/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Kaiserschlacht Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/gdvadj7t6l5w6/Aero_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/6jrcg496e7vnb/Avalon Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mediafire.com/folder/j962ws6h50bqj/Victory_Games
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Attached: DV7Rh4MWkAIzRt_.jpg (1200x729, 174K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mega.nz/#F!D1dHQZCJ!V9pYq0CUc4iCrNiOcBOBtg
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mega.nz/#F!O1cUGTRL!4FSvbQTXjmRTz1TfVXqxLw
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/file/qta4154r7wqbjtd/S&T 083 - The Kaiser's Battle.pdf
mediafire.com/file/h3wu87l14anhosb/Osprey - ELI 084 - Trench Warfare WWI (2) 1916-18.pdf
mediafire.com/file/6c6ntmi65biepxn/Osprey - MAA 402 - The British Army In World War I (2) The Western Front 1916-18.pdf
mediafire.com/file/gdhn62n8bdtkeav/Osprey - MAA 419 - The German Army In World War I (3) 1917-18.pdf
mediafire.com/file/s877p9mr169trsf/Osprey_-_WAR_012_-_German_Stormtrooper_1914-18.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_War
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4688/angola
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/14836/angola
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/155414/angola
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5956/south-africa
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/31846/liberia-descent-hell-liberian-civil-war-1989-1996
aandaminiatures.co.uk/categories/?c=3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
>GMT
mega.nz/#F!D1dHQZCJ!V9pYq0CUc4iCrNiOcBOBtg
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Wargaming Magazines
mega.nz/#F!O1cUGTRL!4FSvbQTXjmRTz1TfVXqxLw
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warhammer Historical
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf

Desired scans :
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest
Modern Spearhead
The Face Of Battle
General d'Armee (TFL version)
Swordpoint

Attached: 1280px-Philip_James_de_Loutherbourg_-_The_Battle_of_Alexandria,_21_March_1801_-_Google_Art_Project.j (1280x897, 253K)

March the 21st in military history:

537 – Siege of Rome: King Vitiges attempts to assault the northern and eastern city walls, but is repulsed at the Praenestine Gate.
717 – Battle of Vincy between Charles Martel and Ragenfrid.
1801 – The Battle of Alexandria is fought between British and French forces near the ruins of Nicopolis in Egypt.
1814 – Napoleonic Wars: Austrian forces repel French troops in the Battle of Arcis-sur-Aube.
1918 – World War I: The first phase of the German Spring Offensive, Operation Michael, begins.
1937 – Ponce massacre: Nineteen people in Ponce, Puerto Rico are gunned down by police acting on orders of the US-appointed Governor, Blanton C. Winship.
1943 – Wehrmacht officer Rudolf von Gersdorff plots to assassinate Adolf Hitler by using a suicide bomb, but the plan falls through; von Gersdorff is able to defuse the bomb in time and avoid suspicion.
1945 – World War II: British troops liberate Mandalay, Burma.
1945 – World War II: Operation Carthage: Royal Air Force planes bomb Gestapo headquarters in Copenhagen, Denmark. They also accidentally hit a school, killing 125 civilians.
1945 – World War II: Bulgaria and the Soviet Union successfully complete their defense of the north bank of the Drava River as the Battle of the Transdanubian Hills concludes.
1968 – Battle of Karameh in Jordan between the Israel Defense Forces and the combined forces of the Jordanian Armed Forces and PLO.

Attached: Karama_aftermath_1.jpg (1169x800, 452K)

It is the centennary of the start of Operation Michael, a major German military offensive during the First World War that began the Spring Offensive of 1918. It was launched from the Hindenburg Line, in the vicinity of Saint-Quentin, France. Its goal was to break through the Allied (Entente) lines and advance in a north-westerly direction to seize the Channel ports, which supplied the British Expeditionary Force (BEF) and to drive the BEF into the sea. Two days later General Ludendorff, the Chief of the German General Staff, changed his plan and pushed for an offensive due west, along the whole of the British front north of the River Somme. This was designed to separate the French and British Armies and crush the British forces by pushing them into the sea. The critical factor was the entrance of America into the war. America had a pool of untapped manpower and immense industrial resources. Hundreds of thousands of well-equipped soldiers were coming to bolster the Allies. If the Germans were to win the war, they needed to deliver a knockout blow before vast numbers of American troops arrived.

The offensive ended at Villers-Bretonneux on April the 5th, east of the Allied communications centre at Amiens, where the Allies managed to halt the German advance; the German Armies had suffered many casualties and were unable to maintain supplies to the advancing troops.

Much of the ground fought over was the wilderness left by the Battle of the Somme in 1916. The failure of the offensive marked the beginning of the end of the First World War for Germany. The arrival in France of large reinforcements from the United States replaced Entente casualties but the German Army was unable to recover from its losses before these reinforcements took the field. Operation Michael failed to achieve its objectives and the German advance was reversed during the Second Battle of the Somme, 1918 (21 August – 3 September) in the Allied Hundred Days Offensive..

Attached: Somme-1918_battlefield_copy.jpg (800x933, 456K)

The Germans had developed two new tactics which would be crucial to Operation Michael. The battlefield would be prepared by Colonel Georg Bruchmüller’s artillery tactic of the “fire-waltz.” Artillery had been necessary throughout the war and methods for its deployment had grown increasingly sophisticated. The fire-waltz was the latest idea, combining suppression of artillery with a front-line bombardment of mixed shells including high explosives, smoke, tear gas, and poison gas. The other element was the infantry tactics of Captain Herman Geyer, set out in his influential 1918 book Der Angriff im Stellungskrieg – The Attack in Positional Warfare. They focused on the use of small elite units equipped with grenades and light machine guns. These Stormtroopers would break through enemy lines in swift, decisive attacks. Rather than try to defeat all the enemies in a sector they would bypass strongpoints, leaving them for follow-up troops. It would allow them to maintain momentum.

Operation Michael began at 0440 on March 21st. The bombardment hit 43 miles of British lines, leaving the Allies uncertain where exactly the attack would commence. British artillerists, wearing gas masks and trying to aim through smoke, struggled to return fire. After 0935, a creeping barrage began, advancing across no man’s land. The Stormtroopers set out behind the cover of the explosions, advancing swiftly on the British lines.

Beneath the devastating combination of artillery, gas and positional assault, the British lines collapsed. A few pockets of resistance stubbornly held on. Small, scattered, and without hope of reinforcement, they fought to the last man. At 1400, orders were given to British troops to fight a delaying action.. They were in full retreat. By the end of the day, the Germans had suffered 40,000 casualties and inflicted 38,500 on the British. They had made some of the best advances of the war and shattered their opponent's confidence.

Attached: Operation-Michael-Osprey-Publishing.jpg (1499x843, 334K)

The initial German jubilation at the successful opening of the offensive soon turned to disappointment as it became clear that the attack had not been decisive. Without tanks and cavalry to get around their enemies, the Germans could not move faster than the British, and so could not get around their flank. The British could keep retreating, as the ground behind them lacked strategic assets. It had already been devastated by the war. The Germans kept up the attack, but they were losing momentum. The leading Stormtroopers were taking heavy casualties. It reduced their ability to make effective assaults. The speed of the advance became its undoing, as supply lines were stretched and vulnerable. A successful Allied counterattack in the first week of April finally brought the German advance to a halt, ending Operation Michael.

The British lost 178,000 men killed, injured, or captured; the French 77,000, and the Germans 239,000. The Allies had lost a lot of ground and armament resources. British industry, however, was working flat out to replace lost equipment, bolstered by American support. Operation Michael was a promising start for the German Spring Offensive, but in the end, it was symptomatic of a wider pattern; a strong initial push that could not be sustained, ending in bloody exhaustion.

This battle represents the real dawn of combined arms warfare and offers a lot of potential for tabletop wargaming.

mediafire.com/file/qta4154r7wqbjtd/S&T 083 - The Kaiser's Battle.pdf

mediafire.com/file/h3wu87l14anhosb/Osprey - ELI 084 - Trench Warfare WWI (2) 1916-18.pdf
mediafire.com/file/6c6ntmi65biepxn/Osprey - MAA 402 - The British Army In World War I (2) The Western Front 1916-18.pdf
mediafire.com/file/gdhn62n8bdtkeav/Osprey - MAA 419 - The German Army In World War I (3) 1917-18.pdf
mediafire.com/file/s877p9mr169trsf/Osprey_-_WAR_012_-_German_Stormtrooper_1914-18.pdf

Attached: P1010884.jpg (1408x1056, 505K)

Other than the Toyota and Congo Wars, what are some of the more iconic African military conflicts?

Attached: DSCN9950.jpg (1600x1200, 311K)

R H O D E S I A
H
O
D
E
S
I
A

Attached: 26psxt.jpg (754x499, 88K)

The civil wars in Liberia and Sierra Leone are pretty emblematic of how fucking crazy African war can get.

South African boarder wars.

Attached: image.php.jpg (425x319, 116K)

The Somali Civil War, in all it's various incarnations.

Attached: somalia-tank-2.jpg (4000x3000, 4.17M)

The Crusades

Angola. Not only do you have the usual crazy niggers on all sides but Cubans, East Germans, Soviets, South Africans, mercs, the CIA, and several other intelligence agencies are all in the mix.

Read up on some of the SA offensives out of Namibia some time. They're mind boggling.

Best multiple miniatures per base ww2 rules?

> £136

why though?

Attached: Untitled.png (1235x527, 190K)

I have some questions
I'm interested in painting miniatures. I currently have no interest in playing, I have no space or people to play with, I just want to glue together some plastic men and paint them

Should I start with men or might a tank or a plane be easier?
What are good scales? I hear men referred to as "6mm" and tanks as "143:1" and the sort
I'm obviously not going to buy any now, but are metal minatures generally made of one piece instead of multiple pieces like the plastic ones?
Where should I buy paints? Is there a brand everyone uses? That's how the Warhammer people handle it I believe
Are there any good minatures for late antiquity? That would be my favorite
If not someone in the last thread suggested Perry minatures to another newcomer and I agree that those look nice and seem affordable, I might just try and paint some knights, I found a tutorial on Youtube for them too

Italians in Ethiopia perhaps. But all I really know about that conflict is that the Italians sprayed poison on the Ethiopians sort of embarrassed themselves over all, espcially when they lost that first war

>Should I start with men or might a tank or a plane be easier?

You should start with men, as they are what you will spend the majority of the time painting anyway, so you might as well start there.
>What are good scales? I hear men referred to as "6mm" and tanks as "143:1" and the sort
Since you are only interested in models for display purposes, youd probably want 28mm or larger.
>I'm obviously not going to buy any now, but are metal minatures generally made of one piece instead of multiple pieces like the plastic ones?
Yes, same goes with most resin.
>Where should I buy paints? Is there a brand everyone uses? That's how the Warhammer people handle it I believe
I use army painter, but thats just because I got the paints for cheap. Warhammer people use Citadel paints, which is not really worth getting if you aint playing Citadel games.

> Should I start with men or might a tank or a plane be easier?

Some dudes will probably be easier if you're new and want to learn. Later on vehicles and dioramas will let you have some fun for purely painting-and-modelling projects.

> What are good scales? I hear men referred to as "6mm" and tanks as "143:1" and the sort

If you just want to paint stuff, 28mm (approx 1/48...ish, it's not an exact science) and larger models will generally have lots of nice details and be big enough for you to really go to town on making them look good. Alternatively if you want some really cheap stuff for practicing on, try 1/72 (about 20mm).

> I'm obviously not going to buy any now, but are metal minatures generally made of one piece instead of multiple pieces like the plastic ones?

Sometimes, but the ones that do require assembly usually only come in a few parts, rather than the multipart kits you often get in plastic.

> Where should I buy paints? Is there a brand everyone uses? That's how the Warhammer people handle it I believe

At your local hobby store (if you have one). Brand is personal preference, I personally think GW paints are overpriced and dry out way too easily. I'd recommend brands that come in a dropper-style bottle as they last way longer.

Personally I mostly use Vallejo with a bit of Army Painter, especially the latter's washes.

> Are there any good minatures for late antiquity? That would be my favorite

We have a manufacturer's list in the OP, it's a bit old but you might find some stuff there. As an example I quite like Footsore for late romans (assuming that's what you meant by 'late antiquity')

> If not someone in the last thread suggested Perry minatures to another newcomer

Perry's stuff is nice, for sure. You can also buy individual frames from them so if you just want a few dudes rather than a whole bunch you can save money

Attached: Footsore.jpg (720x480, 47K)

I forgot to add that if you don't have a hobby store, you can get paints online. Only problem might be that your country may or may not have certain restrictions on shipping liquids in the post which might make things cost a bit more.

Toyota wars?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_War

>blitzkrieg with redneck trucks

africa never change

Rwandan Civil War.

>>blitzkrieg with redneck trucks

Those "redneck trucks" beat the Libyans like red headed stepchildren.

Six Day War?

Thank you both!
I didn't mean to imply Citadel paint was great, what I meant to get at was that in those circles people just all use that paint (as far as I'm aware) because it's made by who makes the minatures and I was wondering if there was a similar situation here with a main brand everyone likes. Could have worded it better

>Footsore
Those look very nice
I guess late antiquity is sort of a wishy washy term and people just say dark ages for post WRE Europe a lot (but were they REALLY that dark? :^) Who can say!), what I like is the stuff from the crisis of the third century or the Christianized Empire as an early up to Charlemagne or the vikings as the latest point in time, outside of Europe the Eastern and north African stuff is interesting too. Roman Britain is a bit of a meme
With how these minatures seem to be less men per thing you buy and more expensive I'll probably still get a couple Perry's first to practice though, there's more room for me to fuck up I feel, and that's probably what starting out would consist of

I think there's a hobby store a train ride away, but I don't know what exactly they carry
Good thing I went and asked my questions, I was about to find a plane to paint because somehow I figured a bigger object would be much easier and that's how everyone started

citadel is a solid paint line, nothing special but easily accessible and good enough.

Tamiya has a lot of colours suited for historical use but the paint imo is awful, dries too quickly and is difficult to work with.

Army Painter and Italeri are solid, id probably rate them slightly higher than Citadel but negligibly so.

Vallejo is the gold standard in my opinion, good price, good paint, spreads well, often doesnt need to be thinned much at all. Only problem Ive had with them is they seperate quite a lot over time so if you take a break for a few weeks you might need to shake the bottles a LOT

I like Vallejo and P3 myself. P3 in particular I like because the pigment is liquid rather than solid, and can be thinned down quite a bit without breaking down. I tend to just make my own washes with inks or paints I already have, but Tamiya Smoke is really pretty neat in that it does oily grime better than anything I've used so far.

>I was wondering if there was a similar situation here with a main brand everyone likes. Could have worded it bet

You don’t get that kind of situation nearly as much with historical gaming since anyone can make a Roman legionnaire. The rules sets Bolt Action and Flames of War copy GW’s model of selling both rules and miniatures but they don’t claim to be the entirety of the hobby the way GW does

PS: I like Vallejo best but army painter is pretty good too. I much prefer the eye dropper bottles over paint jars

One more thing, you can remove dried acrylic paint by soaking the model overnight in Simple Green cleaner (fairly non-toxic) or with quite nasty things like oven cleaner which may melt plastic figures. If you screw up you can strip the paint off and start over though it might take some work with an old toothbrush to get every last bit. If you don’t glop the paint on too thick you can also just paint over the top of an earlier coat.

so my buddy and I finished off our ATS game of 'Pebbels in the Stream' from Panther Line

things went...poorly for my T-34s. I had no problem hitting his PzIVs......but I forgot the whole Hull Down rules. That tanks are automatically HD if they are at a higher crest line than somone shooting that them. And to score a hit on a HD tank I have to roll a Turret hit only. I kept rolling Upper Hull and Lower Hull hits which were no effect against a HD target.....

my tanks didnt have any such protection.....

Attached: ps.jpg (1842x1036, 1.52M)

Ethiopia-Eritrean war
Ethiopian-Somalian war (Ogaden war)
South African Border war / Angolan Bush war is probably the longest running one
Boer War if you want to go old school

Attached: EfemEride.jpg (1151x2054, 584K)

I always thought the Angolan civil war and South Africans borders wars were pretty interesting, and even though i don't like Cubans they seems the more interesting force aside East Germans support.

Cubans T-62 vs South Africans Centurions looks like a pretty cool project.

>Cubans T-62 vs South Africans Centurions
More like Cuban T-55s vs SADF infantry that weren't expecting tanks...

>not including any of Rwanda's Prussia-tier chicanery

Thanks again for the help everyone, I appreciate it
I'll see what colors you need to paint a knight and get some different paints from the places you guys recommended to see what I like
The tip with dissolving the paint is good, I wouldn't have thought of doing that

I'll lurk the thread more, look at some paint videos and report back in a month or however long it takes me to actually make choices, get the stuff together and paint a man that's not just a glob

>Rwanda
Eh I read about an NGO worker who was there when that went down and it aint much for wargaming. Bunch of hooligans move through a town making a lot of noise firing AKs, driving out the enemy, then move on. No tactics, no aimed firing, just whoever makes the most noise with their AKs is assumed to be winning.

Let me dream about one of the few times the T-62 was used in service, compared with the T-54/55

clump foliage is such a pain in the ass, Im making hedges and im finding im fucking regluing each one four or five times

Except for Egypt, the Middle East including Israel is in Asia.

For the hex & chit members:

boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4688/angola
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/14836/angola
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/155414/angola
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5956/south-africa
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/31846/liberia-descent-hell-liberian-civil-war-1989-1996

Eh, knew it was a stretch.

Battlefront WW2 from Fire & Fury but there is no scan of it, so you're down to Battlegroup (...Normandy, ...Kursk, ...Berlin, etc, etc).

Alright, Veeky Forums, it’s time for some After Action Reporting! I’ll be covering a small game of Way of the Warrior, this solitaire free WW2 (but easily adaptable to other stuff – I’ve considered doing it for S.T.A.L.K.E.R) wargame. It’s pretty fun, really lightweight to run, too. Gameplay’s pretty simple, you set up a pretty small squad, and follow that group as it goes through wherever they’re going, stopping when shit happens. In this case, we’ll be following a group of American troops as they storm through southern Italy.

First things first, our group: Thomas Mendel and Mike Lisowski are the two riflemen that will be here. They’re also the two in the group that have experience, unlike their allies Duncan Stewart and Alex Xenakis, using SMGs and pretty green. They’ve been told to clear a bridge not far away, through a few roads, over a cliff and into a hilltop with a small town, through an orchard and then the bridge.

We start at the beginning, where our group basically blunders into a patrol of two Italian riflemen. Stewart promptly freaks out over this, while everyone else gets ready for the fight. Mendel and Lisowski ready up and fire at one of the riflemen, wounding him. Xenakis helps Stewart clear his head before throwing a smoke grenade for cover. The two Italians fire back from far away, seeking any cover available, missing wildly. The group gets closer, before unloading all they have on the Italians, with the duo of Mendel and Lisowski cleaning up one of the riflemen, while Xenakis and Stewart finish off the wounded guy. Finding the control post empty, they entering the city after climbing the cliff. After searching a bit, they find the main square. Cleaning through the town hall and nearby buildings, they find the city empty, move on. Going through the orchard carefully, they finally arrive at the road towards their intended bridge, where there is a small group of soldiers (one rifleman, two using submachine guns) waiting for them.

Attached: 239127831969632.jpg (800x776, 114K)

The firefight starts with Lisowski and Stewart getting a bit heady, while the entire enemy group seems to be caught completely unaware. Lisowski and Mendel keep up their firing streak and wound the SMG-wielding veteran on the other side, while Xenakis throws a smoke grenade for cover. The rifleman starts firing, but between the smoke grenade and being caught off-guard, even with his best efforts, it goes nowhere. As our heroes move forward, Xenakis and Stewart finish off the wounded Italian, while Lisowski and Mendel promptly hit the rifleman, causing him to fall back. The Italians do their best work, but due to the wound and falling morale, they miss wildly, but still hold on – before Mendel and Lisowski get close enough to lob a few grenades in, killing the two.
Post-mission debriefing is a stunning victory. The group pretty much established control over vital areas with little losses (really, just loss of material, and even then not that much). Xenakis went from being totally green to being a tad experienced, changing from his SMG to a HMG (because, y’know, more dakka is never a bad thing), while Stewart is still learning how to deal with getting into combat. Lisowski, on the other hand, starts specializing in being a sharpshooter. The team also has one guy join them – Kurt Baker, a pretty green soldier, but the only one in the group that happens to have any medical training, which overall is kinda vital.

Attached: 284571025712.jpg (800x790, 120K)

Their next mission is a pretty intense ride – they’re after radio station. It’s a long walk through a lot of forest, with a bit of township in the middle. Any fighting will feature heavy cover, so it’ll be good to get up close. After crossing through a short stretch of forest and over a road, they get ambushed by a pair of Italians at close range with SMGs, and things go haywire. Stewart and Baker both receive the blunt of the surprise, desperately seeking cover as there’s little time to react, while Xenakis, Lisowski and Mendel ready themselves up, with Xenakis opening fire first as everyone breaks into open order to make themselves harder to hit and try to avoid the deadly effect of being ambushed. Thankfully, the grenades thrown by Lisowski and Mendel are enough to keep the Italians from continuing the ambush, even wounding one. They lay down more fire, with Stewart scoring a kill first, then combined fire from Xenakis and Lisowski throwing another grenade saves them from even getting hit. Thank goodness for that supressing fire.

The group moves onto a nearby town, where after cleaning a few buildings, they get stopped by a booby trap in a shop. Stewart, the unlucky bastard that he is, gets wounded, but gets out mostly alright thanks to Baker’s effort. Going through the few factories in the city, they find another booby trap in the second one – which wounds Lisowski this time, the wound being way beyond Baker’s scope. The situation got a bit more dire now. Going out through the woods and into a farm, then out through the woods again, the group seems to be mostly ok now, but the danger still looms. They find an emplacement of barbed wire on the road, but manage to avoid any possible issues. That said, they’re not that lucky with the next one.

Attached: 10671026710276.png (1280x1016, 923K)

Finding a checkpoint, they stumble on a minor patrol of a submachine gunner and a rifleman, which promptly throws the whole thing off. This time, Stewart manages to not be caught off-guard, but Baker still is. Nevertheless, they’re in a much better position than they were. The combined fire of Mendel, Lisowski and Xenakis is enough to wound one of the soldiers (the rifleman), while Stewart lays down a smoke grenade for cover, which is enough for the group to straighten itself out. Approaching the position, Stewart, Mendel and Xenakis combine firepower to create pressure, killing the rifleman and wounding the submachine gunner. Baker throws a smoke grenade to cover their tracks, allowing for the group to get close, as the sheer amount of close fire finishes him off.

They finally arrive at their destination, and are greeted with a hail of bullets, forcing Baker, Stewart and Xenakis into cover – while Mendel and Lisowski promptly set up a shot that wounds one guy armed with a pistol, and the returning fire from the one guy in the shack that wasn’t caught off-guard misses wildly. Thus, our guys advance closer and closer, with Stewart, Mendel and Xenakis now laying down enough fire to kill the enemy’s commander, and Baker throws a smoke grenade to cover their tracks, which leads to some pretty nasty misses from the two soldiers, but they hold on. Closer and closer, the trio lays down enough fire that one of the Italians holding out manages to get wounded, while grenades from Lisowski and Baker pin the other one down. They fire back, and manage to pin down Lisowski, but that doesn’t really matter. Baker’s last grenade finishes off the wounded rifleman, while Mendel lobs one of his own, pinning down the last one, but his morale doesn’t falter. His aim sure does, as it misses wildly. The group continues its assault, with Stewart and Xenakis’ combined fire alongside Mendel’s second grenade finishing off the guy.

Attached: 156071026119276.jpg (500x287, 35K)

Post mission debrief? They were pretty lucky at times, especially with the booby traps. Having Lisowski wounded for most of the mission actually was pretty bad all things considered, and grenades are not to be underestimated. I did luck out on a lot of rolls, the enemies rolled fucking awfully through most of it, and that ambush could’ve been the end of us all if not for the group rolling like a bunch of champs. Stewart seems to be getting better at fighting, while Baker will still take some time to get used to the group. Xenakis and Mendel are invaluable, and while Lisowski didn’t shine here, he didn’t really have much opportunity, what with a booby trap in a factory wounding him.

Now, I kind of have a question for you guys. This was pretty much just a test run, so I was wondering whether it would be better to do a Veeky Forums one, based on rolls through Veeky Forums (and also people naming the group and stuff), or to keep this campaign going. What do you guys reckon would be best? There are quite a few possible options here - Finland-USSR in Finland 1940, US/Canada-Italy in Italy 1943, Germany-USSR in USSR's Winter 1942, Germany-USSR in USSR 1943 and US/Canada-Germany in France 1944, and it's pretty easy to add new stuff.

Attached: 7284012740124.jpg (640x474, 77K)

perhaps chinese in the chinese civil war? finland-ussr also sounds pretty interesting

US & Canada VS Germany AND Italy

lots of different things

aandaminiatures.co.uk/categories/?c=3

These fit the bill for crisis of the third century.

I've seen BG done with 6mm multi-figure bases but it's written as a 1 figure = 1 man ruleset

I mean, it doesn't really affect that much, there's not that big of a difference. Besides, as you can see, it's really simple, if given enough time I can homebrew something for it.

Seems like a pretty neat system, really enjoyed the report.

Why not do both? I mean, just keep your own personal game going here and then run an adaptation of it as a quest thread sort of thing, maybe give Veeky Forums a couple of options for setting and go from there.

Does anyone of you fine gentlemen have a copy of General D'Armee from TFL?

>changing from his SMG to a HMG

An M2? All by himself? No loader? No ammo carriers? He just totes it along firing from the hip like some Hollyweird action movie star? While I don't count buttons, I do prefer a little bit of realism in my games.

I can see why Way of the Warrior is free.

Well, it's one of those things that is kind of buggy about the game. It's basically some dude's simple project, and one of the stupid rules is that anyone above a level of green can change their weaponry. This includes precision rifles (basically sniper rifles), flamethrowers and fucking HMGs. This is one of the possible readings. That said, in reality that shouldn't happen, as HMGs are mostly listed for the sake of events where you may have to fight someone manning a HMG. That said, it was pushing it because HMG is the best weapon in the game (5 Short Range/4 Medium Range/4 Long Range, 2 attacks, holy fucking shit). I was trying to see where the game breaks.

>I was trying to see where the game breaks.

And you found it. Giving Thompsons (SMGs) to the green members of the squad while the experienced members carry rifles is another place where the designers got things exactly backwards.

Neither is something which can't be fixed, but you can see why the game is free.

I mean, the three qualities are green, private and veteran and only privates can get flamethrowers, while everyone else can get rifles and SMGs on the first one. It's pretty simple to change, that said, and at the very least it's pretty good for coming up with skirmish campaigns.

Had anyone shared the version of "Up Front" that is available on WarGameVault?

>the very least it's pretty good for coming up with skirmish campaigns

There are better, the Five Men series comes to mind first, but it's free and deservedly so.

Yeah, fair enough. The idea was that during combat you'd get out and set up a small table for your combat scenario as described by it, perhaps using Five Men to set it up, but outside you'd just follow the combat.

So, I did it. I actually managed to finish a full 24-turn campaign game of Carthage: The First Punic War. I believe it took us 6 sessions, of between 4 and 8 hours.

It was quite the ride - In broad terms, I lost (as Carthage) by a mere 3 victory points - Most of them lost due to the Roman managing to conquer western Sicily.

The most interesting thing was the recurring character Carthalo - he was some guy. Early in the war he landed his army in Bruttium, and plagued the Romans for a couple of years. Through a mix of having a highly efficient army, lots of cavalry, utilizing the terrain for Punic Treachery, as well as a bit of luck, he went totally undefeated. However, he didn't quite manage an actual conquest of the province, and his army dwindled; he had about 3000 men or so at the end, but he still went on crushing the Romans at every opportunity. At the crucial moment the Carthaginian senate decided they should cut back on military spending, reducing the Carthaginian army to a mere two armies - Carthalo's army had to disband.

Attached: 20180317_111640.jpg (4608x3456, 4.1M)

So, the war went on, and Carthage got slowly but decisively pushed back, despite not losing a single battle for about 12 years - through sieges and superior manpower, the Carthaginian armies were unable to seize back the initiative. Corsica became an absolute horror-show; the town of Urcinium got sacked a number of times due to the Carthaginian leaders being unable to restrain their gallic mercenaries. But with Sicily lost, the Carthaginians went into overdrive, desperately trying to regain their foothold on the island. At the lowest point, Hanno got wounded, and his replacement was none other than Carthalo - back in action. He went back to the crushing of Romans, trapping an army inside the walls of Drepanum. It was a ghastly siege; during one time more than 10.000 men starved to death, inside and outside the walls. It could have been done, but Consul after Consul went to face Carthalo, each and every one suffering defeat, but also each of them managed to relieve the siege somewhat. For several years, the walls of Drepanum were reduced and rebuilt, treachery was attempted, but the city just wouldn't fall.

Finally, just a few years before the war ended, a certain Aulus Atilius Caiatinus was elected Dictator, leading a massive army against the now reduced Carthalo. Carthalo, in a display of typical Punic cowardice, ran away. Drepanum was saved, but Carthalo hadn't given up. He calculated his troops, checked the size of the Roman army (which was suffering heavily from attrition), and made his way straight to Syracuse, which had been held empty due to Roman plans to betray their ally and conquer the city themselves. He put up the siege, Adherbal set up a naval blockade, and waited. The Roman army headed to the city, plagued by desertions. Outside the walls of Syracuse, outnumbering Carthalo 3-1, Atilius suffered the greatest defeat of the war.

Btw, this is what the Roman legion display looked like near the end of the game

Attached: 20180317_162926.jpg (4608x3456, 3.9M)

>It was quite the ride - In broad terms, I lost (as Carthage) by a mere 3 victory points - Most of them lost due to the Roman managing to conquer western Sicily.

Interesting, because that's essentially what happened historically.

Carthage lost the war in that she had to evacuate Sicily and abandon her clients there. While bankrupt, her naval power broken, and an internal rebellion brewing, Carthage wasn't substantially harmed by her loss. She put down the rebellion losing Corsica and Sardinia in the process. She also began conquering Spain in part to get the money she had to pay Rome and in part of rebuild her strength for round 2 just over 20 years later.

Carthalo's having to disband his army follows historical precedent too. After ~20 years of war, Carthage was running out of money just a little bit faster than Rome was. The need to counter a large Roman raid tearing up the countryside outside Carthage itself meant funds and troops were withdrawn from Sicily leading to it's eventual loss.

You know it's a damn good design when a game's play produces results similar to what happened in history.

As the Romans disbanded their now largely defunct armies in order to recruit fresh legions, the Carthaginians senate was of the opinion that this great victory meant the war was doing fine. Carthalos army was, however, spared the cuts. The Roman blocked all avenues for retreat, and finally managed to defeat Carthalos army; Sulpicius immediately went back to Rome in order to celebrate his triumph. Standstill characterized the next years, but on the second-to last, the senate went agressive once more. Two largely inefficient armies were raised, but perhaps they could grant the initative which Carthage sorely needed. And Carthalo was back, raising an army in northern Sardinia.

This was, however, a bluff - and as the Roman armies banded together on Corsica, Carthalo sailed straight for Drepanum once more - but once more tragedy struck, this time in the form of Poseidon sinking the entire navy. Carthage never regained the initative, and thus the war ended.

>Interesting, because that's essentially what happened historically.

Yeah, it's one of those designs where, after the session where Carthalo conquered a few cities in Bruttium, I looked him up and saw that the historical Carthalo did the exact same thing.

Really, the only great historical thing that didn't happen in the game was a Roman army landing in Africa - mostly this was due to me attracting Xanthippus early, along with a huge army and 200 elephants, so Africa was, throughout the game, not a very juicy target.

It's a good design because all those "echoes" happened "naturally". That is there weren't rules forcing either player to make the same specific decisions at the same specific times their historical sides made them. The game's design means the players will face similar situations and constraints while having similar concerns all which will lead to similar choices and similar decisions. The rules, however, don't force you to make the same decisions at the same time.

Xanthippus of Sparta is a good example of this. Historically, he put an end to Rome's raids in Africa, capturing the armies doing it and the port they were working from. In your game, Carthage hires him earlier, so the Romans don't even attempt to raid Africa. So, Xanthippus has the same effect he does historically just at a different time.

It's like trying to design an Antietam game. McClellan grossly outnumbers Lee so any Union player with an IQ over 50 will simply zerg rush the slavers and stomp them flat. That didn't happen historically and, more importantly, makes for a boring game so for decades designers have saddled the Union player with various "McClellan is a cowardly moron" rules to prevent it. Those rules make their game too "gamey", the prohibitions they impose aren't "organic" or "natural". When designers began crafting rules which modeled things like doctrine and C3I, the results again were that McClellan couldn't zerg rush the slavers but this time they didn't feel forced or "gamey".

>run an adaptation of it as a quest thread sort of thing, maybe give Veeky Forums a couple of options for setting and go from there
Yeah, that's what I decided to do, I'll adapt it a bit to keep it from ending up with a sole guy using a HMG. It's , and I'm waiting for people to contribute to it.

If it’s on Wargame Vault, buy it yourself and support some independents

Since when is Wizards of the Coast independent?

Attached: IMG_1329.jpg (1600x1200, 273K)

I just bought the Bolt Action starter set Band of Brothers. I've always been interested in ww2 and couldn't get into flames of war because of the scale, i like being able to see individual dudes. I really liked the models so i just decided to buy it.

Is the game actually any good? In terms of how it plays? I'd like to paint it up and give my friend one of the factions but he tended to play 40k waac, hoping he doesn't do the same here and cheeses it up, i wonder if the game has mechanics to somehow prevent this?

I'm hoping the starter wasnt an obvious trap that people in the hobby know to avoid but it seemed like a good deal?

Would be cool if someone who has played could let me know if i made a horrible mistake or not!

>I wonder if the game has mechanics to somehow prevent this?

Nope. Bolt Action is basically 3rd edition 40k with a changed turn system and some more troops getting pinned down. This makes it pretty easy access, however it will become incredibly un-fun the moment you go up against someone just wanting to win at any cost.

However it's not the only 28mm WW2 game out there and the miniatures can be used for pretty much anything.

Thanks man thats good to know. I mainly bought it for the miniatures. I think i may even try to find a gaming club to play the game with thats abit more laid back about gaming like myself. I only ever used to play 40k with the same 3 people and it was never a fun experience, even if i was winning i just didnt enjoy the atmosphere.

The models look great for this game so i'm glad thats something!

I agree in that Bolt Action is a good fun game that is more or less simple to learn and play. However, it will loose its charm the moment you play against someone that just wants to win at any cost.

But that can be said about any game really.

I recommend looking into Bolt Action and Chain of Command. These are both different games, but they are good games for WW2 skirmish level.

Maybe one of Based Ivan's Five Men in X systems would also be good, Satan.

Just for something very small scale so even a handful of completed figures can be used in a game.

Attached: Vig20mm-049-04g1_zps7051665f.jpg (642x650, 138K)

Who sells it?

Sorry just saw that it is free

Could you post a link? Seems dope and I might try my hand at it

Search for Way of the Warrior on boardgamegeek, then check files. There's a bit of a game going on in , that said there's only two people participating in it.

Now I'm not the user who posted about it, but I think this is it.

Attached: WotW.pdf (PDF, 155K)

Yup, spot on.

>Is the game actually any good? In terms of how it plays?
It's mediocre and pretty generic really. It's easy enough to learn but it's really just generic skirmish with a WW2 skin. It doesn't attempt to model ww2 combat at all but works if you just want to push some figures around. You're 40k friend should like it though since it's pretty similar.

The great thing about historical figures though is you can use those figures you bought for any WW2 game.

Attached: company_orig.jpg (800x567, 120K)

So im going to be doing some War of the Roses here soon and I have 1 of 8 battles to participate in. anyone want to give any input on which one I should choose and why. I know shit all about ECW stuff.

1st Battle of St Albans
Blore Heath
Mortimers Cross
Towton
Edgecote Moor
Barnet
Twekesbury
Stoke Field

Attached: hith-wars-of-roses-istock-E.jpg (686x385, 169K)

1st St Albans is interesting as a relatively rare example of medieval urban warfare (they literally fought in the streets of St Albans).

Blore Heath will probably be pretty imbalanced unless the Lancastrian player falls for the same trick they did irl.

Mortimer's Cross could have some fun stuff to simulate how a lot of the troops were freaked out by a weird thing that happened to the sun that day, but otherwise it's a fairly vanilla battle.

Towton is probably a strong choice purely for the size and decisiveness of the damn thing.

Edgecote Moor barely counts as a WotR battle in my book.

Barnet might be fun with the mist cocking things up for both sides. Lot of drama potential what with the death of the Kingmaker and such.

Tewkesbury is a bit more restrained relative to Towton or Barnet and the like, only seems really notable in that the terrain was apparently a bitch.

Stoke Field also is arguably not a 'real' WotR battle but it's still pretty interesting, the Yorkist side get to use Irish mercenary troops for a bit of flavour.

Tewkesbury is a pretty decent rolling brawl of a fight. Though not exactly much tactical finesse, same as Towton but less extreme because it's just a shitload of hedges and ditches disordering everything rather than a blizzard.

Kinda amazed that anyone is actually bothering to wargame them rather than generic battles and small skirmishes though. I don't think any of them are actually good material to draw from for gaming purposes because there's very little interesting generalship involved. All the cunning moves were before the fights even started.

How do you know these things? And how may I attain such knowledge for myself?

Wikipedia, dude.

That's belief not knowlege.

Then go buy a book or something idk

Towton or Barnet. The former is supposed to be the bloodiest battle fought in England with something like ~30K casualties. The latter with the fog causing each side to stumble into the other would make for a great double-blind game.

>And how may I attain such knowledge for myself?

Read a book. There are at least 2 Ospreys in the OP links dealing with medieval English knights.

>That's belief not knowlege.

Then read the books listed on the Wiki page.

I hate to be a pedant, and surely there's no place more appropriate, bu the Tudor Rose is specifically white rose in a larger red rose not that weird pink blend there and I nearly attached a correct example on this post

Towton is the one, largest medieval battle in Britain, largest until the civil war I expect if any come close. Blore Heath and 1st St. Alby's are both pretty minor skirmishes (One historian compared 1st Alby's to a street brawl or gang fight) and the others are mid level battles

How to do up my Warlord Games Japanese Infantry box to represent Sino-Japanese conflict soldiers? I have no idea what squads would look like armament wise.

Not too different from any other theater, all the usual small arms, MGs, artillery and tanks.

Attached: Japanese Troops in China.jpg (500x384, 66K)

I've been thinking of getting into SAGA by gripping beast, It'll be my first 28mm historical. I've played FoW a bit, and 40k, WHFB and Battle Games in middle earth.

What are people's opinions on Saga, is it good?

>I have no idea what squads would look like armament wise.

Don't bother looking at the three Osprey books on Japanese troops in the OP's WW2 links or anything.

After all, the /hwg/ OP just keeps posting those links and maintaining those file for shits & giggles and not because anyone would ever use them.

Picked up a copy of Yanks for Asl via Craigslist today. Retails for ~120 got it for 40 unopened in original packaging and wrap. I felt like there was an interesting story behind it but didn't ask because every Craigslist buy feels shady and I was messaging a woman about the module and a man came to complete the transaction. Oh well. Lots of new maps and chits to play with.

Man that looks fun