Is buying a house a wise investment?

is buying a house a wise investment?

Most the time you gotta pay to live in shelter.

Renting is like pressing the snooze button on being homeless.

Buying a cheap house and paying it off will give you the biggest peace of mind you will ever experience imo. It might be hard at first but in the end worth it, just make sure you don't go over board on the purchase, make it a cheap purchase then start investing heavy as fuck.

Or you could just live in a van for awhile.

Yes. You are now in charge of your own shelter, a basic necessity for life.

Just keep living in your mom's basement and collecting pretend internet meme money like everyone else on this board.

I don't think buying a house would qualify as an investment?

It depends where you live, and what your property taxes are like.

If it's in California, fuck no.

is buying a house as simple as saying as buying a house? im only 18 so i dont know

everything in life is an investment, even if it doesn't involve money. Learning how to invest your time, how to invest in your health (diet, exercise, etc.) everything in life is an investment.. EVERYTHING!!

No, homes are not an investment. You would be better off renting and putting the extra savings into crypto.

Depends where you live but not really.

Let's say you normally pay 1000 dollars in rent. If you buy the place, you'll only have to pay around 100-200 dollars in property taxes and whatnot.

This will save you 800x12 = 9600 dollars a year.

Assuming the apartment/house cost you around 300,000 dollars then 9600 dollars a year would equal a 3.2% interest.

So, if you can invest your money in a way that'll earn you more than 3.2% interest, it's a bad investment.

On the other hand, those 3.2% are ROCK solid (assuming the housing market doesn't crash and burn)-.

its as easy as having the money and/or credit to buy one

We're going to fix it and flip it for maximum gains.

To add, this napkin math doesn't take into account the fact that as a home owner, you're solely in charge of maintaining/repairing the house. Add this cost on top of it and renting + investing money in stocks isn't a terrible alternative.

Depends on area, i live in an area where the prices have skyrocketed over thr last 2 years; you'd have to be retarded to buy before this bubble bursts. So just research and see how home prices have been doing in your area.

That being said, if you're gonna stay there for like 10+ years, your value is pretty much guaranteed to go up.

This is a big motivation behind the question.

Is it just the property taxes or are there other factors about California that make home owning I’ll advised? Besides just being in CA, of course.

This is helpful, thanks!

>Let's say you normally pay 1000 dollars in rent. If you buy the place, you'll only have to pay around 100-200 dollars in property taxes and whatnot.
you do realize that rent includes property taxes? you think people just rent out property and not make money on it? If there are people renting out property and not turning a profit or breaking even every year they are retarded.

If you do the math on a property it is cheaper to buy as long as there is no major repairs for the first 5-10 years.

Source: i've been a landlord for 7 years

Or you could be me
>Make tons of money off crypto
>Just stay with random women I meet or in motels
>Ride motorcycle to next place, setup positions on occassion with tablet.

Both wrong

Homes are investments. Just like you can make a bad trade in stocks you can make a bad buy in real estate. Doesn't mean it's not an investment. My last deal was 10k down, profited 100k in equity appreciation, and had 1000$ dollars in cash flow while I held the property. That's including all expenses.

just buy a house, it takes worry away.

say you are renting, what if the owner stops paying the mortgage and the bank takes the house and kicks you out?

Maybe every year the landlord raises the rent on you, after 2 years the rent is higher than what it should be then you look to moving?

Maybe you dislike the landlord and always have problems with them because it's "their house"?

seriously just buy a fucking house and take pride in ownership. Don't live under someone elses thumb, as soon as you get YOUR shelter your mind will be so much clearer and then if you ever want to move just simply sell or rent it out.

People that say to rent are just big pussies that are probably millennials that are too afraid of big boy life that can't even make any commitment in life even the most basic as in buying your own shelter

In the long run housing roughly tracks inflation

The opposite can alse be argued. While renting you don't have to worry about shit.
>Something breaks
not my problem
>Want to move
not a problem, etc.

i've thought about doing this so many times but with a vanagon.

Problem is i already own 3 houses that are paid off and currently being rented out, my girlfriend owns a home that is paid off and i live with her. I have practically no bills and just chill all day trading stocks and crypto.

getting a 200k-500k loan for a house so you can wagecuck for 30-50 years to pay it off while your house will devalue for sure.

duno really. i mean if you have it cash - why not. otherwhise. i wouldnt do it.

This faggot does yoga, I can tell

Depends where you live. In the capital of Finland your house will gain more and more value the more time passes by.

>not my problem
sounds like an entitled child desu

are you just going to rent forever? I rent out houses all the time to 40+ year olds and they sound like such pussies sometimes calling me up with some sob story of how their check hasn't come yet and they are going to pay me as soon as possible and that their kid is sick and blah blah blah. I've evicted plenty of people 40+. seriously how lame is that. Last lady left all her shit in the front yard and it rained all over it and it never rains where i live (southern california) she has 3 daughters and they will probably constantly move because their mom didn't establish any home for them. The rent was only $1,000 a month, she could have bought that very house and only had a $725 mortgage with a $5,000 down payment. Her first month and security deposit was $2000 if she would have roughed it somwhere with very cheap rent and saved up the down payment she would be way better off in the long run buying rather than paying rent every month.

Dont be delusional, there is rough times coming to finland with baby boomers retiring and country beign up to neck in debt. Something will give in and it is not going to be pretty

Houses are store-of-value not investments.

That’s great but then I’m stuck living in FUCKING FINLAND

>the housing market can only go up forever!!!

It was, but not now

>The stock market waned after the tech bubble burst in 2000, while home prices rose. Expectations for continued price increases led to widespread speculation among individuals who had never been in the housing market before except as a homeowner. I knew the top was near when one former client liquidated his IRA account to speculate on two Florida homes in 2005.

You know there is a finite supply of real estate on earth right?

no yoga, but i do garden. I grow my own vegetables and my own weed. Meat i buy is usually grass fed. I was shot in the abdomen when i was 16 and have had to be careful what i eat ever since. If I eat a steady diet with fruits and vegetables i can eat a good amount of junk food, but if i just eat junk food i feel like complete fucking shit and my digestive system gets out of whack. I put that part in there about health because it's true. Take care of your body, you only get one.

As long as there are inflationary currencies being used to buy houses, this will be true for a long time.

Finland is filled with retards believing this, houses cost from 300k upwards, with salaries beign often in 20k range. That means 30 year debts with food+gas+heat beign also from the more expensive end of europe. When the baby boomers retire and start demanding their gibs from goverment this ponzi scheme will collapse faster than bitconnect

I mean this is fucking FINLAND not miami and houses are more expensive here wtf

>You know there is a finite supply of real estate on earth right?
You know there is at any given time only a finite number of people who need housing, right?

Going up bc inflation is not investment-tier, it's store of value tier (no real increase)

part of me wishes there was another housing crisis so I can buy up a bunch of cheap houses and rent them out

one of my dads friends bought a bunch of houses during the last housing crisis in the US and is now sitting fat, collecting checks every month and just living it up.

how did you accumulate your real estate?

>how did you accumulate your real estate?
i got lucky. I worked construction from age 16-24 but when i was 19 (during the lows of 2009) i received some money from getting shot when i was 16. I bought some cheap as fuck houses, and i mean real pieces of shit and fixed them up with my construction knowledge and now im 27 and haven't worked in 3 years.

>You know there is at any given time only a finite number of people who need housing, right?
Not after I fuck every woman on the planet

>Not after I fuck every woman on the planet
AIDS

nice man, it takes grit to work construction. I did it for 2.5 years, wasnt for me

where are you located? did you buy houses in shitty neighborhoods that eventually get gentrified?

Take care of your colon, you only only get one. Unless you get shot, then you can get a loop ostomy and have two!

In Australia we have negative gearing which as far as i can tell means people are willing to take a loss each week (which then can be claimed off their tax) for the potential capital gains after a few years.

AIDS doesn't kill you in a day, and that's all I need.

Construction isn't bad if you can find the joy in it, problem with me was that once i got into stocks i was making more money with stocks and rentals that i would look at my check from working hard labor and realize i was wasting my time and my potential. I think everyone should do some construction at some time in their life, it builds character imo.

Im in southern california, One of the neighbor hoods was shitty but grew to be a pretty decent neighbor hood (2 houses there) another neighborhood was complete shithole (niggers) and still is a complete shithole, its condos. The other day someone broke into a condo there by busting a hole in the wall of a connected garage. theres always shootings there. Only reason why i bought there was because it was the cheapest neighborhood i could find and i had to save up awhile to get it, when i bought it i had about $35 left in my bank account and then the first person i rented it to didn't pay the rent so i had to evict them and it took months to get them out. At the same time a heater went out at another property so i had to borrow money from my sister, I was in debt and super stressed out i was 21 at the time and i thought id made the biggest mistake of my life by putting just about every penny into these properties, but now years later it was all worth it. Once you get rentals dialed in its all gravy.

My advice if you where to ever get into rentals is to do things right the first time and when you replace things make sure they are things that are hard as fuck to break (towel racks, toilet paper holders, sink faucets, bath tubs that don't have tile)

thats the spirit. My doc said you can only get it once so it can't be that bad.

I had some complications afterward, i had some obstructions and was fed through my vein for a few months. Really is important to take care of digestive health, helps you get over sickness quicker too.

Live in a rented cuckshed that screams limitations or have a dream home paradise to utilize however you see fit. Closed on this 2 story in FL on the street I grew up on last year with my 3.265% VA loan and pay less than the rented hellhole I was in just 11 months ago.

Did you buy in compton or some shit?

Looking to buy a house. I just don't know where. I'm looking at Washington or Oregon.

people that live there like to think it's compton. I wasn't racist until that property came into my life.

>Housing
>An investment

At any time prior to the early 2000's sure.

>Inb4 commies repossess your house and send you to the gulags for being a rich snob.

>Moving back to the street you grew up

So you're "that" kind of boring, huh user?

CAn you talk about that va loan? How much did they give you?

no, buy an appartement

Depends. I bought one in the bay area two months ago for $600k
I could sell it now for probably $650k

Three months making $50k...
Plus the money I pay every month towards it is money I can tap into not that I would but it's a nice option.

In my area the economy is good wages are high and I'm near silicon valley. Population will keep Increasing and land is finite plus supply is low and the laws prevent new housing developments in my area so its a good investment.

In europe definitley not.

houses need a longer time to sell, need a lot maintainance (money) and will loose value because many people want to live in the city now

buy appartments in cities that are economically growing. Value will probably rise, easy maintainance and you'll have an very easy time selling it

If you want to live in a house then rent it

Oi goyim don't forget the 8% (((realtor))) fee

Except no one really saves this spare money from renting, they blow it on shit

Paying a mortgage is a good forced savings account. The interest is huge so pay it off ASAP

So homes are for stupid people who can't control their spending?

Factoring out capital appreciation, the main benefit of home ownership is that you receive a stream of tax-free imputed revenue in the form of being able to live there for free

In the future I would like to be able to time the market to get a long term fixed interest loan for some prime real estate before the crypto-driven hyperinflation kicks in.

If y'all cucks buy houses in Shanghai or Shenzhen just 5 years ago you'd make 10x.

50k is laughable. Chinks laughing at y'all.

600k in the bay area puts you in a shitty neighborhood with