/GURPSGEN/ Lovely edition

It's /GURPSGEN/, where we can argue for hours about whether or not a staff should have Iron bits on the end or not

Question of the day: What's your favourite memory of playing GURPS?

Attached: GURPS general.pdf (PDF, 888K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/kRh5LB2c
warehouse23.com/products/caravan-to-ein-arris-gurps-fourth-edition)
enragedeggplant.blogspot.com/2018/03/fantasy-diseases.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generally_Accepted_Accounting_Principles_(United_States)
wp.me/p3tZqv-oN
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FRNjYh3vsI1paqjEK-JYfwlvLinjTDsMGEONbsj9lkk/edit?usp=sharing
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Last Thread

One of my players designing his character completely around being able to build and operate an improvised jetpack made of fire extingushers

Tell us more user, both about the character and how it worked crunchwise

New and curious? Want your friends to play? Have a free resource which boils the game down to its essence: GURPS Lite.

Lite gives you the essential rules while stripping away the rest of the crunchy chaff. It also strips the list of traits down considerably, dropping supernatural, exotic, and most cinematic traits.

Full license: pastebin.com/kRh5LB2c
>you may distribute this PDF file freely under the above restrictions, and post copies of it online.

Also, be sure to check out the Caravan to Ein Arris, which is a FREE adventure which works with just the rules present in Lite. (warehouse23.com/products/caravan-to-ein-arris-gurps-fourth-edition)

Best advice I have for getting your friends to play: make pregenerated characters (full basic set optional) and give them a choice between them, use only the rules in Lite, run a one-shot and do something GURPS can do that other games struggle with.

Think of Lite as the core of the game, and the rest of the basic set, etc, as building off of that. It's super important that you remember that GURPS is modular. Rules are meant to be ignored, swapped, or added as needed to suit the tone and the fun.

Attached: GURPS 4e Lite with Cover.pdf (PDF, 2.95M)

What's the proper way to stat a ghost, or some other entity with no physical form?

Attached: 127659_0.jpg (630x630, 98K)

Possession
Intangible
And often diffuse/unkillable

Is there a statblock for zombies with vulnerable heads?

Are there any good statblocks out there for mythical heroes?

For example, what would Achilles actually look like if made in GURPS? I feel like, reading Unkillable it actually wouldn't be that appropriate for him even though Achilles Heel is a disadvantage modifier for it, since Achilles was simply invulnerable, rather than able to be hurt, just not killed by things.

Attached: Achilles.jpg (704x378, 67K)

New dumps of the Grimwyrd sagas!
kendelyzer.wordpress.com

Chapter two begins, with 100% more doses of ELF

Attached: a6c9506bbb14d5d8343566d9eb7e6314.jpg (500x744, 66K)

GURPS zombies

>Chapter two begins, with 100% more doses of ELF

Absolutely disgusting, I hate those knife eared freaks

Expected more from you Balthazarr

Reading through GURPS Basic, in the section on combat. It says that you can only pick up an object from the ground if you are kneeling, crawling, sitting, or lying down. It seems strange to me that crouching is not included on that list. Is crouching mechanically identical to one of those other postures, or is there some mechanical or simulationist reason one cannot pick up an object while crouching, or is this merely an oversight by the writers?

Attached: キャプチャ.jpg (292x150, 24K)

>Question of the day: What's your favourite memory of playing GURPS?
>implying I've ever actually played GURPS instead of drooling autistically over the epically awesome books
Pic related.

Attached: TIE Fighter and GURPS Vehicles dogfighting.png (457x608, 34K)

Mmmmmyep delicious ELF

What can I say? I only inserted ONE major npc made to suit my deviant lifestyles. A man has needs son, even if some of them are just detested

How do you get your hand holding done in a day?

Attached: b2af5792068e4e7e23c463e674cfb862.jpg (905x1280, 178K)

The Spirit meta-trait in Basic is a good start. Fantasy and Horror have some suggestions for variants.

Horror, p.91 or Zombies, p. 90.

It seems to be an oversight, since Martial Arts (p. 104) implies that picking things up from the ground while crouching is fine:
>Readying a weapon from the ground normally takes two Ready maneuvers: one to kneel or crouch and grab it, one to prepare it for combat. Assuming a low posture at the start of your first turn counts as a “step”; so does standing up at the end of your second turn. However, you can try a showy Ready maneuver that lets you grab and ready a weapon in one second. This requires a DX or Fast-Draw roll, at -3 if you crouch first or -5 if you use a foot to flip the weapon into your hand while standing.

Mother of God

Oversights, IN THE BASIC SET?!

SHIT!!!

Attached: 1454237776146.png (318x186, 62K)

I think it's an oversight, although you could argue that a GURPS crouch is only a shallow crouch, not low enough for a normal human to touch the floor with their hands or that since entering or leaving a crouch is so easy (usually a free action) it wouldn't really limit people from picking things up at all.

Still loving these

Thanks mang!

I'm happy to keep posting them :)

Attached: 1443097689140.png (804x1044, 918K)

You've got some weird masochistic thing going for elves. They seem to suffer a lot in your games.

Noooooooooooooo

Maybe

Really? Or is it just npcs in general getting shit upon? Aachen was the victim of several dozen bad rolls on his part. The Rover duellist, yellow prince, gets justiced. Syviis...well, let's just say she respects swords swing by demons.

But I kinda get when the elf nation is that upon...yeah okay. Elves kinda get fucked in Grimwyrd. You have a point.

I suppose I should redeem them one day. Maybe run a space opera with romulan/elf star empire best broballies for earth? Physically semi compatible aliens who show us through the awkward infancy of space domination?

Attached: Deloth-Ainur.jpg (736x999, 49K)

cosmic DR is a start, you may need to adjust it for the maximum damage you'd expect in your campaign to be "invulnerable", since literal invulnerability will have infinite points cost.

how did you find my stat sheet

Are there any templates for creatures like the Kobolds in Warcraft?

Attached: screen-koboldgeomancer[1].jpg (800x600, 89K)

Is there any way to cancel the No Peripheral Vision penalty for using full helmet? I'm well aware it's cinematic, by the way.
One way I figured was using Penetrating Vision (Limited, Helmet, -60%) [4] (metal is -40%, it decreases some if you include leather and cloth but increases if you limit "range" and add some accessibility).

Armor is very cheap and light for SM-1 and SM-2 creatures, while having the same DR. This makes dwarves/halflings more tanky compared to humans. Is this a problem or am I missing something?

Lets say invulnerable to any attacks from handheld weapons, even those wielded by other heroic warriors. Maybe even higher tech level weapons like guns, or siegr weapons like catapult shots or something. I'm sure if Zeus wanted to end his life with a bolt of lightning though, he could. What DR would be good for that?

Unless you're getting free reign to minmax the hell out of whatever racial templates you want, it's my understanding that these kinds of benefits are balanced by a penalty to ST, possibly basic move, and other various negative quality of life features and suitable disadvantages (small weapons, social stigma, etc).

There's also multiple downsides, like being able to get grappled into submission very easily because you're TINY. IT all tends to balance out.

Even halflings have ST 5 racially, but can buy it up to ~20 (DF11, page 5), making this a non-issue.

You'd still need to buy five more levels of ST than someone of a larger race to reach parity, which in my mind is more than enough of a point-tax to balance out the armor conundrum.

>buy five more levels of ST than someone of a larger race
Yeah, but wouldn't you just spend the points you got from the points disadvantage "Reduced strength" on your racial template?

Note that it's hard to get the points to buy that much ST in DF. Most of your points are eaten by your template, so you give up stuff to get a halfling with ST to match a human, much less a half ogre.

In Dungeon Fantasy armor weighs and cost the same at all SM, to keep the things 'balanced' I guess.

Is DR 8 good in the post apocalypse

Not really talking about DF here, but a more realistic game. Was only mentioning DF supplements because they have racial templates and maximum ST values. We're using LTC2 armor scaling rules.

If you're playing a halfling while trying to match a human at the same time you are doing it wrong, at that point play a human with dwarfism.

Racial templates will always give you some kind of advantages that aren't available for humans, so you pay it with that penalty to ST which you can buy later, the penalty to hit is already that good.

How does Discworld magic work /GURPSGEN/

Would GURPS work for a Conan / Gray fafhrd and mouser style game with few players that are very heroic? What would a good starting point value?

In a realistic game? Very. DR 8 is "bulletproof" against most pistols (50/50 is "bulletproof" in GURPS) and "proof" against swing+2 or +3 with ST 13. Against bigger guns, higher ST, or AP ammo not so much or if you want "immunity."

For damage take the dice and multiply by 3.5 then add the bonus. This is what you're "proof" against. Multiply by 6 instead to find "immune."

Am I allowed to use other systems than GURPS?

Any time I bring up trying to run a game in a different thread, GURPS is shoved down my throat

I really really like the system, but my friends don't want to play it and frankly I don't feel like convincing them when a much easier system is around the corner

Only Genesys.

>Am I allowed to use other systems than GURPS?
No.

>my friends don't want to play it
Who needs friends?

>Who needs friends?
Has anyone played GURPS solo? How did it go?

Are there any good tutorials out there for learning how to play a solo game?

What's the context user? can your small creatures get high stats like normal sized ones? if so, it sounds minmaxy, otherwise it is balanced.

I know it's considered a shitpost, but how is "100 points in guns" balanced at all? Like, besides a GM just saying no (which doesn't really mean much, many systems would be more balanced if you took out shit) how can you fight against someone with 100 points in guns?

>how can you fight against someone with 100 points in guns?
I use my Rank 8 [40] to call alpha strike on it.

I am not sure what should be considered a racial maximum. Does 1,5 x racial ST - SM sound fair?

The "Reverse Missiles" spell and a high Magery.

20 points in Stealth related skills

0 points in anything, but basic Status 0 legal protections that make shooting you unwise.

20 points in Guns, 20 points in Stealth, 20 points in Perception, 20 points in Advantages to allow you to legally kill and 20 points in basic speed wins every time.

There are tons of gm emulator books, and a lot of solo role-playing advice out there. Mythic is the traditional choice, though there are a lot of other good choices. I haven't run gurps with it though.

There's also apparently a solo adventure in the 3e books? But I don't know anything about it.

It really depends on your races, maybe you have a race that can get really strong even for its size, has a high potential of gaining stats, or totally the opposite.

Also, an SM-2 race starting with 5 ST will have a maximum of 5.5 ST according to your formula, maybe 2x or even 3x is more adequate.

If this is the OP from the other thread, don't put the word "GURPS" in the OP post. You're basically wearing an "I hate niggers" sign in Detroit.

Yeah, 2x - SM sounds better, thanks.

>a much easier system is around the corner
End this meme.

If your GM/you are merciful you can just make it a Perk.

But it's true though, Basic set is formatted like shit

Are there rules anywhere for applying advantages to items? So I can do things like guns that shoot out mystical fireball innate attacks, or pogo sticks with Super Jump

They're devices if they grant you the ability and can be stolen/destroyed. If they can't be stolen/destroyed then it's just fluff.
If you have the power with any gun or pogo stick it is a limitation on the power "requires gun/item of choice, -X"

>devices
I meant Gadgets. Thought of M&Ms version.

>This specific gun shoots fireballs
Add Gadget limitations; they’re listed after all other limitations in the Basic Set.
>Any gun in my hand shoots fireballs
Add Accessibility (Only when holding [THING]|, -X%).

Is there somewhere big list (effects, costs, and general ways to get 'em) of diseases, plagues, poisons and drugs'n'shit?

Not really. There are some poisons in Basic Set, High-Tech, Low-Tech, Bio-Tech, and Ultra-Tech, some drugs in Bio-Tech and Ultra-Tech, diseases in Bio-Tech. If you are looking for fantasy poisons, you could take a look at DF1,8,12.

Also, there are some D&D diseases converted here: enragedeggplant.blogspot.com/2018/03/fantasy-diseases.html

Sadly they aren't complied anywhere (a good idea for a project) but there are plenty of resources.

Page 437 of the Basic Set is a good place to start poison, while 439 has diseases. This can be all you need if you.

Page 128-130 of Low Tech has a list of poisons, there are more (and drugs) on pages 226-227 of High Tech. After that I feel like there are some in Biotech.

Good luck!

Attached: 971.png (549x800, 376K)

Still reading through the Basic Set. Page 406 says that when you successfully remove a pick-type weapon from an enemy's body, it does half the damage the original wound did. Is this a new wound that ignores DR?

Attached: キャプチャ.jpg (311x135, 21K)

Yes, removing something that already penetrated DR bypasses DR, but not Injury Tolerance.

Not what i'd expected, but thanks. Also what about pyramids?

What if you want it to be a general item anyone can use? Like certain magic items in D&D

Convert it to equipment by giving it a cash cost based on its point value.

Simple way:
Make advantage, no gadget limitations!.
Calculate it's cost as 50% of starting wealth in bucks per character point, i.e. $500 per character point at TL3.
Slap advantage $ cost to actual gear as extra cost.
Tweak costs in game to fit "popular = cheaper" or whatever you feel suitable.

Yep, this is for wounds, not for damage, so it's after all modifiers, the HP damage dome rather then the dice roll. Picks are dangerous.

Somebody played with "Broken Blade" rules, pyra 3/87?
How strong it affect gameplay in terms of excess dice rolls and extra useless number counting.

>besides a GM just saying no (which doesn't really mean much, many systems would be more balanced if you took out shit)
You don't need to rely on GM fiat. Just use the Maintaining Skills rule in Social Engineering: Back to School, and make the obvious extrapolation.

>If you have Guns between DX-5 and DX-1, you must spend half an hour practicing every ten years (extrapolated)
>If you have Guns between DX+0 and DX+4, you must spend half an hour practicing every six months (semi-RAW)
>If you have Guns between DX+5 and DX+9, you must spend half an hour practicing every two weeks (RAW)
>If you have Guns between DX+10 and DX+14, you must spend half an hour practicing every single day (RAW)
>If you have Guns between DX+15 and DX+19, you must spend half an hour practicing EVERY SINGLE HOUR (extrapolated)

Voila! It's literally impossible to have Guns higher than DX+14, which costs 52 points, not 80 points. If you try to raise your skill above that, you'll be rolling vs. IQ every hour to avoid forgetting the excess levels. Even if you take Eidetic or Photographic Memory, you can expect one critical failure every week or so.

Attached: GURPS 80guns rebuttal.png (629x528, 38K)

Why are Guns Easy, and not Average, if something intuitive like Accounting is Hard?

Babies can shoot themselves in the head, but show me a single count of one balancing a budget.

>Accounting
>intuitive
Having taken (and enjoyed) an accounting class in high school, I have to say that it is not particularly intuitive.
Also, it's more than just "assets minus liabilities equals equity" and "income minus expenses equals change in equity": en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generally_Accepted_Accounting_Principles_(United_States)

Operating a gun is not exactly difficult or physically demanding - the skill is DX based after all. Accounting isn't just basic math, but also knowing the laws and methods that come with the field. Plenty of people need an accountant to deal with this shit.

What hard should be within "point that and press this"?
With accounting you should know and understand much more things.

>DX based skill
>needing to roll IQ to keep it
>what is muscle memory

Yes, it's excellent for omni-competent heroes in a gritty world. Points level is often questionable, as some people feel that a given rating is more impressive than others, but I'd say something like 300-350 points for F&GM (what Action 4 recommends for an action buddy-movie style) which is enough for a DF template plus one or two lenses (thief/swashbuckler/wizard and barbarian/swashbuckler/thief for those two) and maybe 350-400 for Conan (which would let him get barbarian, knight, scholar and possibly thief).

Check out Metatronic Generators in Pyramid 46

Even if you're rolling vs. DX rather than vs. IQ, you'll still get critical failures.

Dude, give it up

>But I can use muscle memory to maintain my muscle memory right?

>Get DFRPG Box
>In the middle of campaign, chat with friends about GURPS, pitch idea of running a game when campaign is over
>ForeverDM all for it. Crush memes if "Muh calculus" with one guy, others okay
>Campaign coming to a close, getting hype for my game
>Talk to players about what they'd like to do/play
>Craft pregens for teaching session
>Campaign closes, mention running DFRPG
>"Oh yeah, other user offered to run this game he found online, it sounds breddy gud"
>mfw we're gonna play some shitty HALO homebrew instead of DFRPG
>mfw playgroup doesn't have the common courtesy to say "We'd rather do X than Y."

Those CHILDREN

Also
>Homebrew Halo system
Mother of God. GURPS would do fine to run that too!

Attached: 1457329545345.jpg (745x1173, 137K)

you'd have to spend them as apportioned by the rest of the template, and you CAN'T cut things out of a racial template. So it's still a net zero leaving you with no extra points after the -30 points towards strength

If you were doing a Sleeping Dogs game, or Yakuza (the video game) game, where 100% of the action is kung-fu, but the game isn't "about" kung-fu, it's about beating up bad guys, is that Action 3 or is that Martial Arts?

Action 3. A3 makes heavy use of Martial Arts (expanded techniques and combat options), but it also puts it in a out-of-the-box cinematic framework that fits those games' tone quite well.

For the record, Martial Arts is more than just kung fu. It covers all sorts of combat from Hoppolite shield-and-spear and Grecco-Roman wrestling/boxing to medieval knightly combat (including from horseback) and knife fighting to CQC/FCCS and sports fencing.

New post!

wp.me/p3tZqv-oN

Work was slow so I got it out quick. Lots of polish

Thank you, darling!

That would be okay since the average character will have more DX than IQ, and rolling against IQ with a penalty is more severe.

Another twisted battle for the heroes. Thanks!

Attached: 1392677283005.jpg (426x640, 67K)

I made a calculator that can convert IRL gun stats into gurps easily and quickly. You need bullet mass, muzzle velocity, caliber and gun mass to compute gun damage, recoil and strength requirement. It works by finding a few closest matches to your input stats and interpolating all values from the closest matches to get stats for your gun.

It seems to work pretty well for guns ranging from pistols to large caliber rifles, and gives somewhat reasonable numbers out to 30mm autocannons too. It can quickly give you at least a baseline that you can tweak to match what you need.

It only has guns from high tech so it won't give very good matches for hypervelocity railguns, for example, but even those seem to give somewhat reasonable numbers that can be fixed with tweaking wound multipliers and armor divisors.

here's a link to google sheets:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FRNjYh3vsI1paqjEK-JYfwlvLinjTDsMGEONbsj9lkk/edit?usp=sharing

What advantage is there to using a parrying dagger over a shield? Espeacilly with a fencing weapon

Dear /GURPSGEN/,
I am trying to figure out which rules I would like to use for a martial arts tournament game. I started with basic set, added in martial arts, and then ran into a problem. Martial Arts seems to have some gaps in the rules representing Grappling. Basic things a grappler would want to do, like switch which part of the body he or she is grappling, don't really have adequate rules, IMO. However, the Technical Grappling rules seem weird and videogamey to me, and seem to add tons of extra bookkeeping. Has anyone here played with the Technical Grappling rules?

>with a fencing weapon
Weight.

Parrying daggers are light, compact, easy to carry and make a serviceable if unspectacular weapon in the event you chose to strike with them (shields, especially small bucklers, tend to be less effective).

Many parrying daggers, and styles that focused on fighting with a knife in the off hand, were styles intended for personal defense with a sidearm carried routinely. This means that you won't necessarily have the most effective weapons, but instead have what you are carrying every day. This is how people end up fighting with a smallsword in one hand and a coat wrapped around their other arm.