PhD in Finance Prof

My PhD Finance professor warned our class today about crypto gambling.

His points were that

1) cashing out in Canada is very risky as Quadriga is unregulated and they could run away with your money

2) The companies have no intrinsic value. From a fundamental analysis, the companies are all obviously overvalued

3) A sudden regulatory announcement could crash the market significantly, especially from say the US. (Could big banks lobby and scare the market big time potentially prior to releasing their crypto trading platforms?)

Can anyone give me some points so I can refute or discuss any of this and sound smart next class?

>crypto gambling.
>gambling.

Fuck off.

buy MCO and ETH

He's spot on. The S. Korea FUD should be all you need to defend his position. All it took was one pajeet at a failing news organization to jump the gun with fake news about them shutting down crypto and it tanked the market for about as long as it took to get the real story out there. Imagine this happening for real and it's over.

He mentioned this as his primary example. Then related it to what would happen if the US government made a misinterpreted or even a correctly reported anti-crypto comment.

Your professor is absolutely right. Most coins aren't just overvalued they have no intrinsic value at all. This whole thing is just a giant ponzi propped only by people's greed, shilling vaporware no one uses or cares about and twitter hype.
Don't listen to /bizspergs who will shout 'F-FUD' and call you a retard. Today they are bragging about muh gains tomorrow they are posting pink wojaks and contemplating suicide.

1. Cashing out can be done through multiple ways. The Exchange in question might be dangerous, but that does not speak for crypto as a whole.
2. Again a sweeping statement. There is most definitely value in DLT technology - and blockchain tech. Just as there is value in Data. Its up to the 'investor' to discover said value.
3. Potentially, but unlikely - examine the China ban. Countries would have to coordinate legislation, and are notoriously greedy for Coming to a concensus. Short term maybe.

Finally - prof is from the old tech and thinks in old tech terms. Also most likely wants to protect pupils from dumb moves. Doesn't necessarily invalidate sound investment and thought processes.

IOTA has a higher market cap than the cost of the voyager missions. Think about that

>Canadian education
Why not just bang rocks together and save your money?

What Uni fag?

your professor sounds like a salty nocoiner lmao

why bother refuting, let the braindead morons who listen to authorities go straight to their financial doom.

>living in Canada
>being Canadian
lmao

>The companies have no intrinsic value
>Crypto
>Companies

I bet you buy bitcoin stocks aswell.

I don't blame him. Even if I wasn't a nocoiner, as a professor I would totally use my position as an "expert" to FUD the living shit out of students. Then maybe at the end of the final exam put in a footnote about how they are all retarded faggots for believing me.

Everyone knows this faggot. Just don't post about it on here because we need people to buy these things to make us rich. Also why would you give money to an institution like google who is actively trying to destroy the middle class?

Seems like such a cuck move I refuse to put money in stocks.

He says he does have about 5% of his portfolio in crypto as he says he's single and young and it's a calculated risk

He's right, crypto nowadays is not rational and mostly driven på FOMO

That being said he also sounds like a salty no coiner

Would organization/foundation have been a better word choice?

Tell me what uni faggot. I wanna know if I had this fuck face.

I strongly feel as though this bubble will far exceed the Dotcom bubble for two reasons.

1) Increased communication: nowadays EVERYONE is connected and will see their dickhead old classmates posting about their mad gains in crypto and FOMO will hit them hard. Fear is a huge motivator.

2) Accessibility: the Dotcom bubble required investors to go to an institutional agent to invest. With crypto anyone can use their phone and be moving in an hour.

These two together will IMO get this bubble up to 10ish trillion. +-5

That was really due to CMC removing s.korea from the market cap which made everything look like it was going down which caused everyone to sell, making it go down further.

He's right

I started with $5000 in 2016 and now how $400,000 and some people have done much better than me. I don't really get the people who mortgage their home to speculate on crypto, but it's worth a shot throwing in money you're willing to lose

>plenty of other ways to cash out if you so choose
>some companies DO have value if you understand the tech. Sure picking random coins and investing in them sounds like gambling and it basically is if you are uneducated. If he had a degree in a field more related to blockchain i.e. networking then he may be able to understand the tech better and pick the ones with true fundamental value.
>the same holds with the US stock market but yet it is considered "safe" if you believe that the technology will survive in the long run a short term crash doesnt matter as much.

Store of value is a meme, however some coins represent more than just transactions. Coins such as Ethereum and NEO represent a network with which smart contracts can be executed. This alone means they are currencies backed by a service.

So when you buy Ethereum and NEO you don't simply speculate their prices will rise, but the demand for their smart contract network will rise and thus increase demand for the token.

Good point. So the fundamental value is the potential for services to blossom from the platform?

Yeah, assessing one's own risk tolerance is very important.

Yes, those are the coins to watch out for.

Decentralized computing => service backed currency

>The companies have no intrinsic value. From a fundamental analysis, the companies are all obviously overvalued
sounds like a dumbfuck boomer faggot who has't heard about 15 billion dollar VC backed companies that can't make a single penny of net revenue if their lives depended on it and whose entire valuation is based on nothing but hype and growth potential

I don't think he would be very bullish on those companies either. I could ask his opinion next week on silicon valley though if you want

Here's some easy points. One is that these aren't companies valuing them that way is just retarded. There valuation comes from there utility which in part comes from there liquidity. Take stellar or ehtereum. They have smart contracts and networks banks can use to transfer money without intermediaries securely. The problem is they need the market to be liquid with less volatility to use this, they buy the token, ethereum or xlm in order to do it. Therefore as the token goes up in value and daily trade volume, banks use it more which can create a cycle of increasing value which obviously has a cap the difficulty is seeing when that cap is. The point is the value of all these coins is the value of the market they disrupt as long as they remain in utility while they disrupt it, and grow in use.

tell him to try and fuck the students like a normal professor and to suck my cock

What system do banks currently use for these transfers? How much percent wise could crypto save them?

> A sudden regulatory announcement could crash the market significantly, especially from say the US.
what about decentralized exchanges and monaco cards. I would never need to cash out
also this

Your purchasing power would still be severely affected though right?

Huh...I suppose. Depends how the market reacts.

>2) The companies have no intrinsic value. From a fundamental analysis, the companies are all obviously overvalued

What is this fundamental analysis to claim companies are overvalued?

And what has intrinsic value?

I should be fair, I'm not sure if he called them companies. He says the current utility does not equate to the given market caps.

>2) The companies have no intrinsic value
Just like Google, Amazon, and Yahoo in the late 1990s.

well he's right but the bubble will keep going long enough for us to make money. most cryptoassets are overvalued but some are actually undervalued imo (ETH, NEO are a few examples)

MC =/= total amount of $$$ bound to it, especially not with crypto

You lost me, what makes up market cap then? I have always believed it's circulating supply times unit price

well you should have called him out because if he knew what the market cap for some company/asset should be, he wouldn't be teaching.

I'd be interested to see individual company stock prices over the 90s to today

What should he have included?

correct, but is not equal to amount of money actually invested/bound to that. a cryptocurrency is not backed 1:1 to every coin in circulation (with the exception of Tether if they actually have the amount in reserve they claim to have)

What year was the peak of the Dotcom bubble?

Does he understand that their market cap is based off of coin circulation and not the total size of the company.

Ah, I see, you are including locked tokens. That makes sense.

hello alcohol fetal syndrome

He isn't wrong. That's why the gains are so huge, because the risk is enormous.

> has PhD
> fails to understand why decentralization is desired

I want to believe you but am finding it hard. Are you at a cow college somewhere?

Unrelated, but does Canada have taxes for crypto-to-crypto trades like the US?

Taxes are based on capital gains so basically money in money out

He wasn't arguing that decentralization is desirable or not, just the risk associated with possible regulation and overvaluation given current market conditions

you can't because they are all true

the only thing you can do is throw him some buzzwords like "new paradigm" or "change the system"

I’ve read somewhere that bitcoin exchanges should be registered with the CRA and should report unusual activity to them. QuadrigaCX and coinsquare are examples of those exchanges

Local coins.

Fuck regulations as our hero Satoshi is still in hiding so if they could have shut it down they would have.

Re over valued; one must know the scarcity of an asset before being able to assign it value. Mr professor, how many cad or usd exist in total numerical terms??

There's 21 mil btc so obviously the number of Fiat bux must be known because it's safely regulated and managed by kosher enthusiasts.

Ask him if investing your student loans in bancor would have given you a higher return over 4 years than his class.

Fair enough, I agree that regulations are likely, but given what happened in Korea last week (Koreans are notorious gambling addicts and the entire country is so crypto-crazy right now that citizens were effectively preparing a coup d'etat until govt officials backed off on their statements to save their own asses)

Forgot to finish this statement. What I meant to suggest was I'm not sure other government entities--particularly those that stake their reputation on valuing economic freedom--would risk bringing a similar shitsow down on their own heads

Your prof is clearly spreading FUD so he can buy your coins cheap.

Jan 2000
Fix for 2018: There was no bubble, just correction.