One of my players is insisting on running a mage in a setting where magic literally doesn’t exist...

One of my players is insisting on running a mage in a setting where magic literally doesn’t exist, and refuses to switch to a flavorful substitute. How do I remedy this without being a massive autist?

Attached: 55305AAB-05C4-4806-AFB4-A48A48027E96.jpg (252x252, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

squid.org/freebase.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Saying 'No' doesn't make you a massive autist, user.

Tell him to fuck off. If he were worth playing with he'd be reasonable about the situation and not force an ultimatum. But he did force an ultimatum, so now you get to choose to tell him to fuck off and be completely justified about it.

Saying "No" is a very valuable life skill, user! You don't have to be completely rude about it, just don't let him bully you.

Telling him that his concept is not viable for the game nor going to be allowed is not being an autist, user. Just grow a spine and put your foot down. If he bitches, explain that it's your game and you don't have magic and that he'll have to deal with that.

Option A is to be a dickhead, "allow" him to play a mage, and whenever he insists on magic! tell the other players the character does some weird mumbo - jumbo, but nothings ever happens. In other words, let the player to believe he's playing a mage, but is just a schizophrenic hobo. "I told ya, magic doesn't exists here, is your own fault".

Option B, which is the polite way, is just to tell him to fuck off.

It could litterally lead to an awesome character which insist and really believe he has magic powers when he does not. But by the look of it it's just your player being a retard so just tell him to fuck off.

Clarke's Third Law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

This right here,do Option A

Sounds like he's the one being an autist, so you can either engage on his level and inevitably be forced to deal with screaming tard rage or you can just tell him to fuck off.

>let player waste time making his character
>first combat/noncombat spell thats "cast"
>"I cast X!"
>You say some gibberish, thrust your finger/hand in the direction of Y, and of course nothing happens
>rinse, wash, repeat until he's dead or jailed for insanity

Easy.

tell him if he doesn't want to make a character that fits in your setting he can fuck right off and not come back.

show that dumb faggot this thread

these are our opinions not yours, you just asked for advice. let him see that behind the complacent exteriors of fellow players and dms he might know lies complete and utter disdain for what a tremendous shitbird he is

Good idea.

Try to suck less, OP's friend. We all want you to succeed.

Attached: frog_king.png (412x361, 364K)

Why are you using a system with mages in a setting where magic doesn't exist ?

Surely there is a better system for the setting you want to use.

Beyond that, if a player doesn't want to make a character that will fit the game you want to run, you shouldn't allow that player to be in your game.

In saying that, there are GMs who say what system their running and expect players to have a character ready for the first session. But they don't tell anyone that specific classes aren't allowed unless someone shows up with one of those classes. Don't be one of those GMs.

Kill him
in his sleep

tl;dr tell him to fuck off

Say "no"

Seconded

Pretty sure he's the one being the autist and that he's struggling with the infantile instinct to want what he's told he can't have, just like all the other contrarian shithead That Guy players who immediately make a beeline for whatever extinct race, banned class, or nonexistent archetype the GM has told them they can't have.

And, what What these guys said. Tell him no, and that if he doesn't like it, he can find another game. In fact, I would say he's the one being the autist here.

Simple. Give him these rules and let him give it a crack. They were originally published inside an old parody RPG in the 90's, and it'll basically turn him into a drug-slinging methhead: squid.org/freebase.html

let him be a mage but whenever he tries to use magic just say "you can't do that" and then he just looks like a big autist waving around a stick and shouting nonsense

Saying 'no' is actually the non-autistic thing to do. Fearing conflict and fearing asking for what you want are autistic as fuck.

That or the faggot can player a psion.

Rape him. Always assert dominance in the quickest, most efficient manner.

>refuses to switch
Refuse to play with them for being a child.

>How do I remedy this without being a massive autist?
"That's unfortunate for you then. Bye." It sounds harsh but he does sound like a complete faggot, I could understand someone "awww that sucks but I wanted to x" but that should be followed by "Oh well, its your campaign, your rules."

Tell him okay but he needs to be this kind of magician. Specialize in slight of hand and misdirection.

Attached: adult-magic-magician-costume.jpg (1750x2500, 277K)

He could roll a medieval scientist that everyone thinks does magic cause he has a somewhat decent grasp on medicine and alchemy

You need to be a massive autiist OP.
Embrace it.

You should kill your player. This is not autismal, and your other friends will respect you.

kill him

Unironically good advice.