since you get battered over the head and screamed at a lot.

t. 10 years kendofag

Just give them Combat Sport (Kendo), or alternatively just Sports (Kendo).

I mean coming from America that's not saying much.

America and other similar countries are well known to have absolutely horrid eating habits. And I don't mean getting fat, just we don't care about taste and almost everything is prepackaged/frozen even restaurants are pretty shit.
Comparing seafood places in America, even some of the better ones on the coast to the ones I've eaten in Korea is just completely incomparable.

Japanese pizza is trash though. Many Italians say Americans butcher pizza, but every time Japan tries to make a pizza an old Italian gradma sheds a single garlic-smelling tear.

There's also the matter of beef thats a problem for some in japan. Because beef wasnt originally very popular in japan in terms of taste, most chefs made techniques to cook beef the least possible so it woulnt be the equivalent of gamey to them. This means that a lot of beef restaurants while delicious are very different from how most of us eat beef. Considering i think the gamiest the meat is, the better, it wasnt my cup of tea however the ingredients were top fucking notch. Fat so amazing it melted under your fingers.

Swordsage.

The saddest thing is that guan dao are sexier than every yari. And probably every falchion or whatever from Europe.

There, I said it.

>I think somehow China got the martial arts thing more than blades thing, it this makes any sense. Japs do have karate but it never was THAT mythicized ad shaolin and kung fu. Poor koreans never stood a chance.

To be fair generally asians are smart enough not to confuse their unholy abominations (and I REALLY mean unholy) with actual pizza and when they go foodie they're dedicated. Americans, not so much, tough to their credit shit is getting better.

The thing about pizza is that it's supposed to be fucking simple, guys. And the bread is everything. It should be something really low and soft, but even if you don't give a fuck about that (shit's not exactly hate cuisine anyway) it's still basically bread, not whatever you put on the top of it.

>t. actual italian, tough luckily not from Napoli

Are Swiss stereotypically bad lovers?

>katanas
>overrated
reddit is the other way

Swiss are soulless money-making machines, user. Everybody in Europe will agree on that.

>the french ineptitude with gears might be more surprising

The word you're looking for is Yakuza, and most of the modern members, or at least the head honchos, can trace their lineage to the Samurai.

Commoner with proficiency in performance

Kendo is so far divorced from actual fighting that it isn't even a related proficiency.

The only places you would know how to hit are the head and hands, you would have no concept of edge alignment, not be used to the weight of the weapon, not have any defensive capabilities... Kendo has nothing to do with fighting.

Japanese/French fusion is so good though, it is a shame the chefs hate each other so much they don't do it more often.

pic related

Attached: rice is FUCKING delicious.png (529x261, 8K)

I'm sorry you've only ever had shit rice
pro-tip: not all of the parts of a dish are visible

roll to attack

>Many Italians say Americans butcher pizza,
Because American and classic Italian pizzas are almost completely different animals.
The Italian idea of Pizza is closer to a pie with tomato sauce as the filling, and cheese is right out of the question.

That is just absolute bullshit

Cheese has been used on pizza since the 1800s and mozzarella on pizza is EVERYWHERE in italy. They don't have cheese on every pizza but Margherita is by far the most popular pizza among italians.

It is also served on crispy flatbread and does not resemble a pie at all.

I just finished a session of kendo practice and everything you just said is wrong

>someone who doesn't do kendo

Didn't you know? Everyone on the internet is an armchair martial artist.

>closes youtube video about kendo basics
>As an experienced kendo practitioner...

Mozzarella isn't cheese. Or to be more precise, while it technically is, in Italy there is a distinct difference between pasta filata cheese and normal cheese, you don't even eat them the same way (mozzarella is put as it is with salads, "real" soft cheeses aren't).

And the bread shouldn't be (too) crispy.

>no, I'm no pizza nazi and I didn't flinch when the french came out with the new carbonara shitstorm. The hell, I like pizza on soft focaccia-like cheese, but still, words are words and not every cheese is "real" pizza cheese.

You don't need to go on the internet and tell people you just finished wasting your time.

>bamboo blade
how old are you /op/?

Attached: FsDrg0BoZ3ZnJTZbVTKF6JdEovJ-zSva1A3mmYdc9_4.png (811x767, 413K)

Bamboo blade isn't old, it came out in 2007
I'm only 20

To be fair, Japan puts a lot of emphasis on cooking. Food is a big part of any culture, but it's a massive cultural part of Japan, and most Asian cultures in general. They fucking love good food

Knowing how manga works, unless that knight is a protagonist showing off his skills against one of the villains, the katana wielder likely turns the tables and wins in the end, it never ends well for the faceless villains who gloat about how strong they are.

Yeah, she probably cuts his sword in two as well.

Being sickly is moe.

Attached: 1515365229667.jpg (850x1200, 199K)

NO, BAD SWORDSMAN. NO HALFSWORDING, NAUGHTY.

Most forms of sport fencing, user, not most general martial arts.
Iaijutsu and Iaido are very different. One is meant to be used as a last resort in a situation you are caught in a fight without a weapon at the ready, the other is a ritualistic discipline abstracted from this concept. You are speaking about the latter.
Fun fact, honcho is a word we stole from Japanese.
Finally someone who actually knows what they are talking about.
I'll admit I've only eaten in various parts of America, France, Italy, and Japan, but far and away French and Japanese food make the rest look like a joke. The exception is Italian wine.
I once went to a restaurant in Kyoto that called itself French ramen. The menu had a really unusual blend of French soup and ramen noodles.

>the french ineptitude with gears might be more surprising
I never get where that reputation comes from, given that their most famous national monument was built purely because they could. It was an homage (and intended to only be temporary) to what modern science and engineering could achieve, and at the time the highest building in the world.

>The only places you would know how to hit are the head and hands

There are four scoring targets; the head, wrist (preferably their right), throat and just below the ribs (preferably on their right, where they wouldn't be protected by their sheath). Those were chosen partly because they all take away your ability to fight and partly because they can be practised safely on. If you take someone who's been doing kendo for a while and tell them they're no longer restricted to those targets then that's not a challenge, that's fucking Christmas.

>you would have no concept of edge alignment

The shinai, while having a round handle and four sides to the blade, has a big yellow string to represent the back of the sword. If you strike your opponent so that the edge alignment would be visibly off, the cut does not count. Moreover, an actual sword has an oval grip, making it easier to direct than a shinai shich gives no tactile feedback as to its alignment. The extra rigidity of the katana compared to flexible european swords also makes it more forgiving in terms of edge alignment (while also making it far more likely to become unusable in battle if whacked on the side).

>not be used to the weight of the weapon

This is entirely true, although training with an extra-large bokuto during solo practise will emulate the weight of a steel sword.

>Not have any defensive capabilities

Not true. Parries and counterattacks aren't encouraged until you're a few years into kendo, but they're a huge part of higher-level practise. The reason they don't get taught early is that if you can't do a cut as part of a simple attack, there's no way that you can prompt an opponent to attack and then correctly counter it with a quality cut.

>Kendo has nothing to do with fighting

I'm a prison guard and I've seen and been in plenty of fights. A couple of years of kendo won't help you much, but I find that eight years helped me immensely.

This I do another martial art with a lot of sword work and a lot of what kendo does would get you killed in a actual sword fight.

Honestly the European longsword is just so much more interesting when compared to a katana.

And is literally better when compared against each other as a sidearm.

You mean some worthless bint that was chumped off to give a shitty one-note character a powerup?

What manga is it though?

Reincarnation no Kaben. Probably.

They also have a decent national history of car and planemaking. Maybe the average Jean in the countryside can't repair for shit?

I dunno, it's not like you can't find problems with their attitude or something.

>still like you frenchbros, sometime I feel i'm the only italian left doing it. But THAT wasn't a carbonara.

not.

>Most martial arts are like that.
Actual kickboxer / submission wrestler here. What you just said only applies to bad martial arts practiced by stupid people. (IE: Kung fu, other wushu shit, filipino garbage etc etc) Defense is just as important as offense, if not more important in most martial arts.

He's gotta be a fucking idiot. Anyone who did any form of actual martial arts knows that defense is the main priority, and that offense is a secondary part of the technique.

Well, sorta. There's not really much defense intended when you're throwing a rear high kick.

Though there's still a defense-minded focus there. Which is why your coach is going to be grilling you about distance, retraction speed and keeping that fucking hand up when you throw it. By demonstrating a counter on you with enough force to make you feel stupid.

Yeah, which is why you don't throw rear-high kicks unless your out of options. Preferably, you allow your opponwnt to come at you, perform an outsode block, and nail his throat.

Okay, kung-fucktard or Krav Mongoloid confirmed.

No, you throw the rear high kick on an open opponent (Or by setting it up on a competent one) to put him to sleep.

This works excellently in a multitude of situations because the rear high kick (especially some variants like the spinning hook kick) is the most powerful attack you can throw at someone.

Attached: head kicks are useless and impractical in a REAL fight, I would just kick you in the balls and gouge (400x224, 1.36M)

>No, you throw the rear high kick on an open opponent (Or by setting it up on a competent one) to put him to sleep.
I thought we were talking about combat having been engaged.

Katsu-sandos are heavenly, though. Mai-sen in Tokyo, best pork sandwiches I've ever had.