How many of you actually use Beholders in your campaigns?

How many of you actually use Beholders in your campaigns?

Attached: EVILEYE.png (600x547, 1.26M)

Can't say I ever have.

But, I tend to be light on supernatural creatures. Aiming instead for a balanced ecosystem of threats, most of which end up being humanoids.

I ONLY use beholders.
First enemy the party fights? A fucking beholder
BBEG? Beholder. The noble and just king? you bet your ass its a beholder
The world they live in is just a giant beholder
using anything else or even suggesting that something non-beholder related even exists in my table is enough to get you kicked

>a world where everything is a beholder
The stuff of nightmares

What about the PCs?

Ever read dogscape? It's like that, but with beholders

>your dm will never let you play as a beholder

Attached: 125784747322e29.jpg (650x812, 31K)

I had the party encounter a nerdy, nearsighted beholder whose wailing was disturbing the peace of a nearby town. Turns out he was frustrated that his equally misfit monster friends were avoiding him.

The party went around to his friends' places to apologize on his behalf. Eventually they all made up and the party got the beholder's fixed dice as well as a few other weird magic items.

The monsters than began playing DnD.

They're my favorite enemy to use, much k the dismay of my players.

I've got one saved as the last boss of a mega city full of corruption. They're only level 4 right now though. What level should a party of 6 be in order to face a Beholder in its lair?

>What level should a party of 6 be in order to face a Beholder in its lair?

Hit them with a spectator. Like a beholder, but smaller and closer to their level.

My party won a staring contest with one once

Depending on the system, yeah. But that was still hilarious.

How would you carry anything?

Pocket dimensions

Meta as fuck

I noticed I had never used them a few months ago when Veeky Forums asked me this question. My next campaign was one filled with beholders, then I realized my mistake. I wondered how beholders could reproduce since they hate evewrything that doesnt look like themselves. So I came up with the idea that in the setting there was a magical mutation that would make them, if old and fed enough, fall onto the ground and split off a section of their body. Like cell division. This lump of beholder flesh would then slowly grow into a baby beholder. This created a beholder plague. Which was what the party was going to have to solve.
Now for my problem, beholders are fucking insane. Normally they are solo enemies as well, but seeing how they could "clone" and therefore love close to eachother. A couple of them could fuck you up in so many ways it wasnt even funny. It didnt help that my BBEG was a beholder mage Which used the beholder corpses to make death tyrants. Resulting in a deathmarch where they had to kill death tyrants before they could even take the BBEG down.
In the end my group got so sick of beholders that after they finally finished the campaign, they instantly murdered the beholder mascot character (a tiny beholder that bounced around for locomotion) before even trying to understand why I introduced this guy.

Attached: 1515588897212.png (814x960, 1.25M)

It was a silly sidequest that got a couple of laughs. His monster friends were all kind of weird too.

Illithid with no psychic powers, adamantly denies liking brains to humans that stop by.
Hobgoblin former war chief whose son usurped him because he couldn't bring himself to kill his own son to keep his position.
Cyclopian female, smitten with the Beholder. Awkward and shy.

I wrote a solo dungeon where the character got turned into a beholder for a while.

Attached: space beholder.jpg (539x709, 91K)

Attached: beholder adventurer.jpg (800x800, 174K)

That looks so cool.

Attached: beholder dwarf.jpg (2660x2536, 1.06M)

Thanks for this user, I really needed a laugh and this got me.

Attached: laughter.gif (200x150, 1.65M)

I fucking love beholders. They're awesome.

They throw out 6 save-or-suck effects a turn, they can fly and they're intelligent magic users. They're powerful, and they're going to fight intelligently, setting up traps and building defensive positions using their eyebeams that benefit them.

I once ran a oneshot where the players had to break into the mountain base of a beholder crimelord. The crimelord had a pet gazer he called "princess" that he treated the way models treat tiny handbag dogs. The one-shot ended with a confrontation against the beholder in his cavernous lair. There was a giant pile of glittering treasure in the centre, surrounded by the petrified statues of the beholder's victims. The players had to fight the flying beholder and his gazers while weaving through the statues (difficult terrain).

Also: Instead of regular eyebeams, Princess could cast healing word.

It was an awesome fight!

Attached: 245beholderlaser.jpg (921x636, 356K)

Me. Spelljammers maden them interesting, but my favorite was runnign them through an Overseer's lair.

Especially when they realized the real threat were not the trio of beholders, but the thing that looked like a tree that was controlling the trio of beholders.

The panic was lovely.

Attached: b73accb596f84e0efa6d56f5c70e34ab.jpg (976x982, 160K)

Did they manage to kill him

beholders are cute CUTE

Attached: 1515634248759.jpg (570x737, 52K)

I do. They are awesome.

The arch mage of the local college is one. He like to drink and goes on massive benders all the time but is actually very responsible and cares alot for his students. Like the college itself he is somewhat true neutral but is neutral good most of the time.

>likes to drink
Where does the beer go, he's just a giant head

Telekinesis ray

>Where does the beer go
Like his high status, it goes straight to his head

This has come up, and he always answers with the same thing: Don't ask questions you aren't prepared to handle the answers to.
But really he has a stomach and just likes to fuck with people.

To his B-hole, durr.

One of my players payed gold out the ass and dragged a dead beholder (which wasn't hard, since they float naturally) all the way back to a powerful transmuter to get eye powers for himself, as per the hybrid rules in a splatbook we were using.

He's since had to wear an eyepatch over one eye in order to not constantly be emanating antimagic. The other one can disintegrate stuff at-will.

All this because I was running a gestalt game, and the sorcerer/ninja player wanted to become sasuke uchiha.

Beholders are a race of gentle watchers in my setting. They've more or less inserted themselves as observers and recorders of history. They take no sides and offer their boundless wisdom when it is needed.

But with any race, there is the oddball beholder that doesn't feel compelled to merely observe and instead seeks to mingle with the other races. This particular young female has become a good friend to the local lord and really likes bright colors.

This may or may not be a bullshit excuse to post cute beholder.

Attached: in_the_kawaii_of_the_beholder_by_pokketmowse-d2xfcw6.jpg (940x850, 238K)

Oh man, if you thought kobolds were bad. Now there is this

It would require two players to RP anyways.

Attached: B784B9AB-B746-4481-9AA9-1D665D7B361A.jpg (761x1000, 382K)

Give her bigger titties and i'd fuck her

>a single beholder thread vs multiple kobold threads made by a namefag

Attached: 1514836894698.png (670x503, 507K)

I would think beholders don't have any need for anything, and would just pass off important stuff to other PC's

>implying beholders would trust anything other than themselves

Now I'm imagining a beholder PC taking an important question item in it's mouth because it thinks the other PC's are inferior and can't be trusted

>Question
Fuck now I feel stupid

I have a campaign wherein the players are the guard to a town full of monster races.

The local school teacher is a beholder. She gets a kick out of teaching becasue she starts to see little bits of herself in the students as time goes on and that's a huge stroke to her ego.

check out Gazer on r34 if you want more of her. various sizes galore

Beholders seem to be one of the more original D&D monsters. Are they based on anything from myth?

Fun fact beholders have pouches under their tongue for storage, when it is time for copulation a male beholder attaches themselves to a female one angler fish style and she grows the bebehs in a wombsac under her tongue. Eventually it gets so swollen the beholder is immobile and tonnes of baby beholders slither out.

An experienced beholder hunter knows to check under the tongue for any valuables.

I had the AD&D I, Tyrant.

In that version, they were self-fertlizing hermaphrodites.

They are all original I think

this gave me an idea for a great setting
The players are all kobolds with actual kobold stats and the main enemies are beholders
This of course means no one can even try to get attached to a character, they'll be dropping like flies, but that's half the fun really
just prepare some different template character sheets for a few classes so the player just writes the new name whenever his kobold dies, in order to save time.

Heard of something like this in an old thread
It was called something like "the kobold squad" or something where you needed like 10 different sheets

Last campaign I used a beholder as a subboss. Kind of like a bench mark of power.
It was still a rough fight and a few of them almost died but it served it purpose.

4 and up if all 6 ppl come and play.
I'd recommend allowing them the option to gather Intel on the creature. Maybe somekind of weakness? Such as an illusion of another beholder.

In one campaign had one trapped in a colosseum type challenge for the PCs. One of whom was a shinies-addict, dude wanted to loot everything. So when they looted the beholder's corpse, I said the only thing of value was it's eye jelly. One local knowledge check later, the bard revealed that alchemists use beholder eye jelly as a major ingredient in glamour potions, and that they advertised it with the slogan "Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder."

Attached: xanathar.jpg (970x545, 186K)

Attached: 1511210597917.jpg (1229x650, 143K)

Fun fact- Beholders collect magic items and trophies not for their own entertainment, but because it's a biological need- they must observe things- usually magic items- in order to 'eat' the magic off of it. This magic later produces their eye beams.

It would've been so awesome if Xanathar was a sapient fish.

Yeah, he was ended by 20KG of C4 explosive and a man with titanium balls, also shit rolls on my part as a DM

Were you playing Shadowrun or what?

So they are on the Sixth Layer of the Abyss?

Currently going to be using them for the first time in a DnD game. There is a evil anti-magic religion that believes Beholders to be angels sent to cleanse the world of magical FILTH.

No, HEAVILY homebrewed D&D 5e with lots of house rules. My adventure setting is in a regular 5e world that gets invaded by near-future armed forces through a portal, they get to have fun squaring off with armored vehicles and exosuit soldiers and helicopter gunships with their standard gear.

Attached: YES.jpg (780x840, 205K)

All the fuckin time. Had a low magic setting campaign where the party didn't have access to magic until 5th level. Party had to go all survivalist against these all powerful beholders, super fuckin fun to run desu

Been meaning to use two in a campaign for a while. One being a ‘normal’ beholder and the other having been made by the first one’s nightmare about the most horrific abomination on Beholderkin he could imagine. So the first one wants the players to kill the second. The first one’s really paranoid and fidgety while the second is totally insane and sadistic.