Why does Veeky Forums hate big blobs/continents? I mean, they're a thing

Why does Veeky Forums hate big blobs/continents? I mean, they're a thing.

Attached: North_America_satellite_orthographic.jpg (1624x1748, 474K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SpaceFillingEmpire
oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/garbagepatch.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

because people like !notEurope settings and big blob settings dont have the same sea contact like europe has

Some blobs are too big for reason.

Attached: Bad World Design.jpg (1554x1662, 1.01M)

Veeky Forums doesn't know half as much as it thinks it does.

We do have a lot of cartography-nerd threads here.

>Not all fa/tg/uys!

But in seriousness I tend to get super anal (like wind/ocean pattern anal) about my world building, but I don't hate them.... Because as you said they are a thing. Things become tropes/stereotypes for a reason big mountains will cause plains/deserts.... That's how geography works. Anything someone could map out could eventually happen (maybe not on earth) especially if your realm has ANY magic.

>Turks = Mordor
Never gets old

North America may be a thing, but north America doesn't stretch into a rectangular shape to fill any given map space, turn every coastline into the same wobbly sinus wave or is pillow shaded.

It's pretty square though.

THIS is blobby.

Attached: testestransp.png (2048x1024, 42K)

>Ness.
>It hurts.

that geography didn't work out too well for the natives though

Other than domesticateable species I think they lacked width.
eurasia africa had the advantage of another civilization being able to pick up the torch in more similar climates.
Spreading across latitudes doesn't work as well.

>jaredfagging

Looks like southeast asia.

>why designed this, an alien?

Gets me every time.

I don't think people hate continents that much, they hate space-filling empires (sorry for my tvtropes-y language).

Pic related. Even in something like NA, the material culture was very different, probably way more than the difference between (I dunno) India and China.

Now imagine linguistic and political differences.

Never understood the Alps part tough. Italy was conquered, reconquered and whatnot too much if anything.

Attached: Nordamerikanische_Kulturareale_en.png (1490x1700, 748K)

I don't know what that is

I think the Mediterranean sea was an ancient highways system, so you could move from nation/culture to another with relative ease.

Also good for pirates and raiders.

Attached: 16grosvenor-obit-1-blog427.jpg (629x451, 102K)

>here be elves

Attached: elf sex expert.jpg (600x332, 26K)

What are space-filling empires?

Skub, I think.

why do folks around here don't like big blobs of land? i think it's a matter of focus. I think europe is so popular because it has so many cultures crammed into what is essentially a smaller space, even more so if you limit to, say for example, western europe like most fantasy setting wont to do. that, and big landmasses make the civilizations seem smaller and less important.

Jared Diamond, the man who wrote Guns, Germs, and Steel. The problem is, he doesn't have any experience in the fields required to write that book.

ok

When writing alternate timelines or playing around with maps, counterfactual historians sometimes don't see the point of coming up with lots of different countries, especially for regions they know little about. There may also be a need to make sure that the entire earth is PVP Balanced in more warlike stories. So what they do is just fill the map with large polities, even when there would be little plausibility to a single empire ruling these territories. This is referred to as a Space Filling Empire.

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SpaceFillingEmpire

A good example would be this map of the world as of the Tom Clancy novel Executive Orders. The Middle Eastern Coalition (Iran-Iraq) is explained in the novel but which anyone who knows anything about Iran and Iraq will tell you is impossible. And note the united Korean peninsula, which is literally established in a single throwaway sentence and for no apparent reason.

Attached: Untitled.png (1204x650, 72K)

Eh, Iraq-Iran is not that insane for alt-history.
A collapsed Iraqi state would definitely result in large parts of Iraq leaning towards Iran.

>implying Iraq hasn't been largely controlled by Iranian agents for the past 12 years

I’m still surprised there were no remarks on Greece.

They're boring. Big stretches of same-ish terrain don't really do anything for players unless you care to get political about it and draw some borders.

I find that maps in general tend to have pretty sharply diminishing returns on effort. Major points of interest and travel complications are what players care about.

You know there's bacteria that eats plastic, right?

Its not doing a very good job then

Iran-Iraq is a thing now, definitely, because the Shia took over again. And historically, Iran held Iraq. Not that odd...

>the plastic eating bacteria are anorexic

>California

still the theory makes sense.

>Who designed this, an alien?
took me a second

Attached: 1520972536464.jpg (292x281, 21K)

We don't. No one said that. No one has ever said that. Except for you. Because you're sad and alone with no one to love you so you spread your shittiness around to make everyone else miserable. Seriously, kill yourself.

Maybe it will be done eating all this plastic in 500 years if you stop throwing out more right now

There are some legitimate criticisms of Guns, Germs, and Steel, but none of them are "he don't got credentials!"

The fuck kind of retarded map is that?
>huge pop tart ice island
>huge as crater gulfs at nonsensical places
>a small cluster of ridiculously huge lakes, but none elsewhere
>mountains are exclusively in the west
>island clusters in the south east, probably just to have some pirate bullshit
And I don't even want to mention those unrealistic thin lines connecting the far north west and south. Whoever made that map is a retard who doesn't know how to design proper topography.

Woah cool, we can send all the anarchists there so they can have their own non-state country!

Actually, if you look at Canada, you can see the clear progression of lakes carved by glacial advance from the north-west to the south east - the Great Lakes are just the largest.

I'm down.

Attached: Pirate.png (672x730, 378K)

"I won an award for the fjords"

>the Great Lakes are just the largest
I guess, it makes sense. The southernmost parts of glaciers melted first. Southern lakes should have more water than the lakes up north.

"I am fire!" *wheeze* "I am *pant* death!"

Attached: a56d94505a2ad5925f0b323d2c92c81e.jpg (640x681, 170K)

it doesn't if you really think about it

This got a good laugh out of me

Attached: 1520660919666.gif (237x277, 774K)

hey, nobody noticed black sea was overlapped

Look at Iberian Peninsula

any reason to remove France is good

Every time

>They hate space filling empires
>P L A I N S

Sometimes there is just nothing but space though. See also: Siberia.

It really doesn't though.

>Are you...craving my McNuggies?

Attached: the eu.jpg (1106x898, 668K)

It's not the shape itself that gets me most of the time, but rather how some lazy writers/cartographers will just take that entire blob of land and say "this is a country."

It also can't show at that resolution all the lakes in the northern part of the region. Places like New York are filled with glacial lakes.

It's not land, dummies. It's not even distinguishable as different water if you don't know what you're looking for.

It's just a large area of water where garbage content is much higher than normal. Like, one extra bottle cap every 100 hectares

>why does Veeky Forums hate (thing no one has ever expressed hate for)
I'm so sick of this shit. Every goddamn day.

>Iberia, Crimea, Brittany, Normandy all removed

I wonder who was behind this map

Have you seen the pathfinder guy complaining about New Orleans?

How it wouldn't be realistic enough for them to publish.

because we can't into mountain ranges and rivers

Yeah, looking at the legend, even the red spots are just 100kg/km^2...

I'd heard of it a few times, and wondered, "Well, if its that bad, why aren't there trawlers full of ecocommies out there netting that shit up?"

Turns out, it isn't that bad.

Do you mean sine wave? I'd be worried if coastlines looked like sinus rhythms.

Attached: SinusRhythmLabels.png (1156x1145, 30K)

It is pretty bad; it's just not visibly worrying unless you're a marine ecologist.

>here be elves
Maybe very autistic elves.

?

>Chicago area
>North-East

>tfw be elves

How do big mountains cause plains? Lack of rainfall? Then how are plains different from deserts? Do they get more rainfall?

understand tectonics

I plan on using this map for my game. Too blobby? I used a generator and plan on drawing the map based on the generated continents.

Attached: Map-193.png (1000x501, 321K)

Plains, as in arid grasslands: savanna in africa, steppes in mongolia and china, and in america it would be bush?
Plains are a place where it is too dry for trees to dominate the space or because of herding/cultivation that trees are kept in check
And yes mountains cause dryness because clouds (who are made off watervapor) cannot go over a mountain, well they can but it will be increasingly difficult when the mountain gets higher.
For example gobi dessert has almost no rainfall because the himalaya is in it's way. The other side receives all the rain and snow.

Did you not pass fucking highschool yet? You do know about the general rule on Veeky Forums, right?

deserts are too extreme in sense of extremely hot during the day, extremely cold during the night and no rainfall whats so ever, except once in a couple of years

American plains is called prairie ;)

Great Lakes and the Swamps all along the Carribean should really be their own thing.

im retarded, i dont get it

Lurk/read moar then and get some culture

Read Hitchhiker's Guide

o

They're prairies in America. I thought you meant like a valley or something. Yeah, that makes sense.

>the same sea contact like europe has
This is hugely important and a big reason why Europe has relatively powerful states per map size compared to most. In-land area is usually not worth very much while coastline and rivers are precious. Due to Europe's shape and the way its states formed, it has a huge amount of coastline and a relatively large number of states that competed over it. It's like having an ancient highway system when everyone else has shitty dirt roads.

Ocean is easier to justify being empty space and it's hard to make the far inland of a continent interesting.

Why is Spain removed?

He mushed France and Spain together, and made a few other changes to make it less immediately obvious that it was Europe on its side. I guess the intent being that you'd notice it a moment later and it would be even funnier.

>you
>not china and india

I understand that it's intended to be a joke, but it does seem kind of obvious that a large island country would have a strong navy. Kinda a requirement, really.

That's the whole point, it's parodying the sort of retarded criticisms people make of fantasy maps.

>Evil hordes who want to conquer the world and destroy civilization as we know it.

That's scarily accurate.

That's the joke.

This. Whenever Veeky Forums tells you something, maybe one in ten of the posts are actually from people who know what they're talking about. The rest are talking out of their asses and coasting on kneejerk reactions and rage.

Shut it down.

Attached: 1508630196857.jpg (600x400, 82K)

>there's a fucking hand shaped land mass right in the middle of it

Who the fuck designed this piece of shit map? Who would even live on that cursed earth? I bet it's even filled with swamps and niggers!

Litter creates natural continent seed generation.

Based, fellow humans, good work.

Attached: pacific_garbage_gyre.png (486x324, 427K)

That's not at all what it looks like and the fact that it's a tiny little boat should really have tipped you off that that is not, in fact, in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

>The name "Pacific Garbage Patch" has led many to believe that this area is a large and continuous patch of easily visible marine debris items such as bottles and other litter—akin to a literal island of trash that should be visible with satellite or aerial photographs. This is not the case. While higher concentrations of litter items can be found in this area, much of the debris is actually small pieces of floating plastic that are not immediately evident to the naked eye.

>Ocean debris is continuously mixed by wind and wave action and widely dispersed both over huge surface areas and throughout the top portion of the water column. It is possible to sail through "garbage patch" areas in the Pacific and see very little or no debris on the water's surface. It is also difficult to estimate the size of these "patches," because the borders and content constantly change with ocean currents and winds. Regardless of the exact size, mass, and location of the "garbage patch," manmade debris does not belong in our oceans and waterways and must be addressed.

source: NOAA
oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/garbagepatch.html

Attached: 1vVF1.png (500x500, 131K)

Buddy, that's Veeky Forums as a whole. If you can't deal with it, the go outside and have some fun. Or at least play in the traffic so I get new material in my rekt threads.

Not really. Alaska, Greenland, and Canada are a bit boxy (but even then not too bad), but the other States and Mexico are more like a triangle, and Central America, Florida, and the Caribbean are just doing their own thing. If more people made maps with that kind of template (two stuck-together shapes that are then heavily warped, plus some oddball stuff to wreck the resemblance), I think most fantasy maps would look way better.