Am I the only person who realizes the "marketcap" is a false flag?

The so-called "marketcap" is at $577 billion usd right now, but I hope you don't think that $577 billion usd have actually flowed into this game just yet.

This is not a traditional financial market where every asset is recorded and computed.

Most of our precious coins are nowhere near exchanges, which are currently used to calculate the price, which is used to guess the "marketcap" of crypto.

Wait until actual billions and trillions begin flowing into this market and you will see green like you have never fucking seen it before.

I'm looking at coinmarketcap now and literally every chart is practically a replica of bitcoins chart. What the hell

>Wait until actual billions and trillions begin flowing into this market and you will see green like you have never fucking seen it before.

This will probably happen after the "shitcoin cleansening" that will take place from here to 5 years or less, where only the true working products with actual use case will survive.

No and most people don't get this. It doesn't take $1 billion dollars to get a crypto to $1 billion market cap. It's really like only a few million dollars. The only coins out there that actually have $1 billion invested in them are like the top 3 cryptos and that's it.

wot is marky cap?

>Most of our precious coins are nowhere near exchanges, which are currently used to calculate the price
you're a fucking idiot, circulating supply isn't based on exchange volume, it's based on total coins mined at the current moment

Also consider: there's estimated to be like 3 million BTC which has been lost forever over. This inflates the market cap of Bitcoin. It can also be applied to other coins but they're younger and smaller. The circulating supply for many coins doesn't actually show the real circulating supply. Some coins like ripple have half of them locked up and hoarded. Also, I can go in ED and trade a new shitcoin I made for a high ass price even though nobody actually uses it and inflate the market cap. Since so many new coins are coming out they inevitably bump up the market cap because they have some amount of value.

>am I the only one
No. Everyone knows this

While this thread is alive can someone tell me if the 24h volume is important? asking because it's pretty low right now

What is interesting about this, is that if the marketcap is not 577b, it means that we have much more room for growth.
People usually compare this bubble to the dotcom one, if instead of 577b we have actually 50b then we're probably very far away from a pop.

Yeah, it didn't use to be like this. Alts tanked whenever bitcoin would rise or fall, and prospered when bitcoin traded sideways.
Now since the beginning of the year they follow bitcoin's exact movements.
I don't know what to think, I've seen some anons saying this is actually a sign of bitcoin losing dominance on the market.

I am actually really surprised that so few people seem to understand this. Look at this mongoloid in the wild, for instance: - this user genuinely does not understand the difference between how the price is calculated vs the "circulating supply". That has to be someone with an IQ lower than 90, right? How did they end up here?

This is a good point as well. Most people probably have no idea that there are "dead coins" out there. LOTS of them.

I know /old/biz/ does but consider there are a lot of people who genuinely have no idea.

>What is interesting about this, is that if the marketcap is not 577b, it means that we have much more room for growth.
>People usually compare this bubble to the dotcom one, if instead of 577b we have actually 50b then we're probably very far away from a pop.

Exactly this. The cultists on this board saying we are still in 1986 of the internet are probably right. Normans don't understand how our whole system works. This is beautiful.

sell nikka

Circulating supply is based on total coins mined you moron, otherwise the circulating supply of bitcoin (currently 16,813,412) wouldn't keep going up year over year, it would go down as coins were taken off exchanges and put into storage and private keys were lost.

Ironic that you call someone under 90 IQ but you don't understand even the most basic details about Bitcoin.

I can tell you

PROFESSIONAL FUD - DISREGARD THREAD
SAGE

Okay, perhaps I should have explained how retarded you are to yourself.

We are discussing the marketcap in this thread. Do you want to explain to me how the marketcap is calculated? Here, I'll do it for you.

Right now the "marketcap" of Bitcoin is just over $198bn. How did they arrive at that figure? They multiplied the circulating supply by the price. Is this an accurate assessment of how much money has gone into BTC? NO, $198bn has not been spent on virtual coins.

The price is determined with reference to the values listed on exchanges (currently $11.7k). But only a small amount of "circulating" coins are actually on those exchanges, and thus only a small amount of those coins are actually contributing to our calculation of the "price". This introduces a supply-demand mechanism not seen in traditional financial markets because nothing "dies" or is "hidden" there. It's all accounted for. Our system is different.

Do you see what the rest of us are talking about while you hit your head with a hammer? Nobody here is debating the amount of "circulating coins" you literal fucking mong.

whoa you're a genius

please explain

So you now realize that the markets are shallow and you won't be able to sell of your bags at current prices? Congratulations, babby just learned what liquidity is.

WOW OP, YOU MUST BE REALLY SMART

IF Amazon is said to be worth 600 billion, I thought Jeff Bezos injected 600 billion of his cash into his company, no!? You tell me its a lie? OMG, stocks are also pyramid schemes!?

I don't know if you're just baiting at this point or if you're legitimately below 80 IQ (in which case I apologize) but this means that we have a LOT more room for growth in the entire crypto market. It is not remotely over-valued, it is over-calculated.

Oh shit. Many green candles ahead of us gentlesirs

You just discovered this very basic fact about markets and you're calling other people under 80 IQ. Very ironic.

Crypto calculates "market cap" as:

>current price x coins in circulation

Which, is fucking dumb.

A single bitcoin trade that moves the price up or down shifts the "market cap" significantly as 1 coin is now worth something else, which is then multiplied across the entire coins in circulation.

Imagine a coin with 10 circulation

They are $1 each, so we have a $10 market cap.

Someone offers $5 for 1, which is accepted. Now we have a $50 market cap... lolwut.

You were the one who literally couldn't comprehend what we were talking about from the beginning.>>Most of our precious coins are nowhere near exchanges, which are currently used to calculate the price
>you're a fucking idiot, circulating supply isn't based on exchange volume, it's based on total coins mined at the current moment

this is you, this is what you sound like, and the bulk of your "social interaction" in the world is probably in angry communication over the internet, anonymously.

Marketcap is a fucking meme if you know basic math

>A single bitcoin trade that moves the price up or down shifts the "market cap" significantly as 1 coin is now worth something else

DUHH

>Marketcap is a fucking meme

No it's not

Also, key different with crypto to real world market caps:

Most crypto is paid for with more crypto.

Some crypto has probably never seen a real dollar go into it at all, and the price has solely been pumped with crypto buys.

That's why crypto is, as a whole, somewhat of a pyramid scheme - if everyone ran for the door, there simply isn't enough real money

thats not how it works. the price change will be relative to the volume of your trade, so if you offer $5 for only 1 (10% of total supply) the market cap will be $14

You sound buttblasted because you're under 80 IQ. If you reply to me again you are a retarded cuck.

>single $10,000 trade
>market cap moves several $million

That's the point retard... the market cap doesn't represent actual money going in

True, imagine if apple stock was used on the apple network

No, it's literally current price x circulating supply.

it would be worth several trillion dollars

yeah and just because you make one order for $5 doesn't automatically make the price $5. if you bought only 1 coin for $5 the price would go to $1.4

you don't get it either

no thats how the actual price is calculated

HODL till 2021

>sign of bitcoin losing dominance on the market.
it's literally losing dominance on the market
you can check on cmc jesus

>implying you make an order for 5 dollars
you would have to sell down to that price first you fucking mongoloid

kek