Trezor vs ledger?

trezor vs ledger?

which one do you use and why? are they both basically the same aside from looks? can't really see what 1 does that the other doesn't.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hAtoRrxFBWs
wired.com/story/i-forgot-my-pin-an-epic-tale-of-losing-dollar30000-in-bitcoin/
coinmarketcap.com/currencies/ethgas/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

they are both buggy garbage, hardware wallets are a meme

i got a ledger. shits tight.

>hardware wallets are a meme

have you not seen the new exploit that affects Intel processors? if you have a trezor/ledger you're not affected.

I have both. AMA. The Ledger support more coins, but I like Trezor's GUI better. Ledger also has XMR and ADA support on the horizon, I don't think Trezor has announced any plans for them. Also, I think Trezor's make feels more sturdy.

Ledger. Just got mine today. Its smaller than you would expect(not that that really matters). Ive only heard good things about it so far and its also easier to get your shitcoins stored on it compared to trezor.

well, i'm freaking out about the security exploit that's been over the news. and a ledger is 2.5 months wait on shipping.

is there a difference in security? i don't really care what it looks like. just want to keep my tokens safe.

what do you do with both?

ledger uses closed hardware so you can bet your ass it has government backdoors

trezor has a proprietary cpu, it has a backdoor as well

these are accessible by governments and probably vulnerable to hackers as well

I think they're pretty much on par in terms of security but trezor is fully open source and it gives me ease of mind. I'd get both and store hedge coins on trezor and rest on ledger.

Ledger is getting XRB soon too. They actually waived their application fee.

the 2.5 month wait on shipping is a maximum time

when i ordered mine like 3 months ago it said it would take ~60 days and I had it in like 10, was really surprised. Heard similar from several friends who also had it after ~2 weeks when the wait time showed 8 weeks+

I only own Ledger but I've looked at both and do prefer the Ledger, although I don't think you'd be wrong going with either one

when you ordered did it say they were on back order and the earliest you'd get it is 60 days?

the confirmation email says this "
IMPORTANT NOTICE: your order will not ship before March 21, 2018 and then will be delivered to your address 3-5 days later"

There is no real difference in security. However, older Trezor firmware has been exploited. See the links below if you're interested about it:
youtube.com/watch?v=hAtoRrxFBWs
wired.com/story/i-forgot-my-pin-an-epic-tale-of-losing-dollar30000-in-bitcoin/

I bought the Trezor initially because it was in stock at the time and all I was only holding BTC, ETH, and ERC-20 tokens. I picked up a Ledger when they became available because I had some stacks of XLM and NEO. I also wanted to future-proof myself as much as possible since I am close to the 6 figure range.

Thanks for the info. I missed the announcement.

whew

well, i've ordered both of them at this point in the thread.

jesus i've heard of panic selling but i'm panic buying.

I don't think you get it. Both trezor and ledger use proprietary ARM CPUs, these cpus are affected by the spectre bug just like a desktop CPU would be.

Now ledger uses an extra layer on top of that, secure element. You're still at the mercy of ledger and the secure element producer and various alphabet level agencies. The fact that it has backdoors means it also hackable if you have someone who is smart enough and has the required information

if you want truly safe hardware you'd have to go full autist and maybe run something like a risc-v processor in an airgapped computer and put openbsd on top of it or some autistic libre linux distro

the trezor cpu is not open source

Put your wallets on an encrypted USB or 3 and call it a day

>Both trezor and ledger use proprietary ARM CPUs, these cpus are affected by the spectre bug just like a desktop CPU would be.
I thought that was an intel only bug?

Another security flaw with ledger is that it forces you to use chrome's app store to download the software. This software could be compromized, i think it's absolutely insane that they don't host their own software.

The fact that they ask you to use google chrome should tell you that these french frogs are pretty much fucking retarded. At least you can use chrome but that shit leaks user data to google as well.

>I don't think you get it.

dude i just spent a total of $350 for both wallets. i think i obviously don't get it.

i'm just trying my best. it has to be better than storing my key in a veracrypt volume on a usb. right?

both are fine. some ledger fanboys will tell you trezor is compromised, ignore.

i think meltdown was intel specific, spectre isn't

in either case this bug mostly affects VMs

Oh fuck, spectre affects damn near everything.
This is nuts

i have linux dual booted on my laptop but i never use it.

is linux affected, too?

I don't see why a ledger would be more secure than and old airgapped AMD system running openbsd or such with full disk encryption, in fact it's probably less secure because of the proprietary secure element

Ledger is NOT affected by the CPU exploits, because the CPU doesn't access the private key

It depends on the processor you use, not on the OS. And it seems to affect everything.

Veeky Forums doesn't seem to be freaking out about it. there's 19 threads if bitcoin goes down $1 but haven't heard much about this.

hopefully that means i'm just being more paranoid than i should be.

i haven't updated my system in 3 years but i did selectively apply the CPU security update. just update, lads

i checked my laptop last night, chrome updated and windows up to date. i'm sure i'm going overboard, but oh well, i needed a push to get one of these wallets anywho.

because these bugs really only affect virtual machines

if youre using windows youre fucked already

what if i'm using a pirated and heavily-customized version of windows 7?

even worse, the pirate probably put backdoors of his own in there

>implying he's not watching your desktop right now

Which is the best one to sweep ETH tokens to from MEW?

>if youre using windows youre fucked already

why do you say that? i have linux, too. when i get my trezor should i only use it in linux? if so, what distribution do you recommend?

>when i get my trezor should i only use it in linux?
the whole point of these wallets is that you can use them on unsecure systems

>what is a decade-old private tracker with very tight ruleset, good community, and a policy where if there is any fuckery (uploading viruses, not seeding, etc) is banned by banning the entire invite tree?
i'm not worried senpai

god damn, that's what i figured until i fell for the other post

i'm already a paranoid person. this spectre thing is getting me out of hand. i use windows 8.1 updated, chrome updated, there no random sketchy software installed on my laptop. i don't visit sketchy sites. i always check the MEW website is official. never used a virtual machine. ahhh

go hack my paper wallet you nigger

>my paper wallet

if you've ever typed out your private key anywhere you're vulnerable.

that being said i think you should probably just go with a fully encrypted ubuntu, you can select encryption when you install it

if someone steals your computer and youre running windows they pretty much have access to everything and even if you dont keep private keys they could still access all your documents and financial documents and whatever

>better than storing my key in a veracrypt volume on a usb. right?
USB is still OK
what matters is that you have your keys. getting them off of the exchange is most important.
you did good.
I chose TREZOR and I'm happy. I'm only holding the main alts, though.

You need to buy EGAS and hold it long term, it has huge potential. 13M Max supply and it costs pennies right now. Great concept and active twitter. mooncoin material.
Take a look@ coinmarketcap.com/currencies/ethgas/