What is the most depressing Veeky Forums game/setting?

What is the most depressing Veeky Forums game/setting?

Attached: http _prod.static9.net.au___media_Network_Images_2017_01_31_11_21_170131coach_depression.jpg (1024x576, 36K)

Nechronica.

>inb4 40k

RL

Forgotten Realms, it's depressingly popular.

See, the reason why this question might be more complicated than it first appears is that, in my opinion, at least, grimdark isn't ACTUALLY depressing. In fact, in some senses grimdark is comical. Grimdark settings are bad, but they're bad in such an over the top way, and their presentation is so on the nose, it's impossible to take seriously enough to feel "sad". They can be SCARY if you think about them too much, but that's the thing: they discourage you from doing that.

"Depressing" requires a subtler approach.

Delta Green

Engine Heart

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 25K)

40k isn't depressing because you can either live on a shitty hive world where you die at the age of 30 from cancer, you can be tortured for years by dark eldar, or you can live a comfy life on an agri world or have a boring job on 90% of the worlds on the imperium where you work for 8 hours and come home to your wife and kid, or you can be a tribal warrior on a feral world hunting and gaining the glory of your tribe. 40kids like to think the whole setting is a grimdark place of war and death and destruction when it's not.

I agree.

Most depressing additionally will have to be depressing on various levels.
The in game subject matter has to be depressing, but I think it will also have to be depressing through more than just immersion. I feel there has to be a component of near boredom in the mix, lack of alternatives in game flow, a monotony. Or maybe a well measured lack of fluff. A small ill realized world always brings me down in games.
The game can't be to interesting because interest is stimulating.

Something like Wraeththu perhaps.
Humanity driven to extinction because of gay Vampires with flower genitals who are portrayed as the good guys. There is no element of glory or 6tragic beauty to this, no greater world to explore, just a disgraceful end and fetishes that are not yours hopefully.

I was thinking once about the setting of Ars Magica and how depressing it can actually be once you have an idea of history and general projections of trends.
Firstly the relms of magic and fantasy are being pushed back by the mundanity of the...well mundane; the resource, wis, that is used to power the powerful magics of the world is getting harvested more and more as wizard populations grow. Then finally you have the fact that many wizards will live to be over 150 years old; not only will the non wizarding folk continue to change as time moves on but also the fact that the current edition begin the game at 1225; nearly all player characters will therfore live through to the horrors of the great famine and the resulting bubinoc plagues, protected in part by their ever deminishing reserves of magical resources as death and disease sweeps the land.

I've played engine heart a few times, but I always found it pretty comfy. I guess that's the fault of the GM, really.

A good portion of feral worlds have to deal with harsh climates, horrible space-beasts, and clan warfare. Oftentimes they have their own primitive Chaos cults, usually to Khorne, to contend with.

Scholarly environs are usually pretty soul-crushing because most of the labor is tedious, boring, and dry in content while the more exciting texts can damn you. Cushy noble environs are great most of the time, but there's a whole lot of backstabbing and you have to adept at navigating the intrigue to stay alive. Plus watch out for Slaaneshi cults and keep the tithes rolling in or the Administratum will send a fleet to set your house in order and execute you as a heretic. And even the simple life on an agri-world is laborious at best and as bad as factory work at worst, and also a prime target for most factions, especially Nurgle who seems to have a fondness for such worlds covered in bounteous life.

The session you realize weeks later was the last, where your handcrafted scenario was about to unfold.
You still have half a bag of chips you were keeping for the next time you'd have friends over.

Promethean, hands down.

>You're a Frankenstein's monster, created in madness and desperation
>Have no soul due to being a reanimated monster
>Your unnaturalness starts to rot and degrade the world around you
>Can't stay in one place for too long as the environment corrupts in your presence
>People around you start to become unhinged to the point of forming angry lynch mobs
>Some of your kind go mad from the constant rejection and turn into worse monster
>Alien beasties that are inert around humans come to life when you're close by and will try to kill you
>Always forced to move, never settle down, and never form meaningful relationships due to your very nature
>At some point you will be driven to make another Promethean, and thus perpetuate the cycle of misery
>The ultimate goal is to find transcendence, gain a soul and become fully human
>If the GM is mean, the 'becoming human' dream you've been chasing turns out to have been wishful thinking and an urban myth'

Attached: 60000.jpg (201x260, 13K)

Ravenloft. Even the people with power are trapped in a futile cycle of loss and sorrow. For everyone else, their lives are inconsequential. In fact, they probably aren't real, soulless husks that are only there to populate the illusion for the darklord.

The game of life.

Wraith the Oblivion hands down

Innistrad can be a bit depressing

Veeky Forums itself

>a trpg about people not playing said trpg.

40k is depressing, not because of the setting, but because of the game. It's depressing that it's the most common entry into wargaming. It's depressing to see how many people get stuck in it. It's depressing to see the weird abused housewife shtick it engenders in it's fans; that depressing cycle of people leaving because they realise it's bad, and then coming back to it because Gee Dubs says they've changed and waving a new shiny thing or promising it'll be just like the old days.

I've never understood Promethean, how are you supposed to play a group of those monstrosities?

Veeky Forums /r9k/ stories

I don't know what the 2nd edition did, but in the first edition there was a bit where each Promethean was imbalanced towards one of the alchemical humors (choleric, melancholic, sanguine, etc.), which affects their behavior and, in an undeniable yet not fully understood way, causes the spread of the Disquiet which is the bane of their existence. If Prometheans of several different types move together, though, their imbalances even out and each of them causes less Disquiet. With a full group of 5, all the humors are present (4 classical ones, plus "ectoplasm", since god forbid there won't be 5 splats), and Disquiet slows down to a halt.

It also works the other way around, meaning if your group has 2 or more of the same type of Promethean they both suffer increased Disquiet.

Wraith the oblivion is actually surprisingly non depressing

Having the best game setting, but no game or people to play it with.

>harsh climates, horrible space-beasts, and clan warfare
Nah its not like any tribes in real life have to deal with harsh climates and clan warfare but still prefer that lifestyle to modern life.
Stop trying to think of 40k as muh edgy grimdark world where everyone has a bad time, there are plenty of worlds where people live comfortable lives.

Fading Embers was kind of depressing, and it's Veeky Forums's brainchild.

What's fading Embers?

>be a hick in some agri-world

>not living the good life in a paradise world
What are you doing user. It even has paradise in the name.

World of Darkness

Not because of what it is, because the authors thought it was legit social commentary.

Kult is pretty depressing.

It sometimes tips over to the edgemaster side of things, but overall, it's a damn bleak setting.

This, Civilized Worlds are also an ideal.

It's all fun and games until your soul gets ripped apart and mashed into coins.

Grimwyrd, a gurps anons Homebrew

Those poor poor elves, man

>because the authors thought it was legit social commentary.
isn't that just some of the authors? particularly for Mage?
Older Vtm editions just seemed like what you'd expect for a vampire game.

anything written by neocommunists who value virtue signalling over mechanics and lore

Kult or SLA Industries

Just adding that SLA with "The Truth" being true is even more depressing.

My heart

The game of eternally looking at Veeky Forums threads and thinking "fuck i wish i owned that system" and "fuck i wish i wasn't so worthlessly uninspired compared to these people".

Attached: wojak_basic.png (420x420, 36K)

Half Life. You never really get to the end, your choices are 100% guided by an inscrutable, nigh omnipotent and omnipresent god-like man, and its heavily implied that even if you """win""" you are really just mildly inconveniencing The Combine. The extent of Earth's resistance is felt about as much as killing a Police dispatch worker in California is in Washington DC.

Since it never officially came out, though, is it canon?

I can't believe this hasn't been posted yet.

Attached: 1519239360407.jpg (1600x1080, 885K)

Reading about shit like in this thread , thinking back to my own childhood games of pretend and realizing that not even once in my life did I apply that imagination to an actual tabletop roleplaying game.

And what is this?

Tpbp

Google says it's from the Silmarilion

>It's depressing to see the weird abused housewife shtick it engenders in it's fans
What

Attached: 1818.png (33x33, 2K)

I didn't think the Truth made the setting more depressing. More weird and trippy, sure, but not necessarily depresseing.

But I agree with Kult. What a horrible setting to be in. Not even death is an escape.

>fuck i wish i owned that system
Mate you literally just buy the book

>no scans
>only copy on ebay is $750
Yeah okay

What game?

I think what user is trying to say is GW fans have Stockholm Syndrome.

Yeah, apparently I can't read. Thanks.

It's definitely not a game for murder hobos. Much more emphasis on relationships and roleplaying.

Mine.

Because I know it's fucking awful.