Alright guys, let's talk mimics. What is your favorite thing that you've ever done with a mimic? Also...

Alright guys, let's talk mimics. What is your favorite thing that you've ever done with a mimic? Also, does a mimic's disguise automatically break when it's damaged? I usually make it a DC 20 + damage taken Disguise check to stay hidden. The look on my player's faces when they get grappled by a chest that they are 100% sure is not a mimic is just priceless.

Attached: ian-jacobson-mimic-drawingsmall1.jpg (400x400, 55K)

Other urls found in this thread:

naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Shiromari
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I once had a player spring a mimic while i knew it was his thing. He did get flustered, but the group beat it to death before it could properly handle someone.

Had an entire dungeon turn out to be a mimic. The walls were made of bone, but the PCs thought it was just some feature. The entrance had teeth but the PCs ignored it. It was very windy in places but again they ignored it.

Honestly I regretted it after because now they think I have a vore fetish and I magical realmed them instead of making a unique dungeon.

Have a story about mimics, my good anons.

Attached: mimic gm.png (5399x4622, 3.97M)

As for me, personally, I once had a campaign start at a tavern that was a mimic. Had to fight our way out through the wine cellar, which was no laughing matter since every cask seemed hellbent on eating our party and pickling us in spiced rum.

Attached: mimic_by_graphicgeek-d6j14jx.jpg (800x902, 78K)

your players are retarded if they think that is fetish bait.
I assume you got them off of here though.

OT, I'm not really a fan of the like, staying hidden mimic if it's every mimic, but if it's a particularly intelligent one, it's pretty fun every now and then.
For the most part though I like the vaguely sentient trap style of mimic, particularly if it's not always a chest. Having a bear trap leap 5 feet at a player who thought they were so smart for approaching it to set it off with a stick is fucking hilarious.

The joke was on everyone else. My rogue was actually a mimic as well; the rest of the tavern was like a starfish that I spawned from. It took them until 9th level to figure out 'we' had sacrificed most of 'our' biomass to integrate myself into the party. By that point, my character had already convinced the others to help me murder the wizard that created 'us'.

My end-of-campaign reward was to settle peacefully under the capitol and grow into a pronvince-wide psuedo-dungeon full of mimic knights.

Attached: mimic wanderer rogue.png (817x739, 254K)

And then you ate the entire province

That is a great idea, actually.

Actually, no. My time spent among the 'apes' had convinced me to not eat all of them (empathy being oddly infectious).
That being said, being a rogue, the Thieves' Guild moved into my chambers and became damn near impossible to fully uproot, but what's some crime compared to the comfort of knowing any Underdark/Hellvault invasion is doomed to become shoggoth+mimic-chow? Or a self-cleaning sewer with no dire rats or goblin infestations?

The party found a tall, cobblestone tower in the misty bog. The mist was thick, but still it seemed that the tower had not been there the minute before. When they came close to the door, they saw a long braid of slightly fuzzy brown hair trailing all the way down to the tower's base and heard a suspicously very high-pitched voice calling down to them, calling "Oh, brave heroes! Woe is me! My father, the king, locked me up in this tower, never to let me out unless a wed one whom I do not love! For political reasons! I implore you, come to me! Save m! The front door is unlocked, by my door is heavilybarred from the outside! Just open the door and come up! Save me, heroes! Save me!"

Looking up, the party could feintly see a woman in a frilly pink dress waving at them wildly. The cleric was very hesitant, for the realm had been reigned over by a foreign emperor for over two decades now, and the last monarch was a Queen with only one son, both long since slain. The low-INT paladin, meanwhile, almost immediately jumped to open the door, but the cleric held him off. The cleric called out the alleged princess at the top of the tower on her historical ignorance.

The princess's once ceaseless flailing about halted and then slumped over, glaring down at the party. This allowed them to feintly see that her skin looked rather fuzzy and felt-like, and that her eyes were buttons. "Can't blame a guy fer tryin'!" hacked out the mimic in a rough, masculine voice with a Cockney dialect as the door opened and a fleshy, toothy mouth lunged out to bite at the rogue, whom the cleric pulled out of the way by a hair. Four fleshy, clawed feet crashed through the tower's bottom sides, leaving rubble in its wake. The fleshy feet readjusted itself to the ground, and a high-level mimic boss fight ensued.

Attached: princess tower mimic.png (773x397, 23K)

Saw a post where someone suggested a mimic that disguises itself as a spell scroll and feeds off of frustration. It sneakily absorbs the ink in a caster's spell book rendering them useless and ticking them off. Might use this if tye wizard in my party gets enough in his book that it can be challenging to figure out what's going on without completely screwing him over

bro tier cleric ftw

Girly mimics!
Who lure idiotic adventurers who think they can fuck it into a never-ending pit.

Attached: kid_icarus_uprising_conceptart_e9NgX.jpg (356x600, 53K)

So.... my ex-wife?

ended up "taming" a mimic by feeding it some of the spare meat from a hunt after noticing a helmet approaching the campfire, I now enjoy the knowledge that one of those bandits is going to get decapitated by their armour almost every battle.

>What is your favorite thing that you've ever done with a mimic?
There haven't been mimics in the campaign since a while. Party entered an abandoned wizard city maintained by constructs. They had something important to find in the palace, but looted the easier to loot areas. At some point an argument broke out as most of the party wanted to proceed to the palace, but one guy wanted to explore the Mages Guild building. They split, and the lone guy went searching through guilds warehouses and the like. I had a powerful mimic placed there. Completely unsuspecting, the guy approached a massive chest and tried to open it, it grabbed him. He started to scream for help, but the party only managed to reach him as the mimic dealt the final blow. It's probably my favorite "this is why lone wolfs are stupidd" moment so far.

Once I made my players find a mimic in a (fake) treasure room, disguised as an ancient shield. Fun times.

Attached: bmZOlVm[1].png (903x1365, 156K)

My mimics are actually highly adaptive insects. Having evolved a chitinus plating that resembles hard woods or materials. They can spend a short phase molting an old or damaged disguise and grow a new one to fit their needs. These creatures are patient and quite intelligent, they will spend some time observing locations with higher taffic and will collect pecieved valuables to attract prey. Younger mimics aren't very experienced and they might gather weird objects or even use odd disguises in efforts to improve.

When stationary their bodies fold perfectly into their desired form to mimic. They can remain like this for months at a time in a state of suspended animation yet still aware of their environment via vibrations in thier immediate area.

Their chitin is so durable and effective at mimicing the material that smarter mimics will even design breaking points to further fool prey. The mimic is quite able to withstand alot of punishment before it feels it is threatened to break it's charade.

When finally revealing its true intentions, the mimic boasts a vicious set of crushing mandibles and two to six claw like appendages for grabbing and holding prey. They propel themselves on chitinous legs that allow for manuevering on the ground and walls.

Baby mimics are capable of disguising themselves as coins or jewelry and will remain with their mother for some time. Even staying in form if their mother is slai. and they are mistaken for real loot
only to later swarm over the unwary adventurer when they least expect it. Or make off with their valuables! All mimics big and small can excrete a potent adhesive slime as both a defense mechanism and a hunting tool. The slime hardens almost immediately upon contact and will even tear skin from flesh if improperly removed.

Mimic chitin and slime are prized crafting materials and experienced individuals can create the perfect conditions or mimics and are capable of peaceful interraction.

Mimic merchant mid-dungeon. They want to get rid of all this sharp crap they're carrying, they prefer coins.

>Mimic merchant mid-dungeon. They want to get rid of all this sharp crap they're carrying, they prefer coins.
This is a good idea.

Attached: Treasure Chest By HungrySuccubus -mimic -bb -tongue.png (905x1062, 394K)

Attached: Look+after+your+mimics.jpg (900x636, 214K)

Attached: Mimic pet By EerieViolet.png (822x974, 267K)

Attached: kingerbits tumblr_oi2z06EYUC1utthteo1_500.gif (405x405, 1.96M)

I wonder how many people magical realm mimics into turning into BDSM tentacle fetishes

I like making mimics not necessarily hostile. My favorite encounter was when a PC encountered a group of mimics that were migrating from one dungeon to another. As I recall, they asked her for directions.

Good idea user. I'll write that down for tomorrow's session.

Had a interesting mimic story, a while back, had my group get tasked with tracking down a murderer whom would remove the faces of the victims. Party did some checking, and the ones that hadn't been looted before the guards found it, were dressed as mages, but the court wizard hadn't picked up and residual magic in their remains. After asking the next of kin of the dead guy what was up with the appearance, find out that a vendor in the bazaar was selling "Magic items" and his brother went full magic weeb. Find the guy and his spell books, Party sorc opens one... and realizes that it's not text inside, just complex blobs. Warrior tries to burn it... The book freaks out and tries to flap away, being a babby mimic. Then, the bookcase screeches. Momma is not happy with someone trying to kill her babies.

One leveled building later, the day was saved, and the players got bored and decided to play MtG instead.

I had a "serial killer" thay turned out to be a mimic. Turns out the mimic kept getting passed around to different sites via estate sales from previous victims.

Attached: snarling_mimic.png (200x200, 61K)

That's pretty cool senpai. I'd totally steal that idea if were a gm

> no one commented on my insect mimics
> I've grown proud of the amount of work I put on these things and made them something more.
> people only just prattled on about mimic bdsm and common tentacle mimics

Attached: images.jpg (225x225, 7K)

@58643687
>whines about not getting (You)s
>doesn't even bother to link back to his first comment (@58640379) so that people can understand what he's whining about without ctrl-F

Forgot to link, I dun goofed. Also not whining, merely pointing out that /tg is only interested in tentacles and bdsm trap boxes

Prob cause mimics are already well defined and nobody cares about your homebrew wall of text.

I kinda like the insect mimics idea. Still, it takes awhile for creatures to evolve camoflague. They'd work better as insects that glue wood or things to their shells. In the wild, they'd look like piles of leaves or rotten wood, maybe use them like trapdoor spiders.

The infection continues

Attached: mimic chan too bad.png (640x675, 326K)

Tbh my favourite use is my only use of mimics. I was surprised that I managed to use one and the players actually fell for it. Because I don’t like there being no tell that could tip the players off about it I described a rush of air flowing out of the chest occasionally. The players all heard this and reacted with ‘huh I wonder why that is’ and didn’t think it’s the mimic breathing which surprised me.
So anyway that’s how the sorcerer nearly died from being eaten by a mimic. The players reacted quite well saying stuff like ‘I can’t believe you managed to get us with a mimic.’ Didn’t continue that game past the first two sessions because one of the players was a That Girl and the gf of another player at the time. She couldn’t just chill and enjoy the game for what it was.

I’ve got something similar lined up for my upcoming session. People in a podunk village in a dangerous forest keep going missing. No one knows the reason, but the only safe place people havenr vanished is in the local church.

The entire town has been infiltrated by mimics who have started a pilgrimage back to their ancestral home. The Church is actually an ancient sleeping mimic called Old Granddad by the others. He will be soon reawakening from his thousand year sleep.

Attached: 19216235126312.png (1685x360, 49K)

Some assassin bugs do this.

Attached: Assassin bug.jpg (500x373, 138K)

Attached: 1494843274606.jpg (1024x1412, 198K)

Attached: 1408674222892.gif (130x142, 7K)

Hefty Mimic coming through

Attached: Rogue Wizard Mimic Knight.png (956x990, 637K)

>Players know I like to use Mimics
>Are conditioned to detect life on every chest they come across
>Player detects life on a wooden chest
>After a few whacks from the fighter they determine its actually a normal chest
>Find some gold and an amulet inside
>"I'm not gonna bother having you roll to identify, it looks the same as the one around the wizards neck"
>Monk puts it on
>Have him roll Fortitude saves every so often throughout the dungeon with out telling the reason
>Turns out he's losing blood and taking con damage
>They don't figure it out until a later combat where the Monks AC SHOULD have been enough to avoid a hit

Attached: tz.png (950x128, 10K)

My buddy loves him some mimics, not enough that its like "every shoebox has teeth" but one or two show up in each campaign.
But in one game he made it a running joke that we were being followed by a baby mimic who's parent we killed. We'd just randomly notice small box like objects appear and disappear when we weren't looking. Eventually my warlock decided "fuck it" and offered the thing some jerky while on watch and the thing warmed up to him, even saved his life once by making a noise to wake him up when an assassin was sneaking into his room at the inn.
At the end of the story when we beat the big bad I had his last scene being him walking off eating an apple and tossing half of it up in the air where his stylish top hat opened up and ate it.

Attached: ian-jacobson-mimic-drawingsmall1.jpg (1200x607, 103K)

Attached: mimic.jpg (1000x733, 210K)

Attached: Barrel Mimic by vempirick.jpg (761x1049, 104K)

Mimics are just giant hermit crab. Make sense to me.

Attached: c6b.jpg (869x1237, 228K)

I love this Idea

I prefer my mimics as bivalves.

>They just want to make you happy when you see what they've made for you
That is just precious

i'm enjoying the 'the thing' reference

A pet baby minic? That is a wonderful idea, I'll have to steal it

A goddamned studious player, too. Who pays attention to the DM's weird-ass setting's Historia Insignificae as it relates to kings and nobles and emperors?

I mentioned it once, but I made a homebrew "offshoot" of Mimics once, when a group of Wizards wanted to stop Mimics being hunted to extinction by making them "useful."

So virtually all Mimics in-setting are now the Treasurer variety. Treasurers are psychic entities that are superficially identical to Mimics. During their down time, they spend their free time gathering raw materials; stone, wood, clay, gold, cloth, metal, whatever they can find. They then use the gathered material to craft equipment. Usually this is combat related, like armor, weapons, etc. Sometimes it can be more mundane, like kitchen knives, a plate, some decorations, whatever.

Once it's complete, the Treasurer will move somewhere it's likely to be found and disguises itself as a container of some sort, changing it's colors to be easily visible if needed.

As psychic entities, Treasurers feed off of emotion, and are sustained purely by the feeling of surprise, shock, joy, the sort of feeling an adventurer gets when he finds treasure like that. They can also feed off plant-life in "droughts," but this doesn't work long-term for them.

Younger Treasurers are still working out what people do/don't like to find, so some of the stuff they make can be a bit off, like a sword made of rock, or a shield made of cloth, and so on. They instinctively notice the emotions are "wrong" when someone finds it and adjust until they find what sort of materials a thing should be made of. Sometimes explorers like "paying" Treasurers by placing money, materials, or old equipment inside the Treasurer to be used for another project of theirs, though they generally don't care if someone actually does this or not.

There's even incredibly rare elder Treasurers, nicknamed Archivists, that are capable of creating magical equipment, though sightings of them are few and far between, and they tend to disappear from a location once someone's found them there for reasons nobody's quite sure of.

That is someone you hold onto forever

I always arrive to battle on my Battle throne mimic

Attached: 54ee8252-bab9-4122-9ac3-b2c6de9c1e86.jpg (540x371, 48K)

I'm doing my first campaign this Saturday. I have a mimic village planned, where all the buildings are mimics in disguise, that can be reasoned with if they bring one of two certain npcs

I like them, they are only slightly similar to the spider-based mimics I have stored for later use (both being mimics meant to work in an ecology). It's just, why would I reply to your neat concept when I'm not angry about it or have any questions?

Attached: Mimikdaumen nach oben!.gif (296x296, 171K)

Maybe when Archivists are discovered, the joy of finding them quickly turns to greed from adventurers and that's a bad flavor of psyche to feed off of?

As a lizardfolk barbarian, I grabbed the tongue of a treasure-chest mimic when it missed its attack on me, and whipped the whole creature onto the wall, killing it.

Attached: rotjaw2.png (2000x2000, 2.12M)

This thread is great.

Attached: illusory_wall_by_vempirick.jpg (1024x1412, 259K)

Thats a pretty good idea actually. Writing that down for next time.

Chest mimics are a classic, my players don't expect them so it's almost always a surprise.

Another fun one is a baby mimic ring. Put in on and it sinks its teeth into the bone removing the finger.

You can scale mimics up as well, perhaps an ancient mimic that has eaten so many greedy adventurers it has become something much more alluring to adventurers, an abandoned castle.

Attached: 1427215693578.jpg (629x564, 79K)

Attached: bonfire_mimic_by_vempirick.jpg (1024x1412, 179K)

The cleric remembered it because there was a not-so-secret society headed allegedly by the Queen's Son, whom had secretly not apparently been slain for whatever reason, that seeked to rid the empire's presence and reinstate the royal lineage but still keep foreign relations stable. The party both fought against them and with them the few times they were in the capital.

He was a good player.

What looks would have the child of mimic and man?

For real though I want to make a mimic character

Best reference.

They actually had these in Nioh

But Mimic-chan, you are a treasure.

>What is your favorite thing that you've ever done with a mimic?
:^)

Attached: 1514180628.mcnasty_mimic2.jpg (1280x1191, 126K)

>You can scale mimics up as well, perhaps an ancient mimic that has eaten so many greedy adventurers it has become something much more alluring to adventurers, an abandoned castle.
This was a filler episode in Naruto

Whoops, hit the post button too early.
naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Shiromari

Nobody fucking cares faggòt

>lizardfolk
>posts a crocodile
fucking idiot

Attached: arcade mimic.jpg (620x960, 50K)

I'm not gonna bother giving you any interactive chance, it's this item (it's not this item).

What a twist.

thanks for the nightmares! :)

I always think of that line when I see that picture.

Attached: feels guts man.png (600x727, 488K)

>lizardfolk barbarian
Its such an obvious fucking race/class combination and i cant believe ive never done it

The throne mimic is oddly adorable

>be halfling wizard guy
>get word that noble woman is going to be kidnapped
>don't know where bandit layer is
>use trained mimic to turn into clothes and padding to make my body look just like hers
>rogue uses her disguise kit to fix my face and hair like hers
>warn noble woman and tell her our plan
>stroll around town at night to bait kidnappers
>they grab me and bring me to layer
>send magical mind messeges to party letting them know where to go to find me
>thieves think they have the real thing and send out ransom note
>party and real noble woman tell her father what we did and offers to take ransom to thieves as trick to get inside and slaughter them all
>he agrees and says to return only half as payment for our help
>plan works out great
>only one of us almost die
>we decide to take all the money and run
>bag filled with rocks
We should have checked before heading out but it was still fun

Party spends most of my campaign power gaming through so I create a dungeon designed to punish that behavior.

>Present obvious treasure room
>Party discovers Flencing trap
>Immediately surprises them and no one bothers to look for off switch
>Makes rogue go it alone wearing more armor to avoid getting hit
>Sets off trap two
>Insanity Mist
>Decides that wisdom loss wasn't that bad and continues opening chests
>Comes across sneaky mimic
>Goes to open mimic he gets stuck to it
>Tries to stab it, knives get stuck in it
> Rogue is pinned screaming for help while being eaten by mimic, insane from mist, and being carved up like a turkey by Flencing trap
>Fighter takes 3 rounds to smash down Flencing trap's wall everyone runs in to help rogue
>Fighter tries to hit it, shield stuck
> "Put a foot on its head to get leverage to pull rogue off" fighter now stuck
> Rest of party tries to pry them off a few getting stuck in process.
>All the while guillotines are hacking away at the party
>Party finally kills mimic and scramble to leave the room.
>Complex process ensues to remove loot from room and while identifying wizard finds the Flencing trap off switch
>Tfw solution so simple and idiot could have seen it

Nice reference.

Oh, I might have to use that one sometime.

Senshi is always best girl.

Huh, that would actually work for a fantasy horror movie

Attached: 1497672073406.jpg (2190x1872, 609K)

story for ants?

I'm going to steal this.

I feel like they are too close to magical realm territory to use.

Open it in a new window/tab, user

It's pretty fucking fun dude. That bite attack is so nice when coupled with grappling with advantage.

>an actually interesting thread.

Huh, I thought these were illegal these days. Anywidget, I’ve never done anything with mimics before, but I’m certainly going to now.

Same here
I wonder how paranoid my players will be?

Hit them with three mimics in a row at one point, if you want to shatter their confidence. They'll never trust a chest again, even long after your campaign has ended.