>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously on /5eg/:
You guys got any Martial BBEGs? Are they as dangerous in person as a Magical one?

Attached: Apollyon.jpg (1184x1600, 608K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/bRak7cwJ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Are they as dangerous in person as a Magical one?
Really what makes a BBEG dangerous is their planning and how interested they are in the party, if you ask me. Martial BBEGs can be just as dangerous in the bigger scheme of things, but they definitely need some casters backing them up in a fight unless you give them some legendary resistances.

He isn't the BBEG, but I just had a time traveling hero come in and bring a fighter to 0 in one round, recover the item he wanted and fly off with his jet pack. Turns out anti matter rifle on a 4 attack stat block is hilarious.

How am I supposed to use heavy armor with Tenser's Transformation?

Hobgoblin Generals were fun enemies. I gave them fighter levels, the greatsword fighter with 3 weapon attacks could gain temp HP and advantage on all attacks. There was a battlemaster. A Knight. I love my fighter levels in my monsters.

Get the common magic item version that lets you don/dof it with an action.

>You guys got any Martial BBEGs? Are they as dangerous in person as a Magical one?

No. There's definitely a big gap in the danger I would feel about fighting a martial BBEG compared to fighting a caster BBEG. Though I am sure a decent GM can make them just as dangerous as a caster.

Are you talking about the Cast-Off Armor from XGtE? Because that only lets you doff as an action, not don.

My campaign BBEG is a town guard from my party's first level 1 adventure. The local lord had hired them to go reinforce the town in preparation for bandits attacking but the party dicked about, didn't go to the town and it was a bloodbath. This lead to a number of events spiralling out of control with the town guard rallying a militia to go hunt down the orcs, becoming bigger, forming a pseudo-mercenary group and now the group is big enough to challenge the king's armies (with the BBEG looking to overthrow the government and install his own dictatorship with which he can look after the people better and enforce peace, in his eyes)

>when the town guards scale with your level

murderhobo detected

Attached: mad.jpg (312x320, 20K)

Last session the party had a re-match against a battlemaster style enemy general that they had previously lost spectacularly against.
Now they had all their spells and resources and the general still beat the wizard, rogue and bard down to 0 hp.
Next week they are going to face the general's boss, and ancient lich, so I guess we'll see which one is tougher.

Has there been any news about Revised Beastmaster? I know they said they were dropping the Revised Ranger as a whole, but they said BM had a good chance of getting a revision.
Also I heard Mearls did something regarding Warlord, are there any pdfs of his rules?

>wizard, rogue and bard down to 0 hp.
So who was left after them?

fake and gay

By not taking the spell because it's a dumb spell that should've stayed in 3.5

Not entirely, closest I got is a Death Knight who likes getting up close and personal to anything else.

Paladin, other rogue and fighter.
DMing for six players is a pain.

>DMing for six players is a pain

git gud

Which part? I know for a fact they said they were looking at a revision for BM Ranger, and I'm pretty damn sure Mearls was doing some Warlord stuff on stream a week or two ago.

Are Zealot Barbarians what I think they are: raging religious lunatics?

Can a half-Orc be a Zealot if Gruumsh?

>two tanks
Everybody else needs to learn to get behind the damn meat walls

I want to play martial, but I don't want to be brain dead during social / exploration phase....

Would Ritual Caster feat help?

> Tank
> in 5e
Please go back to MMO.

Being a Rogue would help more.

Hey, this is my first campaign and starting with just four would have been so much easier.
The fighter is quitting after this campaign finishes so things will get a little easier for me.
How do you tank a terminator-esque battlemaster that has a walking speed of 60 and can just push you aside to kill the casters while staring at you and challenging you to do something about it?

What can Rogue do outside of combat that won't be obsolete by Lore Bard who has both skill and magic?

>What is Attack of opportunity?
If the fighter is a battlemaster he should've been able to use tripping or disarming attack.

Apart from rogues, even Fighters tend to have options. Samurai are perfectly fine as party faces, Monks and Battlemasters gain proficiency in an artisan's tool of their choice (the Alchemist's Kit and Herbalism Kit are both useful in almost any setting).

>How do you tank a terminator-esque battlemaster that has a walking speed of 60 and can just push you aside to kill the casters while staring at you and challenging you to do something about it?
You don't, everyone else just learns why having either Fly or Dimension Door is a godsend

> The Wizard didn't fly
> The Wizard didn't cast Invisibility / Blink
> The Wizard didn't cast Polymorph on himself and turn into T-rex / Mammoth
> The Wizard didn't cast black tentacle
> The Wizard didn't...

If you want magic, why play a martial? Rogue has plenty they can do outside of combat, but if you're just going to be all "muh caster supremacy" about it, why not just play a Bard?

Make use of XGE tool proficiencies. Almost every Rogue archetype gives you proficiency in some kind of tool or kit, usually two; if you are doing a check in which your skill applies, XGE's tool use rules give you auto advantage as well as double proficiency if expertise applies to the skill.

>battlemaster
He wanted something simple after his cleric died so we could finish the campaign so he chose champion.
The fight would have been so much easier if the players just had any tactics beyond rushing in and attacking and fireballing their problems away. The wizard is by far the worst offender, nothing but damage spells because muh big numbers and then he whines and pouts when he doesn't instantly kill everything and destroy the world with a single word.
The arcane trickster was the only smart one, started flying the moment the fight began.

The problem is Bard doesn't even have to use magic to be on par with Rogue.

1. the know-it-all who refuses to play a wizard, doesn't into combat and thinks they are the DM but literally doesn't understand the core concept. writes multipage emails every day. needs a dedicated folder. puts everything in 8pt illegible script. currently emailing all the other players for input on whether she should pick Aid or something else for her spell today.
2. the straight tabaxi rogue who is so vanilla I worry he'll melt
3. his gf who is a better RP and player in every way
4. the dwarf who asks such blunt meta questions I don't know if it's the player or the character ("so barkeep are there any quests available?" "so NPC, do you fight a lot of undead, any tips for defeating them?"
5. the UA revised ranger who still doesn't know what initiative is, nor advantage, nor what any of his spells and skills are. thinks basic backstory weaving is fucking amazing and I should publish the adventure
6. the quiet monk who only wants to punch bigger things and asks everyone their name then calls everyone friend. still don't know if it's brilliant RP or just the player.

sessions are either roleplay, four hours of discussing IC whether to go up to the fort, how to go up to the fort, when to go up to the fort, whether to go up to the fort again, or 1000% combat (every encounter takes 4 hours too).

my life and game would be 10x better if I could ditch player 1, but I'd replace them immediately with someone who has been waiting patiently in the wings because 7 is just way, way too much.

If you're the DM just kick him out.

That's a problem with bard, not rogue. You said you wanted to be martial that's brain not dead during the social / exploration phase, not the best social / exploration skillmonkey in the game, and Rogue's your answer. Ritual Caster isn't going to make you better than the Bard either.

Good on you for having the balls to fight your players seriously and make tactics matter

I have a player who wants to create an item linked to their Arcane Focus, so that they may cast spells from the origin point of said linked item. Specifically a second person/PC wielding the item.
What do you think about balance for this? Should the usage of the spell for the non caster be an action or bonus action? Considering casting the spell still takes the caster's action.
What do you think?

I've been ramping the difficulty slowly during the last six months trying to force them to learn to play smarter but I feel it has been in vain. At the start of the campaign I was afraid of killing off characters but I got over that.
I'm going to go all out on the lich battle next week though, I don't give a shit if the campaign prematurely ends because the party got TPK'd one session before the finale. They should have the skills and firepower to take down pretty much anything, they just need to learn how to utilize their shit. Adapt or die.

>casting the spell always takes an action for the caster even if it's a bonus action spell
>the holder of the item can use their reaction to cast the spell proper as the caster finishes
>3 charges, 1d3 every morning

>("so barkeep are there any quests available?" "so NPC, do you fight a lot of undead, any tips for defeating them?"

Neither of those are meta though? Maybe the second one if he's just asking some random dude.

Bonus action is fine. Obviously prohibit this from working for any spell cast with a range of Self.
If you want, you can also use Find Familiar's rule, which allows familiars to transfer the spell as a reaction, but only spells with a range of Touch.

>the holder of the item can use their reaction to cast the spell proper as the caster finishes
I was literally just considering that. Had not considered charges, but yeah for sure.
Thanks user

Yeah that sounds pretty fun. You get some cool divinations as well!

So this is the proper 5e thread now? Oh, whatever. Let's just repost.

Rate my random ability generation table.

This was generated by rolling the standard "4d6, take the highest 3" method a million or so times, counting each combination.

* The final combinations then got assigned a value as if they were done with an expanded point-buy system (-1 per value below 8, so an ability value of 3 is worth -5; 16 is worth 11 points, 17 worth 14 and 18 worth 18 points)
* The resulting distributions got sorted into the "tiers" you see above (Peasant: 10-19 points, Competent: 20-29, Heroic: 30-39, Epic: 40-49, Godly: 50-59).
* The ability score distribution with the highest count (the most common) got assigned to the 2d20 roll of "21", the second and third most common ones to "20" and "22" and so on, until the 38th and 39th ones got assigned to "2" and "40". Everything else was thrown away.

The result is probably more useful for NPC stat generation (pick how good they have to be, roll 2d20, use the resulting ability score array for their abilities), but it can also be used for somewhat random, but also somewhat fair alternative to the random generation in the PHB. The standard array is in there as well ("Competent tier", when you roll an 8) and the "Heroic tier" is about what you'd expect to get with the normal rolling mechanism or slightly better.

Full source code generating the tables: pastebin.com/bRak7cwJ (you need Java 8 SDK and Lombok to compile it).

Attached: DnD 5e - Random attribute pick.png (2825x2254, 432K)

Give em a ring of spell storing instead, or something to that effect so they have to precast them into the item. It's what my groups wizard does, fear the battlemaster with two casts of misty step and a shield spell for emergencies

What your thinking of is the Artificers "infuse ability" ability. Depending on if you allow UA or not, you could just fluff that class feature for the player. Its not that broken but I would put a cap on it to only allow up to second level spells or something & make sure that it is used in eight hours or the spell dissipates.

Martials don't have the ability to remove multiple people from the fight in a single turn the way casters do, but they can be threatening. One of the strongest creatures in the MM (Tarrasque) has no spells at all, and only melee attacks (+ Frightful Presence). Of course, it helps that it's got magic resistance, legendary resistance as well as complete immunity to spell attacks + magic missile and it's too big to fit into a Forcecage. If you slap on perks like that, anything can become threatening.

It really depends though. Tarrasque's low INT prevents it from being an actual BBEG anyways.

Rolled 6, 1 = 7 (2d10)

Threads with waifu OPs made by the tripcode guy tend to be ignored and deleted, you're better off not posting in his threads.
But yeah, as a DM I don't usually need a full statblock for NPCs, but I suppose that's mostly because I use monsters. This table might help me out in throwing more custom humanoid enemies, though, so I rate it 1d10/1d10.

Rolled 1 (1d6)

1 and 6 is peasant

>Tarrasque
Bad example, the Tarrasque is a little bitch who dies to a single lvl 5 character with strategy. Martial BBEGs shine best when they have caster support backing them up just like how magical BBEGs need martial support, the biggest mistake people make is making "boss battles" that are the entire party vs. one guy.

Rolled 4, 7 = 11 (2d20)

Well shit

Hey I got my real life stats.

Trying to make Battlerager good.
Should I nix the effective +1 AC the armor gives?

Herp

Attached: Battlerager Revised.pdf (PDF, 1.23M)

Reminder that RAW you can grapple someone under Gaseous Form.

So?

What does it feel like to grapple gas?

Something, something, BRAAAAPPPP

Is Sorcerer or Warlock overall better at putting out damage?
I like the idea of Metamagic but Warlock gets to blast some massive ass too. I've never played a blaster-type caster before so I'm kinda lost.

Ask your buttcheeks.

Depends on resources
MAXIMUM BURST BLOW THE LOAD: Sorcerer
Good, Sustained consistent damage: Warlock

>the Tarrasque is a little bitch to a single lvl 5 character with strategy
How?
Not saying it's impossible, I'm genuinely curious as to how it could be done

Ok, I see.
And what about multiclassing both of them? Is that a net improvement over both or..?

Do you guys use terrain for your games? I made pic related for Mordheim, but I realize that it might be useful for RPGs also.

Attached: 20180319_152548.jpg (5312x2988, 4.57M)

RAW, I also didn't find any rules for damage when stepping out of a speeding carriage (as long as you fall less than 10 feet). At the end of the day, this is still a game and so needs some level of abstraction and can't cover every possible situation. That's why we have Rule 0.

What, like a Warlock/Sorcerer multiclass?
They both use Charasma which is good, and you get short rest slots you can burn for Metamagic.
Though it slows your higher level spells.
You can always Sorc/Paladin or Warlock/Paladin if you love max cheese, but your DM is likely to slap you.

Personally I'd say just stay one class the whole way. This isn't Pathfinder or 3.5 where you need to MC to be effective.

Since Tarrasque's Frightful Presence has only 120' range and Tarrasque itself has a speed of only 40' and no fly speed, and it's only immune to nonmagical weapons plus a few elements, anyone with a magic longbow and a speed of >40' (or a flight speed, like for an Aarakocra PC) could just snipe it from afar. Sure, it's got an AC of 26, but that still means you'd hit it 1/20 times since 20 is an auto-hit.

But this is of course a white room scenario. Realistically the Tarrasque would be attacking some city, wrecking a few buildings and murdering a few handfuls of peasants every turn.

So, then, if I wanted to outright delete enemies with arcane wrath I should play Sorcerer, yes?

Massive improvement for single target damage at least.

While I think that's cool as fuck, I fear that 99% of players are going to see wood and immediately jump to setting it on fire. Alternatively I would have to go look up the hardness of items.

However, this would give a reason for me to use Siege Monster rules.

See DM slapping you part with paladin, applies here haha
Yes, I tend to see sorcerer as better, especially if you grab the metamagic that lets you reroll on low damage dice of spells.
Also cheese: 2 level dip fighter for action surge to drop two fireballs in a single turn, then quicken a firebolt or something because fuck that one guy.

>Magical Item that lets you use your Constitution instead of Will for saving throws
Did I fix fighters?

I think you meant to write
>class feature that lets you use your Constitution instead of Wisdom for saving throws.
Using up an attunement slot is big.

Martials are already overpowered in 5e, no need to buff them further.

you would have to be flying because it can use its legendary actions to close the gap, potentially moving up to 100 ft and still attacking
also it can jump 33 feet, has a reach of 20 ft, and is really tall so it can probably also hit flying dudes

Attached: 🤔.png (512x512, 26K)

[angry response that you’re baiting for]

Attached: 20A84B90-C700-40EF-BB24-C2033F48EFD1.png (640x640, 101K)

Hmmm....

Attached: reallyactivatesthealmonds.jpg (1440x1418, 301K)

>it can probably also hit flying dudes
Longbow min range is 150ft and a flying creature can just keep at that range. The Tarrasque just can't hit someone that far away, it's why most people give it a godzilla-esque breath weapon.

Attached: flat,800x800,075,f.u2.jpg (706x800, 114K)

Anybody got Deck of Many Things stories?

I love the idea of a party tracker such as this, but is there one that has spaces for relevant information? I don't need to track a player's motivations or bonds. Their modifiers, maybe their weapons, their spell slots, or something else more useful.

Attached: D&D5e - Party Tracker.pdf (PDF, 174K)

One time my group got a Deck of Many Things and then everyone died so we retconned it and never used it again

No, because players are universally bad at tactics and I don't think giving them extra dimensions would make them better.

>Making literally 10% of the spells in the game nerfed or useless.
Your combat must be boring as shit.

What 10% of spells are you referring to?

Right. Still, if you fly high enough you could in principle still snipe it as an Aarakocra. Its vertical reach is probably not more than, say, 150', the range of the longbow. And with Sharpshooter you can get that up to 600'.

Alternatively an airborne Warlock (iirc there's a breed of Tiefling with a fly speed, or again the Aarakocra) with Spell Sniper, Eldritch Spear and Eldritch Blast could hit it without penalty at 600' range.

Again, this is a white room scenario, and I'm sure the Tarrasque could chuck a big rock in your direction, too.

Post your boss monsters

Attached: 1520552780821.png (100x100, 5K)

Attached: 1520197252233.png (1000x1000, 66K)

>mfw autism commands me to customize everything to not be shit but I don't want to rewrite literally everything

Attached: 1515635645424.png (711x798, 72K)

Attached: 1509394559451.jpg (979x832, 546K)

Does anyone have a source for Monster Manual that isn't completely fucked? The quality of the one in the OP is pretty awful.

Can you post a few more macros for the epic screencap I'm making for Reddit? I don't think 7 is enough.

samefag posting shit emoji memes

All the area control spells. Gust of wind, spike growth, plant growth, hallucinatory terrain. They become so much better when the enemy can't walk around them.

You then have spells like fear, darkness, fog cloud, etc. While they still work, exploiting them in terrain makes them better. They're not strictly nerfed, but the situations in which you would use them in combat are drastically reduced.

>implying

Attached: Screenshot_20180320-090405.png (720x1280, 174K)