Is it worth getting and learning Linux for storing cypto and protecting my privacy...

is it worth getting and learning Linux for storing cypto and protecting my privacy? i don't feel comfortable with my shit on a windows laptop but it's a lot of work.

at the same time it's stupid to be cavalier with my money.

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxmint.com/
community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2026
firejail.wordpress.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's easy enough. Not 3 hours easy but definitely 3 days and you're up and running easy.

I'm on Lubuntu and loving it, but anything with buntu should be good.

just install ubuntu LTS and call it a day, shit is easier than windows

just make sure you select both full disk encryption and encrypted home folder during the installation

Lubuntu is good, but if you are used to windows you will find it boring and less usable unless you are a power user. You really only need linux if you plan on getting involved with mining or some form of development.

If youre just gonna hold some shit coins in a cold wallet of your choice then you dont need to go and learn linux. However linux is a good tool to have up the sleeve.

This isn't 2006. It takes like 5 clicks and 30 minutes to install Ubuntu.

Use a bootable version of tails on a USB. Don't even have to worry about installing to computer.

just get a trezor or ledger nano otherwise youll be using linux for the wrong reasons. I use linux because windows is a shitty OS

Do it. And get Linux Mint for starters.

Fuck windows, I would not able to sleep at night if my wallet was on windows, haha.

no you cuck use a pc for gaming and buy a mac for crypto like a normal chad

Install Gentoo

>anything with buntu should be good
Faggot detected. If you’re not using at the minimum arch, you should go ahead and throw your computer in the trash and fuck back off to using an abacus and some papyrus.
OP if you want a real OS install gentoo.

yeah, gnu/linux is pretty nice for the crypto and mining stuff. start with ubuntu and learn the basics of the command line terminal. after some time you will become a tech savy linux user.

This. Out of all of the normie distros, Mint is the best. It’s got an installer that’s easy as fuck, and it’s not a steaming pile of shit that is Ubuntu.
Really just don’t install Ubuntu, there are an incredible amount of better distros that are just as easy to setup these days.

Yes
linuxmint.com/

I'm going away for an extended period of time and don't want to bring my ledger. Would like to be able to trade with peace of mind.

Is full disk encryption possible through the default installer? What are some good, basic precautionary measures?

Install solus

It's not a bad idea to use a USB drive to create a bootable Linux drive, for the sole purpose of banking/investment and other things that need to be secure and private.

It also keeps you from having to use Linux as your main OS, something lots of folks wouldn't feel comfortable with.

Debian Linux is the one true way.

>biggest, most stable developer community
>modern kernel and driver support
>huge package repo
>solid GUI installer
>no slow, mandatory “compile packages yourself” BS
>everyone who knows Linux knows Debian

Flash drives can fail suddenly and inexplicably. For Bitcoin stupidity, I’d want a RAID-1 mirror with ZFS and ECC RAM.

nixos is best os

Anyone has experience with Quebes/whonix/tails?

Looks like the proper crypto way.

You can enable full disk encryption from the installer, it doesn’t appear to be as easy as clicking a button though. I don’t use mint, primarily Arch for personal use, and CentOS for servers so I could be wrong. Fortunately there are a ton of step by step walk throughs that if you follow the instructions correctly are impossible to fuck up.
community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2026

As for good precautionary measures, the disk encryption will cover you from anyone being able to physically hijack your data. As for the software side, fortunately since Linux isn’t built to be spyware from the get-go and not used by actual retards en mass, the default config on any reputable distros is fairly fine as long as your not going around downloading the sketchiest of sketchy shit and throwing out your passwords to anyone that asks. Just make sure you at least set a good password on the root account. But, if you’re looking to do a little more it won’t hurt to look into setting up stricter firewall settings, if you use SSH set it up to only allow key auth and disable root ssh login those will keep any Russian script kiddie from hijacking your system for shits and giggles. Outside of that any normal person should be fairly secure and infinitely more secure that any Windows install.

he's a first time Linux user.
gentoo is suicide.

>is it worth getting and learning Linux for storing cypto and protecting my privacy?
It's worth it for the sake of learning Linux. shit will change your life

you will never look at windows users the same

Any suggestions on what distro of Linux to install on my Raspberry Pi if I want to stake coins on it?

Ironically packaging is worst aspect of debian
>shitloads of downstream patches
>packages just appear randomly from some maintainer
>no recipes or any sort of sane system to reproduce package, everyone uses their own silly thing
>packages are split into million pieces causing tons of headache
>lots of politics and crap related to packaging
>apt is slow

Once you are deep enough into linux, you'll grow distaste to debian based distros. But they are probably good starting point anyways.

Thanks, will look into it.

Also of course to add to the list
>packages are often very outdated
>because there's no system, it's PITA to create own packages
>3rdparty packages are often garbage (say from some company and so) and they conflict with system packaging

install raspbian or if you are more tech savy then arch linux arm. both are great distros for rpi.

What’s your familiarity with Linux? Not super comfortable? Raspbian is fine, it’s a Debian derivative so it’ll be stable and secure and there are tons of resources for how to do anything on it.
Familiar with Linux? Personally I’d likely use Arch. But I’d also consider Fedora, and maybe FreeBSD if I wanted to play with something I haven’t used extensively.
Or you could just install Gentoo.

Glad there are some sensible anons here. I don’t get why Debian gets thrown around so much as a good choice for personal use, it’s packaging system is complete shit. Only reasonable in a server environment because the person making that decision is a complete retard that’s afraid of an update skullfucking everything.
Also, I don’t take anyone that says they are a power user or computer savvy that still only uses windows. Christ, CMD/Powershell are fucking unusable. Haven’t had a windows install on any of my shit since XP, and my XP install getting fucked by a virus is what led middle school me down the righteous path of GNU/Linux computing.

Dude linux is so fucking easy, all you need to know is cd and ls

Debian is recommended so often because it was(arguably still is) the most bare-bones distro.
you have CD images (until 9) with the official packages at release date. This is the fucking shit for air-gapped PCs.
A lot of people started on Debian.
Debian is the best.
aptitude is slow, but apt is faster (it's not as fast as yum, i'll give you that)
I disagree with your opinion on PS, as it's quite usable. I'm not a fan of their object oriented approach (moreso how they interpreted that definition than anything else).
I do agree with you that a LOT of people that run Debian are still in the old mindset of 'erg, my UPTIME' when it is VERY important to make sure your kernel is up to date and that your critical server will recover from a reboot.

The guy you referenced said that building your own packages is a PITA, i totally disagree.
He also said that 3rd party packages are trash.
He may be right, based on shitty dependency hell, but that's part of using *nix.

If OP wants to get good at Linux, I recommend a CLI, minimal install of Debian.

My goto recommendation for someone wanting to learn linux is to get a Debian core installed then build a OpenVZ environment with one VM based on the host's configuration.
OP:
Read my post, do this and you'll make good money.
It could take you 2weeks to 1year.

>Is full disk encryption possible through the default installer?
Yes
>What are some good, basic precautionary measures?
Firejail
firejail.wordpress.com/

Where to find the instructions to use Tails and the VM that uses Windows XP?

Someone rec that last time I asked if I should buy a laptop for crypto

I'm a brainlet but I have morales so I've been running Linux Mint and loving it.

Check Qubes OS, it works with virtual machines. One different VM for each coin / wallet and you are reasonably safe. It needs more work and research than the average linux distro but you shouldn't be lazy with your assets. Windows is a no go.

just leave it on an exchange with 2fa

I dunno man. Debian has always been kind to me. There's no fucking around with dependency conflicts. Stability gives me great peace of mind.
All other distro's try to do what debian does. Then they slap on their gimmick. Debian just does what Debian does.

short and sweet - yes

yea. Plus you might learn some new things that can help you in other areas of life (software wise)

Arch with i3
Anything else is shit

YES
ubuntu is best to start with
very easy, huge community
most questions you type on google will end up being answered
fuck microshit
for an office replacement, look into SoftMaker Office 2018 (you have to pay, but it's not so pricy)

LibreOffice can be a pain.

Firefox works very well (maybe better than any other platform) on linux

im thinking about running Qubes, anyone have an opinion on it?

What am I gonna learn if I do as you say? Genuine question... I'd probably be closer to a year than 2weeks desu, but I'd like to be less tech retarded/vulnerable.

May just quickly install Mint/ubuntu for secure crypto, then get something cheap for learning on.

This guy thinks it's ok.

ya but that dumb faggot also said not to buy monero

He knows his shit, perhaps he's right.

Any links?

i cant be bothered but basically he explained the tech in such a way that he clearly didnt know what he was talking about. he doesn't know everything

Tried to use whonix on my Ubuntu, but when I initiate the Whonix-Gateway VM, my machine freezes. Anyone had similar experiences?

also, north korea and other smarter faggots than snowden use monero, zcash is shit

Lol try 3 minutes. Non CS majors are so retarded

Until a link is provided to what he said, I'd rather stick to his opinions. You also most likely misstated/misunderstood his conclusion.

stay away from the Ubuntu troll

I'm using it now and it's pretty shit.

>download a .deb file
>try to open it with the default software installer that comes with Ubuntu
>it just sits there and doesn't give me an error message

OK...
>sudo gdebi shit.deb
>it fucking installs just fine

everything that's packaged in Ubuntu is shit software
WTF is totem? Couldn't they just prepackage SMPlayer? Totem doesn't actually play half of my files correctly

Also, a software upgrade broke my theme. You would think an *update* I get automatically wouldn't fuck my shit up, especially since I turned off kernel updates, but here we are

again i cant be bothered but if you look around and use your brain it will become obvious

just like Nobel laureates shitting on crypto as worthless when it's obvious that they haven't spent even one hour of focused research

I have a yubikey for mt.gox

should I have left my 100 BTC there?

>use your brain
>distrust a reputable, knowledgable person and trust me, random biztard
>accuse reputable person of not doing research, where the issues discussed were vital to his physical survival
>there's a link somewhere, but I lost it

Could not make this shit up

>Lol
newfags are so retarded

>linux
>mining
Linux is shit for mining, the drivers are garbage and solving problems becomes a mess if you don't know what the fuck you are looking at
>b-but you can save on a hard drive
poorfags need not apply

You should learn Linux because you aren't a faggot.