/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

"The orcs can't burn down the village if there's no village to burn down!" Edition
>Unearthed Arcana: It's fucking nothing
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_preview_duergar.pdf

>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously on /5eg/:
What horrors have been left in the wake of your party so far, /5eg/? DMs, how many campaign notes have been ripped or scribbled out? And for the love of god, does anyone have a Decanter of Endless Water?

Attached: village_fire.jpg (1024x728, 113K)

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/open?id=1MmO2mftMne1Xl9IwiBG9ZN7HtmWAXbdd
drive.google.com/open?id=1h4lCNcqpX38fWC2FpDdPqlMm8Yn_PvTi
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Can't do that, I'm already in a Call of Cthulhu game based on Sunless Sea with roughly the same players

Our party nearly attempted a plan that involved disguising one of us as a house in order to catch an arsonist.

..Disguising one of you as a house.

Attached: sj5iZ1W_d.jpg (640x543, 53K)

I like where your head is at..

We had both a bard and a rogue in the party, we probably could have managed it.

>poons of natty peanut butter.
Well, I definitely just imagined "poons" full of peanut butter. I'm not happy; my dog might be.

My characters managed to pull a russian special forces on a hostage scenario and killed the King and all three of his sons (severing the bloodline) by collapsing the tower they were in to kill the group that had abducted them
They didn't even bother to check who was in the tower, they just destroyed it as soon as they identified a cultist walking in, and now the country has descended into absolute pandemonium

>kill list
Around 300 000 innocent civilians dead though only around 10k of them were directly our fault rest were casualties of war, some 40 pirates, dozens of monsters, the leadership of a small town, about 5 purple worms, couple hundred undead and our fighter disarmed a Solar by cutting off his left arm with his kinda-vorpal greataxe.
We've never acquired a decanter but we know one is inside the water fountain in our flying island fortress.

Jesus

Attached: 1508002899517.jpg (635x457, 44K)

Hexblade Warlock party member successfully assassinated a king while he was publicly hanging a traitor and then vanished into the crowd. Shit went nuts and like 40% of the population were killed in the ensuing chaos but the Warlocks happy because his patron gave him an extra invocation for taking out the patron's nemesis. Nearly got the party wiped too but luckily we all had means of "disappearing" long enough to avoid getting killed. DM said the consequences will extend outward from this city and change the face of the entire continent. All for an invocation.

The worst part was how fucking surgical the whole thing was
The dwarf used his masonry proficiency to identify the best points of attack, the martials all used hammers to break through the bottom wall easier, and then the wizard used shatter to destroy the rest of the base and collapse the entire thing
I was speechless and then had to end the session, just telling the players "You have no fucking clue what you've done"

Our Barbarian brought a diseased child out of a quarantine all so he could impress her mother for the easy lay.

It worked the plague wiped out 2/3 of the capital of this country and unknown to the party someone witnessed them in the act.

What would be some interesting political relations for orcs, kobolds, goblins, and drow to have with each other?

Well, at least that'll give you plot hooks for literal years worth of games.

>What horrors have been left in the wake of your party so far, /5eg/?

Let a demon portal open. Don't worry, we closed it 6 levels later.

>DMs, how many campaign notes have been ripped or scribbled out?

When I GMd a Pathfinder campaign I would only scribble out the most absurd shit I wrote and if I just needed to modify something I would add a sticky note to the page.

I need some writing help. My party is in a fortified border town between 2 kingdoms. The weaker kingdom's ruler has died without an heir and the succession is being disputed between 2 brothers. The party has been doing some light jobs for the stronger kingdom that wants to use the conflict to finally conquer their neighbor.

How do I get a good plot hook to get them involved in this?

Attached: 1280px-Wien-1683(1686)-Allen.jpg (1280x621, 331K)

Collateral damage, shit happens

Attached: 1519331537090.jpg (255x358, 12K)

Stronger kingdom is discreetly buying up all the mercenaries it can find.

>multiple players out of town
>no campaigns this Thursday through Sunday
>start converting some of my homebrew into Word docs and uploading them to Google Drive for easy references

Have fun with this I guess. Some of the races/subraces for my setting.
drive.google.com/open?id=1MmO2mftMne1Xl9IwiBG9ZN7HtmWAXbdd

Can't hold the government hostage if there is no government I suppose. Any idea on if they have access to resurrection spells?

>Not making a bunch of random one shots for those still around
Oh well at least something was done.

Our party failed to prevent the sacking of Waterdeep by blundering around with a corrupt garrison of guards.

The DM had planned something like 17 outcomes for that arc and none of them involved the total destruction of the city as we fled from it as wanted men, we had to break for a month or so as he figured out what to do next.

What does the party usually pick up on, hook wise?

In any case, False Flags. False Flags out the ass. Your party dressed as brother 1's troops dressed as brother 2's troops raiding brother 1's strongholds to make brother 1 think brother 2 hired the pcs to raid him in a unconvincing provocative act of supposed betrayal.

The only players in town are my gf and her best friend. They decided to go see a movie and I'm sitting here with the dog and cat curled up around my feet working on my homebrew.

A Grey Knight in dnd 5e? What class(es)?

One of the plot hooks I have, tied in with the resurrection mechanics, is that the king had an illegitimate daughter with one of his maids who is now technically in line for the throne. However, resurrection in my universe requires the blood sacrifice of a close relative (a life given, a life taken). The king's closest associates are going to start hunting this girl down, and I'm gonna try get my players to protect her if she discovers she's in danger.

Eldritch

Why didn't you go? What movie they seeing?

>Elminster shows up, bitches you out for failing to protect his favourite bar, and restores the city with three Wish spells.

>You are teleported to Kara-Tur, naked.

Some horror movie. Strangers something? I'm not a big horror guy. If I want to watch horror, I'll watch the classics like The Exorcist.

Teach the dog and cat to play.

Ahh yeah it didn't seem too interesting, also I can't watch horror movies in theaters. Always end up laughing because most are just people being pants on head retarded.

They only ever feel enticed when gold is on the line

Any one use generated tables for random village/city encounters?

I want to drop one in for my players before they reach the next person they're supposed to talk to. But all I have is that a bar brawl spills out into town. But without a good reason behind it.

Those orcs seem to have quite a lot in the way of innate racial abilities.

How the heck do I run a horror campaign?

Sounds comfy.

Are there any ways to detect alignment in 5e or were they all removed in this edition?

Have a pixie around

Orcs in my setting are a mixture of Norse, Maori and Mongol with a heavy amount of worship of the Father and Mother goddess. The "innate" stuff comes from their clan chosen when they come of age. When they are adults, they must prove themselves worth of joining one of the clans before they can take a true name. Before then, they're just nameless children.

None of my players have played a full-blooded orc as of yet, surprisingly.

Alignment doesn't matter nearly as much in 5th.

Stuff like Detect Evil and Protection from Evil (and their axial variants) are almsot entirely based on extraplanarity now.

Keep a Rakshasa around and see if someone can injure it with a sword.

>Astral sons orcs get +3 str
but why

Oh fuck, thanks for catching that. It's supposed to be +1 Charisma. Why the fuck did I type strength?

Ah yes, the Fuze method of dealing with hostages.

What pet/summon-focused subclasses are there?

Land Druid if you want to be an absolute cunt to your DM.

Chainlock, Conjuration wizard (kinda sucks because summoning takes like a minute), Necromancy wizard (okay, but gotta maintain dem bones), Druids (esp Shepard for buffing your summons and Land for having more recoverable spell slots)

Beastmaster Ranger, but only the revised one

For someone who sold his soul for a cantrip, it isn't a bad deal at all.

Shepard Druid gets boosted summons and spawns summons at 0 HP past lvl 14.

Cuck.

I'd be more proud of them if they HAD identified who were in the tower... and done it anyway.

Someone slapped someone else's girl's ass.

Ordered to protect a town that's under siege. Ended up (technically) killing both the towns leader. In the most recent session we botched a mission to gather lumber and we're turning it into an assassination attempt on the mercenary leader instead. 99% sure my character is fucked but he'll go down fighting.

you don't, not in 5e. Hell, personally I think horror games are impossible on the tabletop if you wish to actually evoke a sense of horror.

i'm playing a rogue, just got 3rd level, how do i make this character not shit?

Kill off the players one by one

Multiclass into Barbarian.

Yeah, the classic "girls' night out". She's fucking around.

Arcane Trickster. Take green flame blade as one of your cantrips. It boosts your sneak attack even more and you get access to spells that assist you in your roguish ways.

Feather Fall, Disguise Self, etc.

What fun have you had with hoard of the dragon queen? My players are in the third chapter now.

/5eg/, I need your best tavern names and concepts!

Attached: Sleep Tight Knight.png (848x942, 330K)

Which subclass did you choose? I'd choose AT and use Booming blade for damage and with the rest of the spells just pick a shitton of utility.

>The Drunk's Tap
They're out of drink.

Stop playing WoW you dumb faggot, and stop playing the shit module.

not a tavern but I've wanted to name the potions shop "potent potables"

The Beholders Arms came up in a campaign I'm going through right now and I love it.

>The Hanging Nigger
They have a tree at the back where they hang niggers.

Eat nothing but cheese for a week. Trust me, making that character shit will be nearly impossible without some serious medical help.

>Orcs
vs
>Evil Elves
vs
>Evil Humans

Which do you like the most for your BBEG?

>The Eighth Grade
You're still stuck there.

>Evil Elves
So just Elves?

Sure she is. Totally slobbing on another dude's knob.

Anyways, have some more stuff people. These are some items I've dropped in my setting. One of my players has the binder with my complete set of setting items so whatever, this'll do for now.

drive.google.com/open?id=1h4lCNcqpX38fWC2FpDdPqlMm8Yn_PvTi

Evil, man-eating halflings. They have fallen under an age-old curse, and are consumed with an all-consuming hunger for mortal flesh.

Evil Dragonborn

We did a dark mystery/horror one shot many years ago where instead of rolling dice for actions the GM had us each use a jenga tower. Each task was either a one, two or three stick movie. If you moved the sticks, you succeeded, if your refused to, you failed. If the tower collapsed, your character died.

I recall the system being based on something he read about, so there could be something out there.

Other than that, look at board games like Betrayal at House on the hill

Run Curse of Strahd if you can't create horror too well. Most importantly is letting your players know how to respect the tone when making their characters.

I haven't gone in a tavern called that in decades.

Go back to Dragonlance!

If I remember the name right, it's Dread.

Evil elves, especially if they come from the Fey wild.

I prefer subhumans for my BBEGs, like niggers.

What's going on in this thread

I've eaten nothing but mozzarella sticks for more than a week. Shit just fine. Drink water and drop deuces regularly and you'll have far fewer gut issues, friendo.

Attached: edgegear.webm (640x360, 1.78M)

My players came up with using a lightning rod to counter the dragon. They rolled most all the challenges so far.

Attached: Yuu Man.jpg (1716x1008, 741K)

What about interdimensional space Elves associated with frost?

Question for DM's, how would you rule this. Druid puts on a cursed ring. Can the druid just wildshape choosing for that particular ring to fall to the ground negating the curse?

The ring stays on regardless. It shifts to fit whatever digit the finger would turn into.

Too on the nose, even though I dig it a lot.

No.

Was it a good invocation?

Yeah, curse is still there though, unless the ring staying on is the curse.

What if the form didn't have fingers like spider or fish?

What are some of the best racial traits?

It melds into the player, disabling the curse only while wildshaped. It can't be removed just by wildshaping.