So how do most cyberpunk settings deal with the issue of keeping the meat parts of cyborgs healthy...

So how do most cyberpunk settings deal with the issue of keeping the meat parts of cyborgs healthy? When more and more of a person is turned into machine parts and it becomes awkward or difficult to keep what's still human in shape? What good is going for a run when you've got a set of cyberlegs that could keep going for hours and hours, or lifting weights when your arms and entire upper core are replaced or reinforced to make it take little to no effort?

This question has been stuck in my head the past couple days, and haven't been able to settle on any sort of interesting answers that don't simply put a bandaid over it. I figured/hoped Veeky Forums might have a satisfying take on it.

Attached: deus-ex-human-revolution-adam-jensen-eidos-interactive-square-enix-adam-jensen-cyborg-cyborg-cyberpu (1920x1320, 412K)

There is no answer because it doesn't make any sense. The truth is, a society where augmentations are widespread (aside from nanoaugs of course) is just unrealistic. Even if it becomes a REALLY big trend it'll never be like Human Revolution. The original Deus Ex is much closer to reality.

Nothing. Think about it. The corporations want those bits to start breaking down, then they can sell you new bits to replace them. It is all part of the marketing strategy.

bingo
shut the fuck up retard

I imagine something like Trans-Cutaneous neural stimulation (TENS) could do it. It's essentially a set of electrodes that run current through your muscles, causing them to contract. It's not as effective as real exercise, but it works.

I wasn't necessarily talking about just something like DE:HR, that was simply the most relevant picture I could think of. Namely because Jensen's kind of situation (both arms and legs replaced) is what got me thinking about this in the first place.

That's definitely one of the layers I had considered before, though what I had in mind was something more like where they controlled the means but made it only just effective enough that people were stuck making use of it all the time. Either through some kind of odd exercise machine or a medical stimulant or what have you.

That's just about the track I was on, but I was curious if any other settings like Cyberpunk 2020 or Shadowrun had their own (perhaps more interesting) takes on it.

Wow, are you okay user? If I had known you'd get so absolutely butthurt over there being no reason for this making sense I wouldn't have posted anything. I'm glad you have this retarded explanation to fuck yourself in the ass with at least

shut the fuck up retard

Reply to me again, because I told you to

the poster above me is a retard, when he posts tell him to shut the fuck up

That counts

shut the fuck up

I thought you were trying to troll for a second there but now it looks like you're legitimately angry.

Thanks for ruining this thread by the way.

you're not funny

shut the fuck up

shut the fuck up

Am I missing something? Just work out the meat bits you still have.

Read more Masamune Shirow. His cyborgs go in for regular maintenance of both flesh and borg parts.

Medical sensors.

That becomes exponentially more complicated the less meaty parts you have though.

That's definitely on my to-do list.

>What good is going for a run when you've got a set of cyberlegs that could keep going for hours and hour
The rest of your body is constantly working to stay in balance, so it is getting some exercise. You don't run using just your legs.

Something that is never really addressed is that the caloric intake for someone like Jensen would have to be insanely low considering he is a essentially only a torso

Have you played the game? He powers those cyborg parts with snack bars...

Might go the Will Smith iRobot route and have it be powered in some way by the body - I'd guess heat maybe, as the best way to make it 'naturally" draw energy?

I suggested to replace Cyberpunk 2020's humanity system by something else. Instead of having the cyberware lowering humanity, it would require a certain dose of expensive anti-rejection drug (in Deus Ex: Human revolution it was neuropozine). Instead of deducting humanity loss from the empathy stat, take humanity loss and multiply it by a certain amount of eurobucks or you could use a chart (example below). This is the monthly cost characters have to pay for their cyberware and they have to pay it as long as the cyberware is implanted. Failing to get a treatment causes 1 point of damage per day and all healing processes are stopped.

HL 0.5 to 5, cost of treatment (50eb per month)
HL 5.5 to 10, cost of treatment (100eb per month)
HL 10.5 to 20, cost of treatment (200eb per month)
HL 20.5 to 30, cost of treatment (500eb per month)
HL 30.5 to 50, cost of treatment (1000eb per month)
HL 50.5 and more, cost of treatment (2000eb per month)

This way, the characters get enslaved by their cyberware. Cheap fashionware can be purchased and maintained for cheap, but once the character packs a couple of serious augmentations, things quickly get expensive. Selling themselves out to some corporation is the best way to get their monthly treatment. If they remain freelance, they always have the risk that the required drug won't be available (corporation create shortages to increase prices).

Attached: 17v6uqidhm8ngjpg.jpg (800x560, 48K)

Micromachines, son. This is merely my shell.

>it would require a certain dose of expensive anti-rejection drug
We're already solving that now with materials that don't trigger immune response.

I'll do it for him.
Shut the fuck up, retard.

And why would corporations want that in a cyberpunk setting? Materials cost more and don't generate revenue later. Seems like a win-lose situation in favor of the consumer - which is pretty much the opposite of cyberpunk.

More fun would be to have advertising pop-ups showing up in your field of vision, have important calls be interrupted by advertising, have a chat window showing up in your field of vision while you're in a firefight, haing cyberware malfunctioning because an incompatible update got downloaded for another augmentation, etc. but this would be difficult to implement in a TTRPG.

while normal battery powered augs will fuck you up health wise, cybernetics that use your body fat as fuel to the exact amount to keep you FIT. where the batteries take over the rest of the needed energy amount. at least thats what i did in my setting to work around that question.
TL:DR depends on the setting

I agree that it's fucking bizarre. The idea of a kind of divide in society between those with augmentations that make them more skilled at whatever it is they do and those without would be a thing, but the idea of people willingly replacing fully functional bodyparts with mechanical limbs that don't even look vaguely natural is absurd. It's some weird fucking body horror if you ask me.

>a medical company wont get fucked by the FDA for releasing a potentially fatal faulty synthetic organ so they can get you to buy another
No.

since you already have retardedly good tech, just give the organic parts gene therapy that causes them to maintain themselves without any workout needed

Obsolescence. Geeks throw away billions in perfectly functional electronics each year because something better just came out. Make implants detachable and you can sell new legs every year without the badly thought-out grimderp of Human Revolution's plot. And docking sockets can go obsolete too, so you can build actual believable drama off of that.

If they can replace 80%+ of your body with cybernetics with tolerable side effects, they can probably sell as part of a package deal a technological physical therapy kit.

Who needs to actually DO exercise, when you can get your body to do it for you?

You seem to not understand the genre being talked about worth a shit. Lurk moar.

You don't seem to either.

>no u

Kek. 10/10 bants my dude.

You know, I think a more interesting question is how they deal with obsolescence. Like, technology progresses, and it progresses fast. What happens when your cyberarms are out of date? Going under the knife again doesn't sound like fun.

Hell, just think of all the problems with firmware upgrades! Tech support would be a nightmare.

I like that idea. If there's a quality thing (like in Shadowrun), you'll require more of the drugs if you skimp on the initial cost.

It's been planned, the cyberlimbs and organs can just be plugged in and out easily, so you can buy a new one every year even if you don't need to.
The sockets need to be changed only ever few years, and it's rarely needed.

Well, if we speak about dystopia cyberpunk, the people on lower levels of society will probably have to make good with second hand and cheap augments, that will probably be strain on their body, if they don;t exercise properly.

Too heavy, long, short construction, malfunctioning operation of joints and motivators will cause strain on biological matter surrounding it.

>Nice pair of new legs from hip down, but you need core strength to keep balance
>This replacement for arm is older, but in good shape, it is little longer, than your other arm, so keep training your deltoids, or you will have back-pain
>Nice spine reinforcement, but you need to learn to live with somewhat limited bending angle

It is slightly bizarre, if you look on it in idealistic manner. The man with enough money will probably have cloned graft and/or replacement, optimized organs.

The non organic augmentations for people without insurance, or people who can't pay for the top of line, miniaturized systems, that will drain power from your metabolic waste will be simply out of reach for them.

In today society, I have encountered angry black girl without leg, that had pink prosthesis. They simply did not produce any other type, because it was state issued. First generation of augmentation will probably will government subsidized for people who lost limbs in service. Army style is primarily functional, so blocky, neutral colored systems, which will be noisy and require recharging every few hours, also huge labels and some 'cost efficiency' like only two finger with opposing thumb, leg will be just kinetic amortizer with self-balancing unit that will look ugly as fuck and you will be forced to change every month pad on the 'sole', because you can't wear boot over it.

This guy gets it. Cybernetics is ideal, when it can be mass produced, universal sockets, three basic sizes with some nut to slightly modify length and thats it.

>Cybernetics is ideal, when it can be mass produced, universal sockets, three basic sizes with some nut to slightly modify length and thats it.
Ideal from an end-user standpoint, but maybe not from a business one (unless your corporation focuses on non-scummy business practices, in which case enjoy not being on the Fortune 500). Think cell phone chargers rather than USB ports.

What the hell are you going to do? Infinite crunches presses to work on your chest?

>Ideal from an end-user standpoint, but maybe not from a business one
Well, just think of them as cell phone, but not charges, but device itself. While many of us are probably slightly autistic fuckers, that don't change their phones, unless it is really needed, normal western population (eastern Asians ever more frequent) will change their devices every year. To change them regularly, you will need the interface between machine and body be as most universal, as it can be, think of USB. Now add few things:

>irremovable battery, that will slowly loose capacity over time
>motivators, that will loose sensitivity, so you either buy costly component to replace, or simply 'upgrade'
>Damage and wear caused by work/sport use, instead of causal using, which will damage the moving parts faster
>Or simply, having brand/fashion upgrade, because it is the SHIT

This thing is business viable, if you normalize, that your new prosthetic limb has to be replaced every year, or two with new, costly system and if you are guy, who keep it maintained, they simply say, that limbOs will no longer release updates and support for this model and right before support ends, they push software update, that will cause bugs and malfunctions.

And he folks using open source unixLimb will be looked down as nerds and geeks, when iLimb is just as good and you don't need to recompile pressure detection drivers every update.

>That becomes exponentially more complicated the less meaty parts you have though.
Not really.
Replacing one muscle doesn't make it any harder to exercise the rest. Muscles work in concert to exert force. Look at a deadlift for example; your hands are resisted by the weight of the barbell, your arms are resisted by (the weight of the barbell transmitted through) your hands, your back by your arms, your legs by your back and your back by the Earth. Replacement of any link is this chain by machinery just means the next muscle is acting against a machine, it doesn't mean it doesn't have to act. Sure, you might not need to exercise your arms anymore but you can absolutely keep doing the same movement, it just means your arms won't be the body part holding you back any longer.

>What good is going for a run when you've got a set of cyberlegs that could keep going for hours and hours,
You still exercise your heart, your mind and everything that isn't artificial
>or lifting weights when your arms and entire upper core are replaced or reinforced to make it take little to no effort?
Only if every muscle in a particular chain is replaced will a certain exercise become useless. For example, a guy with artificial arms won't waste his time doing concentration curls but he can absolutely still benefit from compound movements.
And if he's SOOOO replaced that he can't find compound exercises to exercise his remaining fleshy bits then there's evidently no need to worry about it because he's replaced so much it'll never come up.

>Think cell phone chargers rather than USB ports.
Cell phones chargers are basically now "mini-USB" and "whatever the fuck it is Apple use to be different", aren't they?

>Only if every muscle in a particular chain is replaced will a certain exercise become useless
You could also say, that training is needed to have absolute control over your augmentation, even as human you need to learn how to walk, move, stand up, sit down, etc. Maybe the neural interface will require you to train at least few time a month, because without the training, you will have movement of patient with advanced Parkinson, or Huntington's disease. But that can be depending heavily on settings.

We already have USB-C standardized as cellphone charger, device interface, it have multi-orientation and it is much more sturdier, but looses backwards compatibility because of completely new design.

I disagree.
I'd go full artificial the moment bugs were worked out. Who cares about looking human if it'll help me jog after elk or function better at work? And I'm not alone, my gf's sitting next to me and she's got the exact same opinion.

But every phone I've touched in the past 2y has had one of three charging systems
And one of those charging systems is the same one that runs my GPS, camera, speakers, portable harddrive and just about everything else.

I thought of that too when it comes to things like alcohol. He'd barely be able to drink considering how much normal body mass he no longer has.

I think authors stated in lore (don't know, if it was new games, or old ones), that conventional (read not nanoTech) cybernetics utilized chemical processes in human body to drain energy from metabolism, that's why cyborgs have special food to power their internal power banks for extreme uses (as the normal use don't cause deficit in energy use / generation). As stated.

>heat maybe
Maybe they up the heat generation and collect it through thermal cells implanted in tissue mass, but heat itself wont be enough. Maybe they use digestive tract to break down cyborg food and utilize chemical energy from from preprocessed compounds?

Maybe alcohol could be used as non-optimal substitute, so it will burn calories faster, which metabolize the booze, basically giving Jensen inability to get drunk... that's why he is so angry. That's and the whole shenanigans about losing his limbs and letting his ex get killed, while failing to safe her and all her coworkers.

Attached: 317526B2-EAB6-425C-AE33-966AF05B925D.jpg (630x1200, 159K)

>practically no one on Veeky Forums is qualified to answer any of OPs questions.

This should be amusing.

>Shadowrun
Shadowrun has (or had, haven't played in a while) some mechanics in dealing with excessive cyberware - your natural healing got slower the less essence you had, it got harder to perform medical procedures (including healing spells) on you, and your various cybernetic components accumulated stress as you took damage, leading to decreased function or even complete breakdown if you didn't fix it.
Obsolescence was also a problem, at least for certain systems, needing regular maintenance (or upgrades) or accumulating more stress.

As to your original question, some of the mechanics dealt with cybernetic parts needing to be at least somewhat congruous with the meat parts, e.g. you couldn't get an arm/leg that was a lot stronger or weaker than your biological body as the disparity would cause too much stress on both the organic and mechanic components.

Actual problems arising from training the remaining meat parts were not covered by rules, though, although I agree with a few of the other posters here that such problems would probably be small to non-existent, as muscles do not work in isolation. Sure, your arm might have the strength of a troll, but if your shoulders, back and legs don't have similar upgrades (or natural strength close to the same amount), you still won't be lifting a fridge.

We have government regulations to thank for that. In most cyberpunk settings, the government either does not have that sort of power, or has no interest in using its power that way.

>He thinks the FDA is immune to bribes and corruption even outside of cyberpunk
Oh you sweet summer child

>And why would corporations want that in a cyberpunk setting?

Well, maybe they wouldn't want it, but there'd be a market for it so someone would make it eventually. There's also what points out.

Spoken like a true meatbag.

>It would be weird

it makes you better so why wouldn't you? People are already modifying their bodies simply for beauty. Tattoos, Boob implants, Muscle Implants. Piercings. There is no practical purpose behind those and yet it's popular. Augments are practical and you can make them very aesthetic. Artifical 3d printed limbs are already looking kind of cool.

I don't see the issue. If you replaces an entire extremity, well that extremity is now machine so you keep it with the same maintenance any other machine would need. If it's nanos, you probably don't even need external maintenance. If it wasn't a full replacement, just a leg and not the hip for exemple, you'd probably need to strenght train your hip to accommodate a heavier limb. If it was, well you wouldn't augment the core without augmenting the limb, just don't make no sense.
Another part of your question, what good is running if you got a pair of cyberlegs? If you got cyberhips, nothing, really. If you don't, then there's still muscles in the compound of the movement to train.

Just keep working out to maintain your health, same as if you didn't have augments. Just because you don't have biological arms and legs anymore doesn't mean you stop doing deadlifts and bench presses. Those are still good ways to work your unaugmented core and chest, after all. Cardio too, since even if you replaced your lungs and heart it still improves the elasticity of your veins and arteries.

Attached: 1520284144251.jpg (744x1829, 121K)

Wouldn't you replace those for hoses

>I'd go full artificial the moment bugs were worked out. Who cares about looking human if it'll help me jog after elk or function better at work? And I'm not alone, my gf's sitting next to me and she's got the exact same opinion.

Heh, pathetic.

Attached: Walter.png (1100x1249, 2.36M)

If you have meat left in your body, I'm assuming you have parts of your natural-born circulatory system left.

Why on earth would you replace veins and arteries with something that can't re-heal itself?

I mean why is there blood in your aug parts in the first place?

>I'd go full artificial the moment bugs were worked out.

And then you'd have a panic attack which would lead to a complete mental break-down 6 months later, ala all those people who get shit grafted into themselves and then shit the bed after a period of time and dig it out with knives.

The OP talked about about how cyborgs maintain their meat parts, so extrapolate that the question of blood flow and veins applies to the unaugmented parts of someone's body.

Maybe you should augment your brain and learn to read.

That too.

Although, imagining all of this, it would be a psychological nightmare, and you would pretty much be required to have some blood in you in order to feed oxygen to your brain.

I give a full-aug a month before he cracks and goes full murder-bot.

I'll augment my penis for your backside cunt, why the fuck would you put blood in your fucking machine parts. Just cauterize the branch at the earliest possible junction with the main circulatory system

lad i would get my eyes replaced with oculars in a heartbeat if i could, get a robot arm with some cool shit attached too maybe

(CAUTION - Does not work when wet)

Are you actually brain damaged, bud? No one said there would be an organic circulatory system in an inorganic limb. The unaugmented parts of your body would still be part of your unaugmented circulatory system, therefore cardio exercise would be beneficial to them.

Attached: 1498096335627.png (640x640, 125K)