So you're a fit and proper Norscan in good standing with your tribe waking up on the day of your 14th birthday...

So you're a fit and proper Norscan in good standing with your tribe waking up on the day of your 14th birthday, wondering what the day will bring. Your 12th birthday saw your first kill, your 13th your first duel to the death (your best friend of 8 years Bjorkbork wasn't nearly as handy with an axe as you), and you're curious what right of passage awaits you this year.

Your father leads you through the twisted gnarly woods, the severed heads and impaled bodies that line the path remind you of your youth. He speaks cruelties to you (ones you know born of love) in your strange, ungainly, and you're pretty sure at least partially made up tongue, before pushing you into THE PIT that you've only heard rumors of before this day.
You awaken a few hours later with a compound fracture in your shin, which you're thankful for as you wish to face this trial energized. You see 4 symbols on the wall in front of you, placed above 4 alters to your gods and only 4, your tribe's elders decided long ago that the 5th one just complicated things. You know by choosing one you will forever devote yourself and your soul to them, in exchange for wicked sweet powers and unspecified and vaguely described drawbacks.

Which will you choose?

Attached: chaos_gods_symbols_by_ivanmercenario-d9yx5q7.jpg (850x940, 156K)

That one.

Attached: tinted_mark_of_slaanesh_by_koilungfish[1].jpg (772x809, 128K)

Is it just me or do the Norscans (and pretty much all the other chaos tribes) seem kind of like they would be rather more into Khorne than the others? Like, I have a hard time picturing a bunch of vikings / slavs / huns who were really into Tzeentch or even Nurgle.

On the other hand, I guess it does make up for the fact Khorne is just generally unappealing.

Attached: 1491641544419.gif (283x400, 644K)

Warhammer Fantasy had a pretty good take on Chaos for much of its run and it's worth reading some of the fluff for that.

As far as I recall, most Norscan tribes described as leaning towards a particular god venerate Khorne, like Aeslings for example.

Wow. A piece of my work on Veeky Forums Makes me kinda proud. OP image.
Wasnt expecting to be that one thogh.

"Huh, I wonder what this one does"

Attached: cross.gif (220x220, 24K)

Are there Chaos Tribes that venerate Tzeentch? I'd love to see some Barbarians with that sweet blue bird aesthetic he's got.

Slaanesh. I want to look like Julia Vins with one or more slithery serpent cocks

Honest to god?
Nurgle.
Yeah you're stricken with turbo aids but you don't feel it. You get to live until something kills you and you're VERY hard to kill.
But at the end of the day you get a chaos god who at the very least isn't likely to kill you on purpose and maybe even cares about you. Better than dying just because your god feels like it, because its part of the plan, or because its the only way to tickle your pickle anymore.

I'm going to shove the Chaos Gods into a closet.

Attached: Asuryan.jpg (661x711, 72K)

THIS ACTION DOES NOT MY HAVE MY CONSENT

Tzeentch is associated closely with foul weather and the sea, so he's actually reasonably popular. Nurgle is inexplicably quite popular as well. Off-hand, there's the Glottkins' underlings, the Skinriders, and the Rotbloods.

Fuck off Azunyan, you are literally the most irresponsible god in the setting.

The fifth one

Psh, who listens to the village elders anymore? You can't tell me what to do, Dad! Fifth god for life!

Can I defile all four alters? What happens if I do

>not beating Archaon's ass and being the next Everchosen

Attached: 1520687535837.png (780x780, 84K)

Can I just fuck everything up instead?

Attached: Khaine.jpg (1920x1080, 1.43M)

Khorne is the best choice. Be a fucking manly killing machine.

it
SUMMONS THE ELECTOR COUNTS

Attached: 1446357262247.jpg (1280x720, 84K)

>Karl Franz arrives
>"You have chosen well, young Norscan"
>Crushes your skull with his skull crushing hammer

Real talk, I'd probably pick Khorne, seems like it has the least strings attached. You just become a berserk madman instead of a plague vector, chaos spawn or a /d/eviant

Every time someone dismisses a creative thread for being off-topic, Yotsuba cries.

Attached: Screenshot2012-06-15at93200AM.png (280x210, 69K)

Kek, I want to see a comic of this now.

Honestly my head-cannon is that you don't choose chaos, chaos chooses you. It depends on your personal vices.

I feel like it's a little of column A a little of column B.

A person may just be deprived enough to garner the attention of Slaanesh or they could go "I bet this would get the attention of that chaos god" and then pierce their nipples with dick shaped piercings and guzzel a goblet of horse semen mixed with opium.

Sure, but you already have to be a little fucked in the head to turn to chaos don't ya think?

The Hound is the most popular but the Eagle controls the shifting seas and flies high above the rest of the mongrels. The tribe may venerate the Hound but the higher ups will see the Eagle's span. The Crow feasts upon the weak and decrepit, a perfect summary of norscan life. Beyond that the Crow also offers even more resilience to the harsh climes that Norsca offers. And to a Norscan, the Serpent isn't the same as slaanesh where everything is a depraved, debauched mess. Norscans only know discomfort and pain so the Serpent's seductions are the small comforts they fine and grow ever slowly. The warm bed back home, the fine tankard of mead and nice piece of mammoth fat waiting for you at the end of the raid are all the Serpent's and no Norscan will ever deny their comforts.

>"Well, i choose none because last time poppa went with big chaos army their leader had his skull caved in by a fucking orc"

Nah, he'd be more like
>"let's pay a visit to your dad's tribe, just to show them what a real god can do"

Stand in the exact middle between and bend your spine vigorusly. All four are part of your life and devoted faith should not be divided

The Sarl are often Raven venerating.

>you don't feel it
Oh you do. You grow numb to it tho. And it's that uncomfortable that some stabs by points objects don't add much to it.

Push all the buttons at once, hopefully don't turn into a spawn

You always end up as one of three things: dead, spawn/were beast, demon.

Wouldn't Volkmar be more logical for this?

I choose this one.

Attached: Ulric's_symbol-0.png (451x432, 384K)

Khorne.
He seems like the god that has the least horrific drawbacks other than your really fucking mad all the time I'm already like that to begin with
Plus hes the easiest to please since all you have to do is fight shit

Attached: th.jpg (474x517, 31K)

>easiest
>All you have to do is fight.

Nope, not quite. You do not 'just fight' you must dedicate yourself entirely to it, no downtime, no earthly pleasures, no nothing, you will become a hollow and inhuman thing propelled by bloodlust the person you once were never knew.

You will be dead, your corpse will be fighting for Khorne.

ORKS IS MADE FER FIGHTIN' AND WINNIN'

In that case not only have you pissed off the chaos gods, but your tribe will rip your lungs out for cowardice or something

All these modern lies about the Norse being chaos worshipers need to stop.

I mean I'm sure some are just like in the Empire but the Norse aren't a marauder tribe.

the chaos god they had was tied up with the entrails of his son and left ina cave underground with his wife and a snake to drip venom into his eyes.

I don't think they were much into the whole chaos thing.

nigga there's an entire board of this creativity if you want to see it so much.
/qst/ actually isn't that bad

what the fuck are you talking about. Literally every sauce older then 1ed WFRPG says Norscans are Chaos worshipping marauders. They are more civilized then the Kurgan, yes, but they still venerate the Four.

With the norscans being Viking stereotypes tzeentch makes sense if you look at loki and odin in depth

A number of the norse tales involve trickery and just as planned moments.

Not cowardice, just a good reminder that chaos at it's strongest loose to a single orc, ergo i should devote myself to gork/mork if i want to win

Storm of chaos got retconned, that never happened

It would be easy to say that the Norsemen worship the Dark Gods, even easier to say that they are a soulless horde with no regard for life or the suffering they cause. It is true Norsemen see mutations as blessings from their Gods, and they festoon their bodies with tattoos and symbols of the Dark Gods to attract their attention, but to say the Norsemen are unthinking slaves to the Ruinous Powers is simply false.

The Norsemen see themselves as honest men, strong, mighty, and courageous. And for these virtues, they thank the Gods. They worship the Gods they do because they see their power in all things, and arevividly reminded of their potency. Southern Gods, like Sigmar, are weak in comparison to the primal forces of life and death represented by their deities. To the Norsemen, the blessings of their Gods (e.g. mutations) are the clearest sign of their power, proving to them that the Gods of the Empire are weak and impotent.

Norse religion is dynamic and complex, featuring a broad pantheon of Ancestors, Heroes, Daemons, and Gods. The Gods themselves vary from tribe to tribe, but each group of Norsemen embrace a pantheon that reflects four central themes: War, Desire, Decay, and Hope. Norse pantheons rarely feature just a single God per theme, rather they may have several. Instead of a single God of Battle, they might have three: one for wrath, another for death, and a last for excellence in arms. Though they have broad pantheons, Imperial theologians believe these Gods are but aspects of four Dark Gods. They go on to suggest the various heroes are those mortals who likely gained a Mark of Chaos or were transformed into Daemons. Clearly, there are many parallels between the beliefs of the Norse and those upheld by the Kurgan and others in the Chaos Wastes. But some Norsemen also venerate some

Imperial Gods like Ulric and Taal, giving the theologians of the Empire no shortage of religious frustrations. Naming all the Norse Gods is impossible, as each community adds
their own idols and heroes to the core set of deities worshipped by most Norsemen.

Even the most popular divine figures are not universally upheld, since the northern tribes worship the Gods that are closer approximations to the Dark Gods than do the southern tribes. Still, there
are some similarities. All pantheons feature a King of the Gods, who reflects the mortal King of the tribe. He is usually a war leader, powerful in battle but also wise. He typically has a wife who upholds womanly concerns such as home and hearth, marriage and motherhood. In addition, there are a number of Gods to represent the elemental forces offire, water, wind, and earth—these tend to correspond to the four ChaosGods, one of which is often the trickster God (almost always a parallel to Tzeentch). The rest of the Gods reflect the particular concerns of a community. Add to this hundreds of Hero-Gods and Daemons, and you come close to assembling a typical tribe’s pantheon. Curiously, many Norsemen believe in Gods with strong parallels to those worshipped in the Empire, although no Norseman believes in Morr, since the afterlife is closed to all but the most courageous warriors. The Norse versions are always more savage and vicious than their southern counterparts. For example, the Skaeling tribe claims a Daemon God named Mermedus, often believed to be a dark reflection of Manaan, dwells beneath the Sea of Claws. They depict him as a bulbous and ghoulish figure, bloated in death, and covered in bulging eyes. It’s said he walks on the sea floor, causing stormy waters to capsize ships and drown sailors. To appease this vile God, the Skaeling make Human and animal sacrifices, casting the weighted bodies down to distract the God from their voyage.

The Kurgan venerate the Ruinous Powers. They see these Gods as aspects of the natural world. A stroke of lightning might be the will of Tchar, the Changer of Ways, whilst an outbreak of sickness is the blessing of Nieglen, Father of Plagues. Every stone, every plant, and the very clouds that float through the skies hold the secrets of the Gods. No one Ruinous Power holds more sway than the rest. An individual tribe may uphold a single God or even a pair of them. Some tribes venerate all four and throw in a few other Gods as well. Generally speaking, the Kurgan know the Ruinous Powers by the names of Khorne, Loesh (Slaanesh), Nieglin (Nurgle), and Tchar (Tzeentch).

Chaos Undivided

Attached: Star_of_Chaos.jpg (610x645, 40K)

Kurgans

Necoho? I doubt that.

Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred from the cold furrow of mortal life. I embrace death without regret as I have embraced life without fear.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD

Tzeentch

Nurgle for I am in despair.

The Split Skull symbol they have tucked away in the corner.

Attached: Malal.gif (499x287, 1.96M)

Slaanesh, because I'm gonna loot, pillage, rape, loot and pillage some more. And then some more, and on and on, again and again.

Nurgle is the correct choice.

>Takes out little statue of horned rat
>Use it to slowly knock slaanesh symbol down

Attached: 15e598f60cf5cacef78ebed6fc0057b2[1].jpg (539x960, 68K)

Carve your own symbol and proclaim yourself prophet. Of course, one way or another it shall turn out your symbol was merely a forgotten sigil of Tzeentch, but all that matters is you tried.

Undivided or bust

>crash the altair

Attached: D9413ED2-935E-40EE-ADE7-1D5C4CE74DB2.png (250x287, 90K)

Sigmar is Ulric's bitch, anyway

>Fuck off Azunyan, you are literally the most irresponsible god in the setting.

Never!

Seems like a reasonable request.

Attached: Asuryan2.jpg (1108x1770, 259K)

Sources please as I'd be very interested in reading them.

First edition Warhammer had very little lore, the Forces of Fantasy expansion doesn't mention anything.

Second edition Battle Bestiary just says any human can be anywhere on the alignment spectrum and that the Norse trade and war with Norse Dwarfs living in the same area. Ravening Hordes doesn't mention chaos, has Norse Dwarf units available as standard and can take Empire and Kislev Mercenaries and Dwarven allies.

I choose Slaanesh, because what's the point of being a badass viking barbarian if you aren't doing any raping and pillaging?

I bow down to all the Gods.