Made ridiculous gains from crypto over the past year, have held BTC since late 2012...

Made ridiculous gains from crypto over the past year, have held BTC since late 2012. Need some Veeky Forumsraelian advice.

Essentially 95% of my net worth is in crypto, this past month I've diversified out from BTC, yet I'm still looking to get some capital out for other investments.

I've been presented the opportunity to purchase a R44 Helicopter, possibly directly with BTC. (Which is preferred for obvious reasons.) I'm not a pilot, but a close family member is. They are also a flight instructor with their own company.

My question is, is a helicopter a good investment? Will I see a return on it? Personally I'm not much of a traveler, I don't like to drive and I don't see myself truly enjoying flying, though I'd like to learn someday.

So Veeky Forums, buy or no buy? Pic related.

Another for your trouble. Plz respond

Why would u think a helicopter is a good investment? You're just wanting Veeky Forums to validate your hyper expensive toy.

buy that shit

Now this is what we're talking about cryptorich.
Fuck lambos, buy the heli.

But I wouldn't consider it an investment. Maintenance and even fuel alone will offset any value gained by appreciation

I don't really think it is a good investment. The flight instructor is close family, and I think emotion is controlling this decision. I'm really looking for objective unbiased opinions. I also know nothing about the flight industry.

Maybe talk it over with your family member who is a pilot/instructor and see if it is a viable business opportunity to hire a pilot, maybe even themselves, to give tours.

If I had money to blow, I'd rather get a boat. Helicopters are cool, but I feel like a yacht is a better investment. /poorfag/'s opinion

lol how the fuck is this an investment. Its purely for enjoyment

this

fuck off OP

There is money in tours, training, and the added benefit of the "enjoyment" of owning a helicopter I suppose. I'm just beginning to think I won't see much if any return on it, and may have to pass at the dismay of family.

>helicopter
>investment

nice larp

Don't purchase.
Helicopters, planes require intensive and regular maintenance.
It's a money sink, just rent or share with someone who already owns.
Get lessons and don't purchase anything before you've been doing this for a few years.

I doubt you're at the point you can afford a helicopter on stand-by with pilot anyway, in which case you wouldn't have posted here.

This is what I was thinking. And no, it wouldn't be on stand-by, more of an 'investment' in the pilot and his company. Thanks for the response.

Tell us how much its worth and how much u gotta pay OP

just buy it if you want it, its not a good investment though no matter how you justify it

I've had some tea and cooled down. You probably could get a decent return if you put the effort into establishing a business etc.

But like other posters here have said plans like boats are a bit of a money pit..

It's a 2016 or 2017 Robinson R44 Raven II. I was told the price in USD would be a bit under 500,000. The price in BTC hasn't been negotiated or discussed.

Helis seem like boats to me, the best way to experience one is to use someone else's - huge hassle being responsible for the thing.

If it flies, floats or fucks, rent it

I see no utility in it for myself besides hassle, and getting to be a douchebag and say I own a helicopter I can't fly. I'm really just wondering if any return is possible, and the picture is becoming clearer to me.

Nice quads. The business is already established, the pilot already owns an R22 (two seater chopper) and a flight simulator, though I believe he may have just sold the latter. I'm beginning to realize the writing on the wall. Enjoy your tea.

You make scraps operating a private air service.
If you do make money, you will be flying around the clock. The hours rack up fast and gyros are expensive to maintain.
Since you are new money.
Buy appreciating assets.
Lease depreciating assets.
Just clean your money, pay your taxes and buy some real estate.

Buy it and learn. It's an investment in your happiness because it's an absolute rush. Let your instructor family member use it for the price of lessons. Honestly, it is the best thing I ever scraped together cash to do.

what do you need a helicopter for you NEET autist. you know the pinochet thing is just a meme

I think you read between the lines. Thank you for the advice, it is needed at this point in my life.

I'm destined to be miserable my entire life, and as much as I've already been flying this won't make me happy. This is a purely monetary question.

I have to ask, the pilot claimed that I could be out to make good money on lessons or tours, but as we are in a low pop, flat part of the country... I'm wondering if it was bullshit. Paranoia will destroy ya? Or am I getting scammed?

Thanks biz

ROI is terrible so no. If you lend it out maybe. Or if your friend runs a school where you can buy flying lessons or he organised expensive fly overs.

Dont buy it

100% getting scammed if you think you will be making money with it

AFAIK the money is actually OK, until something goes wrong. I work closely with a guy here who runs skydivers up in his fixed wing. He goes well but last year he had one thing go wrong and it was 'one of those things' that end up costing him ~150k USD to fix. Pretty massive. And to my knowledge the helis are typically worse for this, too.

maintenance is insanely expensive (labor time) and you HAVE to do it. This is why most people just rent. Cessna is far more economical. Whirlybirds are a fucking disaster

Pajeet posting about his gains.

This is what I feared.

I was being told maintenance is yearly, and not too expensive. I just didn't think this close family would be bullshitting me.

Nah son, these coins old. Pic related.

Those things are death traps dipshit

I wouldn't. From my understanding, helicopters are notoriously cranky of maintenance and the replacement parts are expensive.

If I had 90% of my net worth in crypto I'd want something unrelated - a helicopter certainly fits the bill there - but also safe - and a helicopter is the opposite of that. I would say it is riskier than crypto.

An exception might be if your flight instructor friend has a profitable business now, but is paying rediculous amounts of his profits to rental costs and can show you a quick return with what he expects to save on rentals if you partner with him.

If he's not willing to show you a couple past budgets, give a good estimate of how much he'd save if he was doing maintenance instead of renting, and give at least a handshake guarantee that you'd make your initial investment back faster than by renting out a home in your area, then he knows this is a bad deal for you.

Sorry to be a buzzkill OP

cheap maintenance on a heli? For sure do some independent research, maybe the've gotten better since I was into flying vehicles.

But it's also possible your friend is getting scammed if he's only ever rented. Simple solution - ask to see the actual numbers. Might want to try a forum for people who own helicopters also, see if what they're saying matches what the current owner is telling your friend.

Not a buzzkill my man, I believe emotion is clouding this decision and you offer the words of a realist.
Chekd. He owns an R22 and a Cessna, has a "guy" that does the yearly inspections and maintenance and says he has good prices.

I think I'm starting to understand why he wanted to do this deal so quickly. I just didn't think he would be looking to bullshit me, desu it's my fucking Dad.

Thanks for the help biz.

Ask your family member who owns helicopters you retard ass retard

I'm asking people who have no leverage and no conflict of interest dipshit

Are you retarded OP?
Of course he wants to do the deal quickly, the fucking engine is missing in the back.

>know nothing about the flight industry.

Mothafuka if you had the slightest clue you'd be calling it the aviation industry. Follow the crypto advice, don't spend money you can afford to lose.

If a heli is chump change for you, go for it and become invested in a flight school (again, only if you trust the family member, who is a pilot so it sounds like a Serious Man (c) and stuff).

If it will put a serious dent on your net worth, consider getting an accountant and exiting part of your position in fiat to buy stocks or land/property with it.

>flying an egg beater
You must hate money
If I ever make it big in crypto, I'm buying a Super Cub and spending the rest of my life cruising around Idaho, Montana, Alberta, BC, Alaska while camping at comfy back country strips

seems retarded, i'd buy real estate that cash flows or some mid tier corporate debt

Are you fucking retarded?
That red thing is a fucking black hole, there aren't many worse """investment""" than that.
Even a fucking lambo would be a better investment.

Are you retarded?

If it floats, flies, or fucks, its better to rent than to own.

Boats, helicopters/planes, women, they all bleed money like you wouldn't believe.

Plus you won't even fucking fly it, it'd just be sitting around collecting dust while hotter, better, cheaper helis come onto the market.

It sounds like you want to do it anyway and just want people to validate that you're not a retard but too bad, you're literally retarded.

Holy shit a helicopter is a liability. You're a fucking idiot

The only reason to ever buy a plane, helicopter, or boat is if you can't ejaculate or something unless you're on one.

Let some other retard deal with the maintenance and upkeep and just rent them on the rare occasion you actually feel like using them.

Fly high, crash low

Helos are being obsoleted by drones bruh

here's your answer btw OP they aren't wrong

>95% of worth in crypto
>thinks a helicopter is an investment

yep. this sounds like Veeky Forums to me.

It *can* be an investment, if it's purchase 1 of a bunch of helicopters you want to rent out to people. Like starting a heli rental business, or a helicopter tour business, something like that.

But "investing" in just "a helicopter" is like "investing" in a car - totally retarded.

these are a terrible 'investment' and a terrible business model (renting them out)... I know this from family experience. the maintenance on helicoptors is orders of magnitude higher than airplanes, fucking terrible idea. also these things crash all the time because people are flying when they should not be (weather)... you will regret it OP. Please listen and stay the fuck away from helicoptors - money pit

Good investment? No.

But flying is awesome, I would advise getting a license before you but the heli though

>boats are a bit of a money pit
I believe they've watched a few too many episodes of pawn stars.

KEK

Flip it

>anything mechanical and mass produced
>investment

no pepe or wojak would describe my disapproving face right now

If it flies, floats or fucks... rent it

R E A L E S T A T E

This

Plus a helicopter is hard to fly. Most everyone starts with planes because they are much more forgiving for mistakes.

for the love of god do not do it, helicopters are WAY more expensive to fix and maintain then a fixed wing aircraft, there is so many things that are hard to reach and get to and just for that all mechanics charge you more.

T. Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic

helicopters are a money pit. They're like planes on steroids when it comes to maintenance.
If you were running a pilot/owner operation you could make some money, but you aren't and you have no idea what to do with it, so don't. There are Youtube channels with owner/pilots running their daily jobs and youtubing about it, that's good if you like the life, but it seems like this isn't your case.

Talk it over with your close family member, they'll be able to point you in the right direction, anyone else will just tell you to stay clear of it.

This. You'll go far user

As a pilot I can promise you it's a terrible terrible idea.
To legally operate that aircraft for profit you need to:
>Pay for an air operator certificate
>Appoint a chief pilot (approved by regulatory body with a flight test)
>Appoint a chief of maintenance (can be contracted out)

After you've done all this you only get about 2500 hours out of a single helicopter until you have to pay the cost for a full rebuild. Making a profit out of one chopper is basically impossible especially if you have no skills you can put towards it.
The only time you can make money is by operating it privately (within your own company) for things like mustering your own cattle or spraying your own farms.

waste of money

That thing is super cool, imagine how awesome it will be to fly it

This is legitimately one of the dumbest fucking ideas I've seen on this board, which is saying a lot. Whoever the family member is that you speak of that is trying to sell you on this idea -- never trust him for advice ever again.

Oh, it's your dad, you say? Tough luck. Stop crying. A boy doesn't grow up until his father dies, though that death can be figurative.

Take this as an opportunity to learn how to think for yourself -- and that doesn't mean overthinking, questioning, and feeling sorry for yourself. Your instincts are there for a reason. Start paying attention to them because no one can take better care of you than yourself.

Helicopter investment -- jesus fucking christ, man.

My words are harsh, but think about it -- if you're seriously considering changing your entire life based on some obvious bullshit your father said, you need to wake the hell up because life is never going to stop kicking you in the balls. Existence is a series of tragedies, but if you don't take responsibility for what little you can, it will be hell.

"The yes-man is your enemy, but your friend will argue with you."

tl;dr don't buy the helicopter and go clean your room.

Pilot here, I don't even like getting in single engine piston airplanes anymore. The chance of an engine failure is just too high. When I was young it was fine but now I have too much to lose. You're talking about getting into a piston powered helicopter which is even worse since you don't have any wings to glide to a safe landing when the engine fails. You are just autorotating down hard. If you survive you are looking at likely paralysis from the impact or lifelong disability and pain. The only way I'd get in a light aircraft these days is if it's turbine powered. Good luck.

>A boy doesn't grow up till his father dies
Big if true

What is turbine powered, like jets?

DONT DO IT.

Ditto.

I've always thought this about helicopters, if a small or large jet loses an engine, no problem got another one.

If it loses both engines, no problem, wings to glide.

To be fucked on a plane you need 2 engines and the wings to fail.

1 engine in a helicopter fails and your auto fucked. I hate the things.

How the fuck do you end up paralyzed from autorotation landing?
There's a reason pilots practice that stuff.

Jordan how nice of you to join us

Turbo-prop or in the case of a helicopter a turbine engine driving the rotor.

Buy the helicopter and commission a company to place monstrous dildos on the propeller blades. Then you will have world's biggest dildocopter

If it flies, floats or fucks, it’s cheaper by the hour.

Actually helicopters can autorotate to a landing.
And helicopters can and often have multiple engines.

Civilian liners are of course safer, but their damn air liners, a normal civilian light airplane usually cannot fly on 1 engine.

Exactly what I was going to post.

OP, if you want a safe investment, you want to buy the following:

DRUGS, and GPUS (can even sell back and make a profit kek). If you wanted to make USD profits, I suggest you go look for cheap products you know you could sell for more from desperate people, a lot of people are unloading their cars right now around tax season.

A twin engine airplane that cannot fly on one engine is an exception. Otherwise there is little point in having two engines.

>So Veeky Forums, buy or no buy?
No. The cost per year is absurd. If you like to fly, I'd rather try a standard glider or a hang glider. Both cheaper, more enjoyable and satisfying.

Only way you’re making profit off tours is if you’re out in Hawaii.