Tell me what I should be looking forward to about this coin in the next few months

Tell me what I should be looking forward to about this coin in the next few months.

some gains

its time for 680 or 700 USD in the next week.

I have been waiting for this to pick up because of tax season incoming.. not seeing changes. I wonder if people believe in it.

it's not heavily shilled anyomore so I guess it's due to some price increase soon

hardware wallets are going to be big

More sideways trading

Yup. First hardware wallet coming soon in Q1. Ledger support coming. GUI port to android also coming in Q1. Monero is slow with everything because they need everything to be 100 percent secure and private. One fuckup and they lose their brand. Monero also just drops stuff, never any buildup. Poof suddently monero on some other exchange. Poof suddently partnership/integration with other fintech/marketplace.

I think the best argument for monero is the fact that when you pay the pizza delivery with crypto, you dont want that guy going online and checking your wallet balance. Monero is not controversial its the future of crypto, atleast for a while.

Maybe the greatest

It's currently sitting beside bitcoin gold, an unironic scam, in market cap. If that isn't an indicator of being undervalued I don't know what is. Monero is the real deal but is low key. People will come around eventually with the right catalyst (hardware wallets, decreased fees with bulletproofs, chain analysis used against holders of a large project). The high emission essentially ends in 2018 so there will be less downward pressure from mining too.

>One fuckup and they lose their brand
Could you tell me why it's more true for Monero than any other crypto?

Sell it now, Verge is superior in every way... when this blows up to $2-5 in the next couple of weeks, don't come crying please.

Other cryptos that claim to be "privacy focused" usually have an option of sending a private transaction, such as zcash.

Monero has privacy as its core focus, and EVERY transaction and EVERY wallet is private and untraceable. There's shitloads of reading you can do that proves this, people have been paid to try and trace transactions or hack the network and it so far has been proven impossible.

This is the swiss bank account of cryptocurrencies, seriously.

That being said, it is very well established and so doesn't offer the risks and rewards of very new ICOs etc

Because their main selling point is that they are a currency, with a grassroot developed privacy tech. They don't do smart contracts (atleast not yet) or deployable blockchains or send money between fridges cheap. Ethereum can have fails like the hard fork to turn back the hack because they have this futuristic almost religious following, and their roadmap goes in all directions fueling more futuristic hype.

Monero does one (maybe boring) thing, and they do it well. If they lose their privacy they will take a huge hit.

AFAIK monero will not ever implement smart contracts, they consider themself as primaly as a currency and believe smart-contracts are better solved elsewhere. Monero is very open to anything that makes it more private or work better as currency, which shows up from amount of research they do.

I bought this shit like 5 days ago and all it's done is go down. Lookin at a 23% loss right now. It hasn't been this low since November, what the hell?

Is there currently any other crypto with total privacy that is developing smart contracts? Would that be extra hard to implement?

Vergens are getting desperate lol

>total privacy
There is one coin in the whole of crypto that is truly totally private, and that is Monero. The fact of the matter is Monero is a currency, it doesn't need smart contracts and I highly doubt it ever will.

Monero 2k minimum end of 2018. This coin is probably the only coin that would survive a market wide collapse.

>public blockchain

like thats supposed to be a good thing in a privacy coin, lol

I got impatient with it and bought some weed with it.

steady she goes, a lot of breakthroughs are coming out soon for xmr

>public Blockchain
>good
Fix that shit and we can start talking.

So should I buy more XMR while it's very low?

XMR is more of a coin that you would actually use and support rather than look for massive gains in imo, if any coin succeeds i hope it will be this one.

I am 100% XMR.

t. ancap

god damn that is disturbing

No

Buy high sell low

i think monero is really going to appeal to the "fuck banks" crowd...who often have lots of dough.

xmr is pure utility, when another privacy coin comes out with better tech the users move there. for now its the best but it won't be forever

Gonna stick some of my xmr into some quick gains (eng), will put profits back into xmr, as anyone should be doing now.

It will user people will wait until the last day though. Tax season ends around April. You will see a massive surge then

THIS SO MUCH

>for now its the best but it won't be forever
I doubt this, monero isn't a fixed thing. There's active research, all meeting logs etc are out there open. It has community based funding, e.g. kovri developer is funded full time for $2.5m. Monero is not blocked by its own ego, and is open for replacing its own tech for sake of better coin or privacy. SPECTRE, MimbleWimble and LN they are all under research for possible adoption.

Monero is so fucking based. Wish I held more of it but I'm making gains elsewhere that outpace it by diversifying desu.

Ideally Monero would be THE currency everyone used though.

I just sold half my stack user to move into VEN, I could move it back in a months time and have 4xXMR, easy life

Monero is doing research constantly with people who have PHD's in cryptography and get paid 120,000$ a year to search for more privacy orientated possibilities. You are beyond fucking stupid if you think another coin will go up on top. Looking into:
1. ZK-Snarks and ZK-Starks
2. Bulletproofs
3. Spectre
4. Hashgraps
5. DAG's

Pretty much everything bleeding edge they are looking at, if it looks like it will improve XMR they will prepare to hardfork to the newer standard.

This thread is helping me cope with the fact that my folio is 50% xmr and I basically missed out on all these moon missions

yeah, it was pretty hesitant about the far reaching future but the 6 months hard-forks and the research team won't let monero slip by, i'm sure it will always get better and better and adopt whatever tech is the best for privacy

There's already SUMO, which is a monero fork that improved on its shortfalls. The only thing holding sumo back is low volume/adoption rate

doesn't matter, the people are only using monero for privacy, and privacy via encryption is so fast moving we already have a replacement for the tech (zk-proofs) but all the coins that use it have fucked up so far.

i doubt anybody in the monero team has the capability to stay on top of this amount of research, especially given that cryptonote isn't something the monero team had any hand in creating themelves, it is after all just a fork of bytecoin.

funding won't help them when the new tech is simply incompatible with the old blockchain, and the only way to use it is via an ugly hack like a second layer on top, or essentially starting the blockchain over with "conversion" transactions.

it improves nothing. a fork of monero isn't worth shit. i'm talking about actual new tech.

>funding won't help them when the new tech is simply incompatible with the old blockchain, and the only way to use it is via an ugly hack like a second layer on top, or essentially starting the blockchain over with "conversion" transactions.
If you knew anything you were even talking about, SPECTRE is alternative to blockchain.

no, i'm not stupid, you're emotionally attached to a coin.

yeah, they can shove any tech they want and bloat up their already heavily power-hungry coin, or a new coin can come out that is much easier to use with provable privacy and casual users that find it easier to use will simply switch over.

monero itself didn't get any traction until DNMs started adding it, and they have the most to gain by switching over to newer coins to begin with.

>Caring about any other moons than XMR
>Not accumulating more while it’s still sub 400

you are delusional if you think the dnm will be hoping from one new privacy coin to another each time, most still bitcoin only, monero is only getting better

People have used Monero to buy on my website at 3:1 ratio out of all other coins in the last 6 months. I don't sell anything illegal. Monero is legit 'teh digital promise currency'.
Moon mission? Probably not.
Long term financial tool, like Quarters or Pound coins? Probably.

okay, so what? how do you mesh that with monero? hint: you don't, not without essentially creating a new coin and having to convert coins over, no different than a new coin with a fresh blockchain, and no legacy baggage.

nobody working on this stuff has any incentive to keep this tech inside monero exclusively, they will absolutely launch their own coin, and the market will take over.

>each time
no, it just takes once for monero to get replaced by something else, and a lot already have transitioned from bitcoin to monero. the ones that have not, will probably never.

keep waiting faggot

>hint: you don't, not without essentially creating a new coin and having to convert coins over, no different than a new coin with a fresh blockchain, and no legacy baggage.
This is the extreme case where hard-forks can't be done sanely anymore and I don't see it a huge problem. I mean we already have coins that have done this many times.

this

just hit 10 monero, it feels comfy

you're so obviously incredibly emotionally attached to monero, you need to separate your childlike emotions from the technology, because if you don't, you're going to get left behind.

there have been very few instances for coins with a very high cap though, its something you really want to avoid if possible, because all you keep is the branding, the tech and websites/exchanges implementing it are essentially supporting a new coin. it's not always so severe but for new kinds of privacy tech, or worse, blockchain tech, it will be.

the logic is simple: if base-layer privacy is critical, then monero's days are numbered, if it isn't, then i'd bet the trend will be to secure tokens on top of bitcoin and ethereum, instead of separate blockchains, especially ones that are difficult to use (if you want to fully utilize the privacy offered).

and i own hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of monero, but i have no delusions about it's purpose, if a better more liquid privacy coin exists, i would probably switch to it, but right now it's by far the best we have.

11 here
we gonna make it :')

7 :(
And I'm giving 2 to a friend to get him started in the market soon. RIP all my day trading and then some on this coin so far.

my trading goal is to acquire more monero.

I don't disagree with what you are saying. But I also have skepticism that monero would be replaced for long time, and if it does, the replacement most likely will be from the involved people.

giving away nearly a third is incredibly generous

this

Monero gonna have the first open source hardware wallet. It supposedly going to be super cheap too. Like $20

well, zero-knowledge proofs came completely outside of monero, and it doesn't look like they have any answer for it. now we all know zk-snarks in zcash and its forks are complete shit, but the point is this is the kind of tech that will cause issues for monero's longevity.

i just thnk monero has a very difficult uphill battle, because they have to try and fix scalability while also being nimble enough to implement what could about to a complete re-think of how their blockchain works, and i dont think they have the manpower for that.

I'll also say the dev community for Monero is one of the best.

Monero is only ~1/3 of my total stack so it's not TOO bad. He has literally no money and no chance at money so I'm gonna give him a shot at it.

Hopefully he does well, or better than me even, and pays it back. If not, whatever, I tried.

is that the same one they crowdfunded? some guy got a few hundred xmr and all he could manage was putting out some monero-only bare-board piece of h/w?

monero is already going to come to ledger soon, and probably trezor not long after. i would be skeptical of any non secure-hardware based hardware wallets though, unless you have the capability to manufacture your own from trusted component suppliers.

>coin that has public richlist is private
ROFL

>you're so obviously incredibly emotionally attached to monero
He's not you are a dumb fuck who just does not see the big picture, PEOPLE DO NOT LIKE SWITCHING FUCKING COINS. They gave 0 shits if it is better tech or not they will only and ONLY switch if it gives them anew huge advantage. BTC was the first and still a great example problem is that is not anonymous and a lot of the community will never want it to be because they want a public ledger. So what is left is for another coin to fulfill that function, say hello to XMR. As long as MRL keeps adding new tech to the coin that is:
- Well tested
- Has hardware wallet support
- Has big generous donators
- Believes in libertain values
People HAVE EXACTLY 0 reason to switch over to something else. People switch from fiat because it has shitty inflation exponential inflation they will switch from BTC because everybody knows what you have and knows what you buy. Until the next big thing is here XMR will keep growing bigger and bigger.

And as long as the XMR devs listen to changes people want people have no reason to switch. Again you are dumb as fuck.

not like $800 is a lot of money, but for someone who has literally nothing i'd give him less to start with, even if you intend to give it all to him anyway. if he has no money he's going to have to learn discipline with money, especially in insane markets like crypto.

a third of my blockfolio is monero. I continue to accumulate, trying to get 100 (at 75 right now) but i keep jumping on these random shitcoins

Monero is already looking into Zero knowledge trustless setups dumb fuck.

Monero community in general is the only One that doesnt give me cancer
that is exactly what he was paid to do. I would rather buy an cheap open source hw wallet from the monero community than some hw wallet company. Im a monero maximalist though

All the fags complaining about muh smart contracts are going to shit dicks when Enigma secret contracts come out and can do things like escrow with Monero coins as the monetary basis of the transaction.

Monero is the best

I may rethink the amount, not sure. But too little is too hard to make gains off of. I guess I could always give him a small amount now and let him burn himself a few times then give him more when he's learned.

But yeah, it's not a lot of money, but it'd be a big deal for him.

>Trusting Ledger

I would like to add that monero-tan is the best cryptowaifu

how exactly am i not looking at the big picture when you are obsessed with a single coin ignoring the developments in the world around you? you are emotionally invested, and have a serious case of tunnel vision when it comes to the tech, and market.

there's absolutely no evidence that people don't like switching coins, on the contrary, a new privacy coin with new tech will get an incredibly amount of buzz if it's launched in a mostly fair way like monero was. everyone is looking for the "next thing", and its that mindset that allows for the insane market we have.

you can't honestly think that monero is going to be the ultimate privacy coin, by that logic everyone would be using bitcoin. by your logic, nobody would have switched from bitcoin in the first place.

I have 3 BTC that are my long term, "low risk" (as much as can be in the crypto world) portion of my portfolio.

Since ELIX started mooning a few weeks ago it's gone down to only about 30% of my portfolio (down from about 60%).

I've been considering flipping all my BTC to XMR for a while now. Somebody convince me.

>that is exactly what he was paid to do. I would rather buy an cheap open source hw wallet from the monero community than some hw wallet company. Im a monero maximalist though
Is ledger seriously not open source lol? People buy this?

>already looking
totally missed the point there

the problem with non-secure hardware is there's no chain of trust, so you can't guarantee that nobody has tampered with it at the hardware level, regardless of the software you run on top of it. open source h/w is only secure if you actually source and built it yourself. buying a full package defeats the entire purpose of it.

On the "Hype" tip. Monero has been getting blasted in the press lately as the "Criminals Coin", which is very similar to circa 2013 BTC coverage. I actually see it as a good thing because it means institutions are worried about some known/unknown/unknown unknown momentum it has.

it is secure except for the secure element, which are impossible to open source due to the legacy way the manufacturers operate. but there are ways you can mathematically prove they operate as intended.

but the main benefit is that if someone steals it, you have a chance to move your coins. if someone steals your trezor or some other non-secure h/w wallet, your keys are as good as stolen effective immediately.

>if someone steals your trezor

Wait what? I thought trezor was the same as ledger i.e. if it was stolen your coins are still safe? Are you telling me this is the case with trezor but not with ledger?

Glad I have a ledger nano s then

the same thing happened with bitcoin, and look at where it is now. the only real harm is that places like coinbase/gemini may actually not be able to legally offer it due to their compliance requirements (tracking coins through X steps before every deposit, and after every withdrawal). but only speculators would be bothered by that, and i'd recommend against long term speculation on monero to begin with.

>buy hardware wallet
>coins now 100x easier to steal

it's a generic chip, so the keys can be extracted easily compared to a secure-chip which is a minefield and very expensive to try and extract data from.

neither of them are perfect, and they'll both cause the average thief to give up, but i'd rather be given the time to move coins than it be too late before i realize.

not to mention the trezor comes welded closed, so you cant even inspect the board for tampering, that should tell you all you need to know about the security model trezor uses.

I want my easy 10xs!!!!!

I would still consider it if a Established member of the community sourced and assembled the hardware. do you know difficult it would be to put one together yourself? I owned a trezor for bitcoin but abandoned it when I found xmr. Paper walletS have worked pretty well for me. Especially the cold signing

Having open solution (both in software and hardware) is always better than closed one.

i doubt it, but there are better ways, but they all require you buying generic hardware then ripping out networking/etc to isolate it.

it would have been better if we happened to already have a general purpose secure element usb-stick people could already by, and just flash one of many different hardware-wallet-like software onto it, but apart from credit cards the average person has never had a need for that kind of h/w before.

honestly, not that difficult, not that i would bother myself, but things have gotten a lot easier.

i would just be incredibly cautious of any independent h/w wallet that you haven't assembled yourself, especially if the person behind it is pseudonymous in any way.

verge taking over its market cap

if we had the opportunity to have a fully open and secure h/w wallet i would agree, but currently anything that doesn't go through the same trust-chain credit cards do is open to backdooring at every step.

verge is not a privacy coin

Any devs wanna help me modify the reward system to something that will further appeal to normies and release as a new shitcoin

lol. try again.

make one that just spits out a new coin to every address every day and call it UBInero. they'll eat that shit up.

Honestly I cbf with hw wallets at all and just use good software ones for all my coins lol. Signing transactions for watch wallets is pretty flawless too if you wanna be autistic.

if your house had glass walls, but you wore a bag over your head indoors, would you consider yourself to have privacy?

for most normal people a phone wallet is more security than they'll ever need, as long as they dont jailbreak on ios, or install any games or non mainstream apps on android.

is that some sort of shitty analogy?