Why was him being immortal such a big deal? It's like half the people in Sigil never even heard of a lich before

Why was him being immortal such a big deal? It's like half the people in Sigil never even heard of a lich before.

Attached: the nameless one.jpg (255x417, 17K)

Because a lich can still be killed if somebody is determined enough

Nameless One was completely 100% incapable of permanent death, which made him pretty interesting as far as these things go.

But he was basically just a lich who's phylactery was a living being

Also his phylactery had a mind of its own and his existence generally sucked ass whereas a lich's unlife is hella rad

>sit silent for 1000 years in the back room of a bar until someone bamboozles you for a +2 sword
Truly inspirational.

Nameless One wasn't undead, he just couldn't be killed.

Think of it this way: Superpower wizards perform dangerous and complex rituals of incredible soul-staining evil that have a high chance of failure so that they can turn themselves into a rotting corpse that, if it gets destroyed, will be replaced by a different rotting corpse a week from now.

Nameless One, on the other hand, is a living dude that can cut his own throat as a party trick and be back on his feet in a minute.

Liches WISH they could have what TNO has.

>Nameless One was completely 100% incapable of permanent death
Except for, you know, when he wasn't.

>t. Liches managed by bad GMs

True liches leave a placeholder skeleton on the throne and go out enjoy their unlife with their peers

Ive been playing with the idea of a lich who became one just to go on an eternal roadtrip on his magitec hippie bus and who is a decent guy willing to give the party a ride

>get like, super good at solitaire

>Liches can be killed
>The Nameless One is the closest thing the universe has to a true immortal, until his curse is broken, which can only be done by him
>Every time the Nameless One is killed, one dies in his place and is sent to the Inner Planes to stew in regret and rage for eternity
Pick three.

>Curse
>Somebody else pays the price
>You get to go on living on
At least a lich suffers from lack of a functioning body, seeping emotions and no-dick syndrome.

Attached: 1458850453203.jpg (236x245, 14K)

>"Y'know, you really gotta give up your life first in order to fully appreciate it, dude."

Because the people at TSR didn't think about things very hard, and that goes triple for people making vide games with their properties.

I get that reference.

Me and a couple friends of mine have a joke character who became a lich, got bored, and decided to forsake most of his arcane talent to become a farmer. Nobody really cares that he's a lich: he's harmless in the context that he really, in all honesty, just wants to work on his farm.

TNO loses his memories every time he dies though, and sooner or later he'd end up being a mindless vegetable.

>Liches can be killed
By destroying their phylactery. The only difference for the nameless one is that his phylactery is a powerful wizard who lives in the negative material plane.
>The Nameless One is the closest thing the universe has to a true immortal, until his curse is broken, which can only be done by him
Also not true. Anyone could theoretically kill The Transcendent One if they cared to.
>Every time the Nameless One is killed, one dies in his place and is sent to the Inner Planes to stew in regret and rage for eternity
Only like three people know that happens when The Nameless One dies. The man on the street doesn't know that.

The man on the street also mostly doesn't give a shit about TNO, have you liked played the game at all?

you can talk to a fair few average people who dont believe you can be immortal. What game have you played?

How does he deal with the fact he has to sacrifice innocents or his body will rot away and he won't be able to farm?

>i just torrented a game older than me last week the thread

I torrented it recently to replay it. On my first playthrough years ago I was blown away but on a second one I started seeing the plotholes.

The thing that made him immortal is implied to be part of the reason that the multiverse is dying.

Yeah but only like Trias, Ravel and the Transcendent one know that. Everyone else who is super shocked about his immortality don't know that.

Is never claim that it is without fault but it really still stands tall as a very strong story written about actual characters you can accept as real people, which is rare in video games (doubly so in its era). Is it the greatest game ever? No, obviously not. Is it one of the great stories? Yeah, I’d say so.

I don't think that's the case at all. It's been a while since I payed the game, but I seem to recall his original incarnation seeking immortality in order to have enough time to atone for his crimes, which perhaps were a part of the reason that the multiverse is dying. Wasn't his immortality explicitly stated to be the consequence of Ravel cutting his mortality off, or something like that?

Ravel cut his mortality out, which proceeded to have a life of it's own. That's not the problem.

The problem is that whenever the nameless one 'dies', someone else dies in his stead.

I won't lie, I'm sort of playing that as my character. He's a good guy, wanting to protect everyone, but he's old and close to natural death due to age, so someone helps him become a lich. But knowing how everyone assumes liches are evil, he's hiding the fact. The good thing is, because he's an old nobody can tell. Now he can go protect people to his heart's content, seeing as the one guarding his phylactery isn't going anywhere anytime soon so nobody will come after them.

A: Depends on the setting

B: Good thing that sheep and goats have been RL stand-in for sacrificial innocents in western mysticism since... like... forever. Wonder what kind of livestock he keeps.

Because his particular brand of immortality broke all the understood rules of that sort of thing in-universe.

And being bullied by Death Knights who can command them as servants.

That's pretty normal for medieval farmers.

Probably bees.

The ritual sacrifice potential of bee keeping is off the charts.

If he's a decent guy how did he become a lich?

>Everyone else who is super shocked about his immortality

Like who?

Attached: Image.jpg (1280x720, 62K)

because his power doesn't work like a lich

he's alive not skeleton with an attitude problem

a combination of narcolepsy and working in a knife factory.

Is TNO the most powerful character in the DnD universe after he absorbs all of his previous selves. He has the knowledge of dozens (hundreds?) of people who were max level in different classes. So combined he is like max level in every single class.

Attached: alexander-biryukov-nameless-one-dreadleft.jpg (1080x1920, 477K)

could be up there

depends on what he knows really

You'd think more people who crave immortality would aim for being a deity's Chosen. It's not just eternal life, it's also much greater power, and unless your god was some cunt like Lolth, there aren't a lot of strings attached.

>wants immortality
>gets it by being some god's bitch
Yeah, no.

Eliminster isn't Mystra's bitch. He's damn near her consort.

A LOT of "basically like medieval Europe/Germania, but a little different because magic" stops making any sense when the afterlife becomes an objective, measurable, truth, with rules that can be tested, and confirmed.

People doing evil acts to attain immortality is one of them. Now, people doing evil acts to try and become such an evil badass that when their ass gets thrown into hell, they get to be one of the ones doing the torturing, because they know they have no shot of going to any of the good afterlives... that makes perfect sense.

I'd think most of the average folks around Sigil probably don't know much about liches, though. If they even know they exist at all. They wouldn't have much reason to. Seeing some guy that looks relatively normal running around in a barbarian's garb and talking about being immortal would be seen as quite hard to believe.

You gotta keep in mind that when you become a petitioner in the outer planes, you lose all your memories of your mortal life. I could see a lot of people, especially the type of evil wizard who loves hoarding knowledge, to not be too keen on that.

What? Given how Sigil is the greatest planar metropolis, a place where angels and devils alike go to, and where powerful wizards are common... it's a very safe bet to say that the people there are the ones most likely to know about liches. And it's not like liches don't do stuff that would catch the eye of extraplanar denizens either - Vecna is the (un)living proof of that.

The reason of why TNO being immortal is such a big issue is because of how it happened, the consequences of it and how it works. With how it happened, I might be wrong, but I think it was that no god wanted his soul. Literally, for some reason,of the shitload of gods that exist in the DnD universe, not one of them wanted his soul. Now how his immortality worked was that everytime he died, a new version of him appeared, but withouth the past one memories, we are talking a almost complete blank slate version of amnesia, and thats every time he dies, which considering some of the versions the NO meets, must have been a lot. And for consequences, well, the fact that there are now multiple versions of him running around the multiverse is not necessarily a good thing, especially because many of those versions represent different facets or concepts of him, like his Mortality.

I think you might be remembering incorrectly. Every time he dies a new version of him isnt created. He just loses his memory but its the same body. There is only one of him running around in the multiverse.
Every time he dies SOMEONE ELSE loses their life instead of him, which is why all the shadows are after him for the entire game. The shadows are people who have died in his place.

And why would the average cutter on the streets of Sigil know about liches? Sure, the devas and shit like that would be powerful enough to have learned about liches and things like that, but even in Sigil they don't make up the majority. All sorts of people are in Sigil, and that includes hapless folks that absolutely have no power in the grand scheme of things. Just look to all of the thugs and criminals infesting certain parts of the city and it's clear that extraplanar badasses aren't even close to a majority of Sigil's population.

All the random spergs you meet through the course of the game that don't understand how TNO does what he does?

I really cant remember anyone like that, most of the people you meet who know about his immortality have already met or heard about his previous incarnations so they arent that shocked when they meet you.

There are multiple times in the game where you can show off your ability to come back from the dead to literal whos, like stabbing yourself in the neck during the lecture about the afterlife

Is this twink supposed to be TNO?
Looks like the fag incarnation.

He's cosplaying so he probably is a fag. But to answer your question. Yes, yes he is.

That's a 3D model you blind retard.