/osrg/tsrdnd/diydnd/gsdg/gdg2/foeg/ - Old School Renaissance General

Welcome to /osrg/ – a center for AD'n'D'n'SHEEEIT.
Try to avoid mentioning system names. Starts arguments.
If your system belongs here, the ambiguity won't interfere with discussion.

>Troves:
pastebin.com/uxGaXgCB

>Tools & Resources:
pastebin.com/KKeE3etp

>Old School Blogs:
pastebin.com/ZwUBVq8L

>Previous thread:

Topic:
Is right about Paladins? And other obscure tidbits from Blackamoor.

Attached: KJX3ZWN.jpg (1667x2048, 449K)

Other urls found in this thread:

runescape.wikia.com/wiki/2008_Easter_event
coinsandscrolls.blogspot.com/2017/03/osr-100-orthodox-spells.html
youtube.com/watch?v=LlcQ3hO-EPY&feature=youtu.be
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/54846910/#54849608
youtube.com/watch?v=QjFKodOgIgs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Paladins have very little that clerics don't bring at the table, and even less that fighter/clerics wouldn't do, either mechanically or fluffwise.

Burgers keep your supersized asses out of the thread

Attached: supersize.png (640x640, 277K)

>Try to avoid mentioning system names.

That's retarded. You're a faggot, OP.

By that logic, thieves are useless because wizards can have Knock and Invisibility spells.
Paladins are simply better at fighting and are less limited in doing so than clerics. Plus, the paladin has tons of thematic powers and abilities that make them elite champions of their alignment that Evil simply doesn't have an answer to.

Attached: gyg.jpg (87x125, 3K)

The bigger overlap concern is fighting men with law aligned ego swords v. paladins.

What is this a meme for Runequest's playerbase? Because it's tiny

Now that OSR has moved away from D&D what system should I be playing?

B/X

Whatever makes you happy, user. Whatever makes you happy.
And, ideally, non-combative.

Anyway, didn't get an answer last thread. Any good Easter themed adventures?

Attached: ryuutama-egg.jpg (736x234, 54K)

R/Q

Dungeon World.

runescape.wikia.com/wiki/2008_Easter_event

So I haven't been in these threads for a month or so. What the fuck happened, did we get a discord or something? Is that why it became cancer?

It's worse, we've had two (or maybe three) discords.

We have two discords and we've had at least one for two years.
The fault today lies with

Kek

Battlelords of the 23rd Century

A single, very butthurt troll. The best solution is to be awake when Americans sleep.

How are we supposed to find the thread without a qt3.14 anime girl as the picture?

Fiasco, it's super OSR. Everybody dies all the time, it's epic!

Is it true that OSR games take more preptime than modern games? I hear this often and I'm sure it relates mostly to dungeon building.

We've had a minimum of three and supposedly a secret fourth, and they're all hilarious disasters. We should create a fifth, it'll work this time.

It doesn't if you know what your doing, it does if you don't, It's a amplifer.

TIL Discord is communism.

Post your most OSR anime girls here.

Attached: Deedlit.full.1542460.jpg (2500x2937, 1.94M)

Real Discordism has never been tried.

Early editions of the original fantasy role playing game.

Attached: 265_13_34hu.jpg (263x312, 39K)

Oh god no.

Balancing encounters and working out challenge ratings that may never matter is the worst thing for 3E-5E games. And what if that monster's Wisdom score comes up in play?

In OSR you have Hit Dice and a saving throw and you're pretty much done.

Most interesting encounters are completely emergent in my opinion. As far as I can tell, when I don't pull punches, introduce impassable obstacles on a map and let reasonable player actions succeed without resorting to dice rolls the rest of the game writes itself.

Attached: __marcille_dungeon_meshi_drawn_by_mudou_eichi__f69b870f8464f986b4c46cfea5573db8.png (875x1200, 458K)

Attached: erufu waifu.png (2471x885, 1.4M)

I actually *like* spells slots and spell levels part of Vancian magic, I just don't like the spells.

Can anyone give some ideas on how to do spells better? And don't say magic words, I've researched and experimented with that shit to death.

Attached: Merlin the Wizard.jpg (1850x1259, 528K)

It depends. I'd say that building a 5E dungeon is much more labor-intensive than building an OSR dungeon.

You can also use generators and broad-stroke descriptions for a lost of osr content. Sessions need less planning; PCs are expected to have their own goals and motivations and build the story themselves. All the GM really needs to do is assemble some scenery.

Attached: Another One Bites The Dust.png (900x675, 1.42M)

What don't you like about them?

Make each spell be a specific creature summoned for the duration. Instead of fireball, an angry fire elemental who punches things. You can interact with them, bribe them, level them up.
Magical pokemon, basically.

Attached: assorted_fruits.jpg (760x596, 225K)

Marcille is not for lewd!

>Can anyone give some ideas on how to do spells better?
coinsandscrolls.blogspot.com/2017/03/osr-100-orthodox-spells.html

Not advocating for levelless spells, these are just lists with above average "good spell" content.
Spells that do at least 2 unrelated things are interesting spells with broad problem solving use.

Attached: OSR - Wonder and Wickedness.pdf (PDF, 7.95M)

I find the trap I fall into is that I need to put something into every dungeon room. If I ignore 60% of rooms, add strategic obstacles, give my dungeons factions, random encounters and assign them motivations then everyone has more fun at the table as opposed to concerning myself with minutiae.

Attached: __chilchuck_laios_marcille_and_senshi_dungeon_meshi_drawn_by_kiyopon__sample-59616668b145fd959a6c6bc (850x1588, 871K)

Would you believe I had to sift through 5 pages of her bare tits on danbooru to find that picture?

Attached: __marcille_dungeon_meshi_drawn_by_mochi_mochi444420__sample-7b260dfb3bc5699530cf12aaa62ad95c.jpg (850x765, 225K)

"rating:safe"

I believe you, absolutely.

Peter Mullen is best OSR artist

I don't disagree.

Where's the picture you're quoting from?

Attached: scrap princess.png (1280x548, 233K)

Say it has seen a tour of doody in the bathroom. What is the appropriate discount when selling it on eBay?

>I just don't like the spells
1) throw out all default spells
2) make a new spell list
I guarantee that a game that uses Space Age Sorcery, Eldritch Weirdness, and converted spells from Nyambe will a lot weirder.

don't know for sure, but I think it might have been from the last DCC kickstarter

Attached: I+dont+know+why+but+i+feel+as+if+i+understand+this+one_510ac9028c93ce6a626d43323d7dc1d1.jpg (391x668, 27K)

>Zak S. has a low opinion of SA Forums
Why was his use of Veeky Forums ever in question?

What have you got against German people?

Attached: bergermaster.jpg (1280x720, 51K)

Yeah, always start with broad strokes and big ideas before designing and filling your map. Factions, themes, and tone first - individual rooms, encounters, and traps later.
Heh.

Attached: 1494774229634.jpg (1064x496, 538K)

It wasn't, we've known he regulars Veeky Forums for years.

I just found out about this whole extended stop-motion, uh, cosmology recently.
I thought Rudolph was /it/. But no, there's more. A lot more youtube.com/watch?v=LlcQ3hO-EPY&feature=youtu.be

Attached: bogdan-padalko-c58872fe-0c1b-46x-b975-8c3a6b4b3b78.jpg (1920x1920, 261K)

I used to be a heavy prep GM, but since I have started playing OSR, I have been able to come to the table empty handed and play great games without any prep.

Sounds more like an issue with city-slicks. Or maybe thieves.

Someone mentioned WoD posts? What's the story.

He tried utilizing /wodg/ to attack a fellow contractor who criticized him and was immediately identified.

Laius's armor bothers me greatly. The design is just so unwieldy.

I don't know a good way to dig for that. Do you have a link?

Outside of maybe Berserk, the visual design for fantasy anime/manga is almost universally shite. What else is new.

I don't have anything more complete than this image unfortunately.

Attached: 1492711428358.png (641x890, 196K)

> why cancer
Let's put a stop to this. I'll start. I'm triggered by BFRPG, ACKS, GLOG, Patrick Stuart and Zak. Everyone say what you don't like and we'll know and respect your feelings. /osrg/ will be a safe place for everyone.

Using Veeky Forums to attack people you don't like seems... naive.
That's what bothers you about the story?
Eventually you hit genre saturation and you can free-wheel easily. Design dungeons on the fly, build cool factions instantly, etc.

Attached: 1520638524348.jpg (1200x1656, 360K)

>post number
That was EXTREMELY helpful, thank you.
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/54846910/#54849608

I guess this explains the Varg thing too.
But if David Hill is from /wodg/, why was he talking about OSR?

Attached: 1519015750018.png (393x154, 14K)

>That's what bothers you about the story?
Yes. Otherwise Dungeon Meshi is delightful.

>why was he talking about OSR?
He wasn't, Zak wrote a shitty VN for 1WoD.

I'm not a huge fan of cantelopes, Nazis, and shitposters.
Honestly, I'm not sure I hate anything. It seems like a lot of effort to hate everything all the time.
>Spells that do at least 2 unrelated things are interesting spells with broad problem solving use.
That's a great summary.
Heh, IMMEDIATELY spotted.

Attached: Min_Yum_19a.jpg (680x941, 126K)

"the Varg thing" wasn't even a invention of Hill or "Veeky Forums", It began on Google+.

>Yes. Otherwise Dungeon Meshi is delightful.
I'll take it.

Attached: dungeon-meshi-6119761.jpg (728x1036, 162K)

>David Hill and his Veeky Forums pals consistently claim Varg was a major OSR designer
If David Hill wasn't involved, what rustled Zak's jimmies?

It does it's job. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Attached: csivrAc.png (1024x556, 1.63M)

Dunno. That man's jimmies are in a constant state of flux. They rustle like a SunChip biodegradable bag during a midnight showing of Grave of the Fireflies

Wrong image, sorry.

Attached: 13.jpg (1739x1231, 278K)

dungeon crawl classics free rpg day quick start guide

I'm disgusted by vanity in the

Don't reply to the scat fetishist posts.

I'm triggered by arguments over systems and people, otherwise, you dudes are pretty cool.

>Battlelords of the 23rd Century
If I laugh at the fact that its DM is called a BM (Battle Master), will you confuse me with the guy who keeps posting about shit and going to the bathroom?

I'm triggered by unimaginitive repetitive trolls that keep on doing the exact same act over and over again, as well as by goldfish-brained faggots who seriously argue with them every damned time as if expecting something to change or for someone to notice their post and think they're so damned clever.

Attached: bane.jpg (528x400, 40K)

Heh. I've got one friend who insists the GM is the Grand Master. After very carefully listening to an explanation of D&D, they said... "So.. when all the characters are dead, who wins?"

He seemed to get the idea of multi-sided dice until he found out the numbers went above 6. For some reason, he thought a d20 was "1-6, 1-6, 1-6, 1-2"

Attached: 1499303650234.png (984x2354, 1.87M)

Is it just one guy? Because there have been retarded arguments where both sides needed to be drowned in a river, which would suggest that it's at least 2 people, or maybe 1 really dedicated person. But yeah, /osrg/ used to be very chill and reasonable.

(oops, wrong tab)

Somebody a few weeks back asked why the Carcosa supplement didn't actually stat the city of Carcosa, and I kind of agreed that it seemed silly at the time, but...
I've been reading some old mythos stuff lately and it occurs to me that Carcosa proper is not a place that should be nailed down to a definite entry, or that sane PCs should ever want to go. All the references seem to point to it being very strange, very dead, and almost certainly cursed. The only known inhabitant is the king, still sitting on his throne, his yellow finery in tatters. And you don't want to meet the King in Yellow.

youtube.com/watch?v=QjFKodOgIgs

>Songs that the Hyades soon shall sing
>where flap the tatters of the King
>must die unheard in Dim Carcosa

Not just "should" go unheard, but "MUST."

>/osrg/ used to be very chill and reasonable
Having been here intermittently for years, I can tell you that we've pretty much always used to be terrible, elitist, and easy to troll.

People can be weirdly boxed in when it comes to their thinking. Normal dice only go up to 6, so all dice must only go up to 6? When, to me, the more obvious assumption is that dice count up by 1 for every side, therefore the highest number on a die equals the number of sides it has. Of course, that isn't always true either, though it comes a lot closer.

There's only one BattleMaster of our hearts.

Attached: Beemer.gif (347x450, 26K)

I figure Carcosa is a city you only ever see in dreams or on the horizon, a madness-mirage. A place you might need to detour around but never a place you can head towards. But if if starts to hunt you...

Attached: Street Antagonist.png (1553x657, 100K)

What the hell is the context of this image.

>setting is named after a city
>city is never detailed
>"you don't understand guise it's SO deep!"
It's a rip-off is what it is.

jesus i really hate zak s.

The instant it's statted it stops being strange, and becomes just another location. Being strange and unknown is its deal, and you can't stat that, your DM has to do it himself or else it's not strange and unknown anymore.
And anyway, if you ever did go there it would basically mean a TPK.

>Song of my soul, my voice is dead
>Die thou, also, as tears unshed
>shall dry and die in lost Carcosa

yes unimaginative repetitive trolling is more effective

I think it's more funny than rage-inducing, and more sad than funny.

Attached: tumblr_ljnj2cd8pf1qisuj3o1_500.png (500x138, 74K)

What if you TPK them and they end up in Carcosa? What if they aren't sure they are dead. "Wow, lucky break we ended up here after that landslide. I wonder how we survived?"

Attached: IAOkWMz.jpg (2000x2000, 753K)

>there have been retarded arguments where both sides needed to be drowned in a river
I agree with this but my understanding is that there's one guy who for some reason has lurked /osrg/ enough to figure out what will set our more trigger-happy regulars off, then prod there. It would be a commendable effort if it weren't retarded and the same amount of work could have made the guy a Bitcoin millionaire. (In a way I sympathize with the regular anons just losing their shit; retarded as the slapfights are, they just want to avoid the thread losing its topic and turning useless to everyone just because it hurts some niche fanboy's feelings that old≠old-school.)

Of course it could be one troll mostly samefagging a fake argument, or two playing off one another, but that seems unbearably sad. His assrage about nobody wanting to play R*n*q**st must be volcanic then.

Either way, I'm reasonably sure one precision ban would solve this problem entirely.

Attached: Hutt Burt.png (549x521, 15K)

This doesn't really make sense in McKinney's Carcosa considering the amount of human "labour" involved in sorcery.

I don't know really, I just feel like most of the classic spells are kind of bad. Like they're usually too strong AND trollishly written to make them as unfun as possible.

Not bad.

I was probably going to end up doing this anyway; but I appreciate the suggestions. I'd like mage players to have fun whilst also avoiding the pitfalls of the shitty D&D magic system.

Attached: Wizard black and white.jpg (1092x1600, 277K)