Serious question -- do any of you guys actually know anything about blockchains or are you blindly tossing your money...

serious question -- do any of you guys actually know anything about blockchains or are you blindly tossing your money around just to get rich?

After reading the book (posted), I find it quite interesting (or funny) how so many people still throw their money into blockchains like bitcoin and etherium and think that either could be the future.

Other urls found in this thread:

coinmarketcap.com/currencies/ethgas/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Fuck your book, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ "reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

High level:

With blockchain we have an emerging tech that could enable a tectonic shift from centralised to decentralised.

Go back to r/iamverysmart

Give us your smart reasons for why ethereum won’t be the future, and spell it correctly please.

>With blockchain we have an emerging tech that could enable a tectonic shift from centralised to decentralised.

no doubt, but it is ironic how its developing, going to decentralization through regulation. it seems like no matter what, the government and big corps will get their hands into controlling it.

>Give us your smart reasons for why ethereum won’t be the future
but they're not my reasons, user. they're facts that ethereum is not scalable, super slow, and is pretty much a prototype that needs to be replaced by ethereum 2.0, and at that point, Ether will be just another legacy crypto like the other 'classic' coins.

Ethereum will be Ethereum 2.0

I understand the basics, and I want to make money. Even after the crash I'm still up 200% after 2 months of investing. Not bad.

Can you say WHY you don't think ETH or BTC will be "the future". Do you mean the tech is just overhyped, or are you saying that a newer innovation of some sort is far superiour?

There was something on the news about VISA releasing this instant payment app thing and you can send people money over email or some shit, they're just going to steal every good thing about crypto.

I read WPs like an autist.

Ok, well until the more advanced, update crypto's are invented, we have what we have, and what currently exists is exciting and has a lot of potential already.

Do you mean stuff like plasma? Even if they did need to do a hard fork you understand that means all existing ETH would provide them ETH 2.0 on the new chain?

Making transactions and smart contract execution scale is actively under development by many people. If Ethereum fails at scaling it will be another chain or product like Polkadot that takes this market.

This. I hate to say it. But I think xrp will be the one to lead that way.

>etherium

>blindly tossing your money around just to get rich?
Yep
pretty much

No bank is ever going to use XRP and it isn't actually a decentralized cryptocurrency. It's on scam level in my opinion

Yes I actually do understand the basics and know that ETH will struggle to pull of what they intend to. Decentralized computing is expensive ans blockchains keep growing in size without limit.

XRP was the first serious coin to offer an alternative. No blockchain, synchronous operation, no PoW. XLM is the same idea, but improved and properly decentralized. I'm all in on XLM but so far it hasn't really paid off as well as I hoped, the crash got it like everything else. But unlike other coins I can be sure it will recover, so far there's no contender in sight.

You understand that Ethereum keeps evolving.
The ETH you bought at 5 dollars is very different from this ETH at 1000, same toke better tech

>Ethereum will be Ethereum 2.0
sure, but it will still fork. then Ethereum 2.0 doesnt even sound like it will be much more capable than current.

I just don't understand why Bitcoin happened with it. Just cause somebody called it a coin.

I also don't understand why anyone would use one for anything. Its not fundamentally secure by itself. I see why bitcoins version is because they require very high difficulty for finding a hash with ever increasing leading zeros. This takes tons of electicity and computation time.

What if you don't require blocks to have hashes that need a high work factor? What stops a race to 51 percent and recalculating all hashes after spoofing some data? The last block is wide fucking open.

If it's not decentralized forget about it. If it's not hard to add to forget about it.

You know the only real ..

If plasma/sharding is actually usable and people call develop for it like they do normally with Solidity it will be a 1000x speedup.

2018 is the year of privacy and platform coins. ETH will still progress and show its reign this year but Neo and Obsidian will flourish this year.

>Can you say WHY you don't think ETH or BTC will be "the future".
you can already see how slow, expensive to use, and useless they are, and they're only a few years old and only begun going mainstream.

>Neo and Obsidian will flourish this year
Lol you have to be kidding.

It's slow because it's basically an R&D project that has to be released to progress and speculators have turned it into a bubble.

The expense and scaling problems are recognized issues among anyone developing a DAPP and are things that are difficult to solve, but being worked on by multiple different teams with vested interests in solving the issues.

>expensive to use
same was said about the internet

I was shilling pfr and prl here for you on /biz since both were 0.07 and 0.01 respectively. Get profit on egas and make me (and you) rich.
Take a look@ coinmarketcap.com/currencies/ethgas/

>>expensive to use
>same was said about the internet
yes, but my point is not that blockchain is useless. just that ethereum and bitcoin are basically prototypes, and will be replaced by newer blockchains because they have to be

Just buy EGAS and hold it...13mil max supply and the price is sub $0.10 - at $1 it will only be 13mil market cap and even if it turns out to be a scamcoin thats still 10x returns.
Take a look@ coinmarketcap.com/currencies/ethgas/

>If Ethereum fails at scaling it will be another chain or product like Polkadot that takes this market.

that's what i mean... at current, most block chains are useless, we we're betting (in ethereums case) that scaling/sharding will be sufficient in updates.

Lol you retards what would I need Internet or emails for. If I want to tell somebody something I just use a telephone. This whole stuff computer and dial up modem take like forever to load. This will never amount to anything. Stop wasting your time with it. Stop it. Stop writing this search engine fag. No. Stop it. Reeeeeeeeeee

Yeah that’s cool and all but everyone knows the best way to earn money is a pump server. Check us out at

discord gg/YQqTCqt

i'd say i know a fair bit about buttcoins. theyre like cash but digital.

Should I buy another $5k worth of Ethereum at $940-980?

Yur retard

we going sub 900 again
HOLD THE FUCK ON

>mfw I got in at 850 and refused to sell at the top until eventually I had to get out at 1050 and lost more than half of my profit

I'm not even to rebuy this until the shitshow is over and after christmas crash (not as significant as this one too) ETH was recovering for over a week

Ethereum already has a critical mass of developers. It’s very unlikely that any competitor would be able to catch up.

yeah but development cycles come and go quickly. devs (including myself) move around easily, so I wouldn't bet on it for that reason. and, no matter how many devs are working on your platform, if the platform isnt able to support the growth, and shakes just a bit, devs will shake off and go elsewhere.

>devs (including myself)

sorry pajeet but you're full of shit

>sorry pajeet but you're full of shit
I agree with him. Look ETH will always be the developer's first choice given the rich amount of libraries and documentation.

But if this thing fails to scale for a long long time, the devs will be forced to move to another platform that fixed the scaling problem.

This is why 2018 will probably be the smart contract scaling wars with smart contract platforms being in the top of the marketcap list.

said i was a dev, not a dev for ethereum.

this isn't some grand insight, if you are invested in blockchain for it's current capabilities you're an idiot who deserves to lose money

ETH is where it's at because it has more potential and inertia than any other coin, and seems to be the only project I can find actively working towards sharding (which is the gamechanger in crypto)

Ofc they do, Why wouldn‘t they?

>Look ETH will always be the developer's first choice given the rich amount of libraries and documentation
Devs are not loyal. If a competitor shows up with nice features they might just migrate. Think about blockchains as libraries. They come and go all the time. A few years ago one would think Angular would reign over frontend libraries. Then everyone switched to React. Sooner or later people will switch to something else.

>my point is not that blockchain is useless

>this isn't some grand insight, if you are invested in blockchain for it's current capabilities you're an idiot who deserves to lose money

but this is why i said it's interesting or funny, because it seems like most people here dont understand that.

>ETH is where it's at because it has more potential and inertia than any other coin, and seems to be the only project I can find actively working towards sharding (which is the gamechanger in crypto)

being that scaling is the gamechanger, and knowing that most blockchain devs know this, i would assume that most blockchain devs are working on the scaling problem and all have shared or similar ideas, therefore the chances are just as favorable for any other blockchain as it is for ethereum, or maybe starting from scratch makes it easier for new blockchains.

i wouldn't bet on ether either way. i mean just look at how quickly something like ripple jumped up the charts. this is going to be like the game of thrones.

most people here don't even know what the fuck blockchain is in the first place

Did you even read my second paragraph.... >But if this thing fails to scale for a long long time, the devs will be forced to move to another platform that fixed the scaling problem.

>being that scaling is the gamechanger, and knowing that most blockchain devs know this, i would assume that most blockchain devs are working on the scaling problem and all have shared or similar ideas, therefore the chances are just as favorable for any other blockchain as it is for ethereum, or maybe starting from scratch makes it easier for new blockchains.
obviously developers and projects aren't equally qualified?

you buy Ethereum because your money is literally on them solving the problem first - in the current landscape that is probably the safest bet you can make, for many reasons:

1) The big research on sharding and PoS is done by Ethereum researchers
2) Interest in Ethereum as a smart contract platform is VASTLY ahead of ALL other projects combined
3) Their roadmap is SPECIFICALLY laid out to solve sharding

>i wouldn't bet on ether either way
sounds like a missed opportunity, but enjoy the view