Helmets

There are two parts of your body: First you have your arms, your legs, your stomach, your heart, your lungs, your kidneys and similar: the Support Infrastructure. Then you have your Brain: the Biological Computer that is actually You. Loosing the support infrastructure is bad, make no mistake, but loosing the brain is straight up game over. As such you should always prioritize the protection of your brain above all else. As such, if you are going into a fight you should wear a helmet. The more head it covers the better.

This does not mean you should not armor the rest of your body, but keep your priorities straight.

Attached: helmet.jpg (681x1024, 304K)

Other urls found in this thread:

kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AH3819&name=16th Century Burgonet with Falling Buffe Visor
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>hav singel weaknes make you die
>not remov weakenes
>see at him brainlet

Attached: 1520115965665.jpg (680x395, 38K)

One big reason for people to not wear helmets all the time is that, depening on the type of helm and visor, it can be very difficult to see through, and this inconvenience can sometimes create enough risk that it outweighs the benefits of having a protective shell around your head. I imagine actual knights at the very least would generally have their visors open for the majority of the time on the battlefield.

This has persisted, in various ways, from the bronze age until the Vietnam War. It's partially a technological thing (helmets sucked pre-plastics) and partially psychology.
Having your head enclosed is something most people find uncomfortable. The effects are magnified by the physical exertion and stress of combat. Thus, many remove helmets and masks. You see it in paintballing (with noobs) all the time. There are plenty of accounts of troops in combat zones ditching helmets when discipline falters.
Of course, a lot of those troops die when things get heavy.

>helmets sucked pre-plastics

wat

Yes and? What's your point with this thread OP? Is this a salletposting thread?

Attached: d4b24eaf5bfd05c72bf672d1a03c1f7e.jpg (650x813, 104K)

screw that poncy shit, get with the real mens style
Basinets for Life!

Attached: download.jpg (184x275, 8K)

Begone from this wholesome thread basinetposter!

Attached: 94cdadb773e0dcf3f93222dc70995d63_67858_0.jpg (377x503, 112K)

>The more head it covers the better.
>yfw you get attacked from the side and die because you have 0 situational awareness

Well, not above all else. If you're fighting in minimal gear, you want a sword and shield, then a helmet. You can protect your body well with a shield, as well as your sword arm while you're swinging. A good, simple center grip shield will be the most versatile and efficient part of your fighting system.

But yes, spring for a helmet before anything else after you've got a shield.

But then how will anyone know my character is a redhead sidecut elf lesbian with facial tattoos and heterochromia who wears full plate but not DA UNREALISTIK KIND (that I bullied my way through several art threads just to get drawn for free and then posted all over facebook in hopes that a girl feeling bad about her self-image would blow me but none of them did).

Attached: 1514064052623.jpg (1044x812, 94K)

>You get attacked from the side because you're not in formation because you don't have any friends because no one wants to fight with you

>get attacked from the side and live to tell about it because you're wearing some fucking armor.

ftfy

Any of you guys own any helmets? I reenact and larp for a couple of different periods so I have 4.

Attached: muh helms.jpg (1985x1021, 574K)

Unfortunately I'm way too fucking poor to afford any swords or armor, or training in how to use them. Everything I know is only academic.

I got the one on the left for free and it's probably my favorite.

kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AH3819&name=16th Century Burgonet with Falling Buffe Visor
I picked up this one for my larp. Quality is alright, and the falling buffe is Veeky Forums as fuck, but I kind of wish I'd sprung for a sallet instead, or one of the Italo-Norman or Gjermundbu style helms instead. Would have matched my kit a bit better.

Pic related is my dream helmet, but as far as I can tell you can only get something like that done custom.

Attached: custom visored bascinet.jpg (355x390, 23K)

>What's your point with this thread OP?
Veeky Forums is a roleplaying board. He wants to roleplay a smart person.

That one is really fuckin pretty.

Right now I kind of want a spangenhelm or something lighter than what I have for larping. Possibly a late roman helmet with those Veeky Forums ridges and earholes.

imo the best kind of helm for larping, issues of aesthetics aside, is one that leaves plenty of vision and doesn't cover the ears or mouth too much. That's why sallets are nice, because the wide bottom opens up vision and breathing room, and makes hearing easier.

Spangenhelms aren't quite my speed, but they're a good basic design. When it comes to cap-only designs like that, I like kettle helms a bit more. I think they're a bit more versatile in terms of what they match with, and you can use them as a bowl when you're not fighting.

Attached: the true form of the Internet White Knight.jpg (960x717, 102K)

My only good experiences with my larpin sallet are when it's tipped back more like a kettle helm. Visor-over-eyes doesn't move around right without a LOT of work and adjustment. My bar grill bascinet and my vendel helmet have the best vision by far, vendel having better hearing.

My helm for Bohurt.
Here’s m a picture of my armorer wearing it.
Pretty good comfy

Attached: DBA5810A-E8F3-41B7-A667-D8726BB834DE.jpg (2224x3344, 753K)

Helmet plebs get the fuck >>/out/

Attached: 2fd1e393200a37bf126d346a33a42768.jpg (522x591, 36K)

You're a fucking idiot for the following reasons:
1) Never say always when we're talking about historical sources. There is always an exception.
2) The head contains the brain, sure, but it also contains your eyes and ears, and there's no way to enclose your head with armor that doesn't reduce your vision and hearing.
3.) The head is small and one of the most constantly moving parts of the human body. The torso, which can be extremely debilitating when hit (a gut wound that puts you writhing in pain before you die in 5 hours is just as effective as an instant kill to the head) is about 3 times larger and far more stationary. A cuirass will also protect it with basically no loss of ability or movement range.
4.) Human beings will instinctively dodge with their head, but this is far less powerful of an instinct for the torso.
5.) Literally thousands of years humans have fought each other, and full-head helms existed for a tiny fraction of that. There are clearly other factors to consider.

>helmets are made of tissue paper and can be cut through with butter knives
>padding underneath? what's that nonsense
reality ain't an anime mate

>5.) Literally thousands of years humans have fought each other, and full-head helms existed for a tiny fraction of that. There are clearly other factors to consider.
You mean two and a half thousand years? This isn't even going into bronze age Assyrian helmets or Akkadian and Mycenaean partial helms.

Attached: corinthian_helmet.jpg (183x275, 5K)

Shields aren't necessary, and a helmet is probably better than one in many cases. Helmets protect you a lot from secondary injuries like a stray projectile, falling over or just being headbutted by your mate next to you who wasn't paying attention. Importantly, you don't have to pay attention for your helmet to work.

Then you use both hands for a nice long stick and you're golden.

Attached: 07413b165d19aa95c8c3624f21b79aa5[1].jpg (697x960, 126K)

Protection in order of importance for a soldier, going off of the most common and/or lethal types of battlefield injuries.

>Weapon (obviously)
>Helmet
>Aventail or gorget
>Hand/forearm protection
>Torso protection
>Greaves
>Everything else

Attached: warming_up_to_stab_some_turks.gif (400x224, 2.81M)

I have the power of plot, since you're not important due to helmet, you die because a sword cut your helmet.
Plot>Everything

>3.) The head is small and one of the most constantly moving parts of the human body. The torso, which can be extremely debilitating when hit (a gut wound that puts you writhing in pain before you die in 5 hours is just as effective as an instant kill to the head) is about 3 times larger and far more stationary. A cuirass will also protect it with basically no loss of ability or movement range.
>This does not mean you should not armor the rest of your body, but keep your priorities straight.

pussy

Attached: obraz_1500.jpg (800x600, 28K)

mah nigga

Attached: IMG_5589.jpg (2848x4272, 3.41M)

Germanic spangenhelm with cheekplates

Attached: IMG_0260.jpg (3264x2448, 1.03M)

don't know why that uploaded sideways, the helmet is pretty good though.

Go home, Harold Godwinsson. You lost.

>all that lofty rubbish to prove the obvious
How amusing.

Attached: pic afbe86a4d3df9aced849d028b57813ba.jpg (736x736, 101K)

non sequitur

>what is a blunt weapon
>what is concussion

Of course. Sport combat, reenactment, and larp.

Late 15thC Sallet in 12g Spring Stainless for ACL/HMB/SCA and historic fencing. (pictured)

Sport optimized, 12 and 14g Stainless "Generiviking" helmet for SCA (retired)

18g(?) Mild steel combed morion for 16thC Irish and Colonial American reenacting

18g Mild steel Salletta for 15thC reenacting and larping.

Hardened leather 18thC British light infantry helmet for work and reenactment.

14g WWI Adrian Model II French issued helmet, for shiggles.

Attached: New plumes.jpg (2322x4128, 3.03M)

>Sport optimized, 12 and 14g Stainless "Generiviking" helmet for SCA (retired)

It used to have a maille drape attached all the way around to hide sides, back and most of the bargrill.

Attached: FB_IMG_1481075790649.jpg (1280x960, 74K)

M-56 all the way

Attached: OuPJ-hcW_Dg.jpg (667x800, 57K)

That's nice. I want to buy one of those but there's not an SCA scene in the UK and helmets like that are nonexistent.

Attached: 1452104380879.jpg (406x464, 106K)

> not an SCA scene in the UK
There is, its just not big. Most Euro SCA is in France and Germany.

Attached: German first quarter of the 16th C composite helmet 1.jpg (400x548, 35K)