Why is low magic/realistic fantasy so despised on Veeky Forums? Is nostalgia for shitty 80's fantasy really that strong?

Why is low magic/realistic fantasy so despised on Veeky Forums? Is nostalgia for shitty 80's fantasy really that strong?

Attached: endless trash.jpg (1280x720, 253K)

Probably because it has become the new cliche, helped along by the popularity of Game of Thrones. Most DM's don't have the time to make a low fantasy setting with as much lore as GoT so it tends to end up just being bland fantasy.

>Is nostalgia for shitty 80's fantasy really that strong?

Yes, but beside the point: simpler explanation is just that people who hang out on Veeky Forums as a hobby are tired of playing at level 1

Because of reddit.

>GoT
>Realistic
What a surprise, the guy who likes high fantasy is an idiot

What shitty 80s fantasy are you specifically talking about?

Presumably Red Sonja and such, where they had amazingly bad scripts plus amazingly good prop designers.

Attached: red sonja.png (1195x521, 1003K)

t. illiterate

I like all kinds of fiction

Attached: 1516499914232.jpg (800x999, 92K)

The answer lies within yourself.

Sorry was a literal light fantasy retelling of the War of the Roses without any magic for the first 4 seasons (outside of Dany bullshit) not realistic enough for you?

>800 foot wall made of ice
>cultures, economies, dynasties, and technology are all stagnant
>only two religions and languages on a continent the size of South America

Also I like most fantasy if done correctly. Just throwing in why I think low magic/realistic fantasy is becoming a hated thing and you can't deny that Game of Thrones was incredibly popular and shifted people toward low magic settings. Or you could just be an autist about it.

So you think GoT has NOTHING to do with the uprise in low magic/realistic fantasy as a thing and why people might not like it?

Im just sick of anime nat20 wuxia superhero shit where some guy jumps 50 feet because he has a +50 on jump checks. It's solved by not playing 3.5 or 4e. I mean, you can play them, just not with snowflake autists who think playing a fighter or ranger even a normal wizard is boring despite having never played any of those classes.

Why would it? Sure it’s “gritty” but throwing in senseless bloodshed and nudity doesn’t make something realistic

Because why would I want more realism in a hobby I use to escape reality?

Probably as a defensive reaction to low magic/realismfags shitting on high fantasy.

>cultures, economies, dynasties, and technology are all stagnant
but that's wrong, half of the major houses have only been in power for a few centuries and it's heavily implied there's an academic conspiracy going on which obscures ancient history of older houses like the Starks (for example knights being mentioned in history texts that were ostensibly written about a period before knighthood was even a concept in Westeros)

I subjectively prefer high fantasy, and find low fantasy or heavily realistic games dull in comparison.

This is the only answer this thread can provide you, because this is after all subjective opinion and preference.

But making it about medieval politicking, arranged marriages and settling matters with mundane arms/armor with almost no magic present is a damn sight more "realistic" than most popular fantasy. I'm not saying it's the best low fantasy thing but it fucking opened a lot of people up to the concept.

>All of the armor is completely dark drab schlock because of course black dye was cheap and everyone was too stupid to know how to produce dyes

Attached: 19F7E144-FA7D-4793-A04D-6EA94E00AF4B.gif (480x264, 1.54M)

Because most realism and low fantasy fags reee and screech about weeabo fightin man even in games geared more towards high fantasy. If you want low magic/realistic fantasy then play a system built for it or remove the options afterwards instead of demanding it be the default.

The fantasy isn't high fantasy enough yet. We need to get truly weird and rightly impossible.

Attached: lp205cz9xfg01.jpg (640x480, 181K)

It often feels dishonest to me. Like it wasn't made or used for its own merits, but instead made directly as a targeted response at high fantasy instead. There's this smug sense of superiority about, like it's so much more mature to go with this polarizing setting rather than the other polarizing setting, or anything in-between.

Look at us, we have humans only!

Look, magic is evil and inherently malicious and feared.

Everyone treats each other like crap, and everything is cynical and pessimistic because that's what reality is actually like all the time.

In the later seasons, maybe. Dorne had some shiny bits.

Also the books were way more colourful. Blue beards and shit.

Because any grognard who runs low magic/realistic fantasy makes the PCs start out as peasant loser shitfarmers who die from infection if they so much as scrape their knee, and can barely walk and talk at the same time if the probabilities of dice rolls are to be believed. That sort of shit isn't fun when you play it straight.

>it's an "user who can't grasp relative concepts spergs out over people implying Game of Thrones is more 'realistic' than D&D" episode
Dang it, I've already seen this one.

>Why is low magic/realistic fantasy so despised on Veeky Forums?

It's not.

The answer to almost every "Why does Veeky Forums hate X?" question is "It doesn't, fuck off."

>Veeky Forums likes /pol/

Me favorite is Medium Fantasy where there are some elements of fantasy involved, but they're unevenly distributed between common and really outlandish.

Like orcs, elves, dwarves, and other fantasy races are treated as normal races that have biological functions, and even if they may have a magical origin they don't have any magical inclination to alignments or magic powers.

Along with this, magic is rare but not unheard of, mainly it's just a thing that's in the same light as some form of academics, sure there are some geniuses in the bunch in the form of sorcerers and such, but most that actually want to do magic are Monks and traveling wizards that learn their skills through endless honing of their skills or endless self practice before you even start to see magic missiles. It's not like everyone in the world gets an education anyway, and it's not like taking a class in arcane theory automatically makes you able to wipe tour ass with magic all day either.

It's elements of fantasy that exist, but aren't treated in such a way that there are going to be cities with magical stores, or entire nations where everyone is treated as a 1st level wizard.

It feels like childish negation because it usually is. Most fantasy authors don't have the nuance to actually write a realistic feeling world and just write "not-Tolkien" or "not-D&D".

When it's done right, it's fun; I love me some Scott Lynch, for example.

a better explanation would be that Veeky Forums hates everything, asking why is pointless

>Blue beards and shit.
Brienne's armor was also cobalt as fuck, after she got into Renly's guard, and Renly's own armor was forest green, iirc.

Because it's fucking BORING. We LIVE in a realistic world already. Why waste precious gaming time playing in a setting where a single nick of a thorn dooms you to a horrible, horrible death by way of blood poisoning?

except 80's fantasy was more realistic than modern fantasy today

Attached: 1518641073610.jpg (992x1220, 321K)

Me, personally? Because even when it isn't trying to ride Gurm's coattails harder than Dabid and Dabid, even when it isn't being written by edgy cunts with no respect or enthusiasm for the fantasy genre and have forgotten the face of their father, it usually uncritically swallows all the memes about the Middle Ages circulated during the Enlightenment by people who wanted to puff up their own time.

And, as a result, is no more realistic and mature than the fantasy it acts like it's more """""""realistic""""""" and """""""mature""""""" than.

>low magic/realistic fantasy
Because it's too realistic. Most people want to escape reality and play something they are not in a world of impossibility.

mad as fuck

It’s either bland or needlessly edgy. Often both.

Its dull and boring, if I wanted low fantasy of LARP. Slinging radical spells and fighting demigods is a much more fun story to tell

Renly's Kingsguard was literally called the Rainbow Guard, wore rainbow cloaks, and each had color-coded armor like they were Power Rangers or some shit.

Attached: Krull Glaive.jpg (628x472, 120K)

Yeah. It was dope. Books are way better than the show.

Because idiots keep trying to use systems that can't handle it for shit and 'realistic' fantasy is usually codeword for edgy bullshit.

Don't forget Tywin had that Brax dude who had a flowing purple cloak and a two foot unicorn horn on his helmet.

Because realistic fantasy misses the point of fucking fantasy

Krull was great though.